Pokemon Reborn Hardcore [Mod][Discontinued]

Commander

• Developers

The AI mess ups in Hardcore were minimal so it's probably a good thing it won't be that much different.

In regular E15 Reborn the AI messes up very often. For me like 3/4 of all gym/boss battles were heavily influenced by AI's mistakes - making them far too easy. Is Hardcore using a different / better AI?

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In regular E15 Reborn the AI messes up very often. For me like 3/4 of all gym/boss battles were heavily influenced by AI's mistakes - making them far too easy. Is Hardcore using a different / better AI?

I don't have much experience but there are more fingers on my hand than times I had the AI mess up on me during my run of EP15 Hardcore. Think of Air Balloon to force repeated EQ spam by Terra, or Pyroar's typing allowing Qwilfish to only spam bubblebeam 90% of the time instead of 100% of the time. I'm not quite sure if that helps answer it. Granted there can only be so much that the AI can do.

I wouldn't call Hardcore's AI marvelous, but it managed to work with the old system pretty well due to spending hours manipulating the Pokemon in order to reduce AI errors (though don't ask me why it did a couple things). The AI is better, but I don't want people jumping into E16 thinking the AI is going to be glorious or near perfect and see how it's not that different. The main game's AI is just as bad so...yeah...it's a war.

On the flip side, I have most of the graphics done for CoM E16 version. Of course that is only like 6 maps in all. 3 were made by me from scratch though and one is to set up XCoM. Since Hardcore has it's own separate building, the CoM is going to be located there from now on. Even in the Reborn version you'll need to go to that building. Though for that version, you just enter the building. Anyways, I suppose I can show a teaser and you probably can get a lot out of it:

ea95c6e4136f1bac883e3d40550917af.png

I wouldn't call Hardcore's AI marvelous, but it managed to work with the old system pretty well due to spending hours manipulating the Pokemon in order to reduce AI errors (though don't ask me why it did a couple things). The AI is better, but I don't want people jumping into E16 thinking the AI is going to be glorious or near perfect and see how it's not that different. The main game's AI is just as bad so...yeah...it's a war.

On the flip side, I have most of the graphics done for CoM E16 version. Of course that is only like 6 maps in all. 3 were made by me from scratch though and one is to set up XCoM. Since Hardcore has it's own separate building, the CoM is going to be located there from now on. Even in the Reborn version you'll need to go to that building. Though for that version, you just enter the building. Anyways, I suppose I can show a teaser and you probably can get a lot out of it:

ea95c6e4136f1bac883e3d40550917af.png

So does this mean that is replacing the books stack? Or is there a building at the CoM instead of just walking into it and being teleported to the first battle?

So does this mean that is replacing the books stack? Or is there a building at the CoM instead of just walking into it and being teleported to the first battle?

The "bookstack" method isn't disappearing. It's moreso just going to be located in Hardcore HQ which I hope players will enjoy exploring or looking at little things in that place. It'll be accessed post episode 16's content as you'll notice something that wasn't there until that point. When the final episode comes, it'll actually have a physical location due to where I plan to have it moved, but I don't know the exact location.

As for the sprite department, we know I'm not the most artistic person around, however, I will eventually get all the proper sprites (bar running) for the characters, but that's just going to be two characters per episode if I don't get help as it takes me a very long time to get them done due my perception issue. My eyes can't really see textures all that well. I am having some assistance as we do need the Tauros sprites made though I decided to do this one because it's not a simple copy and paste like others:

60299302e52490aab826a0ce891faae5.png

(it was either this or seeing Trevo on a Tauros all the time)

And if by some miracle you guys want to use any of these sprites that I create for a run on regular Reborn or modding, you are free to use those.

Wheeeeeee, look at the pretty Tauros! ...What? What do you mean I can't ride a Tauros in someone's house? Heigh-ho, Tauros!

In all seriousness, I have returned from my plane, here to alpha test E16's Hardcore. From what I heard, E16's Hardcore will most likely have a few new, unique things. Hell, I even just saw the new Hardcore Building teaser just now from reading the post, so I'll definitely be keeping an eye out, and encourage everyone to do the same!

