Fire Emblem On The Forums: Ashes (IC)

Pyon Pyon Kyuu!~

28b030e8f36a40dc99098de1e629b746.png

"Alright then, make sure you're at least holding on to Morgan. You can grab onto me if you feel like you're about to fall, though Morgan is more likely going to shift to accommodate. Cynthia will be flying with us, so she'll be there for support also. With that said..." Ecquis states before tapping Morgan lightly. With that, Morgan's wings start to flap and she, along with her two riders, and Cynthia head up into the air.

"Time for a little flight," Ecquis remarks as they leave the ground.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

09fc10ebb1194d0eafb70915a3afd064.png

It's Luka! It's just one more syllable! Luka held back a sigh, trying to act nice for the Monk. Luka looked at the bright smile on his face, almost feeling his own smile growing a bit more genuine as they spoke. Luka almost felt jealous of the Klaren's cheerful grin, when his wasn't exactly real. "Journal, huh? Must be some pretty secretive stuff." You've got me curious to know what's in that darn thing. "Want to walk back together, by the way? We're probably going to need to get moving soon." Not like anyone else is gonna walk with you.

Even if Luka had sighed, Klaren probably wouldn't have had noticed. This way, though, however, made it feel like they were smile buddies, hehe. And the smile on his face only grew wider when Luka mentioned walking together.

klarenfin_by_ninjacyndaquil-dadvdof.png

"Mhm, I'd love if we could walk back together, Lou. Oh, and it's not really secretive~ Like, I recorded the prison we saw and I recorded the wyverns right now. I've only ever seen them from afar or in the books in my father's library. This was very very exciting. You can read it if you'd like~" The monk appeared rather laid back about this journal of his and he'd actually give it to Luka if he wanted. It was just that, if Luka did take it, he'd come across some very unusual and precise notes inside next to all of the entries which kind of did border on his initial assumption on the book being Klaren's personal fantasies. Heh. "I've been keeping journals since I was a little boy." Klaren continued joyfully. "It always helped me pass the time when I found myself alone~"

Rosalvya immediately ceased to tend to her blade, as she heard footsteps approach. Curious as to who it was, she remained completely silent behind the tree, as if she were just a leaf on the wind. The person sat themselves on the opposite side of the tree, and Rosalvya heard the sound of a bowstring being strained. Among their group, that had to be Hoshiko. Rosalvya spent a few more moments in silence, listening to the calming sound of Hoshiko tending to her weapon. Out of curiosity, she decided to break the silence, and ask Hoshiko a question.

"Say, Hoshiko," Rosalvya said softly. "When you pray to the Goddess, is there anything you're praying for in particular?"

09fc10ebb1194d0eafb70915a3afd064.png

"Alone, huh?" That must hurt... Luka shook his head, trying to get all of the memories out of his mind. "Don't worry about being lonely." You sure know how to hit some soft spots. "You got some allies around. I bet they're certainly some good company." Luka's smile felt a bit more genuine as he spoke. Talking to the boy made him feel a bit more cheerful, as if Klaren's smile was affecting him. "Just don't die on us any time soon. You'll be a bit less lonely alive than dead."

ZL7mt8W.pngHoshiko jumped slightly in startlement; she hadn't seen Rosalvya go over here, though fortunately the other woman didn't get a knife pulled on her this time. "O-Oh, I wasn't aware anyone was back here." She frowned. "Why do you ask? No one except for Terrin seems to put any stock in what I have to say about the Goddess, so surely you wouldn't care about what she had to say to me, or I to her." The archer didn't seem overly hostile, though, if rather more guarded than she really had to be.

LTkkCgB.png

Aaaaaaand almost immediately, she was clinging to him, a startled yelp filling the air as they suddenly take off... She had expected the change to be jarring, but... nothing like this. Her face flushed red almost instantly, but she daren't release her grip, not now. "Oh god...if Mother Rosalynd had ever seen me doing something like this, she would've killed me in a heart beat..."

