Aironfaar's Mod Box [E19][Updated: 2022-05-22]

Aironfaar

On 4/20/2022 at 4:28 PM, Aironfaar said:

While I understand that and released the debug portions of my mod to enable players to focus on the parts of pokémon games that they enjoy most (that's how I myself used it too, after all), E19 is currently in open community beta. Skipping content by using debug functions (which the walk through walls mod falls under, too) is against the spirit of such a testing phase, especially since you can't be sure whether or not an alleged bug you encounter while playing was caused by going off the rails with debug functions, which can lead to erroneous bug reports.

This is also why the dev team has expressed that they'd rather not people use debug functions and mods altogether during the test phase. To respect that wish, I won't publish mods that unlock debug functionality until they are ready for it.

Very disappointing, to be honest. I've played through the game enough times to know I'm very much with grinding EV stats and doing the more time-wasting puzzles of the game (iolia valley, crustle, devon corp etc, seriously could you possibly have us run in circles any more than you did? jeez.).

I'll just wait for the full mods to be released.

Unless the Dev team just wants to include it themselves *fingers crossed*

16 hours ago, Siv said:

Very disappointing, to be honest. I've played through the game enough times to know I'm very much with grinding EV stats and doing the more time-wasting puzzles of the game (iolia valley, crustle, devon corp etc, seriously could you possibly have us run in circles any more than you did? jeez.).

Fair, but please consider this: Until E19 has been fully released, you technically aren't playing E19; you're testing its beta version. Repeating what you've already gone through in previous iterations is also part of testing, because there's always a chance that those segments have been changed or accidentally affected by an update.

By the same argument, any and all mods are against the purpose of this beta test phase because they all change the game that's supposed to be tested. That's why I only released mods so far that are fairly contained in how they change the game. Due to their limited scope, it should be relatively easy to trace errors back to my mods if they were the cause, which means these bugs would be reported to me rather than the Reborn devs. Meanwhile, with debug functionality, it is super easy to e.g. innocently walk through a wall to save time because the regular path is already known from a previous playthrough anyway, only to miss a seemingly unimportant event on the regular path that would've changed a variable that you'd need changed to progress later on. What's worse, this variable might become relevant way later in the game, when the shortcut through the wall is already long forgotten, which might lead to an erroneous bug report that will take time and effort for no gain. I'm not saying you specifically would do this, but given the way the devs phrased their "please don't overdo it with the modding, and *please* don't use debug stuff", I have a hunch that such bug reports have been painfully common in the past.

I hope I didn't come across as preachy or so, but maybe the above makes it a bit more understandable why debug stuff is not being unleashed yet.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Aironfaar said:

Fair, but please consider this: Until E19 has been fully released, you technically aren't playing E19; you're testing its beta version. Repeating what you've already gone through in previous iterations is also part of testing, because there's always a chance that those segments have been changed or accidentally affected by an update.

By the same argument, any and all mods are against the purpose of this beta test phase because they all change the game that's supposed to be tested. That's why I only released mods so far that are fairly contained in how they change the game. Due to their limited scope, it should be relatively easy to trace errors back to my mods if they were the cause, which means these bugs would be reported to me rather than the Reborn devs. Meanwhile, with debug functionality, it is super easy to e.g. innocently walk through a wall to save time because the regular path is already known from a previous playthrough anyway, only to miss a seemingly unimportant event on the regular path that would've changed a variable that you'd need changed to progress later on. What's worse, this variable might become relevant way later in the game, when the shortcut through the wall is already long forgotten, which might lead to an erroneous bug report that will take time and effort for no gain. I'm not saying you specifically would do this, but given the way the devs phrased their "please don't overdo it with the modding, and *please* don't use debug stuff", I have a hunch that such bug reports have been painfully common in the past.

I hope I didn't come across as preachy or so, but maybe the above makes it a bit more understandable why debug stuff is not being unleashed yet.

Oh no, not preachy at all. I do understand your point. I just disagree with (at least parts of) it.

What about a debug mod that pourely let's you reconfigure EVs/pokemon stats and so on? The grind is real and after so long, it isn't worth my time. If the purpose really is to test, a type of sandbox mode like that is only beneficial as it allows us to bypass the grind. Look at PTR testing in World of Warcraft, as an example. Whenever something new comes along you don't make people start from the beginning, it would take too much time.

If you really want proper testing you need to allow them to start at certain points within the game, with whatever mons + stats they want so as not to waste time.

That's how you test. You build in a type of sandbox/debug mod for easier testing.

I was personally looking foward to trying out all the new early game stuff and would have loved to run through it, but I'd rather wait with exploring if I also have to go through the tedious grind.

Just my opinion.

Hello there, i just wanted to report a bug with the RelearnRework option of this mod.

If you are trying to use the relearn option from the party screen on a Pokémon that doesn't have any moves to relearn, either because it's something like Ditto that doesn't learn any moves, or because it simply isn't high enough in level to learn anything, the game crashes.

Would it be possible to change it so the game tells you something like "This Pokémon doesn't have any moves to relearn." or something instead of crashing?

