Quotes

Cyrus

"Honestly, if I had taken this whole career thing seriously, I would have named it something else (besides Foo Fighters) because that's the worst fucking band name in the world."
- Dave Grohl

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“The books are to remind us what asses and fool we are. They're Caeser's praetorian guard, whispering as the parade roars down the avenue, 'Remember, Caeser, thou art mortal.' Most of us can't rush around, talking to everyone, know all the cities of the world, we haven't time, money or that many friends. The things you're looking for, Montag, are in the world, but the only way the average chap will ever see ninety-nine per cent of them is in a book. Don't ask for guarantees. And don't look to be saved in any one thing, person, machine, or library. Do your own bit of saving, and if you drown, at least die knowing you were headed for shore.”

-Fahrenheit 451, Ray Bradbury. One of my favorite books ♥

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't believe you even if your tongue was notarized. ~Jerry Lawler

Trying to make a woman do something she doesn't want to do is like trying to baptize a cat. ~Dr. Phil

• 2 weeks later...

“When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.”

― C.P. Snow

One must keep in mind the consequence of disobedience under such regimes. The damage to the ones one cares about always outweighs the poor fortunes of those of people you don't know. Black and white is simple. The world is neither. C.P. Snow can make a deep statement, but it cannot equate to you how much it would cost to do something other than what was ordered of you.

http://thaddeusstevenssociety.com/Quotes.html

• It is said the South will never submit — that we cannot conquer the rebels — that they will suffer themselves to be slaughtered, and their whole country to be laid waste. Sir, war is a grievous thing at best, and civil war more than any other ; but if they hold this language, and the means which they have suggested must be resorted to ; if their whole country must be laid waste and made a desert, in order to save this Union from destruction, so let it be. I would rather, Sir, reduce them to a condition where their whole country is to be re-peopled by a band of freemen, than to see them perpetrate the destruction of this people through our agency. I do not say it is time to resort to such means, and I do not say that the time will come, but I never fear to express my sentiments. It is not a question with me of policy, but a question of principle.
    • As quoted in Thaddeus Stevens: Commoner (1882) by E. B. Callender, Ch. VI : Heroic Epoch, p. 113
  • I will be satisfied if my epitaph shall be written thus: "Here lies one who never rose to any eminence, who only courted the low ambition to have it said that he striven to ameliorate the condition of the poor, the lowly, the downtrodden of every race and language and color."
  • Speech (13 January 1865), as quoted in History of the Antislavery Measures of the Thirty-seventh and Thirty-eighth Congress (1865) by Henry Wilson, p. 388
  • “Sir, when I reflect how apt hereditary wealth, hereditary influence, and, perhaps, as a consequence, hereditary pride are to close the avenues and steel the heart against the wants and the rights of the poor, I am induced to thank my
    Creator for having, from early life, bestowed upon me the blessing of poverty. Sir, it is a blessing – for if there be any human sensation more ethereal and divine than all others, it is that feelingly sympathizes with misfortune.”

"Nothing is easier than denouncing the evildoer. Nothing is more difficult than understanding him." -Dostoyevsky

"Fairy tails don't tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tails tell children that dragons can be killed." -G.K. Chesterson

"Men are not prisoners of fate, but only prisoners of their own mind." -Franklin D. Roosevelt.

One must keep in mind the consequence of disobedience under such regimes. The damage to the ones one cares about always outweighs the poor fortunes of those of people you don't know. Black and white is simple. The world is neither. C.P. Snow can make a deep statement, but it cannot equate to you how much it would cost to do something other than what was ordered of you.

Such is the difference in many cases when presented with cases of Micro vs Macro

• 3 weeks later...

“In my youth, in my manhood, in my old age, I had fondly dreamed that when any fortunate chance should have broken up for a while the foundation of our institutions, and released us from obligations the most tyrannical that ever man imposed in the name of freedom, that the intelligent pure and just men of this Republic, true to their professions and their consciences, would have so remodeled all our institutions as to have rid them from every vestige of human oppression, of inequity of rights, of the recognized degradation of the poor, and the superior caste of the rich. In short, that no distinction would be tolerated in this purified Republic but what arose from merit and conduct.

This bright dream has vanished ‘like the baseless fabric of a vision.’ I find that we shall be obliged to be content with patching up the worst portions of the ancient edifice, and leaving it, in many of its parts, to be swept through by the tempests, the frosts, and the storms of despotism.

Do you inquire why, holding these views and possessing some will of my own, I accept so imperfect a proposition? I answer, because I live among men and not among angels; among men as intelligent, as determined, and as independent as myself, who not agreeing with me, do not choose to yield their opinions to mine. Mutual concession, therefore, is our only resort, or mutual hostilities.” – Thaddeus Stevens, June 13, 1866, on the alteration of his original proposal for the14th Amendment.

"Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you."

- Tyrion Lannister; A Game of Thrones

Edited by Notus

"Veni, vedi vici."

