[IC] The Watchtower Chapter 1.0: The Green Peril

Yours Truly

The imposing man stands up to attention, and stares directly at Lucius for a moment, before finally saying "The more important question is why you have an entire barrel filled with nothing but black powder and herring....what was that even for?" he then continued to clean the room up, which in this case means putting all of the items into neat little piles that are completely and utterly incomprehensible for everyone else and will presumably cause issues later as no one can find where they left their various small and hard to replace items.

The man was interrupted by Georgey's question, and he turns to face the obviously tired looking man, and says "Your voice sounds rather familiar, were you on the night watch yesterday?".

The sound of hoof beats have finally crossed the glade, and the panicked looking man dismounts and charges towards the closed door of the watchtower; he stops to lean on the door to catch his breath as he realizes that there is literally no one chasing him. After a while they start knocking the heavy wooden doors of the Watchtower.

Edited by Cronos5010

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lucius was taken aback by the man's question. "Why are you asking me this? Didn't I tell you that this was a part of the supernatural phenomenon that has been going on in this Watchtower?" Lucius responds a bit sharply, his face showed a bit of anger. Of course, he was getting a bit annoyed at this man who continued to evade what he was telling him about. He normally didn't get angry, but being ignored and deprived of the knowledge that he wanted usually triggered these kinds of feelings within him. "So, answer me. Do you know anything about this Watchtower's supernatural phenomenon or do you not know anything at all?"

The imposing man stopped to look at Lucius for a moment, it was a look of someone who has seen this kind of shit too damn often, and would love nothing more than to not have to deal with it anymore, but in the end he said in his almost stereotypically deep tone of voice "I know nothing about the strange events going on in this watchtower.".

The sun was still high up in the sky as the tired guard continued to knock at the wooden door. After a while he stopped to lean back on it and catch his breath once more. His horse was lazily eating some grass a short walk away from him, and while it would have only taken a moment, he didn't feel like walking all the way over there.

"Uhm...I wasn't in the night watch." Georgey answered the big man, completely missing the point he was referring to. He walked down the rest of the stairs, tripping over a couple of the piles of stuff that have been so rudely arranged around the place for some reason while he wasn't watching and went to the door.

"Who's...yawn...there?" He asked.

"Are you saying that there have been supernatural incidents in other watchtowers around here?" Lucius seemed to have calmed down, his tone much more normal. "Please do tell me about it. I'm sorry if I might have been rude; I was simply unsure on how to take these supernatural phenomenon."

The tired man sticks a finger out and holds it out in plain view for a moment as he continued to catch his breath. After a while he breathes in rather deeply before saying "My name is not important right now, and I will not tell you what I am here for until I am sure that there are no chances of me being wounded or otherwise maimed after performing the civic duty that The City of Multon has thrust upon me. For you see....I am the bearer of Bad news". Immediately after saying those words the man rather dramatically collapsed on the floor, before groaning out the words "Do any of you have....water or something?".

The imposing man continued to try and tidy up the watchtower a bit, and he seemed to be ignoring Lucius's question, up until the point where he said "Stories are a great way to pass the time when there is no work to do. Help me clean this place a bit, and I just might teach you something useful kid".

To ask or not to ask, that is the question

Lucius analyzes the situation carefully. The imposing man just casually asked him to help in cleaning and information would be his reward if he did so, but he knew that this kind of statement was only said to bait him into helping the guy. Afterall, he had a lot of experiences wherein he was baited to help people back when he still lived in Astrakane as a scholar. Lucius decides to think up of an excuse to go outside and ascertain the knocking on the entrance of the Watchtower. He'd rather ask the imposing man about those important stuff later, when the cleaning is done, as it would seem to be more productive then.

He then blurts out with a polite tone in his voice, "I haven't caught your name yet, haven't I? I'm Lucius Braxton, former scholar of Astrakane and I'm pleased to meet you." He continues speaking, this time with a sheeping smile on his face, "I can't help you right now; it seems I have to attend to someone at the entrance of the tower." Before the man can protest, Lucius immediately leaves the room and rushes outside. He arrives outside and only hears the man there ask for water. He did seem to be exhausted and fatigued, so Lucius follows the man's request and gives the man a pitcher of water from the kitchen. When the man becomes quenched of his thirst, Lucius begins to speak in a rather curious tone, "Who are you and what is your intent here? I am Lucius Braxton, one of the watchmen in this Watchtower."

The imposing man immediately struck a rather sudden and often rehearsed pose after hearing Lucius's question, with one hand on the hilt of his sword, and another hand that had been clenched into a fist and placed over the heart hidden underneath his studded red gambeson, and he immediately declared "My name is Anatoly, and you don't have to ask me for permission to do your job watchman", and the man stopped posing and continued to clean the inside of the room as swiftly as he had taken the pose.

The tired watchman immediately took the pitcher of water and started to quaff; after a while he finally coughs out the words "I already told the other Watchman why I am here, but I haven't given him the message yet....hold on a moment".

He then spent that moment to dust himself off and greet the two watchmen properly, before putting on an easy to understand and quite slow tone of voice as he said "I come from the town of Multon with an important message, the Barbarians to the east have risen up once more, and this minor embuggerance has gotten quite annoying, but either way you should expect both refugees travelling to family in Astrakane in order to seek a more peaceful place to lay their head on, and maybe some lost Barbarians who have come to rob the previous group blind and take as many slaves they can carry off, and may I remind you that it is your civic duty to make sure that every single one of those slightly less than brave men and women make it into your town?"

"Er... I'd like to tell you that we, the Watchmen, here have only been appointed here starting yesterday, so we don't really know much on how to respond to your request." Lucius answers politely, his tone calm and serious. He points to Georgey, "This is Georgey, by the way."