I also want to note that i did not have a heart scale in my inventory when this bug ocured, so i can't say whether it would trigger if i had a heart scale.

Hey, I found a bug(?) with WeDontKnowHowItGotThere which allows you to breed ditto (create a ditto egg), not sure if intended.
How to replicate:
Have ditto hold an oval stone or cherri berry etc, then put it in the box with any (might need to be male) pokemon, but make sure that you put ditto in the daycare before the other pokemon, if you put it second the bug doesn't occur.

Edited by alchemis
clarification

On 4/30/2022 at 2:33 PM, Siv said:

Oh no, not preachy at all. I do understand your point. I just disagree with (at least parts of) it.

What about a debug mod that pourely let's you reconfigure EVs/pokemon stats and so on? The grind is real and after so long, it isn't worth my time. If the purpose really is to test, a type of sandbox mode like that is only beneficial as it allows us to bypass the grind. Look at PTR testing in World of Warcraft, as an example. Whenever something new comes along you don't make people start from the beginning, it would take too much time.

If you really want proper testing you need to allow them to start at certain points within the game, with whatever mons + stats they want so as not to waste time.

That's how you test. You build in a type of sandbox/debug mod for easier testing.

I was personally looking foward to trying out all the new early game stuff and would have loved to run through it, but I'd rather wait with exploring if I also have to go through the tedious grind.

Just my opinion.

I'm happy to hear that I didn't come across as preachy. In turn, I do love a good, friendly exchange of differing points of veiw!

I understand what you mean (to the point where I even considered creating a "debug menu lite", which I decided against because it would've been tedious and I wouldn't want to deal with making decisions which parts of the debug menu are fine and which ones cross the line), but whether such a sandbox would be better for testing depends on what you want to test. Given the format, I assume that the dev team currently wishes to test regular play with the community's help. For that, a sandbox is exactly the wrong thing to do because people are way more likely to take the shortcuts through debug functionality rather than the normal ways. EV are actually a good example: The Power items have received a massive upgrade with E19. They now grant only EV for the stat that they are for, but a whole 32 points for this. I've seen several people on Reborn's Discord server asking for the debug menu specifically to skip any interaction with grinding EV, even though it's become this easy.

I'll readily admit that it still is a considerable grind even with that, but that's why I added a new option to my additional options pack that allows you to activate or deactivate gaining EV along with EXP from an activated Exp. All. It's not instant like with the debug menu, but fairly manageable, especially in conjunction with the Exp. All password and Waynolt's EV Overflow mod so you can also get those IV to become perfect. And, hey, maybe this suffices to rekindle your interest in participating in the open community beta.

On 5/1/2022 at 2:46 PM, KazukiNero said:

Is the option to change pickup chance going to be added back in?

Huh, I… don't remember ever developing such an option. But, sure, sounds like a fun option to create. I can do that later today.

On 5/2/2022 at 5:20 PM, ShogokiX said:

Hello there, i just wanted to report a bug with the RelearnRework option of this mod.

If you are trying to use the relearn option from the party screen on a Pokémon that doesn't have any moves to relearn, either because it's something like Ditto that doesn't learn any moves, or because it simply isn't high enough in level to learn anything, the game crashes.

Would it be possible to change it so the game tells you something like "This Pokémon doesn't have any moves to relearn." or something instead of crashing?

I also want to note that i did not have a heart scale in my inventory when this bug ocured, so i can't say whether it would trigger if i had a heart scale.

That is *very* strange. I always have a Ditto in my party and never had such issues; the way the mod works is that it shouldn't even show the Retrain option for pokémon that don't have any moves to relearn in the first place. Can you send me the error log that came with the crash?

21 hours ago, alchemis said:

Hey, I found a bug(?) with WeDontKnowHowItGotThere which allows you to breed ditto (create a ditto egg), not sure if intended.
How to replicate:
Have ditto hold an oval stone or cherri berry etc, then put it in the box with any (might need to be male) pokemon, but make sure that you put ditto in the daycare before the other pokemon, if you put it second the bug doesn't occur.

Hahahaha, oh boy, that gave me a good laugh just now. That was absolutely unintended. I found a different bug in the part of the code that decides which pokémon is treated as the father and which is treated as the mother earlier today and rewrote it. The bug you reported should be fixed along with it.

4 minutes ago, Aironfaar said:

That is *very* strange. I always have a Ditto in my party and never had such issues; the way the mod works is that it shouldn't even show the Retrain option for pokémon that don't have any moves to relearn in the first place. Can you send me the error log that came with the crash?

Sure thing, lemme just pick any random Level 5 Pokémon i have..... i'll send you a private message.

1 hour ago, ShogokiX said:

Sure thing, lemme just pick any random Level 5 Pokémon i have..... i'll send you a private message.

Thanks again for the bug report. The updated version is now up for download!

Also, while I'm posting here: @KazukiNero, the newest version of the Additional Options pack now has the option you asked for. Enjoy!

@Aironfaar Thanks I remember this option from ep 18 just not sure which mod had it and it made using pickup ability worth it without having to have many or all party with the ability to so just raising to 25% to 50% kept it from being broken while only need to use 1 pokemon in your party.

