Pokemon Reborn Hardcore [Mod][Discontinued]

Commander

• Global Mods

OIs the lucky egg still available early like the exp share? I've Just beat Julia (both regular and alternate) and I'm interested to try out this party system, but I feel like It's gonna require a lot of exp to keep them trained up too, and I feel they'll be difficult to "catch up" because you can't swap train them with something strong because they cant use one of your strong things. also is the EXP share intended to still give half exp when your lead pokemon is at the level cap and so is gaining no exp?

Julia didn't feel too difficult, but I did feel kinda overprepared (5 pokemon at level cap) and my team was still very beat up afterwards.

Found something that may or may not be a bug. It seemed implied that party members couldnt get new pokemon any of the normal ways, but the egg is obsidia slums was takeable as fern. Haven't tested other things like overworld event pokemon, npc gifts or daycare eggs.

Edited by DreamblitzX

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The lucky egg is available before Julia, but it is not easy to find. As for the party system, I did place in a few pieces of code to try and restrict it, but in reality, all of that blockage can be bypassed. The daycare is the biggest one I care about, but in future episodes, I may invest more time improving it.

• Global Mods

So I'm about to enter the wasteland (Really enjoying the fights so far, and the subtle HCHQ story tidbits, though I worry about missing some) and nothing has happened with the Party System since Ferns team update in Gym 2. So is there a large period of inactivity, are the new members/pokemon for members super well hidden, or am I just blind?

Also are the TM Shop and TM breeding still things? It's hard to know with the feature list still being for the old version. if the TM shop is hidden, could I have a small hint?

Edited by DreamblitzX

• Developers

Found a bug. Under the grand staircase there is a room where you're supposed to break the Crystal Cavern fieldeffect to get the fieldnotes (screenshot below). In the current version of Reborn Hardcore this is broken because when you enter a battle it doesn't have any field effect so no crystals to break. If I transfer my savefile to regular Reborn and try it there it works fine so this bug is Hardcore-specific.

The question is, can I safely transfer my savefile to regular Reborn, get the fieldeffect notes, save and transfer back to Hardcore? Or can such action remove some Hardcore variables or something from my savefile?

HtGAkGe.png

Also I've feedback to the battles I went through in the meantime in Beryl and Jasper.

Firstly Taka in Beryl is extremely difficult. Especially his Gligar with Acrobatics this early in the game is insane. It is damn fast, can defeat anything with one or two hits and is weak only to Water and Ice both of which are very rare at this point. And aside from Gligar he has very nasty Chatot, very defensive Klefki and a PULSE on top of that. I was stuck there for a long time and eventually had to train a Pelipper just to get past the Gligar without sacrificing most of my team. Pelipper, maybe some water-type starters and Seel which you don't always get are I think the only available pokes which can counter that Gligar. It felt much more difficult than Julia, Florinia or Corey. Despite the fact that I like a good challenge this was honestly a bit too much - or rather I don't think you can maintain such difficulity throughout the whole game. So yeah, Taka should be nerfed a bit in my opinion. The second reason is that Taka's pokemon actually have higher levels in Jasper than they do later in Beryl for the double battle against Taka + ZEL (a bug in my opinion). Why would he use common candies?? The battle in Beryl was surprisingly much easier even though Taka and ZEL combined are using 9 pokemon (one of which is agains PULSE). The reason is that in Beryl you're on higher level and as I said earlier Taka is weaker here. Plus his Gligar even though it's still a threat it can't kill two pokemon at the same time so it is more managable. If you nerf his mons in Jasper to the same level they have later in Beryl it might be enough to solve this.

Corey

Battle-style: Set

Challenge: No-Items

Team: Corrosive Mist

Result: Won on third try or so.

Notes:

• Corey was really good. I was planning to use Flame Burst right away to get rid of the field. Well Corey started with Quilfish followed by Nidoqueen both of which could OHKO my fire-type before it could use Flame Burst. Here I learned the hard way that normal field-destroying strategies don't really work in Hardcore - which is a really good thing.

