Additional Crest Mod WIP

ty_taurus

So I've been digging through the script files a bunch, and I'm thinking of creating a new batch of crests that I can share for anyone to add to their own game as well as updating a few existing ones. EDIT: I'll withhold specifics for now as I continue to try and navigate the scripts.

August 29, 2021 Update:

So just to update what progress has looked like cause it's been a bit limited. There are some effects that seemed simple, yet I can't quite get them to work the way I want to, so a lot of the Pokemon that I think deserve more unique properties might just need to be put on hold, but I'll keep experimenting and trying to figure them out. In the mean time, I think I'd like to funnel focus onto specific Pokemon a few at a time and prompt some options to see what others think. So with that said, here are the first options I'll be working on:

Masquerain Crest:

Option A: Water STAB and Water Resistances

- Thematically, I like this option. It gives Masquerain an even stronger Hydro Pump but also a large slew of resistances and reducing his weaknesses to Electric, Flying, and Rock. Rock remains to be a lethal danger though.

Option B: Resists Rock and Fire instead of being weak to them

- This eliminates Masquerain's crippling weakness to Rock moves and Stealth Rock. Rock is a pretty common form of coverage in Rejuvenation, so while it may not feel as thematic, it might ultimately offer more value.

Chimecho Crest:

Option A: Increases Defense and Special Defense x1.2 & sets up Wish when switching in

Option B: Increases Defense and Special Defense x1.2 & uses Heal Bell when switching in

- In either case, Chimecho is meant to be a cleric, and this would help him perform that role more reliably. I think I can get him to use Wish or Heal Bell on switch in.

Let me know which options you like for these examples.

• Like 1

I think the Luxray and the Vileplume is a bit over the top..
Luxray is already a descent Pokemon, it's just overshadowed by pokemons like Boltund that have better ability and speed, the already existing Crest doens't make it stronger than Boltund but it does make it more defensive than it but the Vileplume is the one that is waaay too strong.. Not only it now deals double damage to not effective moves (aka normal damage) but it's base S.Atk is boosted by 1.3x?! Vileplumes base S.Atk is 110, that would bump it to roughly 143, baring in mind it has the Chlorophyll ability and it's base Def. S.Def and HP are pretty decent too, if you put this Vileplume on a Sunny Day team this thing will become a monster..

If I -had- to make a suggestion on changes, well, for Luxray I would remove the STAB on QUick Attack, it already has Galvanize, giving it an extra 1.5x damage on Quick Attack on top of that is already too much.. You're basically making a Quick Attack have roughly 72 base damage while also being Electric-type AND priority.. That won't do.. For Vileplume I guess I would make something like "Behaves like Sunny Day is active" and that's all, meaning it can have it's Chlorophyll Ability active at all times, use Solar Beam in one turn and get double boosts from Growth, for example, no Tinted Lens or 1.3x boost in it's base S.Atk

Now you talked about Arbok and Mightyena.. Here's my suggestions
Arbork:
- Gives it the Prankster Ability
- Coil boost is now doubled
  Arbok's main thing that makes it stands out is the fact it can learn Coil, which is pretty good, HOWEVER, Arbok itself isn't.. And in Rejuvenation it got overshadowed by Aevium-Milotic which also learns Coil and is a much better, stronger, Pokemon, this change would make Arbok be able to use Coil and Glare with priority, which can be used both as utility and possible sweeper.

Mightyena:
- Base Speed increased by +30 (from 70 to 100)
- Gives it the Strong Jaw Ability
  Main problem with Mightyena is that it's base speed is slow for the Pokemon that it is, it's moveset assumes it to be a sweeper but with such low speed it's hard for it to do anything against a faster Pokemon and get bodied by most Fighting-types anyway, being pure Dark-type is also a bother, being only able to deal STAB super effect on Psychic and Ghost.. The strong Jaw is to boost moves like Fire Fang, Thunder Fang, Poison Fang, Crunch and Ice Fang, giving it some coverage on other weaknesses (sadly it doesn't learn Psychic Fang, shame).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

One thing I'd stress is that I would go through a testing phase once I finish the mons I have in mind or get to around 15 or so is what I was planning on. Something that I was taught regarding game design was start by overtuning because you'll get a better idea of what is and isn't too much that way and you can dial it down afterward.