Since I had to edit this anyways though to say this here. When I first added the pickup option is worked well, but after awhile it stopped working and even trying it at 100 it doesn't work. I don't get any error message so I got no idea what happened.

You know, i'm glad that you reworked the move relearning mod the way it is now.

While waiting for Reborn Ep19 i have played a number of different other monster taming games, for one to kill some "waiting for Ep19" time, and also because i really wanted to know which games could prove to be a real alternative to official Pokémon games. I'm not going to drop any names here, but some of these games are very promising.

And as a matter of fact, the games that i liked the most, although for different reasons, all had one thing in common: you could change the moves of your monsters at any time, as long as you were outside of battles. Those games all made it a default feature to swap between any moves a monster had learned at any time, either through leveling, breeding, or move tutors.

I really like the fact that thanks to your mod this exact feature is now a thing in Pokémon Reborn.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, KazukiNero said:

Since I had to edit this anyways though to say this here. When I first added the pickup option is worked well, but after awhile it stopped working and even trying it at 100 it doesn't work. I don't get any error message so I got no idea what happened.

Strange, I have no idea at all how it could possibly break. Does your pokémon with Pickup maybe hold an item? Because Pickup only triggers when it doesn't.

In Ep19 any item you get through a Pokémon's pickup ability will be added to your inventory directly. You do not have to pick it off from your mon any more.

But if you happen to GIVE your mon with pickup ability an item, pickup won't trigger any more, just as Aironfaar said.

59 minutes ago, KazukiNero said:

@AironfaarNo my pokemon doesn't hold an item and I tried 3 different pokemon with pickup ability including catching a new mowth with the ability as well.

Well, this is massively weird. I don't see at all how this could happen… All I modified was the line pertaining to the 10% chance of Pickup to trigger, so if it doesn't even with the mod installed and set to 100%, there must be another reason that's part of the default way how the ability works. Hence my question whether the Pickup critter was holding an item.

@AironfaarTried a new game to see if it was my save, but still had same problem with nothing being picked up even at 100 and not holding an item. Tried by battling a trainer and wild pokemon. I don't keep many backup saves to save space only 5 so by time I noticed this happened I had saved to many times to go back, but I think this started when after I used the switcharoo move. Tried testing if using the move again fixed the problem, but it did not also the pokemon that used switcharoo was not my pickup pokemon.

If in doubt it always helps to see what happens if you remove the mod. If things work normal again, at least your save should be fine most of the time.

Although with pickup and its base chance of actually picking up an item after a battle you might find yourself slaughtering the entire population of wild mons before you actually get an item XD

I know, because i always keep a mon with pickup on my team during leveling phases. It's free healing items after all, i actually managed to get 99 full restore through pickup on higher levels in Ep18.

5 hours ago, KazukiNero said:

@AironfaarNot sure why, but I tried testing it at a low number and somehow it works. So 100 is instead 0% and 0 is 100%

…I'm an idiot. lol

Looks like I accidentally packed the first version where I, due to a brainfart, put < in the if condition when it should've been >=. In that version, it's exactly backwards, as you said. I'll upload the version I had sitting in my local folder all the time as soon as I get to my computer.

8 hours ago, Gelius said:

So apparently the more options mod kinda breaks after you open it multiple times in game.

And also appears before options given by passwords.

Huh, how does it kinda break? And… that's very odd, it shouldn't even be possible for it to appear before options given by passwords.

6 hours ago, Aironfaar said:

Huh, how does it kinda break? And… that's very odd, it shouldn't even be possible for it to appear before options given by passwords.

It kind of duplicates the options if you open the menu for optuons a second time and so on and so forth

Edited by Gelius
Typo

Hello can you explain how the exp divisor option works? I wanted to make it so the exp gets divided evenly between all 6 pokemon so they all get the same exp ammount since I feel the exp all is giving everyone full or half the exp and they are levelling up too fast

@KazukiNero You can find the properly working PickupChance mod in the mod pack's newest version now.

4 hours ago, Gelius said:

It kind of duplicates the options if you open the menu for optuons a second time and so on and so forth

Oh hey, the Unreal Time options also check whether they're already in the options menu before they get added. Funny how I missed that, huh.

That bug is now fixed with the newest version. As far as I can tell, there's nothing I can do about the Unreal Time options being added to the options menu underneath my additional options if you open the options menu before loading a game with activated unrealtime password though.

41 minutes ago, Cylland said:

Hello can you explain how the exp divisor option works? I wanted to make it so the exp gets divided evenly between all 6 pokemon so they all get the same exp ammount since I feel the exp all is giving everyone full or half the exp and they are levelling up too fast

Ah, the divisor mod does nothing of the sort. It just divides the amount of experience you gain by the number set in the options, meaning that if you set it to any value above 1, you get less. I added that option to the mod so players could set up challenge runs where combat gives less experience points, and to allow a bit of fine tuning of the factor option (e.g. to allow all experience gains to be increased by 50% by setting the factor to 3 and the divisor to 2).

By the way, Exp. All gives all pokémon in your team that are above 0 HP and weren't present in the fight exactly 1/3 of the experience that participants get.

• Upvote 1