Issues:

• At one point I had Munsharna out against his Nidoqueen. Munsharna was badly hurt and of course much slower than Nidoqueen. There was no point in saving it so I just left it there to faint. Well instead of finishing Munsharna Corey switched out the Nidoqueen allowing Munsharna to use Future Sight which later almost one shot his Scolipede. His switch didn't make any sense and pretty much lost the battle for Corey - clearly an AI issue.
  • Second AI messup happened when I had Sudowoodo out against his ace Crobat. First Crobat used Nasty Plot. A bit odd since he needed to get rid of Sudowoodo ASAP. On the next round it used Hidden Power - "not very effective..." at which point Sudowoodo easily finished it. What type of Hidden Power is he using? And why would the AI use a non-stab weak attack? From weak effectivity to Sudowoodo it has to be Normal, Fire, Poison or Flying - well Crobat has far better options for both Poison and Flying, there is no need to use Normal and Fire would only cover his Ice weakness - it would be better to use Fighting or Steel to cover Rock as well. This just didn't make any sense at all.
Edited by baldr

• Global Mods
38 minutes ago, baldr said:

Found a bug. Under the grand staircase there is a room where you're supposed to break the Crystal Cavern fieldeffect to get the fieldnotes (screenshot below). In the current version of Reborn Hardcore this is broken because when you enter a battle it doesn't have any field effect so no crystals to break. If I transfer my savefile to regular Reborn and try it there it works fine so this bug is Hardcore-specific.

The question is, can I safely transfer my savefile to regular Reborn, get the fieldeffect notes, save and transfer back to Hardcore? Or can such action remove some Hardcore variables or something from my savefile?

HtGAkGe.png

Also I've feedback to the battles I went through in the meantime in Beryl and Jasper.

Firstly Taka in Beryl is extremely difficult. Especially his Gligar with Acrobatics this early in the game is insane. It is damn fast, can defeat anything with one or two hits and is weak only to Water and Ice both of which are very rare at this point. And aside from Gligar he has very nasty Chatot, very defensive Klefki and a PULSE on top of that. I was stuck there for a long time and eventually had to train a Pelipper just to get past the Gligar without sacrificing most of my team. Pelipper, maybe some water-type starters and Seel which you don't always get are I think the only available pokes which can counter that Gligar. It felt much more difficult than Julia, Florinia or Corey. Despite the fact that I like a good challenge this was honestly a bit too much - or rather I don't think you can maintain such difficulity throughout the whole game. So yeah, Taka should be nerfed a bit in my opinion. The second reason is that Taka's pokemon actually have higher levels in Jasper than they do later in Beryl for the double battle against Taka + ZEL (a bug in my opinion). Why would he use common candies?? The battle in Beryl was surprisingly much easier even though Taka and ZEL combined are using 9 pokemon (one of which is agains PULSE). The reason is that in Beryl you're on higher level and as I said earlier Taka is weaker here. Plus his Gligar even though it's still a threat it can't kill two pokemon at the same time so it is more managable. If you nerf his mons in Jasper to the same level they have later in Beryl it might be enough to solve this.

Corey

Team: Corrosive Mist

Result: Won on third try or so.

Notes:

• Corey was really good. I was planning to use Flame Burst right away to get rid of the field. Well Corey started with Quilfish followed by Nidoqueen both of which could OHKO my fire-type before it could use Flame Burst. Here I learned the hard way that normal field-destroying strategies don't really work in Hardcore - which is a really good thing.

Issues:

• At one point I had Munsharna out against his Nidoqueen. Munsharna was badly hurt and of course much slower than Nidoqueen. There was no point in saving it so I just left it there to faint. Well instead of finishing Munsharna Corey switched out the Nidoqueen allowing Munsharna to use Future Sight which later almost one shot his Scolipede. His switch didn't make any sense so clearly an AI issue.
  • Second AI messup happened when I had Sudowoodo out against his ace Crobat. First Crobat used Nasty Plot. A bit odd since he needed to get rid of Sudowoodo ASAP. On the next round it used Hidden Power - "not very effective..." at which point Sudowoodo easily finished it. What type of Hidden Power is he using? And why would the AI use a non-stab weak attack? From weak effectivity to Sudowoodo it has to be Normal, Fire, Poison or Flying - well Crobat has far better options for both Poison and Flying, there is no need to use Normal and Fire would only cover his Ice weakness - it would be better to use Fighting or Steel to cover Rock as well. This just didn't make any sense at all.

Lol I reported that same bug yesterday when I discovered it. And yea taka is really quite difficult, though gligar was OK for me because I started with totodile.

One comment I have with Corey is that he needs to prioritize sending out stuntank against a psychic type. I led with Meowstic who got a competitive boost from quilfish's intimidate and proceeded to OHKO 4 of his pokemon before stuntank came out.

It's probably ok because sandile is mystery egg only at that point, but Krookadile walks all over Shade's Singles. doubles was a bit harder but still went ok and was completed on the first try. Shelly on the other hand was super tough but I eventually beat her doubles fight.