That was a moot point however... the old nun was literally countless miles away and hadn't spoken a word to her in years- which she damn well liked. She didn't even know if the mean bitch was still alive or if she'd passed on by now... she'd certainly seemed ancient enough to be good friends with the reaper even then. Regardless, as they got higher and started the even out a bit... well, it wasn't so terrible as she fought. A bit dizzying, looking straight down at the ground, and knowing at any moment she could be a bloody mess somewhere down there, but so long as she kept her eyes fixed a little ways ahead, it seemed manageable enough...even a bit fun. The wind billowing through her hair as he hood flew back of it's own accord, cobalt blue locks flowing in the gale. Just as much as the threat of death loomed, so too did the rush of utter and total freedom, open sky and wispful clouds, unbound by the troubles of those below.

Soon enough she was even laughing with joy, clinging there onto Eqcuis. This was nowhere near as terrifying as she'd thought...She didn't know what had made her so nervous before.

"You seem to always be so brave going into the battlefield. I had always figured that it was your strong faith in that the Goddess would protect you from harm, that let you go forward without fear," Rosalvya said wistfully, as she continued to sharpen her sword. "Unlike you, I don't have anything to believe in, other than my skill with my blade to keep me safe. I'm a little envious of you because of that. I was just curious as to whether you prayed for something like safety in battle, or that your arrows will strike true."

ZL7mt8W.png The archer nods. "Truly, being a chosen hero does ease one's mind on the battlefield. I stand proud before the faces of injustice and tyranny because I know the Goddess will keep me from harm. Since I am a tool of Her will, I don't pray for safety; I know that she will see to it that I am not broken. However, I do pray. . ." She trailed off for a moment, considering her next words. "I pray that her protection be extended to my comrades in justice - though if I could I would do this alone. And. . . I pray that I can fulfill this task without taking innocent lives." She looked down. "It's easy to see the Dragao soldiers as nothing but obstacles to be swept aside or tread over, but some of them are just people pressed into service, or people trying to guard their families from evil. I . . have never really had the stomach for killing, even if the Goddess wills death. I can't bear to do it up close. Father was always stronger than me in that regard. I hate injustice more, though, so I will not put down this bow until such time as there is no one else that needs to die so that others may live their lives free."

Rosalvya closed her eyes in thought. She had originally thought Hoshiko was someone who was rash and headstrong, selfishly proclaiming oneself to be a hero to earn glory for their own purposes. But that was not remotely the case. She was just a girl like her, wishing for the war to end. Among those in her group, Rosalvya felt that Hoshiko was the only one who was humane enough to consider the lives of her enemies on the battlefield. Many would scoff at that notion, but Rosalvya respected her ideals.

"I think that is very noble of you, Hoshiko. I may not believe in the Goddess, but that does not mean I shun her either," said Rosalvya. "When I was younger, I always feared being on the battlefield. It was kill or be killed, and the very thought of death terrified me. That fact hasn't changed, ever since I left my village. I practice the sword every day, so that I won't have to lose anyone dear to me ever again." Rosalvya carefully sheathed her sword, realizing she had trailed on for too long. She resting the scabbard across her lap, looking at it in sadness. "Regardless, thank you, Hoshiko. Talking with you has given me a little more courage to fight."

Hoshiko nods again. "A noble reason to wield a blade, for sure. Thank you for your kind words." She paused for a moment. "You know, you don't need to be a chosen one to ask the Goddess for a hand now and then. I'm sure that she wouldn't mind helping out someone that was already working toward her goals." A part of her still wanted to be left alone - a hero must stand apart from other people - but at the same time, she was glad someone had actually given her the time to speak her thoughts. Not to mention, said thoughts were about the Goddess; an individual she would be glad to speak about at length.

klarenfin_by_ninjacyndaquil-dadvdof.png

"Mhm~ Everybody here is great, I love them all already." Klaren placed his hands together as he chirped and they walked. He put away the journal now, somewhere into the depths of his robe. "Like you, miss Merryberry, oh, and miss Maya too. I don't have to read all the time to pass the time, there's always something happening~ And that's good 'cause I can't really carry around a lot of books with me on the battlefield. Usually just my tome and my journal~ So yep, I don't really intend on dying. Don't worry. Klaren finished with a short laugh. Talking to Luka was kind of fun~ He'd mever have guessed it would be~

Edited by Bfroger6

"To be frank, I have no reason to ask the Goddess for any favors," Rosalvya said, with a tinge of sadness in her voice. Her voice trembled ever so slightly, as she tried to maintain a calm tone. "Before I left my village I-" She paused, and then shook her head. It was a moot point, and Rosalvya didn't know why she clung to the past so fervently. "You know what, nevermind. That's a story for another time. Should the opportunity present itself, I'd like to chat with you again, Hoshiko. M-Maybe you could recite a prayer for me to listen to."

