[Tresspassers IC] The Tenth God: Waddle Dee (Subplot)

Shamitako

Chronos nodded Meta Knight's head at Argent, "Most certainly."

It paused, as though searching for something before continuing.

"Speaking of spontaneously combusting, there's a firestorm coming." It said, "And there's no anchor at this location. So unless you wish to be incinerated, you should probably follow me through this teleporter."

Chronos stepped onto the teleporter, which had been plainly visible the entire time, and instantly blinked out of existence.

It reappeared in a building much like the last, equally ruinous but a bit larger. Also there was a large stone box in this one. The box was covered with writing inscribed all over the surface and a panel of nine buttons on one side.

It turned to explain to the arriving warriors, "That box is likely a puzzle of some kind. We can try to solve it or we can wait out the storm and head into the Wilds where I can get us close to another teleporter."

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leon went to the teleporter with the other, he then looked around the room. Cronos give the group a choice, either fighting the wilds or solving puzzle on this place.

"Usually, I'll choose fighting over solving buuut... I'll play save this time."

Leon choose solving the puzzle.

"You mean we get a chance to get this overwith without any potential casualties? The puzzle it is then, may the Lord guide me through this test" Atton places his attache case on the floor and waits for the others to reply, he noted how the demonic little boy was in fact at least half demon, but then again the boy was horribly out matched if he decided to attack.

Tesla had already stepped forward, walking around the large stone box and trying to examine it's markings... whatever it was, it had to have been left by the Precursors, right?

"I uh, really don't care how close you might be able to get us to another teleporter, to tell the truth. Not even one of my kind would willingly choose to brave Wrath, if they had an immediately available alternative right in front of them...well, not the sane ones at least." She stopped her pacing, turning back to face Chronos "you got any idea how we're supposed to try and solve this thing? Hints to drop, pokes in the right direction? Even just some basic instructions, maybe?"

Prei decided to make her presence known by voicing her decision.

"I think we should go with the puzzle."

Although Prei was a military woman at heart, she had done her fair share of studying. Living for over a thousand years meant having an excessive amount of time to read books - and having a bookworm for a mother just made that little fact far more prominent. In this situation, against an unknown foe, in an unknown realm with unknown rules, it was probably safest to go with the option that avoided battle. Realising she had yet to introduce herself, she spoke her name.

"Also, I'm Prei Voirgaire. Pleasure to make your acquaintance. If we had the leisure of time, I'd like to get to know all of you in person, but it seems we have more pressing matters to attend to."

"I don't know what the Wilds are, but from the sound of it... we probably shouldn't go through it if we don't have to. Puzzle, I guess..." Victoria says, examining the cube. She was never the greatest of puzzle solvers, and if the circumstances were different she may pick the wilderness, but she felt the weight in her pouch. She felt she'd best avoid combat if she could. 

She also just realized she'd not introduced herself to anyone, after Prei did so. "Victoria Denton." she said as a way of introduction. "Pretty much the same deal as Prei on further introductions."

Dimitri Kuznetsov, Voting for Puzzle

Dimitri nods at the remarks, if not even the natives dare brave the wilds, then who was he to say they should? The radiation in particular sounded quite worrying to say the least, though if there's enough time to stumble through the wilds between them, the gaps ought to be fairly long. Long enough for these invaders to move from shelter to shelter? Or are they in such numbers that even after these "firestorms" decimate them, enough remain to pose a nuisance?

"It goes without saying the puzzle is the best option. Cronos, you've been keeping in check, correct? Do you have any more combat data you can provide us with? Capabilities, armaments, tactics? Do we know how they're advancing? Just braving the wilds?"

(OOC: Sorry for the delay, didn't expect TFW to explode like that)

"Very well then- Oh, one moment." Chronos began, but immediately cut itself off.

The edge of the horizon flared up in fire, it would have looked rather pretty had the entire world not matched its flame. It slowly died back until the horizon was back to simply being dull orange. Once it finished, Chronos resumed speaking.

"Alright, as I was saying, it seems your all in favor of the puzzle." It said, "So allow me to share what I know of it. The buttons are clearly a number pad, one to nine. The text on it is a pair of numbers and instructions to input a six digit number on the pad."

Chronos used Meta Knight's sword to engrave the numbers on the ground so the group could read it:

"You'll forgive me." Chronos apologized, "But the solutions for these puzzles are specifically made invisible to me. I do know that once you solve it then it will retract for a while, allowing you to access the teleporter inside."