So I am aware of the whole field effect guide, however, I'm surprised people are really into getting all those field effect guides (for me personally, I'm not a fan of the idea), however, I'll try and fix that issue down the line. For the time being yes you can convert over to E16 and then back to CoM as they are designed on the same basic system almost to a T. However if you are having trouble remembering the field effects, I'd like to say that there is a text file with all the given information on it. This is literally the exact file I use to help design teams for the enemy.

As for the AI, it's the same issue we had with E15. If you do not construct Pokemon to function a specific way, they go haywire and make these dumb or foolish moves, especially defensive mons or wons with terrible offenses per say. This is going to be a constant issue throughout the ongoing game, however, reporting these is insightful even if they won't be fixed. If someone is interested in improving the AI, please be my guest (I'm probably never going to say no in giving a helping hand).

And with Crobat, it doesn't have anything to cover its rock weakness though there are only two rock types at this point in the game, both of which are considered weak and never used by a majority of people. The HP Fire actually was my method to countering the Forretrees/Klink exploit as you could literally defeat the Crobat using a steel type as Crobat has nothing against it.

As for Taka, the level thing really isn't that unbelievable, however I can understand the argument. It actually would make sense for his Pokemon to be a little bit weaker after a fight with the player. I may nerf him a little bit more. E15 & E16 are two entirely different beasts with different problems as the gligar wasn't as deadly in E15 for some odd reason. Mostly going to be changing Acrobatics to Aerial Ace or Fly.

• Developers
11 hours ago, Commander said:

As for the AI, it's the same issue we had with E15. If you do not construct Pokemon to function a specific way, they go haywire and make these dumb or foolish moves, especially defensive mons or wons with terrible offenses per say. This is going to be a constant issue throughout the ongoing game, however, reporting these is insightful even if they won't be fixed. If someone is interested in improving the AI, please be my guest (I'm probably never going to say no in giving a helping hand).

Well I would like to look into it but as I have zero experience with RPG Maker I have no idea where to even start and I assume it's difficult to debug this kind of thing - I need to first understand why the AI made certain decision before trying to improve it. Then I might get easily discouraged if the code is badly written and it would take a long time to fix anything. And I tend to cover my own code with tests which is probably impossible here although an AI algorithm would certainly need it.

And with Crobat, it doesn't have anything to cover its rock weakness though there are only two rock types at this point in the game, both of which are considered weak and never used by a majority of people. The HP Fire actually was my method to countering the Forretrees/Klink exploit as you could literally defeat the Crobat using a steel type as Crobat has nothing against it.

I see. Well it seems that by solving the issue with Steel you just created another one with Rock. If I'm right to assume that aside of Nasty Plot and Hidden Power (Fire) it has a Poison STAB and Flying STAB it means there is nothing to hit Rock with normal effectiveness (never mind supereffectiveness). If the STAB moves are both physical than I understand why the AI went for Hidden Power - Sudowoodo has good Def but bad Sp. Def. so physical STAB would not help at all. Anyway I understand it better now and I can't really see any good solution. Maybe Hidden Power Ground instead of Fire but then again it is only normally effective against Foretress. Looks like I accidently found the best counter-pokemon against the Crobat.

In any case great work with Corey's team!

So I am aware of the whole field effect guide, however, I'm surprised people are really into getting all those field effect guides (for me personally, I'm not a fan of the idea), however, I'll try and fix that issue down the line. For the time being yes you can convert over to E16 and then back to CoM as they are designed on the same basic system almost to a T. However if you are having trouble remembering the field effects, I'd like to say that there is a text file with all the given information on it. This is literally the exact file I use to help design teams for the enemy.

I know about the txt file - it is a must have for designing battles. However as a player I prefer to read the information in the game directly and only if I manage to get the field notes before the battle. I like that I have to make effort to get the information needed to better prepare for a Gym.

Edited by baldr

11 minutes ago, pokemastercj1 said:

So, dumb question, after downloading the mod (specifically the E16 beta CoM) how do I change the base game into the modded version? 

Once you unzip the file,  CoM has it's own launcher, completely separate from the base game on your system.

Edited by seki108

9 minutes ago, seki108 said:

Once you unzip the file,  CoM has it's own launcher, completely separate from the base game on your system.

Got it, I couldn't extract the files right after downloading on my computer so I just downloaded the winRAR trial. I'm all set thanks!

• Developers

@Commander Can you tell me how the weather system currently works in Hardcore? I know there was some discussion about old and new weather system but I don't know what that was all about and what is the result. The thing is that ever since I started playing Hardcore there was always nothing but clear weather - even though the TV said something about light rain every time I tried. How can I change the weather to something different? Shelly completely crushed me so I desperately need some new mons.

