[IC] The Watchtower Chapter 1.0: The Green Peril

Yours Truly

It was a bright and clear morning as you entered the tall building that will become your home for the next few years, the old watchtower on the edge of the moorlands, This is the good old border between whatever it is the mad king is calling the country this week, and the not very well defined and often wartorn border of the barbarian lands to the far east of Astrakane.

The man who had trained the watchmen had given them a thorough dressing down this morning, and a beautiful speech about duty, honor, and teamwork that at the very least brought tears to the sole remaining eye of the black haired military man who had dragged you through hell for the last few weeks. A tiny part of you may be disappointed at the fact that you hadn't beaten him up or embarrased him in any shape or form.

The grey and battered stone bricks and the heavily fortified double doors does nothing to make the watchtower seem any more inviting, but it appears to be time to enter....
[OOC: Everyone may post once]

Edited by Cronos5010

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"This is what a watchtower looks like? It seems more normal than I thought," Lucius Braxton mutters to himself as he touches the brick wall of the interior of the watchtower. He walks forward, carefully inspecting the brick wall for any irregularity. He doesn't notice anything in need of investigating, so he glances around him. He sees his soon-to-be longtime companions in the watchtower who are also carefully watching around the water, interested in their own business.

I'm not sure if I'm gonna enjoy being with these people, Lucius thinks to himself. He remembers his days as a scholar in the village of Astrakane. He was typically alone and buried deeply in his research, so he wasn't really in touch with people. He's unsure whether he can adapt well to this kind of environment.

Well, I've been in their company for a few weeks with these people so I know quite a bit of their personalities and history; even then, I'm not used to interacting with people so I still might have a hard time, he continues to think as he moves towards the center area where a wide table and wooden benches are found. Lucius places his items on the table. Specifically, these are his research books, manuscripts, some machines he made, and the standard materials given to all watchmen. 

So, should I be the one to break to break the ice?, he contemplates, Oh well, might as well give it a try.

"Good morning, everyone. Let's all get along well with each other," Lucius says with a nervous smile on his face.

Robert marches into the watchtower with pride, ready to do his duty to the town! He sheds a tear of joy during the officers rousing speech, and salutes him sharply afterward. 

He he then marches to the watchtower proper, and serve us it with a keen eye. Its perfect. A little dirty, but we can fix that.He almost starts weeping for joy, but restrains himself. He must retain his dignity. 

He then turns to his fellow watchmen. They didn't really seem like the types to join a militia. They seemed more like the type who ran off to some college instead is doing their civic duty. Eh, whatever. They were still here, and he would surely get along with them. 

"Hello, fellows! I am Robert, a pleasure to make your acquaintance. Shall we clean up a bit before getting to our duty?"

((edit: my speech color was going to be grey, but apparently that's the default color :( ))

Edited by S34N1C

Georgey, unimpressed by the officer's speech, unfazed by the unwelcomeness of the Watchtower's exterior and untouched by his comrades' introductions, but very much tired from having to wake up so early for the last couple o' weeks or so and now made to carry all this heavy gear on himself, walks inside of the building, yawns, waves lazily, and sits on the floor.

"...nah."

Lancelot, still pondering over his parents' untimely death, reluctantly listened to the speech of the officer. He wondered with even with all those traits of a knight, could someone even stay on this forsaken earth for long? Lancelot walks off with the heavy gear that one of the knights pushed on him. He dragged the accursed load near the entrance of the watchtower. He stops and looks at its overwhelmingly old exterior.

"They dare call this a watchtower? A spot of gust, and this accursed building will plummet to the earth as it once was.." Lancelot says laughing at his own snide remark. 

Lancelot dragged the load into the entrance of the watchtower. Knights, who were weary from travel rested here and some knights planned to drink the night away with a whole barrel of imported Scottish ale. He found a lone table in the corner of the tower's base floor and threw the load in the corner. Lancelot proceeded to sharpen his arrows with a rock and restring his bow. All while remaining a low profile towards the other knights.

