[IC] The Watchtower Chapter 1.0: The Green Peril

Yours Truly

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robert would find that the hatch opens up to reveal an almost impenetrable darkness, although he could hear the sound of splashing water...perhaps there is an underground lake somewhere? It may be prudent to investigate the hatch, for the security of the tower of course, although Robert's guard training would kick in at this moment as he realized that it may be a good idea to ask someone else to help investigate the hatch with him if he decides to investigate further....

Lucius inspects the barrel more closely after he throws the herring out the watchtower.

Sa..t P.t.r? What's this?, Lucius analyzes carefully the possible combinations to the faded words, Saint Peter? That's the only combination I can make that are made of real words, but it doesn't make sense at all! Is there a Saint Peter anywhere?

Lucius tries to open the barrel, so as to check its contents, but he fails miserably at this attempt. He tries again and again, but he still fails.

This barrel is pried close. How should I open this?, Lucius analyzes and reaches a conclusion, Might as well smash this with a weapon or something.

Coming to a decision, Lucius heads to the weapon room, thinking of getting a strong weapon like an axe.

Lucius would find that the barracks contain no form of weaponry, except for an old looking pair of crossed spears mounted on a wall, perhaps he would find more arms and armaments in the main room?

Hmm.... there are no weapons here, Lucius thinks when he reaches the barracks yet finds no viable weapon to pry the barrel open, Wait a minute, I brought a halberd with me, after all! I believe I left in the main room, so I might as well get it.

Lucius immediately descends down the stairs and reaches the main room. He paces towards the table where he placed his belongings and searches for the halberd, which he was not really eager to use. He finds the halberd underneath his possessions and proceeds to grab it.

Lucius returns to the laboratory room with the halberd in his hand. He proceeds to the barrel with the mysterious inscription.

With a great smash, Lucius slams the halberd hard into the barrel until it breaks.

Lucius would find that the halberd takes an exceptional amount of hits before finally breaking a sizable hole on the top of the barrel, revealing a glimpse of an awful lot of fine black powder, but nothing else of interest, no herring summoning portals or anything, not even a sizeable stream....

Due to the difficulty of the endeavor Lucius is treated as having 1 expertise for the next two actions or until he takes at least an hour to rest (1 success versus 2).

That was tiring, Lucius remarks when he finally smashes the barrel open, Now what's this? Black powder?

Lucius touches the black powder and analyzes it. It feels soft to the touch and smooth to his hands. He is slightly disappointed that its contents weren't anything extraordinary. He had expected that it would be filled with surprising objects or anything much more cooler than this boring black powder.

Lucius finally feels the exhaustion from the activity that he did. He decides to rest on the barracks for a while since his shift was nearly over.

Robert's call for help would in fact be heard throughout the tower, quite possibly annoying everyone who was simply trying to get some rest.

The sound of hoofbeats have turned into the sound of yelling and galloping horses, yet there appears to be nothing visible other than plain grassy fields.

The sun is going down in the sky, it seems that it is time for the Night watch to do something or other.

As the sun starts to go down an odd sound could be heard coming from the door, the sound of hoofbeats had stopped, but now it seems that someone had decided to knock very loudly on their solid wooden door.

Knock, knock, knock, knock, knock

Lucius awakens from his peaceful sleep due to the very loud knocking sound he can hear from the entrance of the watchtower.

Who's knocking so loudly at the door? Lucius thinks as he feels annoyed at the knocking, I might have to open the door so as to evaluate who is interrupting my sleep.

Lucius decides to rise from the bed in the barracks and he paces down to the main room. With a bit of nervousness, Lucius opens the door.

Lucius would open the door only to find nothing, or more specifically a conspicuous lack of a person knocking on the door, and a small piece of paper with the words "not anything; not a single thing" written on it, how curious...

When Lucius opens the door, he is met with silence. He peeks outside and checks the area, but there are no signs of a person anywhere. He only manages to find a small paper in the entrance containing the words, "not anything, not a single thing".

Not anything, not a single thing? How suspicious, Lucius analyzes, The presence of this paper signifies that there was really a person who visited the watchtower entrance and left this here.