Edited by baldr

• Global Mods
7 hours ago, baldr said:

@Commander Can you tell me how the weather system currently works in Hardcore? I know there was some discussion about old and new weather system but I don't know what that was all about and what is the result. The thing is that ever since I started playing Hardcore there was always nothing but clear weather - even though the TV said something about light rain every time I tried. How can I change the weather to something different? Shelly completely crushed me so I desperately need some new mons.

Yea I was feeling like something was a bit off with the weather. However I have seen a couple weather based events like drifloon, so Im not sure if they were changed, or if the weather was technicallly there but not displaying. One that I couldnt get to show up was murkrow though.

• Developers
7 hours ago, DreamblitzX said:

Yea I was feeling like something was a bit off with the weather. However I have seen a couple weather based events like drifloon, so Im not sure if they were changed, or if the weather was technicallly there but not displaying. One that I couldnt get to show up was murkrow though.

Yeah something is definitely off with the weather. I can now see Drifloon as well (although it wasn't there before). Is it still clear weather, not windy. The weather isn't active in battle either. If I load the same save file in regular Reborn the Drifloon is gone.

Also I'm not quite sure what are the requirements for Emolga - in this playthrough she was sleeping there right when I got into Jasper. That never hapenned to me before, sometimes it was gone and sometimes it was jumping on the roofs but never sleeping on my first visit.

• Developers

Double posting is intentional in this case as the second post is completely unrelated and it has been a few days.

I have feedback about the fourth Gym battle.

Shelly

Team: Doubles, without rain

Result: First I thought she was too strong, I forfeited like dozen times. But when I finally beat her she felt like a pushover. Missing permarain doesn't make much difference as her prankster Illumise fixes that right away. The rain boosts Masquerians and Armaldos Water attacks and Swift Swim Armaldo with Rock Slide is insane. She has her weaknesses covered really well and her team is very fast. However the battle felt way too random - my Luxray never managed to cause paralysis with Spark (30% chance), Illumise kept using Confuse Ray which I hate so I mitigated it with Persim Berries (there are no good items to hold anyway), in one case I lowered Armaldos attack by 3 stages to mitigate his Rock Slide - he scored two critical hits and flinched my Sudowoodo twice so it could not Counter. On the other hand her team was easily crushed after I gave Electric Gem to my Luxray to OHKO Masquerain. Pelipper and Donphan took down Armaldo and the rest of her team was easily defeated by Sudowoodos Rock Slide. In the final battle only used 4 pokemon out of which only one fainted.

Issues:

• It was too easy with Sudowoodo. I'm almost certain that Heather or someone else knew Giga Drain but failed to use it.

Gonna keep this one short: yeah weather seems to be brokey broke so it's beyond fixing. The reason the tv reads wrong is because I didn't bother changing it from the new system back to the old (since I thought nobody watched the TV...since I never did). Probably not going to do that as it requires moving a few things down and possibly causing a crash.

As for the official release, I'll announce a cutoff date for reporting errors and all that is reported before then will be fixed, but anything after is tbd. Gonna grind down to when I get all this stuff done when I can work on it.

• Global Mods
On 19/04/2017 at 10:16 PM, baldr said:

Double posting is intentional in this case as the second post is completely unrelated and it has been a few days.

I have feedback about the fourth Gym battle.

Shelly

Team: Doubles, without rain

Result: First I thought she was too strong, I forfeited like dozen times. But when I finally beat her she felt like a pushover. Missing permarain doesn't make much difference as her prankster Illumise fixes that right away. The rain boosts Masquerians and Armaldos Water attacks and Swift Swim Armaldo with Rock Slide is insane. She has her weaknesses covered really well and her team is very fast. However the battle felt way too random - my Luxray never managed to cause paralysis with Spark (30% chance), Illumise kept using Confuse Ray which I hate so I mitigated it with Persim Berries (there are no good items to hold anyway), in one case I lowered Armaldos attack by 3 stages to mitigate his Rock Slide - he scored two critical hits and flinched my Sudowoodo twice so it could not Counter. On the other hand her team was easily crushed after I gave Electric Gem to my Luxray to OHKO Masquerain. Pelipper and Donphan took down Armaldo and the rest of her team was easily defeated by Sudowoodos Rock Slide. In the final battle only used 4 pokemon out of which only one fainted.

Issues:

• It was too easy with Sudowoodo. I'm almost certain that Heather or someone else knew Giga Drain but failed to use it.