The assembled watchmen would be greeted by silence, and a rather large blackboard with the words "Organize yourselves" written on it, you are reminded of the fact that the area surrounding the watchtower requires near constant surveillance, perhaps you should organize different shifts at some point today?

There are sturdy looking stone stairs leading towards the other floors, you appear to be in the towers "Main Room", and piles of old armor and weaponry are placed rather haphazardly in the far corner of the room.

Edited by Cronos5010

As Lucius inspects his surroundings, he notices the large blackboard which says "Organize yourselves". He thinks back to the lectures of the officer and remembers that their duty as watchmen is to observe the areas surrounding the watchtower and check for any threats that may be dangerous for the town. He also remembers from the lecture that their surveillance will be done through two shifts, a Day Shift and a Night Shift, and that different people will be assigned for each shift.

"So, this means we'll have to organize ourselves and decide on what shift we'll choose, huh?" Lucius murmurs to himself. He paces towards the stone stairs as he considers his options. 

The Day Shift seems interesting to do since I'll be potentially obtaining data on different people while the Night Shift seems inviting as I'm likely to have solitude which I do appreciate, he contemplates, But the Night Shift might be too boring and it's kind of exhausting to stay up late, so I guess I'll choose the Day Shift for now and see if it suits me.

He reaches the stone stairs and decides to sit down on the steps. He observes his fellow watchmen who are sitting in different areas of the watchtower's Main Room. They seem to have different emotions on their face. 

Robert, the one who asked everyone if they wanted to clean up a bit, seems quite excited. He's probably quite stoked to be here, Lucius thinks.

Georgey, the guy who replied 'nah' to Robert's question, sits lazily in the corner with a tired and drowsy look in his face. I'm pretty sure he's not interested at all in staying here and I believe he's quite tired, maybe from the exhaustion from the past few weeks, Lucius conceives.

Lancelot, the knight who did not say a word when he entered the watchtower, sharpens his arrows on a table in the far corner. He's probably uninterested in this interacting thing, I guess, Lucius predicts.

So, if we're going to be doing shifts, we'll have to do shifts by pair, Lucius infers, So, I might as well invite someone here to join me in the Day Shift.

"Based from my observations, I guess I'll invite him," Lucius mutters to himself as he walks towards one of his companions.

"Would you like to join me in the Day Shift?," Lucius says with an inviting look in his face to the man yawning as he sits on the floor, Georgey.

"..." Georgey raises an eyebrow and tilts his head up just enough to be able to glance at the man standing before him. He wasn't particularly concerned about shifts, so he was fine if he got to be the Day Shift. He'd also have been fine being the Night Shift. So long as he could rest the other half of the day. 

"Mmmmm." He responds confirmingly. Was he supposed to hand this man a hand, though? He was looking at him kind of expectantly...

Georgey extends a hand to the man, still sitting down though, of course.

Lucius accepts the outstretched hand of Georgey and shakes his hand formally.

"Pleased to make your acquaintance," Lucius says with a small smile on his face, "It's kind of weird doing this when we have spent a month in training camp actually."

Lucius lets go of Georgey's hand and begins to walk towards the other watchmen when a thought enters his mind.

So, should I ask this question or not?, Lucius stops for a while to contemplate this but then immediately decides to do so. He paces back towards Georgey.

"If you don't mind me asking," Lucius states with a curious look on his face, "Are you really interested in being a watchman or were you just forced into doing this?"

'Pleased to make your acquaintance'? They already knew each others' names...so they counted as acquaintances, right? Maybe. Then his hand-shaking gesture would also be seen as odd. Oh well.

Georgey nods at the man and follows him with his eyes as he starts walking around. Ok, so he could go back to resting...or not.

"Hmmm? I'unno." He answers briefly when Lucius returns with a question. "Have you?"

What with that lazy response? Is this guy even literate?, Lucius thinks to himself before he begins to formulate an answer to Georgey's question, People say I'm too much of an introverted person but this guy is worse. I'm not even sure how to respond to him.

