Question about how the RNG is coded here

Ares1404

I'm fighting Narcissa (4th gym ghost) with her lead drifblim with my lead cinderace.

for my tactic to work I need drifblim to miss his first hypnosis (base accuracy: 60% afaik) or score a critical hit with my first move.

in my first and second attempt for scouting her team i am 100% certain, that hypnosis missed.

but now that i had a strategy i soft-resetted more than 100 times to get a shot with a miss or a crit, but it didnt happen once.

how the heck is that possible?? how does RNG work here? is it predetermined once you do something special?

Edited by Ares1404

ok now i figured as well that the npc knows exacly what my items are and what my next move is and switches accordingly.

and with every soft reset and every team setup change the rng gets worse. now i ALWAYS get 3-turn sleeps (20 times in a row now).

the more i try, the more impossible this gets. like seriously wtf is going on? it is like this game has a memory of soft resets.

no attack crits anymore. nothing works in my favor.

haunted field hidden side effect. the user's entire game gets cursed. 

edit:

sry for raging, I know this sounds ridiculous, but this has to be some kind of bug.

i can turn on a stream and show you...

Edited by Ares1404

Yeah, i swapped between Intense and Normal for experiment sake, and tried around 200 fights with several leaders on both difficulties. On Intense paralysis and confusion almost never proc on enemy NPCs, they crit much more often and their moves barely miss, even when its a low accuracy move and field doesnt boost its accuracy. And yes, several trainers in particular make their decision after you pick a move or next pokemon, Melia especially. Im sure some smartass will come and say "hurr durr it's just RNG", but ive done thousands of attempts across a lot of hours in 13.02 and it's very clearly an immensely different experience between Intense and Normal. 

• Like 2

even with 90% accuracy it is near impossible to hit in over 100 attempts.

i finally won the battle, after i went out of the gym to do some side quests.

this seemed to fix the issue of that predetermined outcome.

14 hours ago, Cyphre said:

Yeah, i swapped between Intense and Normal for experiment sake, and tried around 200 fights with several leaders on both difficulties. On Intense paralysis and confusion almost never proc on enemy NPCs, they crit much more often and their moves barely miss, even when its a low accuracy move and field doesnt boost its accuracy. And yes, several trainers in particular make their decision after you pick a move or next pokemon, Melia especially. Im sure some smartass will come and say "hurr durr it's just RNG", but ive done thousands of attempts across a lot of hours in 13.02 and it's very clearly an immensely different experience between Intense and Normal. 

Same tested it with Venus (The girl with crested ledian fight in zone zero), somehow her Taurus ALWAYS landed iron tail, tested it about 30 times and never miss once. Have checked the field and there are no mentions that iron tail is boosted in any way, kinda weird tbh

Mhm that's just how it is the AI has always had crazy hax 😭 and it definitely feels like they reads items. In Amber's normal mode fight for me her Camerupt would always switch turn one against my Golduck. Then when I switched to a water gem to try and 1 shot the switch in the AI was like sorry bro guess again.

21 hours ago, Ares1404 said:

ok now i figured as well that the npc knows exacly what my items are and what my next move is and switches accordingly.

and with every soft reset and every team setup change the rng gets worse. now i ALWAYS get 3-turn sleeps (20 times in a row now).

the more i try, the more impossible this gets. like seriously wtf is going on? it is like this game has a memory of soft resets.

no attack crits anymore. nothing works in my favor.

haunted field hidden side effect. the user's entire game gets cursed. 

edit:

sry for raging, I know this sounds ridiculous, but this has to be some kind of bug.

i can turn on a stream and show you...

21 hours ago, Cyphre said:

enemies have a 20% boost to accuracy in intense so anything with above 85 base accuracy will never miss and wide lens/accuracy boosts from crests are even stronger

and yes the ai knows if youre gonna use a move or an item or switch your mons, but they dont know which move/mon exactly

(i dont think anything else was confirmed so far but its possible they have a crit boost as well)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bloww said:

and yes the ai knows if youre gonna use a move or an item or switch your mons, but they dont know which move/mon exactly

Several trainers do, that's exactly what i mean. Again, some Melia fights as an example. Her Zoroark can know Sucker Punch and Night Slash, if you try to attack - she will ALWAYS use SP, if you try to setup or cwap, it's ALWAYS will be Night Slash. Same with the swapping, if you try to EQ Ground weak pokemon, she will swap to something levitating, if you do not press Ground move with this mon, she will not swap. Most trainers indeed do not do such things, but some have this broken AI. 

• Like 2

I can also confirm that the AI responds to the specific move chosen in addition to whether a move is chosen; Upon reaching the Melia vs Erin battle during the training period- where Melia uses only... Gardevoir, I believe, against Erin's Absol, I saved before the battle started and began attempting to win the battle, as one does. So, first try, attacking. Erin's Absol defeats the Gardevoir in one hit with sucker punch, naturally. Not unreasonable, of course I would attack first turn. So I switch to calm mind. Erin uses night slash, which keeps me from doing anything because a further night slash will knock out the Gardevoir and healing will just lead to it being hit again. Long story short, I try... probably a hundred, two hundred times? it's not like each attempt takes long... and while Erin doesn't react to my decision 100% of the time, Sucker Punch is always used if Gardevoir attacks. What I mean by doesn't react to my decision 100% of the time is Erin does, occasionally, choose Sucker Punch when I use Calm Mind, around... one third, maybe a quarter, of the time (not that it helped, since any attempt to capitalise on the calm mind boost is stopped by Sucker Punch*). Based on that, I concluded that the battle would be winnable if I attempted it in parallel roughly 3^5, or 243, times using a strategy of 'only use calm mind until all sucker punch PP is exhausted', or possibly 1024 times; I was rather tired of the battle by that point, though, so I didn't continue on another 200+ attempts.

I haven't experienced the same problem in other battles, but that's probably down to a fairly consistent and unchanging strategy of 'shuckle uses power split, heal if necessary, use accupressure 21 times with healing as necessary, wrap or rollout as appropriate' on all battles that doesn't give much room for the AI to be reacting to my moves on a specific turn as opposed to what I've already done.

*I was sceptical of my conclusion at first, so I repeatedly opened game copies and went through the first turn until I had 8 open on the second turn. 4 attacked, 4 used calm mind, all attackers were punched, most calm minds slashed. 4 and 4 isn't a large sample size but it corroborates what I'd seen previously and is as extreme a split as it can be while remaining consistent with my not having been 100% sure immediately.

Post script: the difficulty setting is intense; I don't know if that affects the AI in this regard. I still had access to items due to selecting to opt into them when I transferred my save from V12.

Edited by JOEbob
added a previously-unmentioned, potentially relevant, detail.
  • Like 1