I agree with much of this, I just beat serra, and shelly has been the hardest so far (including alternate aya and serra). Especially the randomness of confuse ray and swift swim armaldo. I dont think I trained up specific counters, but my team was decently matched and I have a feeling I may have lost if Armaldo had used rock slide instead of bulldoze (though this was baited, not an AI anomaly from memory)

gyms leaders are pretty hard to beat on hardcore , sometime i have feeling that my pokemons are so weak compare to theirs cause they got one shooted so often ( and i actually play with randomizer ) , for example i have a garchomp and when i compare him to solaris garchomp , i think IV are so balanced because mine look so useless :D

anyway it's a funny mod on an (already) hardcore game ! now we need the same with rejuvenation and desolation ! :)

• Developers
19 hours ago, Commander said:

Gonna keep this one short: yeah weather seems to be brokey broke so it's beyond fixing. The reason the tv reads wrong is because I didn't bother changing it from the new system back to the old (since I thought nobody watched the TV...since I never did). Probably not going to do that as it requires moving a few things down and possibly causing a crash.

Beyond fixing? What do you mean by that? Will it never be fixed? Or it will be fixed later like when E17 comes out? Is it possible to enable the new weather system? I don't know if it's worse than the old one or not but even if it is worse it surely is much better than no weather at all, right?

Edited by baldr

• 3 weeks later...

Hello there! Currently early into Reborn CoM and I am liking the updated teams. I've turned on item ban and randomiser and the new teams are fun and challenging even with pokemon you wouldn't be able to get usually.

However, I am rather stuck on trying to get to Florina's gym, with a police officer directing me to Reborn HQ. However, when I got there, the office dude told me to go away. Is there something I am missing? Am I supposed to try and find Fern for my party before moving on?

Cheers for putting effort into making this mod for the community!

• Global Mods
4 hours ago, PigeonOfAstora said:

Hello there! Currently early into Reborn CoM and I am liking the updated teams. I've turned on item ban and randomiser and the new teams are fun and challenging even with pokemon you wouldn't be able to get usually.

However, I am rather stuck on trying to get to Florina's gym, with a police officer directing me to Reborn HQ. However, when I got there, the office dude told me to go away. Is there something I am missing? Am I supposed to try and find Fern for my party before moving on?

Cheers for putting effort into making this mod for the community!

I think you need to download and apply the pre-florina hchq patch from in the OP. It's a bug.

• 3 weeks later...

So sorry for the lack of updates, but I should be getting back to hardcore on Monday if all hell doesn't break loose before then. But yeah this week is going to be fixing stuff before getting into the E17 stuff.

So I won't beat around the Bush when HC E17 is going to take a long time, but hopefully not as bad as this episode because this one was burnout hell. Thankfully I should be able to hop back in and start editing the dialogue to look better thanks to my new work schedule. Most of the critical errors have been fixed already, but only one I can't fix is weather. 

With the new gen battle quality is still the top priority and yes, I spend hours on each gym fight. Hours. Alternate battles were well received and way, way more well received than I anticipated. It is like the thing I spend the least time on are people's favorite things.

Anyways I'm going to try and invest time into the party system for a couple little things with one of them being the ability to make them your partners on the field. Partnering up will be a thing, but I don't know how deep I'm going to make it since I'd need to remove them for story segments and gym battles. I know how to approach this, but if someone is interested in making this, please help. I got a boatload of things on my plate as is.

There are a few other things regarding this system, but it is mostly just to do during down times for the game instead of poked ex grinding. If I get any of it done I'll showcase it. Altered Path is going to get done before E17 is released, but I will hold off on releasing it until that episode. Unless of course Ame somehow clones herself and gets the episode released in the next two months.

I already said I was not going to add too much to E17, but it is going to be a mess since new gen causes new Balance issues. Gen VII really won't change fights drastically though as z moves are mostly just going to be for item variety and mons are going to mostly the same. Variety is the key word as bosses all using the same mon does get stale.

Oh I almost forgot something. You see, I tend to put stuff in as experiments in Hardcore to see how desperate players are. This time it was Project Lucky Egg. Since the Johnathan jumps care was moved back, I changed how the items were obtained and while the exp share is easy to find, I made the lucky egg very, very well hidden.  I predicted that exp would be an issue so players would be sharing to other players where the obscure location was. Thankfully, it seems episode 1 is a lot more balanced so it isn't needed as much. I may push the egg back to post Florinia or I may keep it there.

Now what to do in E17. This'll be fun given I got a literal giant sandbox to play with and some desperate players to toy with.