From my experience playing on Intense Mode, no items, is that slow mons are KOed fast and Luxray just doesn't really seem to last, especially since his only good electric attack is Wild Charge that has recoil, and he only learns it at a very high level. Galvanize would give Luxray better options between Spark and Wild Charge as well as non-recoil options on a mon that is going to be chipped down pretty heavily regardless thanks to low speed.

The Vileplume option I can understand, but I want to see what happens when I test it out. Again, Vileplume is very slow and is going to take a beating most turns even in sunlight. Perhaps just Tinted Lens is enough but I'll give it a go. I don't think I have the capability to do something like the "behaves in sun" suggestion due to the limitations I have to work with. I basically just don't have the knowledge of writing new functions like that, but if a function already exists or is described in somewhere like the moveeffects script, then I can add the crest effect to that.

I haven't found where Prankster is located yet, but I should be able to locate that function somewhere. It has to be somewhere I can reach. The Mightyena one I could do, but I don't know how to add a flat value to base. I can just mimic the multipliers that exist already from other crests, or do something like how Claydol uses Defense to measure special attacks. I can cause one attack to read the value of another.

I also want to do a Furret Crest, for example, but I'm just not sure what I could do. One idea was have both Attack and Defense pull from Furret's Speed stat and possibly boost that a smidge. The other issue for Furret is his learnset isn't great. I could try seeing if I could have him use Trick on switch-in which could be interesting, mimicking how the Phione Crest functions, though I'm not sure if that will work the same way.

Furret isn't all terrible, it does learn some good moves but it's status are a bit off.. If you want my personal suggestion here

Furret:
- Atk and S.Atk values are based on Speed
- Gives it the Neuroforce Ability
   So I checked the moveset of Furret, it does learn some pretty impressive moves but they are divided between Atk and S.Atk so I though "What if both Atk and S.Atk was based on Speed so it could be somewhat of a Hybrid?" and that's were I came up with the idea, so now Furret can have things like Aqua Tail along Flamethrower and be efficient with both! The Neuroforce Ability is a exclusive ability from Necrozma of all things.. It power up Super Effect Moves so the idea here is to have Furret be some sort of Hybrid Atk / S.Atk
while having super effective moves be strong enough to be -almost- considered STAB since, with a base Atk / S.Atk of 90 (same as Speed) it won't be able to OHKO things even with a Super Effect so a boost is needed there too.

I feel like Cherrim Crest is kind of bad even in double battles because Meganium exists so it should probably get a buff. I think that Cherrim crest should also make flower gift increase party's special attack or speed. Cherrim's flower gift increases attack but Cherrim's sp.attack is higher than attack, so increasing special attack would make it stronger. Increasing speed would also make Cherrim more useable. Another way to improve the crest is to give Cherrim sturdy so it can do something before dying. 

I would like one for Rapidash:

If the move makes contact, its secondary effect always triggers (except if it's causing a flinch).

This means that fire moves and slash and burn always burn, bounce always paralyses, poison jab always poisons, play rough always drops attack and iron tail always drops defense. It's a pretty nifty amount of utility.

Hmm, If I may offer a suggestion?

Zoroark Crest:
-Gains type resistances of Pokemon he's disguised at. Loses said resistances when the Illusion breaks

I feel like this is something Zoroark could use, to at least slightly mitigate his low defenses

How about one for Beartic?

Beartic Crest:

Grants Beartic Water Bubble in Rain and Adaptability in Hail (while also keeping its current ability)

Beartic has a great attack stat and movepool, but struggles due to its mono ice typing. To justify using him, he's gotta hit like a truck. Also I think the two abilities are quite flavorful for the polar bear

Edited by GachaGloop
clarity

If it's possible, I would like to see a crest for Meowstic that works like this:

Upon entry: Immediately activate the move in the first move slot(If it's a status move).