"To answer your question, I haven't been forced to sign up for this," Lucius replies in a normal tone with his eyes looking straight at Georgey, "I was merely encouraged to do so and I believe that this will be a good learning experience for me."

"So, are you illiterate or something?," Lucius asks inquisitively, not bearing anymore his curiousity, "I'm wondering because I haven't been getting good responses from you."

Georgey looks at the man and frowns slightly, but more out of confusion that anything else. He then pulls out some ruffled scrolls from his pockets and raises them for the man to look at. He'd let the man take them off his hands and walk around the room or something as he read. Not like Georgey cared much. They're scrolls containing notes and drawings of various medicinal herbs generally found around the area.

"Mmmm." He then pulls out a couple of books from god knows where behind his back and lets Lucius have them too. More medicinal reading material. Georgey crosses his hands and yawns again, waiting for it all to sink in.

"Oh my goodness. I'm sorry if that came out wrong," Lucius immediately apologizes and bows to Georgey, "You see, I'm not that used to conversations, so I can be blunt at times. I hope you can forgive me."

Lucius decides to take the scrolls and books from Georgey and attempts to see what the scrolls and books are about. He sees that they're mostly notes about medicinal herb and he concludes that Georgey might have been a doctor before.

"I'm sorry again for that, Georgey. I hope we can still work well together," Lucius tells Georgey, "Anyway, I'm interested in your research data, so if you don't mind, I'll be going to the center table to read these."

Lucius turns back and paces towards the center table, carrying his huge load of books. He places them on the table and begins to read.

Edited by Mr. Divergent

Lancelot, seeing the other knights choosing which people get the day shift and who gets the night shift, decides to sign up for the night shift. He sees a few of the other knights trying to forge a friendship to each other. Normally, to introduce one's self was customary for a knight that followed the order, but Lancelot was not one of these. Lancelot took his crossbow and sharpened arrows and headed upstairs to the top of the watchtower.

"Dear mother and father..." Lancelot started and closed his eyes.

"May my convictions shine through the night and pierce through the heart of darkness like the arrow I hold in my hand this day..." Lancelot said opening his eyes. 

Lancelot was now ready for anything that came near the watchtower, be it intruder, spectral anomaly, or the royal family who bloodied his own.

The top of the Watchtower contains the watchroom, where at some point an enterprising chap had put glass windows where there had simply been large holes, the room contained two wooden tables and two old yet comfortable looking wooden chairs, a small chest has been placed here as well, although you have yet to find a key for it.

While ascending to the top of the Watchtower you would have passed the barracks and what appeared to have once been either a kitchen or an alchemist's lab.

Status

Weather: The Sun is still up high in the sky, the clouds are few and far between, the air is slightly humid, the wind is soft and pleasant.

You believe that it is Spring.

Lucius looks up from his books and sees the other knights agreeing to do the Night Shift. He immediately decides to start doing the Day Shift since the sun was already high up in the sky. He looks to Georgey, who seems tired in the side. Deciding to allow Georgey to have a short rest, Lucius begins to pace towards the watchroom, found at the top of the tower.

As he ascends to the top of the watchtower, he sees different rooms which appear to serve different functions. Lucius chooses to simply continue ascending and just check out those rooms during the Night Shift of the other knights. He reaches the entrance to the watchroom and he opens the door slowly. He observes the interior of the watchroom and judges that the watchroom is also quite normal, as he expected it to be.

Lucius looks out the glass window and sees the vast horizon that plays out in front of him. He feels like a small speck in this wide world as he sees the vast plains and mountains out in the distance. He seems to see a small speck far away, possibly a few kilometers away, moving towards the direction of the watchtower, but decides that it might probably be his imagination only, so he decides to sit comfortably on the chair for a short break and reads his books again.

Edited by Mr. Divergent

Rather unfortunately for Lucius, that speck was not in fact, simply a part of his imagination, and over the next few hours Lancelot and Robert's rest would most likely be disturbed by the constant sound of hoofbeats crossing the relatively peaceful moor....

