[IC] The Watchtower Chapter 1.0: The Green Peril

Yours Truly

Lucius enters the kitchen without much regard to his surroundings. He is deep in thought as he thinks about the possible food items available in the kitchen. He paces towards the kitchen counter, but he is forced to stop thinking because of an eerie aura in the kitchen. He immediately surveys the surroundings and quickly discovers the source of the eerie aura he is currently feeling.  Lucius sees a red herring, floating or seemingly swimming in the air.

"Are my eyes making illusions?" Lucius wonders as he rubs his eyes to see if he is hallucinating, "It's not gone. It's still there!"

Lucius looks at the red herring more clearly. It looks quite similar to the herring he observed earlier in the day. He feels uncomfortable, knowing that the herring is floating in the air. He has never seen this kind of event before. He deems it as a supernatural phenomenon, but he does not let his fear of the unnatural stop him.

Lucius approaches the red herring and tries to grab it.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The red herring darts away before Lucius could grab it successfully, it proceeds to enter the barrel from earlier, causing a trail of black powder to float into the air, before the barrel reseals itself.

"Oof!" Lucius falls down to the ground when he attempts to catch the red herring but fails, "That herring!"

The red herring enters the barrel earlier. Lucius attempts to catch it, but he fails at this as the barrel has been resealed. Black powder spreads in the room, but Lucius is not fazed by this. 

"How is this possible?" Lucius wonders as he continues to try to open the barrel, "Urgh... I've got to get to the bottom of this!"

The barrel does not hold any form of allowance to Lucius. It is shut tight with no way to open it using the bare hands.

Should I pry this open with the halberd again? Lucius contemplates, The last time I tried it, the barrel did open, but it gave a toll on my body. Should I do it again?

Lucius thinks hard for a few moments. At last, he decides that it is better to attempt to bring it into the main room, so that it can be observed and investigated with his fellow watchmen.

Lucius would find that the barrel is excessively light and easy to carry as he tries to take it all the way downstairs, it sometimes shifts on it's own, as if something was swimming inside of it.

Georgey found yet another paper. Its quality didn't really surprise him, because if this paper could just spontaneously form, why wouldn't it form into a quality made one? Still, he felt kind of bad disappointing the paper...

"Uhmmm...we have a Robert, though...that's close enough, right..?" He said into the silent night.

Yet another piece of paper falls on the pile Georgey is carrying "Perhaps they are related", after a while yet another piece of paper falls on the pile saying "Sorry for the knocking, but that wasn't me".

Georgey blinks and looks above his head to see where the new papers fell from. "Do you want to come in..? I can introduce you..." He asks whoever was leaving these notes.

"...who was it that was knocking though..?" He adds eventually.

Lucius carries the barrel downstairs. He didn't expect at all that it would be light and easy to carry instead, he expected that it would take him a huge amount of effort to carry it downstairs. Lucius reaches thhe main room in a manner of minutes and he immediately places the barrel on the table in the center of the room. He sits down on the bench and observes the barrel for movements intensely. He notices that the barrel moves slightly in between seconds and he thinks that this movement has been brought about by the red herring inside it.

I'm not letting you out of my sight, Lucius murmurs in his thoughts as he continues to look at the barrel intensely, I need to find the truth behind this phenomenon and if I have to, I'll stay up all night for it.

Lucius observes his surroundings momentarily. He sees Georgey in the entrance area, holding some papers and looking a bit confused. Lucius would have wanted to interact with him, but if he would let the barrel out of his sight, the red herring might take this opportunity to escape. Lucius decides to wait until Georgey is done with what he is doing to tell him about this incident and perhaps, ask him for some help in guarding the barrel or opening it.

"Oh well, I'm probably gonna be sleep deprived in tomorrow's Day Watch," Lucius mutters to himself, "But this incident is worth not sleeping for."

Another slip of paper falls on top of the pile "Nah I'm fine, say hi to Bob for me", you wait a couple of moments, but no more paper appears.

The barrel appears to be doing a very good impression of a barrel.

Lancelot, alone with another knight in the topmost chamber, agreed to take the night shift. While the room was dusty and all, Lancelot could see the strange lights coming from the tomb and the sound of ghosts and the smell of undeath was in the air.

"Pardon me, but are you sure you rather not take the day shift? The things at night are pretty...dangerous." Lancelot asked the other knight.

Suddenly, Lancelot detected saw the light getting brighter, so he lifted(or broke the window), and readied himself to fire at anything that moved or looked funny. 

Fortunately, nothing from the tomb came close to the gates of Astrakane. Lancelot kept close watch as the night began to fade and the day began to rise...

"Okay, so maybe I don't know a flight spell.  Yet," Harbin admits, after several hours of attempting to cast one, "I promise I'll spare whoever throws me a rope or a ladder or something all but a token amount of wrath!"

Lancelot would find nothing other than the distant lights of other watchtowers sending out the all clear signal on the old "semaphore" system, just like you were told to do at the start and end of every shift.