"Would you mind telling us about those Barbarians from the East and what they have done thus far? And while you're at it, can you tell us about the Town of Multon and its connection with our dear village of Astrakane? I'd be glad to help, but I'd need to know a bit more before doing so." Lucius continues to ask the man who sat before him and Georgey, his voice unwavering.

The tired messenger finally stood up before proudly declaring "We provide the town of Astrakane with meat and cheese, along with a steady supply of expertly trained soldiers and watchmen who man the majority of the watchtowers on the eastern border. For the most part your town provides a steady supply of high quality grain that we then feed to our livestock. Now the Barbarians on the other hand....".

There was a slight yet unmistakable shift in the tone of voice he was using as he said with "I don't know what they call themselves now, but my father said that they used to be the great Khanate of Obed Harl, and my grandfather said that before that they were the Disorganized Warbands of Borea, and even before that his father told him that they were the Three Kingdoms of the war torn Plateau or something. In essence they are a bunch of huge annoyances, quite literally in fact....So far all they have done was spend their time becoming progressively more united and fighting in bloody wars against each other while also raiding Arctonian lands before eventually uniting underneath one leader for a massive invasion of surrounding lands" his proud tone of voice returned as he said "And then becoming routed and turning back into their natural beast like states of constant war."

He then shakes his head before saying "The refugees coming here are cowards, nothing more...nothing less, the barbarians try and raid us all of the time. It's the fancy green banners, people think that they are forming another massive warband or something.....".

"I see. It appears to me that the village of Astrakane and the town of Multon do have close ties with each other, considering that they trade off resources among the two of them, for the sake of survival." Lucius responds to the messenger, his tone serious and understanding. He changes his tone to an even more serious one, his expression a bit grim when he begins to talk about those barbarians from the east. "These barbarians are barbaric indeed, what with all the actions they've done and now they're bringing the Town of Multon in danger. I suppose we, the Watchmen, should take care of the refugees from your town. If I may ask, what exactly must we do, do we approach the refugees or simply wait for them here, guarding them in the process?"

After hearing Lucius's question the messenger slowly shook his head as he said in a tired tone of voice "Don't bother, just let them come to you, not a lot of people know the path from Multon to Astrakane by heart, and most maps use note down the watchtowers as local landmarks if they even bother to try and note anything down anyway. Just don't be surprised if you see a large group of people moving towards your watchtower. Ya better make sure to keep your weapons ready at all times, you never know what the next group of 'refugees' are planning to do". The tired man then tries to look past Lucius and Georgey, after a while he seems to be satisfied with what he is looking at, and he says with a rather pleading tone "Can I come in to your tower? it would be nice to have a few more moments rest before I set off towards the next tower....".

Meanwhile, the imposing man had finished cleaning up the bottom floor of the watchtower to his own specifications, and he looked at the completely and utterly ordered items with pride. Rather unfortunately, though, he did not manage to find any mannequins or racks for him to place the armor and weapons that he had found in the room on. He sighed while mentally writing down another note for the report he was making on the state of the watchtower, granted they have only been here for a day, but they could have made this place a little more tidy now couldn't they? And how in the hell did they get a flying herring anyway?.

The imposing man shook his head as he walked up the stairs of the watchtower. At the very least he could help make the place look more respectable for now, and he considered shouting out the words "Is there any more weird shit upstairs?", but he decided not to bother them for now.

Edited by Cronos5010

"I see. Waiting for them is indeed better in comparison to having to go to them. We'll follow through with what the village of Multon is asking." Lucius tells the messenger, who seemed tired and exhausted. It reminds him of Georgey, who spent most of yesterday sleeping and resting. He addresses the messenger's request to enter the Watchtower to rest. "Of course, you can come inside the Watchtower to rest. I'll bring you to the barracks, so that you'll be able to regain your energy for the trip back to Multon."

Lucius ushers the main inside the Watchtower, and leads him to the barracks where he asks the man to comfortably rest. He notices the imposing man, but he decides to avoid the man for a while; he deems that it would be tiring to interact with the man for the meantime. He simply decides to go and read his books in the main room.

Edited by Monsieur Divergent

The tiring man does not bother Lucius much during his stay inside of the watchtower, and he would eventually ride off towards his death the next day in the westernmost watchtower due to a rather odd series of events involving a liquid lunch, and an unfortunate amount of excessively well made arrows, but that is a story for another time.

Lucius would find it difficult to find his books, as the Imposing man seemed to have moved them somewhere.....he eventually finds them on a well dusted table in a relatively secluded corner of the watchtower.

Nothing much of interest happens for a while around the watchtower. News about the Watchtower in this part of the country reopening hasn't really had time to spread yet, and even with the promise of regular patrols not a lot of people are willing to pass by this area when there are much safer routes available.

Somebody sitting on the top of the watchtower would perhaps be able to spot a distant watchtower on the south east relaying the words "There are" using the semaphore system, after a few moments they continue with "1, 2", before continuing once more with "Many, travelers". After what felt like hours they seemed to reluctantly add the words "here". You are not sure if you should respond.

Another hour passed by without any new visitors, the messenger from earlier had went out for a while to get his horse to a reasonably safe spot near the outside of the watchtower, and the Imposing man had made several trips up and down to complain about how dirty the lab/kitchen is.

The sun was already starting to set when you saw a large group of people approaching the Watchtower, and they slowly but surely made their way over to the building itself. They didn't seem to be hostile, and they were dressed particularly warmly as they conversed at length about how the farms would do without them, and how excited they are to meet their family members in a variety of towns.