Rosalvya got up from her seat, and gave a faint smile to Hoshiko, before joining the others. It had appeared she had missed quite the ruckus while she sought a little solitude for herself. Unknown to her, Rosalvya's faint smile persisted as she made her way back.

Edited by Stalkerkain

Year 1020, 24th of Last Bloom

The next few days were a bit chaotic. After introducing the three strangers to Samwell he called an emergency meeting, assembling all members of the Misguided Children. Many were at sea, and it took a while until finally everyone was able to assemble in a clearing large enough for all members of the Misguided Children. A small wooden platform had been erected for the occasion, and on it stood Samwell and Saffron. The crowd that gathered were chattering to themselves until Samwell let out a big loud;

f75tVOA.png

"AHOY!!" The crowd turned to look at him, suddenly quiet and ready to listen. "How are the children doing? Have you been behaving well?" A man in the crowd yelled out a 'Hell no' and the crowd laughed. "That's what I like to hear! Friends, we are here today because it's time for change. This little girly beside me has a few words for you. I've listened to her side, and I believe she's the best shot for us Children. But I've never forced you to do anything now have I? So girly, convince these men to follow you." He slapped Saffron's back with a hearty laugh. Maybe a bit too hard as Saffron stumbled forward almost falling over.

4sthBfv.png

She took a few moments to compose herself before starting to speak. "Ahem. My name is Saffron Dragao, daughter of the last King Brandon the Third and Queen Eliza Dragao. In two months I will turn 18; meaning I can inherit the throne from my uncle. King Roswell is a-"

Someone from the crowd interrupted Saffron with a loud yell. "How do we know you're the real deal!?"

Saffron seemed to be ready for the question. She motioned for Feri, who climbed on to the stage and handed her a spear. Bringing the spear forward, the crowd saw the spear's markings along it and the symbol of Dragao; a red dragon decorated onto the blade. "This Nephele, the same spear used by the Dragon King when he founded our Kingdom. It's been passed down through generations for over a thousand years. I escaped the Palace with it."

She allowed the crowd the time to admire it. When she was sure that they were satisfied she continued. "You might think me some spoiled brat who's never been outside a castle. Before my escape from the capital a few months ago I had never slept on the cold forrest ground. I never knew how hard it was to live without the comforts of servants and cooks. But worse of all I never realized how much the people suffered outside of the Palace." Her grip on the spear tightened. "So I can promise you; what I ask of you isn't to fight for me. I do not care for the throne because it's my birthright. I care for the throne so that I can keep my family and friends safe. And I won't ask you for that either. I ask you to fight for yourselves; to take down the king who has started a worthless war and has killed so many of YOUR friends and family. I beg of you; FIGHT!"

The crowd let out cheers and "horaahs". Saffron smiled at the result and Samwell stepped forward again signaling for silence again. "When the time comes, the Misguided Children will help this girly retake the capital. Until then we will stay here and keep doing what we can! The girly here has asked for a few of our men to join her in her travels. I am pretty sure they know who they are." Samwell let out a hearty laugh, the crowd filled with chatter and started to disperse. The meeting drew to it's conclusion.

---

An hour or two after the meeting, the crowd was mostly gone as most people went back to their day jobs at the docks or taverns. Feri was sitting against a tree reading a tome. The unarmored Keagan stood behind the stage practicing axe blows with a wooden axe. A bit further away, Saffron was relaxing next to a riverbank. Dash seemed to be playing with a few of the other young members of the Misguided Children.

jN80Jl6.png

"That was quite the rousing speech. I don't think I've ever seen anyone else get the Children that riled up other than Samwell." Meredith laughed as she sat next to the girl, and looked over the riverbank. She stared at the murky waters. She always loved the water. It was one of her favourite things. The way it moved, it's many varied colours... everything about it spoke to her in ways that, not many others would see. She preferred the sea, of course she did... she was born and raised in a fisher's village after all. Maybe in one life she was meant to be a sailor. Not this one though. Fighting... that was what was important. Fighting so that little village could be free.