Having finished the current Hardcore CoM (ep15), will there be new content in previous episodes that will require a restart to get access to?

By the way, I really liked Hardcore Reborn, even if the battles were harder, the Lucky egg and multi exp reduced exp farming a lot and the new Tms offered more tactical possibilities for the fights.

The Gauntlet was hard even with a fully EV-trained team with overall good items (including leftovers and a life orb). In summary a really enjoyable mod and a big thank you for it.

Just to be sure, there is nothing else to do after the Gauntlet for now? :P

Shade seems to have a bit of trouble aigainst any form of dark types or coverage. After I got rid of his Rotom I nearly swept his team with my Sheer Force jolly nature Feraligatr with just crunch (Corey used confuse ray on me). Some questions: does Corey have acess to Thunderbolt if he did he would ohko my feraigatr in any circumstance exept lightscreen. Why isn't his Aegislash using King's shield aigainst my Feraligatr as one statdrop would shut my entire sweep? His dusknoir seems to be too weak to be concidered as teammember. Even with sf field shadow claw is just a 3 hit ko on Feraligatr. My guess would be if he should use a special wall Cursed Body Jellycent would be a bigger nuicance or a Prankster Sableye with Will-o-wisp or something/ A bulky Frostlass with spikes, taunt and will-o-the-wisp would also be a huge nuicance to deal with. Futhermore his team is pretty slow once dealt with Corey and Rotom as the current team lacks priority.

Having finished the current Hardcore CoM (ep15), will there be new content in previous episodes that will require a restart to get access to?

By the way, I really liked Hardcore Reborn, even if the battles were harder, the Lucky egg and multi exp reduced exp farming a lot and the new Tms offered more tactical possibilities for the fights.

The Gauntlet was hard even with a fully EV-trained team with overall good items (including leftovers and a life orb). In summary a really enjoyable mod and a big thank you for it.

Just to be sure, there is nothing else to do after the Gauntlet for now? :P

tbh, a huge chunk of E16 content is going to be implementing the Hardcore cast into the game instead of just breaking the fourth wall. While they won't directly influence the plot (except a couple instances), they do stuff while the story is going on. There'll be some slight confusion jumping from E15's end to E16 which most of it happens at the beginning of the game, but a good chunk of info is available for pretty much the entire game minus the agate segment.

Mons wise you'll miss out on the party system (and a whole bunch of alternate leader fights), the new mystery egg mons, and even an additional 2 mons on top of it, plus the secret mons for the party characters. Combined with Ep 16's overhaul on a lot of stuff, I'd say it is very, very well worth replaying it. Ep 17's content won't be nearly as massive of an update as this one since well I don't think I'll be adding much more to previous episode areas.

Shade seems to have a bit of trouble aigainst any form of dark types or coverage. After I got rid of his Rotom I nearly swept his team with my Sheer Force jolly nature Feraligatr with just crunch (Corey used confuse ray on me). Some questions: does Corey have acess to Thunderbolt if he did he would ohko my feraigatr in any circumstance exept lightscreen. Why isn't his Aegislash using King's shield aigainst my Feraligatr as one statdrop would shut my entire sweep? His dusknoir seems to be too weak to be concidered as teammember. Even with sf field shadow claw is just a 3 hit ko on Feraligatr. My guess would be if he should use a special wall Cursed Body Jellycent would be a bigger nuicance or a Prankster Sableye with Will-o-wisp or something/ A bulky Frostlass with spikes, taunt and will-o-the-wisp would also be a huge nuicance to deal with. Futhermore his team is pretty slow once dealt with Corey and Rotom as the current team lacks priority.

(Pulls out a bottle of rum) Shade's team is actually based very close to his league team only missing Sableye for the most part. No team is perfect and Shade has been able to counter many of his weaknesses to the point we've seen a great divide on if he's easy or hard. The two suggestions you mentioned are key Pokemon for other leaders which is another I try to avoid doubling up on mons as much as possible. I do appreciate the feedback though. One thing I do keep in mind is that what's easy for one person might be really hard for the majority (as Feraligatr is not available for everyone).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I've been taking it easy busy with school and such so there isn't much to say. The light modded version is complete and I'm waiting for the community release before really getting into the CoM and fixing everything. I said January, but I'd honestly say it's looking more like February seeing as I want to get a good chunk of the graphics done. They aren't going to delay the project but more like get everything else done and work on the graphics during the grace period and release whatever ones I managed to finish.