Seeing as Grimmsnarl has superceeded Meowstic as the Prankster Screen Setter, my poor cat has been robbed of it's niche. So I thought of how to give it's own niche. This crest would work well with Male Meowstic various support moves, some which aren't available for Grimmsnarl. This crest also kinda buff the female variant a bit, by allowing a free Light Screen/Reflect for longevity or Fake Tears/Thunder Wave to cripple the enemies so it'll be easier to take down.  If there's any better suggestions, fire away.

Salandit Male Crest :

- Doubles Sp. Attack and Speed stats.

- Immune to Ground type moves, Priority moves and status moves affected by Prankster.

- If its ability is Corrosion, its Poison type moves becomes super effective to Poison types and Steel types.

- If its ability is Oblivious, the user's damage taken will be reduced to 75% by female Pokemons and opponent's status moves like Taunt, Attract and Captivate and opponent's ability Intimdate will cause the opponent to be taunted.

5 minutes ago, RoySolare said:

Salandit Male Crest :

- Doubles Sp. Attack and Speed stats.

- Immune to Ground type moves, Priority moves, status moves affected by Prankster.

- If its ability is Corrosion, its Poison type moves becomes super effective to Poison types and Steel types.

- If its ability is Oblivious, the user's damage taken will be reduced to 75% by female Pokemons and opponent's status moves like Taunt, Attract and Captivate and opponent's ability Intimdate will cause the opponent to be taunted.

Sigma Male Salandit. Nice.

Salazzle Crest:

Every Poison Move has a 20% chance to infatuate an opponents Pokemon. Can just be male only if it's too broken.

Haxorus Crest:

Speed and Attack Boost every time it gets past an opponents ability due to Mold Breaker.

Escavelier Crest:

Gives it Heatproof and maybe exchange it's Speed with it's Special Attack? Seems odd that a Pokemon with jousting lances for arms is so slow.

Vanilluxe Crest:

Give it Slush Rush or Snow Cloak while still keeping Snow Warning.

2 hours ago, DerogatoryTrainer said:

Salazzle Crest:

Every Poison Move has a 20% chance to infatuate an opponents Pokemon. Can just be male only if it's too broken.

Escavelier Crest:

Gives it Heatproof and maybe exchange it's Speed with it's Special Attack? Seems odd that a Pokemon with jousting lances for arms is so slow.

Something tells me SalazzleDazzle and an upcoming Escavelier will become part of your main team in the future...

• Hmm 2

Here's one I thought would be fun!

Kecleon Crest:
- Kecleon's Color Change changes it's type BEFORE being hit by a move to that move's type
- Switches base Atk with Def

Kecleon has 2 main abilities, Protean and Color Change, while Protean changes the type before attacking to the type of the move used and Color Change after being attacked to the type of the move he was affected with, this new crest would change it's typing before he gets hit by the same type of the move going to hit him, so a weird mix between both Protean and Color Change, this crest would make Kecleon quite the defensive type since it would most likely always take a not very effective move since Color Change is just garbage and can be exploited by the enemy and Protean is only good if the Pokemon is fast enough to attack first (like Greninja or Cinderace) so this would make Kecleon quite the tank instead, of course, this wouldn't make Kecleon better than tanks like Umbreon since there are exploits to this crest too, some types still take normal damage from moves of the same typing (Normal and Fighting) while other take super effect (Ghost and Dragon) and this would affect Kecleon's ability to STAB as well but I was just thinking of the fun factor here, this could also make Kecleon a good lead for Trick Room settling.

Here’s another crest for another one of the weakest Pokemon :

Combee Male Crest :

- Has Sturdy ability effect
- STAB moves gains priority

- Drains HP equal to opponent’s damage taken. (Opponent has 300 HP drained => User has 300 HP restored)

49 minutes ago, RoySolare said:

Here’s another crest for another one of the weakest Pokemon :

Combee Male Crest :

- Has Sturdy ability effect
- STAB moves gains priority

- Drains HP equal to opponent’s damage taken. (Opponent has 300 HP drained => User has 300 HP restored)

That won't be enough to make the male Combee good in any way, in fact that doesn't solve anything, the poor stats are the main problem, it has a base of 30 Atk and S.Atk, that'ss utter garbage in every way.. The Pokemon itself is pretty useless.. even the moveset is pretty trash, when it's Vespiqueen it gets the "order" moves but a Combee won't get those..

