Do you think Field Effects are going to become a thing in the main series?

Not sure if this belongs here or in a Reborn topic, but here goes.

Anyway, the games seem to be going in that direction already. Terrains are becoming more and more salient (spoilers for the isle of armor)

Spoiler

especially with the IoA move tutors. The effects of Misty Explosion, Rising Voltage, Expanding Force and Grassy Glide all change on their respective terrain. Terrain Pulse changes power and type based on the terrain, while Steel Roller "breaks the field."

The next thing for Pokemon to do would be to expand the "terrains" to include natural backgrounds, such as snow or caves. And given Nature Power's continued existence, this seems plausible. Who knows, maybe by Gen 9 we'll have full-blown field effects.

1 hour ago, Edo said:

i think it would be too complicated for many younger players, so just like a higher difficulty option I wouldn't expect further additions to the field system to come

They definitely wouldn't get to reborn level unfairness or complexity, but I could see something like sound moves being stronger in a cave or ice moves from grounded pokemon being stronger in the snow

28 minutes ago, Between Life and Death said:

They definitely wouldn't get to reborn level unfairness or complexity, but I could see something like sound moves being stronger in a cave or ice moves from grounded pokemon being stronger in the snow

ooh you meant it in such a simple way. Because of the title i thought you were talking about something closer to Reborn's fields. But yeah, such a simple addition sounds realistic.

I doubt it. 90% of new features in any given Pokemon game will be dropped the next generation regardless of whether they were a good idea or not. Implementing effects on a battle based on where you're battling is a super cool idea, and one which brings new applications of both Pokemon and moves that aren't useful in general battles.

As such it would require GF to exert a modicum of effort, which they never, ever do. In other words, it probably won't be kept around or deepened.

16 minutes ago, wcv said:

I doubt it. 90% of new features in any given Pokemon game will be dropped the next generation regardless of whether they were a good idea or not. Implementing effects on a battle based on where you're battling is a super cool idea, and one which brings new applications of both Pokemon and moves that aren't useful in general battles.

As such it would require GF to exert a modicum of effort, which they never, ever do. In other words, it probably won't be kept around or deepened.

I don't think this terrain stuff is a one-and done mechanic. Megas and Z rings were gimmicks that had cool lore etc, but lost relevance after their debut games (and honestly I was fine with that). But terrains are being built up slowly, generation by generation. And the logic behind them will always be relevant. Getting rid of terrains would be like getting rid of weather or the day/night mechanics.

It would be awesome, but GameFreak is just too lazy to implement something like that. Terrains are essentially glorified weathers, and GameFreak hasn't introduced any other weather outside of Strong Winds (not counting Desolate Land and Primordial Sea, since those are just sun and rain on steroids). 

6 hours ago, Between Life and Death said:

I don't think this terrain stuff is a one-and done mechanic. Megas and Z rings were gimmicks that had cool lore etc, but lost relevance after their debut games (and honestly I was fine with that). But terrains are being built up slowly, generation by generation. And the logic behind them will always be relevant. Getting rid of terrains would be like getting rid of weather or the day/night mechanics.

They've literally done that. Gen III had no day/night mechanics after Gen. II introduced them.

There's a difference between the terrains, which as noted are little more than slightly tweaked weathers and not full on field effects as you seem to mean. And also as noted, weather is has barely been changed since Gen. III. They've added almost nothing on that front save changing the way that the abilities work and the primal stuff. And the way abilities work was only tweaked becaue of the way they had been totally dominating everything the Generation before.

Just now, wcv said:

They've literally done that. Gen III had no day/night mechanics after Gen. II introduced them.

There's a difference between the terrains, which as noted are little more than slightly tweaked weathers and not full on field effects as you seem to mean.

They reintroduced the Day/Night features several times though. They never disappeared for good.

And field effects are just more complicated terrains.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2020 at 7:37 PM, Between Life and Death said:

Not sure if this belongs here or in a Reborn topic, but here goes.

Anyway, the games seem to be going in that direction already. Terrains are becoming more and more salient (spoilers for the isle of armor)

Hide contents

especially with the IoA move tutors. The effects of Misty Explosion, Rising Voltage, Expanding Force and Grassy Glide all change on their respective terrain. Terrain Pulse changes power and type based on the terrain, while Steel Roller "breaks the field."

The next thing for Pokemon to do would be to expand the "terrains" to include natural backgrounds, such as snow or caves. And given Nature Power's continued existence, this seems plausible. Who knows, maybe by Gen 9 we'll have full-blown field effects.

I'd sure like field effects to play a bigger role in the main games yeah, it adds a lot more depth to battling and just really enhances the experience for me. Sadly i never used terrain moves in us/um but if i ever play the game again i'll definitely try to go for a way more fun experience and try a lot of stuff out, reborn really made me force to not battle in the rather simple way i used to and opened my eyes to how fun battling can really be, i also became a much better player competitively because of reborn.