Hm, I don't know if this fits here or the regular Reborn bug thread, but I've been seeing some AI issues regarding switching out mons due to Perish Song:

Exception: NoMethodError
Message: undefined method `hasWorkingAbility' for #<PokeBattle_Pokemon:0xa4c3600>
PokeBattle_AI:2690:in `pbTypeModifier'
PokeBattle_AI:2715:in `pbTypeModifier2'
PokeBattle_AI:4047:in `pbEnemyShouldWithdrawEx?'
PokeBattle_AI:4019:in `each'
PokeBattle_AI:4019:in `pbEnemyShouldWithdrawEx?'
PokeBattle_AI:3899:in `pbEnemyShouldWithdraw?'
PokeBattle_AI:4135:in `pbDefaultChooseEnemyCommand'
PokeBattle_ActualScene:3120:in `pbChooseEnemyCommand'
PokeBattle_Battle:3659:in `pbCommandPhase'
PokeBattle_Battle:3654:in `each'
Message: undefined method `hasWorkingAbility' for #<PokeBattle_Pokemon:0xa021878>
Message: undefined method `hasWorkingAbility' for #<PokeBattle_Pokemon:0x9f38e20>
PokeBattle_AI:2717:in `pbTypeModifier2'

Basically, when the AI's Pokemon's Perish count is down to 1, this error pops up and the AI ends up essentially skipping a turn before fainting due to the Perish Song. This happened twice, on Cal's Delphox and on a Meteor Grunt's Skuntank. In both cases the AI had at least one other mon to switch to. I have no problems with switching out, but the AI...yeah.

I don't know if it's right to ask this here, sorry if it's not, but is the team submission for the thingy battle thingy gauntlet thingy you're working on still open? Thank you!

I say as long as you submit it before January 7th you're fine (this contest has a very, very long deadline mostly because I'm in no rush for it). So yes, yes it is.

Hm, I don't know if this fits here or the regular Reborn bug thread, but I've been seeing some AI issues regarding switching out mons due to Perish Song:

Message: undefined method `hasWorkingAbility' for #<PokeBattle_Pokemon:0xa4c3600>

Message: undefined method `hasWorkingAbility' for #<PokeBattle_Pokemon:0xa021878>

Message: undefined method `hasWorkingAbility' for #<PokeBattle_Pokemon:0x9f38e20>

PokeBattle_AI:2717:in `pbTypeModifier2'

Basically, when the AI's Pokemon's Perish count is down to 1, this error pops up and the AI ends up essentially skipping a turn before fainting due to the Perish Song. This happened twice, on Cal's Delphox and on a Meteor Grunt's Skuntank. In both cases the AI had at least one other mon to switch to. I have no problems with switching out, but the AI...yeah.

*Glares* Yeah...I'm either guessing that this was a community error or some script I messed up when tinkering around. I'll look into it in E16 since that is hopefully around the corner sooner or later, but what happens is that the AI wants to switch out but the script was written wrong causing a crash.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So first off there is a glitch with 1.51 called commander is an idiot and forgot to change the CoM champ fight back to what it is supposed to be. Pretty much the equivalence of Solaris having a Igglybuff situation, but it is correct in 1.5. If it becomes a major issue I might make either a reupload of patch but it's a little tricky since my hard drive crash so...please be patient for any errors as I can't really start fixing them until E16's community release and/or official one.

Now for other news: Gen VII. Ho boy Gen VII is a little bit...tricky and I'm not sure what Ame is going to do about a certain character losing a huge gimmick he used for the league. I considered putting it in earlier than Reborn once sprites and/or scripts were done, but I'm hesitating a bit. The older Pokemon stat buffs I'm perfectly okay with and might do them for Episode 17. A lot of the nerfs cripple leaders and bosses pretty badly so things would need to be redesigned.

• 2 weeks later...

