What's you favorite mythical creature and why?

Wolfox

Not one of you mentions anything from Indic mythology REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Strictly speaking, a large portion of our mythological characters are some or other incarnation or deity, so to name them here would not be accurate, as they are not merely creatures. I am partial to elephants, and our list of mythological elephants and elephantlike creatures is rich; Airavata, the white elephant with four tusks that is the mount of the god Indra and the literal seat of wisdom, the Ashtagajas or Eight World Elephants that each stands at one end of the universe in each of the eight dimensions/worlds, and so on. My favourite (non-deity) elephant motif, though:

Spoiler

1. Yali, Vyala or Gajasimha:

A chimaeric creature that is variously depicted in South Indian cultures as a lion- or tiger-like beast with the tusks and face of an elephant, and often with wings or the tail of a serpent. It is supposed to be the most powerful of beasts, combining the power and regalia of the lion with the wisdom of the elephant. The creature is a common motif in Dravidian art and temple architecture, and is an icon of our culture.

Throne_leg_depicting_gajasimha%2C_Ganga_dynasty%2C_13th_century%2C_India%2C_ivory_-_Freer_Gallery_of_Art_-_DSC05225.JPGe7f61c574c2398e9356d6fc7a6829a5a--elephant-sculpture-vietnam-history.jpg

Elves or fairies I think. They look human but can use magic which is lovely :P

I actually don't like dragons that much. Like they look badass but can't really see my predator as something I should love haha

23 minutes ago, Candy said:

I actually don't like dragons that much. Like they look badass but can't really see my predator as something I should love haha

your predator? Fairy types are strong against dragons tho

2 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

your predator? Fairy types are strong against dragons tho

In Pokemon, Fairy types are super effective against Dragon types. In real life, (I'm not saying Pokemon is not real life, it's uh, in another dimension) Dragons are much stronger than fairies.

1 hour ago, Candy said:

Crap, I completely forgot about them. Do I get a second vote? I think the concept of magic and magical spells is awesome.

44 minutes ago, Candy said:

Wonder why Pokemon logic decided fairies are strong against dragons xD

Cuz dragons too stronk. As for why fairy, I always imagined the fairy type as the young and innocent type. Hence it being weak to poison/steel (sharp objects and toxins being 2 potential dangers to young children), its strength to dark as kids are more innocent and less likely to do bad, and its strength to fighting/dragon would be because violence against children is generally seen as bad. The real mystery is why does fire resist fairy.

@Wolfox@SilverHelio If were talking about retro games, I'm pretty sure that Samus Aran is the only one that can regularly kill a dragon. Dracula was probably the hardest boss for me in almost any game.

19 hours ago, Dragoknight said:

@Wolfox@SilverHelio If were talking about retro games, I'm pretty sure that Samus Aran is the only one that can regularly kill a dragon. Dracula was probably the hardest boss for me in almost any game.

I don't care who he is, he is no dragon slayer.

Genbu  Gamera

gamera3_XL.jpeg

Spoiler

The Black Tortoise or Black Turtle is one of the Four Symbols of the Chinese constellations. Despite its English name, it is usually depicted as a turtle entwined together with a snake. Further, in East Asia, it is not called after either animal but is instead known as the "Black Warrior" under various local pronunciations. It is known as Xuánwǔ in Chinese, Hyeonmu in Korean, Genbu in Japanese and Huyền Vũ in Vietnamese. It represents the north and the winter season.

In Japan, it is one of the four guardian spirits that protect Kyoto and it is said that it protects the city on the north. Represented by the Genbu Shrine,[1] which is located to the north of Kyoto Imperial Palace.

The creature's name is identical to that of the important Taoist god Xuanwu, who is sometimes (as in Journey to the West) portrayed in the company of a turtle and snake.

Gamera ( ガメラ ) is a fictional giant monster or kaiju originating from a series of Japanese tokusatsu films of the same name. He first appeared in Daiei Film's 1965 film Gamera: The Giant Monster, which was initially produced to rival the success of Toho's Godzilla; however, Gamera has gained fame and notoriety as a Japanese icon in his own right.