"Why choose us to accompany you? We're but strangers. You hardly know if my unit is even the best there is within the ranks of the Children. So why us?"

• Developers

0c611388f4a844dd9358eaf6fc40e759.png

Terrin glanced over at Saffron. He wanted an oppurtunity to get to know the Princess better, but as he began to walk over, he saw Meredith join her. While he also certainly had a want to get to know the soldier, he had no wish to disturb them, so instead adjusted his course to the tree Feri had taken refuge against.

"I don't believe we've had a chance to speak since when we first met. Care for the company of a fellow student of magic?" He asked the man politely, glancing at the tome he was reading.

Hoshiko was busy making a nearby tree feel the wrath of the chosen hero of the goddess herself; that is to say, she was practicing hitting a knot in it with her bow from increasingly long distances, or practicing hitting it from different firing positions, such as upside down in midair, or while diving sideways. Fortunately for the rest of the group, she was doing this facing away from them, and was a fairly good shot besides. Sweat shone on her brow, though she still wore her characteristic scarf, headband, and chestplate. The girl seemed to be almost inseparable from the getup.

v3Rqq2n.png

"Hello Meredith. Knowing that my speech made an impact puts my heart at ease, though I didn't say everything I meant to say." She gave a warm smile to the soldier. Saffron had her feet in the waters, her boots sitting next to her. Her armor also lay in a pile to the side, having no need for it now. "It doesn't matter if you're the best. You saved us, complete strangers. I'd feel safe with all of you by my side; the journey might be a dangerous one."

iK0BqPt.png

"I'd be delighted to indulge in the company of a fellow student!" Feri practically jumped from his spot. He placed a small tree leaf to mark his place in the book and closed it. He showed the cover to Terrin. "I am currently reading 'The Application of Magic in Warfare and Daily Life in Dragao's History Vol. 2' by Scholar Cason Nohr. It's a marvelous study on the development of magics through our kingdom. Why did you know that in the year 500, a team of wind mages managed to make a man fly with nothing but wax, pegasus feathers and 20 basic tomes? Truly marvelous to think what this knowledge could be used for some day."

• Developers

0c611388f4a844dd9358eaf6fc40e759.png

"Sounds like the sort of thing that might convince a young man to start learning wind magic. If I had've been told that 8 years ago maybe I would have pursued wind instead of thunder." He observed with a bit of smile. "Maybe it's just a Caelum thing, or maybe it was just my teacher, but when I learnt there wasn't particularly much focus on history of magic. Anyway, Thunder can't make people fly, it's mostly just for, y'know, zapping." He added with a bit of a laugh. Terrin pulled out his own tome, which was just a basic Thunder tome, and opened it up. Inside there were a fair number of messy annotations scribbled about, mostly about adjusting potency or accuracy or somesuch.

8AgQv2c.png

She couldn't help but manage a faint smile, as she watched the children play in the distance. It was something she often did, whenever she had the chance... between the din of the battlefield and her other duties as a Sister, it was like a bit of a respite, seeing them be able to enjoy themselves, free from the burdens of their situation, if only for a fleeting few moments. In a Just World, none of these boys or girls would have to work as spies or scouts or thieves for a rebel group just to have shelter or food... but the world was so far from just, few could be blamed for questioning if it could ever get there. Even still though, it was better they have a place here under the lead of Samwell, than out on the streets fighting and scavenging just to live another day... She knew the pain of starvation. Knew it all too well...good that none of them would have to feel it too... even if their lives were all just in a different type of danger now.