(Takes a deep breath)

Okay so here's what's going on, Hardcore E16 for basic content wise is basically done. All I need to do is download the community release, spend about 30 minutes making a few changes to fix the whole save file problem, then uploading the game to play. That's literally it. That's probably going to happen on Wednesday though because my semester ends this weeks plus final exams the following week. That's basically when I'm going to be reviewing not critical stuff so it won't be a biggie.

Now for the trading question as I know like all of you are wondering how that's going to work. Hardcore and the CoM version work perfectly fine. So pretty much anything that doesn't have Shadow Ball from the TM will be tradeable. As for the Party System, you can battle with them, but you won't be able to trade. Just remember that the same restrictions for Random battles applies to other party members so something like Fern's Scizor would cause a flag.

Now for the CoM version, I have no idea when it will release. Probably sometime in late January or February when I have more time. Anyways, I'm off now, but I'll hopefully have more free time over winter break.

• Global Mods

Well, super happy for my friend who switched over to regular hardcore around Serra that he'll be able to have all of E16's cool features for the rest of his playthrough. (he got stuck on Charlotte and so reverted just before the checkpoint for EV resetting berries and stuff.) Myself on the other hand, slightly crushed after devouring E16s content on my normal playthrough in a single night (that was a wild ride) and looking forward to starting a new run on Chamber of Memories. however I understand that good things take time and I'll try to hold firm.

Okay so I may add a post in sometime later today with the link but it's really going to grind down to how long I can keep myself from crashing. I was going to put a poll up but uhh...I can't figure out what's going on there so we're just going to make this a questionnaire...unfortunately until I can get that all sorted out. I'll make it brief:

Even though it's partially broken, would you like me to keep the Randomizer in the E16 version of Hardcore (gift Pokemon aren't randomized)?

In order to keep the game progressively getting difficult, how much do you think I should be allowed to bend the rules (ie item ban, set mode, modify leader mons stats a little bit)?

Should non PC party members (ie Fern) for the party system be given boosted experience to make them easier to train?

On 12/6/2016 at 2:38 AM, DreamblitzX said:

Well, super happy for my friend who switched over to regular hardcore around Serra that he'll be able to have all of E16's cool features for the rest of his playthrough. (he got stuck on Charlotte and so reverted just before the checkpoint for EV resetting berries and stuff.) Myself on the other hand, slightly crushed after devouring E16s content on my normal playthrough in a single night (that was a wild ride) and looking forward to starting a new run on Chamber of Memories. however I understand that good things take time and I'll try to hold firm.

(What if I told you all the maps for CoM are a scrambled mess right now trying to transfer them around. Still there but not in a nice order). The bulk of the content is going to be spread across the game this time, but I got past some of the really, really big hurdles such as one single scene that took 7 hours to make. You will know what scene that is when you see it and I still need to edit the text.

-------------------------------------------

Before I get to bed I'm gonna post this here (and eventually include the stuff in the spoiler in the OP but sleep first). Here's kind of everything you want to know about Hardcore E16 version:

-The mod only includes the basic Reborn content only changing the fights

-Though a certain cameo character is kept from the CoM version.

-The Exp and Lucky Egg are found in their old location (this will change for the CoM version)

-All music is replaced with the better quality version of it

-The original battle themes (ie Meteor Admin, Old Gym leader theme, etc) have all been included, though not used, in the game so if you wish to use those themes instead, just simply rename the files in the Audio-BGM section

-TM Breeding has also been included

-All Versions are safe to use and compatible with this Mod (including old CoM Versions).

-This version runs on Reborn's save file folder so use that folder for swapping save files

Another note I want to make is that this hasn't really been thoroughly tested other than the E16 fights. Consider this to be an initial release so if there are any issues, feel free to report them and I'll reupload this version if there are any critical errors (which would really surprise me).

Oh! I just want to reconfirm this. If you use an old CoM file, do not worry as E16 pretty much overrides any errors that would've occurred once you leave Big Top. So while I will be removing the Hardcore E15 version, the CoM version will stay up and you can enjoy all of that content before switching over. I'll include a little NPC in HQ to toggle features on or off for pre E16 files for the CoM version so don't worry too much. The only error that will occur is Relationship points being a little off (which is going to be that way regardless). And now for the links:

Links

Mega

Mediafire

On 12/7/2016 at 3:22 AM, Commander said:

1 Even though it's partially broken, would you like me to keep the Randomizer in the E16 version of Hardcore (gift Pokemon aren't randomized)?