In the Heisei series, starting with Gamera: Guardian of the Universe (1995), the origin of Gamera was tweaked to make the theme much more directly heroic: a bio-engineered Guardian of the Universe created by Atlantis with the purpose of defeating Gyaos, another ancient creation capable of killing all human life.

In the third film of the series, Gamera 3: The Revenge of Iris (1999)... a scene provides Gamera with a link to Asian folklore, with a character relating a story in which a giant turtle is considered the Guardian of the North, with separate rival creatures defending the East, West, and South.

In the Showa series, Gamera fed on fire and was attracted by other heat sources such as power plants and Barugon's rainbow ray. He could breathe intensely hot streams of flame from his mouth when caught in a more serious situation. The Heisei version, on the other hand, could blast off mighty plasma fireballs from his mouth, usually very quickly and with varying accuracy; they were highly explosive. The Heisei version could also absorb a great deal of mana, or the living essence of Earth, and release an extremely powerful stream of pure plasma from his chest. In the final film of the Heisei series, Gamera blasted his own arm off and absorbed plasma fireballs shot by the Southern Guardian monster Iris, then used his stump to grow back his arm in a plasmic form.

Gamera also has the ability to fly. Generally, Gamera pulls in his arms, legs, head and tail into his shell, emits flames out of his arm and leg cavities, then rises up into and spins around through the air like a flying saucer. This mode of flight had an added advantage in the later films, where he used the sharp edges of his shell to cut enemies while spinning, similar to a circular saw. He has a second way of flying where he only pulls in his legs and/or tail, fires flames from the leg cavities and flies like a jet plane. In the Heisei era films, Gamera's arms would extend and stretch out into wing-like limbs similar to the flippers of a sea turtle whilst using this form of flight, giving him added aerodynamics and control.

[wikipedia]

tl;dr - Giant badass guardian turtle that rivals Godzilla.

15 hours ago, Fantastic Mr. Fox said:

A what now 

That's the name of the Leonin in the picture you posted. He's a planeswalker from Magic the Gathering and has a bunch of different cards and card art for you to google up if you are so inclined.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/savor-flavor/ajani-faces-planeswalker-2008-10-27

VTM is wonderful, but it made the WereWolves mindless brutes. I suppose I don't need to explain why that appalls me.

Let me tell you a few things about this guy here, Typhoon.

voCIHuZ.jpg

This fellow comes from the Greek mythology and is one of the most badass mythical creatures I have ever read about. Here's a bit of lore. 

He was the son of Earth and Tartarus (something like Hell), born after the Gods of Olympus defeated the Giants. He decided to take revenge for the giants. He climbed and threw Mountains against Zeus and the other gods. They got terrified and escaped to Egypt where they took the forms of animals in order to stay under his radar. Athena belittles Zeus calling him a scared crybaby, he gets mad, returns to Olympus to fight Typhoon and gets his ass kicked in a spectacular fashion.

Zeus tries to use his 100lvl range and uses Thunderbolts from afar. Typhoon throws back mountains and closes the distance. He grabs Zeus and beats him to a pulp. It seems that in hand-to-hand combat T-dog had the absolute advantage. He immobilized Zeus and tore off the tendonds of his arms and legs. Then threw him away in Syria to be guarded by his brother, Python.

There is some more lore about Zeus escaping, throwing mountains at each others faces, and a specific hill getting its name from the blood they drew against each other.

Currently Typhoon is under a volcano in Sicily, which was active at the time.

Reasonable human beings

Nah, I'm a fan of the Loch Ness Monster. She's always fascinated me since the first I read of her. She's just one of those myths that hits close enough to reality that you can't help but wonder if something really is (or at least was) there.

I also like/am terrified of unicorns. As if horses weren't scary enough already you toss on a face-spear to impale you with, a curse if you kill them, and potentially magic powers because why not?