If I -had- to suggest something, it would had to been something VERY drastic, a MASSIVE buff.. like:
Combee Male Crest:
- Deal 4x more damage
- Gives it the Wonder Guard Ability

There! Now it can actually deal some damage while also not being instantly one-shoted by anything that moves faster than it (specially considering it only has 70 Speed), I decided to give it Wonder Guard because, since it's a Bug/Flying, it has a lot of weaknesses anyway and it sounds fair.

10 minutes ago, RoySolare said:

At least if you’re not counting the move Endeavor which Combee has.

Well, it will only be able to KO one Pokemon and then get downed, Sturdy only triggers once so it's not like it can do multiple KOs with the Endeavor + Quick Attack strat (assuming it will heal all of it's HP with the Endeavor alone)
Also, due to it's low 70 Speed, if the enemy Pokemon also has a priority move and happens to be faster, it will go down first before actually KOing anything at all.. The idea of giving Crests to Pokemons that can't evolve because of their gender is interesting but Combee and Salandit are just trash and need a massive buff to be competitively viable 

44 minutes ago, RoySolare said:

Only Focus Sash triggers once, but Sturdy triggers many times as long as its HP is restored to max. Plus, Combee doesn’t need strength but strategy.

I am pretty sure it only triggers once per KO (meaning it resets if you use Max Revive or something) but, if that's true, then that means your crest idea is terrible.. Since you can pretty much cheese every fight with Endeavor + Quick Attack since the Endeavor will totally heal it since it has low HP anyway and it heals the damage done so.. Against a player they could see that coming and plan ahead but the AI is.. The AI so it will just see "This pokemon is weak, I can KO it with this move, I will use move" and then get bodied by it..

1 hour ago, RoySolare said:

Only Focus Sash triggers once, but Sturdy triggers many times as long as its HP is restored to max. Plus, Combee doesn’t need strength but strategy.

At that point just get a donphan with sturdy, ice shard and endeavor and give it a shell bell and it's basically the same.

49 minutes ago, RoySolare said:

Well, Donphan can’t keep up for long alone when it comes to experience gain and Shell Bell only restores HP equal to 1/8 of the damage dealt. But Male Combee having its crest is different since it will restore HP equal to complete damage dealt.

I mean if you're gonna run a FEAR donphan you're gonna want to keep it level 1 if possible anyways.

A lot of these are far outside of what I think I can accomplish anyway, and I'm still trying to figure out how to make the one's I have tested actually work 😅

I figured out a few errors that I made, but it's a slow and challenging process. I have the benefit that I can reverse engineer that work that's already been done to a degree, but some of the stuff just isn't working even when I imitate how it's laid out for other Pokemon. For example, even though I set up Noctowl's Crest to have Special Attack match Noctowl's Special Defense in the same way that Claydol's set up to do the same concept with Defense, it doesn't actually seem to be changing Noctowl's damage output when I test it. I have my Noctowl with EVs in Special Defense and not Special Attack, but nothing seems to change.

1 hour ago, ty_taurus said:

A lot of these are far outside of what I think I can accomplish anyway, and I'm still trying to figure out how to make the one's I have tested actually work 😅

I figured out a few errors that I made, but it's a slow and challenging process. I have the benefit that I can reverse engineer that work that's already been done to a degree, but some of the stuff just isn't working even when I imitate how it's laid out for other Pokemon. For example, even though I set up Noctowl's Crest to have Special Attack match Noctowl's Special Defense in the same way that Claydol's set up to do the same concept with Defense, it doesn't actually seem to be changing Noctowl's damage output when I test it. I have my Noctowl with EVs in Special Defense and not Special Attack, but nothing seems to change.

Iirc, Claydol's crest has to do with it's BASE stats.

37 minutes ago, SharlaSmith44 said:

Iirc, Claydol's crest has to do with it's BASE stats.

The script that's used is basically stating that Claydol's Special Attack is mimicking what Claydol's Defense stat is and that should include EVs and IVs. I may have found the issue though but I'll have to test it later. Investing in defense EVs on Crest Claydol does increase damage with special attacks.