2 In order to keep the game progressively getting difficult, how much do you think I should be allowed to bend the rules (ie item ban, set mode, modify leader mons stats a little bit)?

3 Should non PC party members (ie Fern) for the party system be given boosted experience to make them easier to train?

I'll give my opinion even though I have very limited knowledge on the project other than an inherent love for the idea of a more difficult pokemon experience all together.

1. I'm not a fan of randomization. Since we can just reset and roll the dice again it doesn't seem like a very fun thing for a game like this. I don't know exactly what you are referring to, but if you are saying some pokemon you receive outside battles are random, I vote no. I'm always voting in favor of the less RNG the better though. 

2. I think you should bend the rules as much as possible in a way that makes sense. I'm not a fan of adding moves that don't exist in the game or something like that, but certainly giving them moves they might not normally have, or altering their stats and levels to increase the challenge is something I am TOTALLY in favor of. 
My favorite thing in pokemon fan games is overcoming the challenges the creators make. As long as its actually possible to beat, I'll happily come up with a way to do so - no matter how difficult. 

3. The party system that you briefly describe in the original post is frankly the main reason I am so excited about this project. 

If I read correctly, it is NOT featured in the e15 version right? I assume now, but if it is let me know. I would happily download the 15 to learn more about how that system works. 

I don't know much about it either way, so I'm not sure what to say on this topic. Leveling is something I usually dread as I'm some one who likes to use many many pokemon in the course of a game, so I suppose I would say if you are concerned that training their pokemon is difficult then you should address it for sure. 

I'd have to learn more about how the system works to understand exactly what this means though. 

Anyway, keep up the awesome work! I will totally be checking out the CoM version when its out. Its a very exciting idea to me as some one who absolutely loves a challenge in Pokemon.

(Gotta love the fact that I made a new thread for the purpose of being able to make polls yet when the site updated the polls become broken form me)

Okay so I've been doing finals but I took a break to work on some more of the spriting in this game. I decided the party system is going to work differently (I know a lot of people who have old save files are gonna love me for this) so that instead of them just popping into your party after certain events, they'll be found somewhere in the world after certain events (my only hint is that you have to have partnered and battled them once). Just think of it like a Corey event mons extravaganza.

As for recruiting, I'm going to turn it into a community project (yes it will technically spoil who you can use but you already know who pretty much anyways) where I'll list the overworld sprites that need to be done. Nobody gets Shelly though. She's all mine. Basically if you want to do a sprite, you'd PM (or here is fine as well) me and I'd put it in the excel sheet what you signed up for. If these all get done before the E16 CoM release, I'll re-open up the custom trainer thread for a brief two week period. Basically you put in an app for a trainer and they will fightable in the game. And that would not be exclusive to people who made sprites (but they'd have priority).

So just a quick update before I go to bed: I posted an update status feed. I'll try to put something there daily to give insight what I'm working on. As for a progress bar...it's complicated. I have a plentiful amount of work, however, I can't measure what I don't know what will get done before the release. Anyways, transferring is going to be a big behemoth to do, but once that's done, that's one monolith out of the way (though there are 2 others of equal size to get done). I'll also give any big news in a post as well as answer questions and such.

This is kind of small news but pretty significant: If a Pokemon hits the level limiter cap, they will still gain the respective EVs now. I had a little help from @sardines here so thanks for that. There's a lot more that can be adjusted towards it before I make a free use version of it for people to use (still gotta fix that exp problem), but you probably don't want to deal with my messy coding (which was made for easy transfers ^_^).

