Do you want a romance story in Pokemon Rejuvination?

MeliaFan

Do you want a Romance story in pokemon Rejuvination?  

187 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want a romance story between Melia & the MC in Pokemon Rejuvination?

• Yes
    • No

ok so i thought more about this i will be happy with any girl in the game =)) (this is the harem part talking)

but joke aside it will be interesting to see how things will go by giving the MC a girlfriend just because most of the pkmn games don.t have something like this 

anyway those are my thoughts don.t care that much about it (i am lying )

So here's something I've been thinking about. If there was a romance option, who would the girl be paired with? Yes, I know there is always the option to date another girl, and that's completely fine, but what if they are more interested in dating a boy? That would limit options severely to Kanon, Ren, Erick, Dr. Jenkel (WHY), Geara, and Zetta. Yes, I know I probably missed a couple, but still, that's extremely unfair.

22 minutes ago, Filthy Casual said:

So here's something I've been thinking about. If there was a romance option, who would the girl be paired with? Yes, I know there is always the option to date another girl, and that's completely fine, but what if they are more interested in dating a boy? That would limit options severely to Kanon, Ren, Erick, Dr. Jenkel (WHY), Geara, and Zetta. Yes, I know I probably missed a couple, but still, that's extremely unfair.

Too add on to this, anyone who wants to have the male player character paired with another boy would also have the same limited options.

Edit: come to think of it how old is the player character anyway? are Zetta and Geara even around their age? Dr. Jenkel likely isn't so... :/

Edited by Starborn
Adding text

I'm not for a romance on this either. I'm a girl who likes to play as a girl and would not appreciate having my character forced into a lesbian relationship with Melia. Nothing against lesbians, but it's just not my cup of tea.

I would rather just have the time that would have to be spent programming a romance(s) be spent on actually progressing the game. Such as coding in more areas/pokemon/plot etc. Something that all of us would like, instead of something that only 60% of us would like.

8 minutes ago, Zarc said:

Why everyone absolutely want a romance with Melia while Amber is obviously asking us to have one with her ? :D 

And Veman is obviously into Melia, so that's just being cruel to Venam if we make a move. What kind of wingperson would I be if I did that? :D 

To be honest, unless this does anything good for Melia’s character or advances upon Rejuv’s own story, it seems kind of contrived. The MC is a silent protagonist, and it’s very difficult to do show such a relationship when they don’t have set mannerisms to begin with. This kind of makes any affection feel one-sided, since the MC can’t exactly respond.

However, it has been established that the MC is their own character in this game. They even get some sort of character development after Blacksteeple, so they have that going for them. If that was expanded upon further in the game and the MC was portrayed with silent as a trait and more humane qualities, then whatever relationship interactions would be more feasible.

Also there’s the issue with Melia. Poor Melia. I desperately want her to be a good character.

Melia’s issue is that, as literally everyone and their dog has stated, she is very Mary Sue-like. She really has no flaws, and what the game thinks and states as flaws are not expanded upon, and her supposed flaws end up becoming excuses for her actions. 

Out of all things you can pair up, a silent character and a perfect character are one of the absolute worst. There are multiple reasons for this, and the main being that these leads to no chemistry, which is essential in writing a good relationship.

The thing about relationships is that they are supposed to complete each other’s faults and balance them out. In writing, this adds dynamics, and it’s often utilized when creating fluid scenes between the two romancee’s.

There lies the problem. Since there is no traits for the MC and no faults for Melia, any scene or drama happening in their relationship would feel extremely pointless. Any interesting dynamics in their relationship would be virtually nonexistent, since both are blank slates interacting with each other. There wouldn’t be any drama since there isn’t any room for any to begin with since neither have complimenting personality.

The other main problem is how a relationship like this would leading like. Since the MC cannot talk as a silent protagonist, and Melia is so intertwined in every single plot thread of the game, the MC character would end up just being a coattail to her. She would be the one speaking for them, she would be the one to broadcast the MC’s non-existent emotions. This isn’t even a relationship at that point—that’s just someone dictating their actions.

So in the end, it would be really awkward and dysfunctional. And I just made a stupidly lost post about the love life of a player character and the blond NPC, meaning my life cannot possibly sink any lower.

I never really answered the question though: Would I want romance in the game between Melia and the MC?

My answer... 👀 👀 my fanfictions will be canon

On 10/20/2017 at 12:22 PM, Ice Cream Sand Witch said:

I want a romance story between Dr. Jenkel and Karen

Milk'n'Cookies - I'm going to second this, because Dr. Jenkel's assessment of Karen after she almost literally destroys his soul is easily one of the areas in the game where I laughed the hardest. It was beautiful. It also works thematically, as she's a magician and he's a scientist, and magic is sort of the precursory study of modern sciences with the intent to manipulate the "functions" of the universe to serve humanity (or just one's self, in Karen's case to this point.)

---

I like the concept of a relationship system, and it's proven throughout the various "you explained what happened" sequences and decisions you may make in the game (most of which don't matter but hey, illusion of choice is something) identify the player as more of a "mute" protagonist than a "silent" protagonist. This DOESN'T however devalue the claims others make about the player and it doesn't change the dynamic with Melia.

DEVIL'S ADVOCATE THOUGH?

Melia has the potential to be a tragic heroine. If you haven't finished the end of Ep. 9.....

Spoiler

People have already stated things about Melia's relationship with Venam being significant. Venam's getting #Medusa'd at the end of the episode causes a genuine breakdown for Melia and leaves her in a significant state of disarray that is not attributed to her "Mary Sue" nature. I actually think Melia needs the protagonists' help to bounce back this time - and that's significant because it's an action that - in a world where the player character were to romance Melia - causes the PLAYER to take a point position in providing drive for the romance. Instead of Melia playing the action hero and speaking on behalf of you the protagonist, the player finally gets to be the hero and our Little Miss Perfect is relegated to damsel status.

I don't know if you know this, but the damsel-in-distress stories, while horribly tropey these days, work out a lot more than forcing two incompatible characters together.

This situation gives Melia an attachment to the player beyond "good friend" or "ally". The player is a "savior" figure to them, and someone Melia can aspire to be. In Rejuvenation, the player character is often robbed of the ability to save the day by characters like Crescent, Madame X, and even Melia herself - but here, when the player is the one who solves the problem of the stone Poison (and Flying) gym leader - Melia has a chance to look up to you for once.

The character also has the background story to provide and entwine with Melia's. The player seems to be loved by both Crescent and Nancy very much, where Melia's parental figures are a shade distant and have conflicting reasonings for raising her (Prof. Jenner) and are not really there (She's an orphan.) The character has the opportunity to be the first person to show a sort of "parental" or "familial" affirmation toward Melia that other characters haven't shown her. This is because the player is merely "mute" and not so much "silent".

There are some underlying problems with this. In order to balance out the roles in the relationship Jan would need to have the player speak up more, and that might be painstaking from a development standpoint because that means more decisions are in the player's control. There also is an unsatisfactory resolution with Venam, who Melia fits infinitely better with because she cover's Venam's flaws while Venam is more than capable of speaking on her own behalf and providing Melia someone to tend to and care for.

However, if it's done right, I wouldn't say a relationship between the player and Melia would be a complete train wreck. It all depends on how Melia's character is fleshed out from here onward.

• 1 month later...

I will adore this idea and only wish to see it if Melia dies afterwards and I mean actually dies. Like... getting her head chomped off by a Hydreigon dies. Can't fake that shit

Edited by Tobi

• 2 weeks later...