(OOC: So once you figure this out OOC, you have to make up a good excuse for how your character solved it IC. Being a robot means you get it instantly :P Good fun have luck

EDIT: AND IF YOU GOOGLE DO NOT SHARE YOUR RESULTS WITH SOMEONE OOC UNLESS ASKED)

Numbers. Prei hated numbers, especially when they were more than 6 digits long. She sighed and briefly wished her mother were here. Lily was always so much better at the cerebral things. She willed a bit of magic to her fingertips, causing a spark of fire to emerge on her index finger. She then used this finger to quickly write out the numbers in the air in front of her, the fire lingering in place. She voiced out her thought process, writing as she spoke.

"Okay, clearly we're supposed to do something with these two numbers. Chronos said it's a six-digit number, and the one we have here is 11 digits long. It's possible the number 7 means to start from the 7th number and start counting outwards, but that leaves us with 4 digits no matter which direction we go for, so that's a pointless line of inquiry. Alternatively, the 7 means we might have to do something with the two numbers in some kind of mathematical operation. Clearly, we want to reduce the size of the string, so multiplying and adding wouldn't make sense. Subtraction would have a negligible result. That leaves division and root for basic operations. So let's try that..."

She quickly wrote out the equations, doing her working in another segment of air. The fire that traced out these numbers was blue instead of orange, and when she wrote out the numbers, the result of the equation appeared below them in glowing green fire. She silently thanked her mother for being the mad scientist that she was and putting in ridiculous numbers of unnecessary features into the enhancer she wore on her bangs. This process would have been so much more painful without a calculator.

20408122449/7 = 2915446064

7/20408122449 = 3.43x10^-16

7rt20408122449 = 29.70496242

"Well, that was a complete waste of time."

Annoyed, she absentmindedly swiped clear the floating blue numbers with her hand. However, just by chance, her hand happened to brush away only the first number in the last equation. With the equation now altered, the green flame shifted to display a new result.

rt20408122449 = 142857

"...Well, that's a six-digit number."

Atton considered the puzzle, and after a while he finally said "Chronos since you cannot see the correct answer for this puzzle, is it possible that the answer may be something simple? Have you tried multiplying or dividing the 6 numbers with 7? This puzzle may have an obvious answer that is hidden underneath a complicated facade, like hiding your valuables in a shoe box while keeping the large uncrackable safe empty.".

Argent considers this and then mimics prei method of useing fire to write out calculations with his own hellfire, and then veryyyy slowly attempts this idea. It's slow going and he often looses track of what he was doing, not to mention he seems to keep second guessing himself. One gets the impression he's not used to working with division much

Edited by Endlessblaze

Hiroki summoned her own HUD-like construct, and keyed in the number Prei had gotten. "That number doesn't use the seven, though. . ." She frowned at it for a moment. What if. . . ? She keyed on another short sequence; multiply the number by 7.

142857 * 7 = 999999

"Do you think it's really that simple?" She swiped at the display, flipping it to be more legible to the others in the group.

(OOC: Right, I apologize for the lack of structure. I'll write something up to help me be clearer next time about and hopefully it won't be as messy)

Meta!Chronos

"It's not what the answer is, attempting to find the solution at all is impossible for me." Chronos explained to Atton, "These puzzles are specifically constructed to keep me out. I am entirely incapable of even attempting to solve this, it's simply impossible for me. And before you ask, no, it's not that I'm not supposed to ever have the Access Dispel, I'm simply not supposed to have access to it without permission from a highly Favored resident of Tempest. These puzzles are an extra line of defense to ensure that only someone worthy of granting me access does so."

The input password caused the box to collapse inwards on itself, disappearing to reveal another teleporter. The teleporter didn't seem to be on, but Chronos quickly explained that.

"Good, that's through." It said, "It might take a while to power up, so if you'd like we could take a short moment to eradicate some of the pests while we wait. Or we can just wait for the chrge."

(OOC: If you have nothing more to add to the IC rationalization of the decision, notify me of your choice on Discord, I only need two or three posts actually in the thread)

Atton doesn't even bat an eyelash at the question, and he says "Fighting is never a good idea, especially if we would be seeking the enemy, I suggest that we wait and form a defensive perimeter for now, at worst if they find and attack us, we will be prepared.".

"To be honest with you and as much as I hate to say it... I agree with this guy." Leon pointed at Anton. "We have to preserve our strength, so that we would have better preparation on fighting much worse than some small fry..." Leon smirked "and beside sometimes the best defense is a good offense."