But for now there is nothing much of interest to see, perhaps he would want to examine the other rooms? Try and open the chest? Or would he like to examine the "semaphore" system installed on the roof? 

As for everyone else they should honestly feel free to examine and do whatever they want to do for now.

Status

Weather update: he Sun seems lower on the horizon than before....It is most likely still spring

Annoyances: Hoofbeats

Satisfied with reading some chapters of the medicinal herb books that Georgey gave him earlier, Lucius closes the book and places it on the table carefully. He feels that there may be a need to inspect the room for any other interesting things and so, decides to do so. He begins with the small chest in the room and attempts to open it, but fails miserably due to the chest being locked and there being no key in sight.

Hm... this chest is locked. Unusual, Lucius thinks, Maybe there's a key around here somewhere?

Lucius looks around the room to find the key to the chest. He looks under the tables, around the chairs, and in the side areas of the watchroom, but he does not find any key. After minutes of searching, he decides to pause his search for the key and instead, try to visit the room that appears to be a laboratory for him.

Lucius enters the room easily as there is no lock that hinders entry to it. He sees several wooden cupboards inside, all filled with different chemicals. He also notices a huge table that seems to be weathered from experimentation. On the table, he finds an old journal; its form is seemingly antique and the text is hard to read. He opens the journal and begins to read its contents. The journal appears to be narrated by a watchman from 50 years ago who shares his experience working in the watchtower. The first few pages appear normal until he gets to the 32nd page, the last page that still remains not torn and undamaged.

Lucius feels a sudden chill as he reads the last line, "Some strange events are happening around here....." 

Lucius would notice a herring falling on top of a wooden barrel on the far corner of the room, it doesn't seem to belong here...

Georgey would find a now almost empty main room, perhaps he would want to rest in the barracks?

Robert(o) may want to inspect the weapons and armor piled up in the corner of the room.

Lancelot is somehow the only man in the topmost room of the watchtower.

Edited by Cronos5010

Georgey would certainly not want to go rest in the barracks.

The floor was good enough. And not like the distand hoove-sounds bothered him. So he stays on the floor, only really shifting slowly and laying on the side, with an arm under his head.

Plop, plop, plop

Lucius turns quickly as he hears a sound of a falling object somewhere in the room. As he looks to the direction of the sound, he sees a herring plopping about on a wooden barrel in the far corner of the room.

Oh, it's just a herring, Lucius thinks as he turns back to the journal he was reading.

Wait, a minute. That's not supposed to be here! Lucius realizes and he quickly turns around again and runs in the direction of the herring.

Lucius reaches the wooden barrel with the herring on top, and inspects the herring. He finds that the herring is still alive. The herring is not the 'dangerously waiting for death' alive type but it is the 'actively wanting to escape' alive type.

Why is this herring here? From its looks, it appears to have been here recently. But, there are no bodies of water near here, Lucius analyzes, Wait.... is this related to the strange things happening mentioned in that journal? No, I refuse to believe that it's part of it. I am a man of science, not a man of superstition.

Keeping a calm head but still afraid of the strange incident, Lucius throws the herring out of the watchtower.

Georgey may be bothered by the loud racket Robert is making as he starts to tidy up the main room, in the process Robert discovers a pristine looking and unlocked trap door seemingly beckoning for him to open it.......

Upon examination the barrel has the faded words "Sa..t P.t.r" drawn on it's side, it makes one wonder what it contains....

The herring is thrown out if the window, it hits the ground and perishes immediately, nothing really interesting happens, it is quite red though.

Status

Weather: The sun hasn't lowered at all despite it feeling almost like an hour, the sky is quite blue now

Georgey sighs and rolls over to his back. "Ow..." He then realizes that he is still in his armor, so he sits up, pulls the upper part off and throws it to the side.

"You might want to clean that up too..." He says to the man cleaning up, all the while picking his nose.