(We came, we saw, we conquered.) -Julius Caesar

"Of all our possesions, wisdom alone is immortal."

-Isocrates

"No human being will ever know the Truth, for even if they happen to say it by chance, they would not even known they had done so."

-Xenophanes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts"
"If you're going through hell, keep going"
"I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly."
-Winston Churchill
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
"There is no great genius without a mix of madness"
-Aristotle, one of my favorite philosophers :3
"No evil can touch a good man, both in life and death"
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
-Plato (I think...?)

“We do have a lot in common.
The same air, the same Earth, the same sky.
Maybe if we started looking at
what's the same instead of
always looking at what's different,

...well, who knows?”

-Meowth

Edited by Nova

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts"

"If you're going through hell, keep going"
"I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly."

-Winston Churchill

This needs some love. Out of any other quote person I can think of, Winston Churchill is my favorite. Just to add to the Churchill madness. Some random ones too.

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender." -Winston Churchill two days before Operation Overlord

"Then I saw that there was a way to hell, even from the gates of heaven." - Bunyan's Pilgrim's

"You don't have to believe in your government to be a good American. You just have to believe in your country." - George W. Bush / Harold and Kumar: Escape from Guantanamo bay

"Well, for one thing, the culture we have does not make people feel good about themselves. We're teaching the wrong things. And you have to be strong enough to say if the culture doesn't work, don't buy it. Create your own. Most people can't do it." - Morrie Shwartz from Tuesdays with Morrie

“The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone,” the pope told worshipers at morning Mass on Wednesday. “‘Father, the atheists?’ Even the atheists. Everyone!”

Francis continued, “We must meet one another doing good. ‘But I don’t believe, Father, I am an atheist!’ But do good: we will meet one another there.” - Pope Francis

And then conservative retards happen.

"Francis was clear that whatever graces are offered to atheists (such that they may be saved) are from Christ," the Rev. John Zuhlsdorf, a conservative Catholic priest, wrote on his blog.

"He was clear that salvation is only through Christ’s Sacrifice. In other words, he is not suggesting – and I think some are taking it this way – that you can be saved, get to heaven, without Christ."

"You are the best. You are the worst. You are average. Your love is a part of you. You try to give it away because you cannot bear its radiance, but you cannot separate it from yourself. To understand your fellow humans, you must understand why you give them your love. You must realize that hate is but a crime-ridden subdivision of love. You must reclaim what you never lost. You must take leave of your sanity, and yet be fully responsible for your actions."

-Gnarls Barkley, in a letter to the legendary rock critic Lester Bangs

Edited by Nova

You think freedom is something you can give or take as of whim?

But to your people freedom is something as essential as something such as air.

And without it...

There is no life,

There is only... Darkness!

Zaheer

-Legend of Korra

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite Warhammer 40k quotes, they may be a little extreme for someone but "in the grimdark future where there is only war" this is normal:

"Rest? We were not made to rest, we go on, unflinching, unstoppable, unending in our strength. The Emperor did not make us for such mortal concerns as hearth and home, vanity or contemplation; we are his engines of war, his hammers, beating out the fabric of existence into a vessel fit for Mankind to inhabit."

-Ferrus Manus, Primarch of the Iron Hands Legion

"Tell them ruin has come to their world. Death, despair and red war...tell them their hopes and pride have come to nothing. Tell them their empty whispers fall upon deaf ears, their gods are dead, human reason has killed them. Tell them the Angels of Death have come. Tell them nothing can save them now."

-Perturabo, Primarch of the Iron Warriors Legion

"A Heretic may see the truth and seek redemption. He may be forgiven his past and will be absolved in death. A Traitor can never be forgiven. A Traitor will never find peace in this world or the next. There is nothing as wretched or as hated in all the world as a Traitor"

-Cardinal Khrysdam, Instructum Absolutio

"An open mind is like a fortress with it's gates unbarred and it's walls unguarded"

-Isador Akios, Brother-Librarian of the Blood Ravens chapter (3rd company)

"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment"

"There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt"

"In an hour of darkness a blind man is the best guide. In an age of insanity look to a madman to show the way"

"Only the awkward question, only the foolish ask twice"

"Victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none"

"Pain is an illusion of the senses, despair is an illusion of the mind"

"Even a man who has nothing can still give his life"

"Doubt is the open gate through which slips the most fatal of enemies"

"Fight battles that are small enough to win, but large enough to matter"

-Anonymous (yes all of them)

Edited by Gaunt

"This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will... My rifle and I know that what counts in war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit... My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will keep my rifle clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will... Before God, I swear this creed. My rifle and I are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life. So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but peace!"

-Rifleman's Creed, originally drafted by Major General William H. Rupertus

Edited by Stratos

"In explaining their decision to pull Assassin’s Creed, Ubisoft revealed that only about 3% of their sales came from Wii U. The numbers are likely similar for Activision and Call of Duty, I imagine, hence this decision. Now Nintendo has to face the reality that the most popular video game series in the world can’t be bothered with their console."