Georgey went back inside, kinda disappointed this guy didn't accept his invitation. He waved as he closed the door. "Bye..."

He then turned back inside to look for Robert. He lightly tapped on the man's shoulder if and when he found him. "Uhm...there was someone at the door who told me to say 'hi' to you...so...'hi'."

On March 21, 2017 at 8:18 PM, DarkChampionAkihito said:

"Pardon me, but are you sure you rather not take the day shift? The things at night are pretty...dangerous." Lancelot asked the other knight.

"Well, yes, I would have rather had the day shift, but the others laid claim to it first. I don't mind, though. Someone had to guard at night, and I would rather be there to help than let someone else botch it."

Lucius feels tired and exhausted while looking at the barrel. It stopped moving a while ago, and it seems to have no indication of having a moving being inside at all. He wants to rest, but he can't leave the barrel unguarded. He is afraid that if he doesn't pay attention to it, he cannot unlock the mystery of the red herring. 

Lucius eventually decides that he should tell his other watchmen about it. He would have wanted to tell Georgey, but he already left and went upstairs. He chooses to find Robert and looks for him at the watchroom. He finds him there, talking with Lancelot, another of the watchmen.

Lucius approaches Robert slowly and with a light tap on Robert's left shoulder, Lucius then speaks, "I'd like to talk about an important incident in the watchtower."

Lucius tells Robert about the red herring and what transpired with it. With a kind look on his face, Lucius asks, "Can you guard this barrel for me? I need some sleep to prepare for tomorrow's Day Watch."

Seemingly to punctuate the paper giver's statement, the loud knocking continues immediately after Georgey started talking to Robert, but this time the snapping sound does not signal the stop of the loud knocking.

Herbin would perhaps continue to be quite annoyed at the idea of being ignored.

"Thank you so much," Lucius tells Robert with a smile, "Just ask me for help if you need it. I'll be sure to respond to it."

Lucius turns around and notices that Georgey is also in the room near Robert. He remembers that Georgey was busy in the entryway, probably responding to the person or something out the door which Lucius was not able to find. 

Lucius begins to speak to Georgey, "Are you not going to sleep yet to prepare for the Day Watch?"

Hmmm...Robert must've not heard him. Georgey sighs, kinda disappointed but not really. He was just about to head back down into the main hall when he heard someone calling out to him.

"Oh...there was someone at the door so I...had to check? They were looking for Robert, but they're gone now." He turns towards and responds to Lucius.

"If you're not going to be useful like civilized peons, could you at least close the door?" Harbin asks after several hours of nobody caring, "The mushrooms that are my only form of sustenance down here will wither in the harsh light of the day, and then I shall most assuredly perish!"

Perhaps they were hard of hearing, or perhaps they had simply wanted to pretend that things were normal for once, but Herbin had been ignored once more.

The knocking on the door stops as the sound of marching approaches the tower, and Lancelot would be able to make out some halberd and torch carrying red wearing men approach the tower with a panicked look on their face.

"Oh, okay. Do get some rest if you can; you'll need it for tomorrow's Day Shift," Lucius replies to Georgey. He would have wanted to talk about the incident at the entryway, but he is a bit too exhausted to do so. He decides that he should save that story for later.

Lucius moves away and heads to the barracks. He yawns as he approaches the said room and stretches his arms a bit. As he reaches the barracks, he begins to think of the occurrences during the day.

This day has totally been abnormal, Lucius thinks, There was that red herring in the laboratory, that knocking on the door, the hatch in the main room, and I hear loud sounds of marching outside. I want to do more, but I really do need some sleep.

I'm hearing noises from the hatch also, Lucius hears, but I'll just have to investigate that with another person tomorrow.

Lucius reaches the beds of the barracks. He takes out a piece of paper in a desk in the barracks and writes out a note saying, "I'm going to sleep for a few hours. Wake me up if you need me or if there's a disturbance inside or outside.

Lucius lies down and when he closes his eyes, sweet sleep immediately embraces him.

The banging on the doors are stopped by the sound of several pikes entering rather quickly into something before hitting the door, after a few moments a much more relaxed knocking sound can be heard, and a gentle voice says "Don't worry, we're the guards from The Other Watchtower".

"Okay...sleep well. I will too..." Georgey waves goodbye to Lucius. Afterwards, he heads back down into the main room to have a little nap on the floor, wholly keen on accepting the man's proposal, when he hears banging on the door once again. 

Since he was already there and still on his feet, Georgey sees no point in not opening the door up, especially as they were watchmen as well, so he shrugs, walk over to the door. However, his decision to open the door is curbed by the gleaming pikes protruding through them. Georgey's hand hesitates to grab the knob and he pulls it back. Looking at the door, still unopened, he opens his mouth: "Uhm...are you ok out there..? Do you need some help..?"

One of the "Watchmen" say with a bright and clear voice "Well yes I mean we just killed a-" the voice was then cut off by another, much deeper and commanding voice who replied with "Hold on, how do we know that you are all human? How do we know that you aren't one of them?".