Quotes

Cyrus

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barack Obama back in Germany, this past June.

We may no longer live in fear of global annihilation, but so long as nuclear weapons exist, we are not truly safe. We may strike blows against terrorist networks, but if we ignore the instability and intolerance that fuels extremism, our own freedom will eventually be endangered. We may enjoy a standard of living that is the envy of the world, but so long as hundreds of millions endure the agony of an empty stomach or the anguish of unemployment, we’re not truly prosperous.
Our values call upon us to care about the lives of people we will never meet.

Read the whole speech though. It's very good.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2013/06/19/remarks-president-obama-brandenburg-gate-berlin-germany

I'd suggest that peace with justice begins with the example we set here at home, for we know from our own histories that intolerance breeds injustice. Whether it's based on race, or religion, gender or sexual orientation, we are stronger when all our people -- no matter who they are or what they look like -- are granted opportunity, and when our wives and our daughters have the same opportunities as our husbands and our sons. (Applause.)

When we respect the faiths practiced in our churches and synagogues, our mosques and our temples, we're more secure. When we welcome the immigrant with his talents or her dreams, we are renewed. (Applause.) When we stand up for our gay and lesbian brothers and sisters and treat their love and their rights equally under the law, we defend our own liberty as well. We are more free when all people can pursue their own happiness. (Applause.) And as long as walls exist in our hearts to separate us from those who don’t look like us, or think like us, or worship as we do, then we're going to have to work harder, together, to bring those walls of division down.

"A true revolution of values will lay hand on the world order and say of war, 'this way of settling differences is not just.' This business of burning human beings with napalm, of filling our nations' homes with orphans and widows, of injecting poisonous drugs of hate into the veins of people normally humane, of sending men from dark and bloody battlefields physically handicapped and psychologically deranged, can not be reconciled with wisdom, justice and love."

- Martin Luther King Jr.

• 2 weeks later...

''Haha how's it going, bros? My name, is Peeewwdiepiee...'' -A swedish guy on Youtube.
''I love school! Is like, the best place on planet!!'' -...Said no one ever.
''I like shorts, they're comfy and easy to wear!'' - Pepsiman.

''Haha how's it going, bros? My name, is Peeewwdiepiee...'' -A swedish guy on Youtube.

''I love school! Is like, the best place on planet!!'' -...Said every working adult ever.

''I like shorts, they're comfy and easy to wear!'' - A youngster

Fixed that for ya.

"I'm the Scatman

Ski-Bi dibby dib yo da dub dub

Yo dab dub dub

Ski-Bi dibby dib yo da dub dub

Yo dab dub dub

B-B-B-Be Bop a Bodda Bop

Bop a Bodda Bop

Be Bop a Bodda Bop

Bop a Bodda Boop

B-B-B-Be Bop a Bodda Bop

Bop a Bodda Boop

Be Bop a Bodda Bop

Bop a Bodda Bop"

-Scatman John

• 2 months later...

Got a journal from a book store, but on every page is a Mark Twain quote, usually from a work of his. I may post a few every now and then.

"You should never do anything wicked and lay it on your brother, when it is just as convenient to lay it on some other boy."

"I saw men whom thirty years had changed but slightly; but their wives had grown old. These were good women; it is very wearing to be good."

"When I am king, they shall not have bread and shelter only, but also teaching out of books, for a full belly is little worth where the mind is starved."

"He had had much experience of physicians, and said, 'the only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like, and do what you'd druther not.'"

"...How could I ever have believed you would betray me? I am ashamed... So deeply ashamed of my lack of faith...of my rage..." - Corvus, Dragon Quest IX

"Victory...is my destiny." - Meta Knight, Super Smash Bros Brawl

"I want to be the kind of person who gives... But in this world, some foolish humans exist who would show their strength by taking what isn't theirs." - Lysandre, Pokémon XY

And now for the derpy ones... I'm me after all.

"I hope she made lotsa spaghetti!" - Luigi, Hotel Mario

"All toasters toast toast!" - Mario, Hotel Mario

"Brb cookies" - God Bibarel, Reborn

More words from Mark Twain.

"Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat."

"The fact that man know right from wrong proves his intellectual superiority to the other creatures; but the fact that he can do wrong proves his moral inferiority to any creature that cannot."

"It could possibly be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native criminal class except Congress."

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."

• 1 month later...

"The White Prophet's premise seems simple. He wished to set the world in a different path from the one it had rolled on through so many circuits of time. According to him, time always repeats itself, and in every repetition, people make most of the same foolish mistakes they've always made. They live from day to day, giving in to appetites and desires, convinced that what they do does not matter in the larger scheme of things.

According to the White Prophet, nothing could be further from the truth. Every small, unselfish action further nudges the world into a better path. An accumulation of small acts can change the world. The fate of the world can pivot on one man's death. Or turn a different way because of his survival. And who was I to the White Prophet? I was his Catalyst. The Changer. I was the stone he would set to bump time's wheel out of its rut. A small pebble can turn a wheel out of its path, he told me, but warned me that it was seldom a pleasant experience for the pebble." - FitzChivalry, character of Robin Hobb's Farseer Saga.

"Those who fight for themselves in combat generaly live longer than those who fight for others... but when they die, there's no one there to mourn or remember them; they never gave themselves to anyone else is why" -Warren Lumenlux, dialog from Ending cutscene of "Zone of Enders: the Fist of Mars" (I know it was said by that character, but I can't find anything to back up the qoute and don't feel like going back to find out... might be paraphrased abit.)

"Peace among men living alongside one another is not a natural state. on the contrary, the natural state of man is that of war. War manifested not only by open hostilities, but also by the constant threat of hostility. Peace, there fore, is a state that must be established by law." - Immanuel Kant, "Perpetual Peace", chapter 2

Sometimes it seems unfair that events so old can reach forward through the years, sinking claws into one's life and twisting all that follows. Yet perhaps that is the ultimate justice: we are the sum of all we have done added to the sum of all that has been done to us. There is no escaping that, not for any of us. - FitzChivalry, Farseer Saga by Robin Hobb