Just started this game, help on a starter?

DecShep

So, I've already played Reborn (just finished!), and have also started Desolation already. Apparently I keep getting Deso and Rejuvenation mixed up, as I meant to get Reju first and just now realized it.

I picked casual mode lol. As much as I love Reborn, I wouldn't mind it being less hard, I'm godawful at competitive.

Anyway! For Reborn I picked Infernape as its my favorite fire starter, then picked Greninja for Desolation as its my favorite Water plus its great due to Protean. Here though I'm not sure, as I don't know yet like anything about this game. On one hand, I'd love to pick Treecko to complete my favorite starter trifecta, but due to what I assume is the games difficulty, Treecko is probably not gonna be very good for awhile. I kinda want to pick Blaziken, but I already started another Reborn run with Torchic.

So! With that annoying rambling out of the way, which starter do you recommend? Should I not care and pick Torchic? Or pick Treecko? Or is there another starter thats great? I tried looking up threads but they were all 2014/2015 so I imagine there must be some changes or something maybe certain starters are better now? I did see something about Piplup sucks due to TM availability, but Rowlet gets some amazing move so its good? 

*Found a thread actually from 2019! So, I guess Litten and Popplio are very viable (which surprises me since I thought Incineroar gets a lot of hate) and Snivy is good due to contrary but I'd have to wait til late to get leaf storm.

**Ok I just ended up going for Litten due to Intimidate and Darkest Lariat. And he resembles my MC profile. After 15+ tries I got an Adamant with a GREAT IV spread. But it had Blaze. But so did all the others! Is the HA super rare? Anyway, can I find an ability capsule early on? I know in Reborn you can find one like right after you leave the grand hall.

Edited by DecShep

yeah you can find a capsule very early. In goldenwood forest, there will be a picnic scene. Remember the code from the suitcase, then when prompted to input a code a little later, input the one from the picnic instead first to get the capsule.

1 hour ago, DecShep said:

So, I've already played Reborn (just finished!), and have also started Desolation already. Apparently I keep getting Deso and Rejuvenation mixed up, as I meant to get Reju first and just now realized it.

I picked casual mode lol. As much as I love Reborn, I wouldn't mind it being less hard, I'm godawful at competitive.

Anyway! For Reborn I picked Infernape as its my favorite fire starter, then picked Greninja for Desolation as its my favorite Water plus its great due to Protean. Here though I'm not sure, as I don't know yet like anything about this game. On one hand, I'd love to pick Treecko to complete my favorite starter trifecta, but due to what I assume is the games difficulty, Treecko is probably not gonna be very good for awhile. I kinda want to pick Blaziken, but I already started another Reborn run with Torchic.

So! With that annoying rambling out of the way, which starter do you recommend? Should I not care and pick Torchic? Or pick Treecko? Or is there another starter thats great? I tried looking up threads but they were all 2014/2015 so I imagine there must be some changes or something maybe certain starters are better now? I did see something about Piplup sucks due to TM availability, but Rowlet gets some amazing move so its good? 

*Found a thread actually from 2019! So, I guess Litten and Popplio are very viable (which surprises me since I thought Incineroar gets a lot of hate) and Snivy is good due to contrary but I'd have to wait til late to get leaf storm.

**Ok I just ended up going for Litten due to Intimidate and Darkest Lariat. And he resembles my MC profile. After 15+ tries I got an Adamant with a GREAT IV spread. But it had Blaze. But so did all the others! Is the HA super rare? Anyway, can I find an ability capsule early on? I know in Reborn you can find one like right after you leave the grand hall.

Another useful one is the Protean Froakie so you always have Stab Bonus + Able to predict attacks and change types to save yourself with
Also you can Save and Softreset before grabbing the starter [HA Litten is meh cause its intimidate for the HA]
Hidden Abilities and Shinies are easier to find

If you want a Grass starter, imo Rowlet is the way to go. I used it on my Intense semi-blind playthrough; takes advantage of a lot of the early fields and scales very well into lategame with its bulk and movepool. Popplio also seems like it would be a great starter but I haven't tried it myself.

...actually, now that I think about it, the whole Gen 7 trio is probably the best (or very close) of each type. Huh. Neat.

The best is Blaziken, no surprise here. And for me Serperior comes second. Even if it learns Leaf Storm rather late (though in Rejuv lvl 60 is more the middle of the game), it's the fastest user of Grassy Terrain that allows you to change a gym leader's annoying field.

Greninja would be great in another game, but in Rejuvenation you don't get the good TM it need until very late. 

And for the others, maybe you should chech which ones are available later and when. Bulbasaur for instance can be obtained around lvl 40 if I remember correctly.

• 2 weeks later...

When Gen VIII starters eventually releases, the first thing that comes to my mind is Grookey. I heard it’s hidden Ability is Grassy Surge? If so, having a Pokémon that always start the battle with Grassy Terrain seems just as awesome as Protean and/or Speed Boost. It kinda invalidates any and all such fields that is supposed to be set on. I think that effect isn’t permanent, though, it’ll probably wear off after 5 turns (8 turns if terrain extender is held).