Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield

Maqqy

Dynamax is about to get banned from 6v6 Smogon. At least, some changes were made in prevision of the potential future ban. I learned the hard way today that Choice items were disabled once you pokemon were dynamaxed.

In my case, I discovered this new feature with my Scarf-Ditto versus a Shell Smashed Blastoise (It was randbats, eveything hardcoded into the game is implemented there. Shell Smash Blastoise is not available yet). I dynamaxed my Ditto but the Blastoise was faster. It was a speed-tie. If you didn't know, if you had for instance a Choice Scarf, you can switch moves but the Speed Boost is removed.

Dynamax is ruling the OU metagame as we speak. There are currently 6 pokemons played in 30% of every team: Dragapult, Ferrothorn, Ditto, G-Darmanitan, Excadrill and Corviknight who can abuse it while being strong in other roles. Thanks to Dynamax and Choice items shenanigans, when G-Darmanitan was locked on a Ice-move, if the opponent sent Ferrothorn, G-Darmanitan dynamaxed, used Dynamax-Flare Blitz and won. And it's just one of many cases. Corviknight is literally immortal once it has set up with Bulk Up and Max-Airstream. 

If you want a more detailed opinion, there is ABR's below, a respected top-player:

Spoiler

No matter what specific mons we try to get rid of (or even more narrowly prevent from dynamaxing), the remaining set of mons that can dynamax will always be problematic. It goes way beyond "Gyarados and Hawlucha are terrifying sweepers due to their dynamax moves." Anything with a choice item has the option of breaking the otherwise abusable lock by activating its dynamax. Any concept of consistency or stability goes out the window when the mon on the losing side of the 1v1 can flip that around with dynamax. For example, you can have a scenario of Diggersby vs Toxapex - the Diggersby user normally can threaten the ohko with earthquake. The question then arises, will the Diggersby dynamax? Will the Toxapex? These questions can arise in an abundance of scenarios and devolve into an unreliable game hyper-focused on the short term.

Beyond comparison to Pokemon as we know it, the existence of dynamax lessens competitive strategy and rewards short term bursts of prediction. Without the thought or planning going into team deduction, set speculation, and how they relate to strategies regarding what beats what, the game cannot meet the standards of our competitive community.

Sounds more like Dynamaxing has just outright changed the metagame as a whole. Though it sounds like certain mons are indeed just outright broken beyond belief.

What is the difference between regular dynamaxing and gigantimaxing? What exactly gets boosted in the standard dynamax, vs. the gigantimax? Or is the special form some pokemon get just esthetics?

(Not game related, but it's funny how there really always were dynamaxed pokemon since the original anime, and it just... fits the roleplaying world my niece and nephew fell in love with. I would think it awesome if Ame or maybe the Rejuvenation team decided to add boss fights with a dynamaxed factor. Boss fights. Because so far adding these things into regular battles is a mistake. And of course Gamefreak immediately ran for that mistake like a man hugged by slugma would to a cold lake...)

Alright, playing through and beating sword I realized how much the animations faded into the background for me, like I don't think people actually care that double kick isn't made to be extravagant. Ik it's a old topic (lazy animation topic not this thread) at this point but man everything about the game completely drowned out a lot of its biggest detractors. I cant believe we went crazy over some tree textures in the wild area. Overall this game was fun af, people should give it a 2nd chance. 

Edited by L__Haze
Imma probably review this in it's own separate thread who knows, I got a lot to say on it
  • Like 2

On 12/2/2019 at 10:47 AM, Feng Lei said:

Sounds more like Dynamaxing has just outright changed the metagame as a whole. Though it sounds like certain mons are indeed just outright broken beyond belief.

What is the difference between regular dynamaxing and gigantimaxing? What exactly gets boosted in the standard dynamax, vs. the gigantimax? Or is the special form some pokemon get just esthetics?

Mechanically, all that's different is a single move, i.e, where the standard Max Inferno sets up Sun, Giga-Charizard's G-Max Wildfire instead inflicts the Fire Pledge+Grass Pledge Combo Effect on the opponents. A regular charizard can't use G-Max Wildfire, but a Gigantamaxed one can't use Max Inferno either, so choosing whether you want to actually go for the fancy cool look is really a matter of opportunity cost. (In this case, I'd only bother with getting a Gigantamax specimen if I happened to have an offensive Water Type on my team, since the Sun would hinder that guy's chances if it came out after charizard was done doing its thing).

• 2 months later...

As you may or not know, (considering the DLC hasn't really been talked about as far as I can see) GF has backpedaled from their horrible decision to cut the old Pokemon out and is now slowly reintroducing them via DLC. Well thanks to datamineing Home (which is a whole other debacle in itself) we now may have a idea which pokemon are making the jump with this likely first wave of returning newcomers. If true it seems I might get Sword after all.