There's not much else I can reveal which I haven't already though I can tell you what to expect of this episode and to not be surprised when Episode 17 is...lacking. This episode was meant to be very content heavy which actually included everything in the CoM download. You guys just got that section early. Since I shaved off that bulk, I added the party system just to show what you could do with a fan-game so it's more of a showcasing and side thing. You're going to have a lot of options and content to explore as every leader bar Corey, Samson, and Kiki will have an alternate fight. Insanity Mode has been nerfed to be 1.1 times the opponent level, but...you will end up being very poor as no trainers give out money. No Item Run is still a thing. And trying to find every bloody secret Pokemon for all the party members will have you searching around for quite a bit (they aren't hard, but they ain't easy to find either).

I know this has been in the works for a long while, but I can't promise a time when it will be done yet (as beta testing is certainly going to need to be a thing). While I can't really tease much about E17 (that one will likely focus more on graphic overhauling and implementing), you will see a tease if you complete the post-E16 sidequest planned for it. If you thought searching for Corey's mons was a lot of walking....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/16 Edit:

Well, I'm chugging along updating the old stuff, but I'd say I got all the important stuff done along with all the 1.51 content done. I'm currently going to go through episode by episode adding all the old and the new stuff in going through the storyline.

21 hours ago, DemICE said:

Sorry i guess i have not understood,  the normal mod for E16 is done,  and now ur working on CoM ?   Or there is some stuff left for the regular hardcore version too ?

Hardcore (E16 version) is done and was done during the Beta Period. I just uploaded it just for the sake of having something for people to play while I work on the version people really, really like. And yes, I'm working on CoM as we speak. If it gets to a certain point, I'll release a version of it with the level limiter though.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Now for me to respond to the annoucement Reborn is going for Gen VII early. I'll summarize how I feel about that the same way I felt about when online was announced: I can't say I'm ready for it, but even with all my frustration, I'm really happy it's a thing. It just means I need to test and make sure everything works properly which adds towards development time. I'm not sure I'll make a release before the Gen VII version is done, but if it's like 50% and we're done with alpha and beta testing, I may do a release. This is going to add a lot towards development time and here's why:

There are two forms of implementation: there's the kind where you just add all the required data and just sprinkle them in just for variety and then there's taking all of the data and going through the game individually to make sure they fit well and are well used in the battles as well as availability.

You can probably guess which one I'm doing. I can't promise every Gen VII Pokemon will be used, but I'll try to give out a variety of Pokemon to make things a little more interesting and feel like Gen VII is a part of Reborn and Reborn Hardcore. I did have a planned event for Type: Null for example. This is going to take quite a bit of time as I will have to go through the game again to get a better feel for leader difficulty with a new, Gen VII styled team. I hope you guys understand if this takes me a lot longer to get released, but trust me, I'm almost positive it will be way more than worth the wait.

Edit: I could have sworn it said 16.5, but whelp I guess we're back to a semi normal schedule. Just apply what I said to Episode XVII which was the plan anyways but the Reborn team saved me a lot of work.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Oh one other thing, the Hardcore-create-a-team contest will end December 31st. So you have until the end of the year to submit an application/edit it. Since we don't know when I'll be done, this is a good date for me to pick, announce the winners, and then get to work on their prizes.

(Also sorry I can't showcase any screenshots, but everything I'm working on is basically spoilerville)

@DemICE I do not know why the poison error even happens as I can never replicate it after 4 tests. Also for that second pic, I already see ame hasn't fixed those sprites so I'll replace them with my custom ones to fix them in the CoM version though I will upload the pack for download tonight if anyone is bothered by them.

So happy new years guys. I don't have much to showcase, but I might show off a few things just to buy the time as I'm happy to announce I'll be going through the first of the three alpha tests. This one pretty much goes from the start of the game up until Kiki to see everything I screwed up on. And trust me, I'm sure there are plenty of those given how I do stuff and that it's 4 in the morning now. Now before anyone asks, let me tell you the difference between alpha and beta testers:

Alpha testers are basically people I personally picked. If I need any additional alpha testers, I'll go and ask them so please do not ask to be one. Once all of the alpha sections are checked, I then will have the mod go into the Beta phase in which I'll let anyone join a closed beta (you have to PM me though) to test and change stuff before opening it up to an open beta (which a link will appear in the OP). Once I feel the game is safe, I'll make one final release fixing everything and no more releases will follow. The reason I'm being so thorough on this testing is because there are so many little things that can go wrong.