Lucius continues to survey the surrounding area, but he doesn't find any trace of a person lurking in the area. He decides to lock the entrance carefully to prevent the possible suspicious person from entering the watchtower.

Being completely awake due to the annoying knocking sound earlier, Lucius remembers that his fellow watchman, Robert, was asking for help. Lucius decides to approach Robert who is lurking in the main room.

"Can I help you with anything?" Lucius tells Robert, who seems to be looking at a hatch on the floor.

"Ummmmmm...keep it down..." Georgey rolls over to his stomach as the knocking continues. He could ignore it the first time but now it was getting a bit old. And at what hour? It was already getting late and he wanted to rest. That snapping sound also sounded very very very unpleasantly annoying.

As he rolls onto his stomach, he slowly pushes himself back on his feet and yawns before walking over towards where he remembered the door was. He stops when he bumps into it, looks around confusedly, grasps the keys, unlocks it and opens it.

"Hello..?"

Georgey would be greeted by a rather terrifying sight, if you found the sight of a piece of paper with the words "Why are you late Bob?" Written on it, Georgey could also see some of the other watchtowers in the distance, their semaphores were simply displaying the good old "All clear signal", it may be wise to do the same.

"I was going to investigate this mysterious hatch, but it also seems to be my shift on the tower. I suppose I shall return to it later." 

Robert closes the hatch, and goes to his post. If Lancelot is still asleep, Robert wakes him up. 

Georgey picks the paper up. "Bob..? Who's Bob..?" He mutters to himself, scratching the back of his head. Looking in the distance, he sees some blinking lights and shrugs, but doesn't return inside. Instead, he steps outside of the watchtower and paces around its perimeter to look for any clues as to who Bob would be and why is whoever's looking for him knocking on their door and disturbing their sleep.

And again, Bob would be greeted by nothing other than some more papers saying in order of when they were found "You are not Bob", "Where is Bob?", "Do you know who Bob is?", "He's dead isn't he?", "Who did it?".

Georgey raised an eyebrow at all these pieces of paper. He picked them all up and stuffed them in his pocket, looking around to see if he could catch a glimpse of anyone. At the moment, he'd be somewhere around the entrance to the watchtower again.

"I don't know who Bob is..." He yell-well no, he didn't yell. He was quite a quiet man who couldn't really up the volume of his voice much. So it was more like said in a normal tone on voice. Somehow, he felt that would be enough anyways, so no biggie there. "But I'm not him...sorry."

"Umm....Robert?" Lucius says, but Robert is already gone; he probably postponed the investigation of the hatch since it was the night shift already. Lucius feels a bit disappointed at this; he would have interacted with Robert, but seeing that he's already out planning for the Night Watch, Lucius decides to not investigate the hatch quite just yet and instead, do another task in the meantime.

The knocking sounds on the door keeps Lucius awake. He chooses not to sleep yet since there might be other disturbances in the coming hours.

Lucius decides to look for the kitchen and maybe grab something to eat.

Georgey would find a reply in the form of a piece of paper with the words "That's okay" written on it, you are suddenly reminded of the rarity of paper, especially one that appears this white.

Lucius would find that the door to the kitchen is also the door to the alchemy lab, he would also find a red herring swimming in the air, it stares at him with menacing eyes, seemingly daring him to comment on how unlikely this is.

A shout filters up from the trapdoor.  "Aaaah!  The liiight!  It buuuurns!  How dare you burn the eyes of Harbin the Lord of Wizards?"

All of you recognize that name, and most of you the voice.  The details vary with who tells the story, but they all agree that Harbin, a crazy drifter who's convinced he's a wizard, was somehow responsible for the explosion two years ago that launched a tanning vat several hundred feet into the air and rained piss over the entire village.  Harbin was subsequently conscripted into the Watch to keep him as far from civilized company as possible.  It seems the other watchmen of his shift didn't want to deal with him any more than the villagers were.

"Prepare yourself for my arcane vengeance wrath!" Harbin continues to yell, "As soon as I can conjure a ladder, and recover my sight, you shall all pay!  Nyehehahaha!"  It also occurs to you all that shutting him in the basement for only the gods know how long likely didn't do his sanity any favors.

Edited by DragonRage