"Ahh...I remember when we were like that..." she sighed idly, staff leaned beside against the towering specimen of an oak. It was nice to be able to think about him without the guilt...for once...even if it was only when she was able to watch them. Which just made it all the more better in the end, she guessed. "so long ago... before anything mattered... it's nice, having your only worry in the world be what to play... I just hope fate is kind enough to let them enjoy these times a bit longer than it did us."

jN80Jl6.png

Meredith tossed off her boots as well. It had been a long while since she had felt water on her skin, it'd be nice. She always felt nostalgic when she did so. It took her right back to being a kid when she was sitting on the sure with her mentor. The Two of them bickered back and forth constantly, but... at the end of a long and arduous practice, the two would sit out on the banks of the lake their city gathered fish from. They'd jsut sit there, half the time not even saying a word. They'd enjoy the company of each other and the company of another soul that had a similar purpose in this world. Meredith felt the same now. Maybe it was just because this was the first time she had done it with another person sitting next to her in as long as she could remember, but... she definitely knew that wasn't the end of the feeling. She respected this woman highly. Regardless, she felt her cause personally. It was the same as her own.

"I see. Well, that's good enough an answer for a silly solider like me. I don't dare to think I'm the best... though my training came from it. I... well maybe you would." She looked down, shy. Nervous. It was the first time in a long time she broke that facade of being unbreakable.

"You know... I love the water. Streams, lakes... the ocean. They remind me of home. The feeling of water on my skin is nostalgic. It reminds me of the times in that little village when I was training to be... someone who could fight for those who could not. The Old Man... he told me I always knew what I wanted to be. The only reason he trained me is that he could see the purity in me. That I reminded him of himself once, who he had been at the beginning of his journey. We'd always talk about these things down at the lake. While my feet were in the water, and the fish nipped at my toes. Heh, I don't think there's any in this river, least not at these parts."

28b030e8f36a40dc99098de1e629b746.png

Ecquis had been lying around the riverbed a little ways away from Meredith and Saffron after the speech finished. It was good to see that everyone had high spirits. Morgan and Cynthia were around him as well, in addition to Mira who he had called back down. For now, he decided to enjoy this little respite, especially given that the day before happened to be his birthday. Not that there was too much meaning to that. Usually he happened to just make a note of it to his wyverns before he went back to doing whatever it was he was doing. Still, it was something to think about as he looked into the river.

Edited by Zetaark

yofpY97.png

Saffron listened attentively to Meredith's story, looking out into the other bank as she did. "I have never really been near rivers or lakes. This is my first time putting my feet in a river. Although I always loved taking baths as a girl, the palace had this huge bath house. Keagan and I used to hold swimming races there." Saffron giggled. Her face shifted slightly when a thought crossed her mind. "But have you always wanted to be a fighter? Is that really what you've always wanted to do? I think I messed up my speech, I shouldn't have told everyone to fight. I should have used the word 'live' instead."

EdVIN5k.png

"Indeed, while many have accounted for the wonders of wind and fire magic, thunder magic seems to be limited to just warfare." Feri put his hand to his chin and rubbed it carefully. "Curious. Thunder magic can be used to light a fire in a pinch but any application of fire would more easily done with fire magic. There has to be some unique application to thunder magic don't you agree? What could thunder magic hold above all other forms of magic? And more food for thought; thunder spirits seem to be scared of the wind spirits but dominate fire spirits when put in a close environment? Why is that?"

bd68858da59e4fe0bd0814994a65c1bd.png

Luka was sitting down, dressed in his casual clothes, watching Dash play with some of the younger members of the Misguided Children. They were certainly Children, but whether or not they were Misguided was another thing.. "Heh, they must love you." I bet they'd love me better, though... Petty inner thoughts aside, Luka did enjoy seeing the happy faces on the younger members. Watching them just put a smile on the Dancer's face.

"Say, Dash." What was his real name, again? Luka looked towards the blonde-haired Thief, hoping to get an answer. "Who are these kids, anyway? I heard they were part of the Misguided Children, but I doubt any of them really know how to fight." And I doubt any of us have the heart to send them to battle.

Edited by InnocentBoy

jN80Jl6.png

"Heh... an apt question. No I didn't always want to be a fighter. I didn't always want to be a solider." She looked down at the water as she splashed her feet a little. It felt like home. She almost wanted to well up and just cry. It'd been so long since she'd been there. Seen the face of her family. She knew that they'd not be the most happy with her, but... that they'd be happy she was safe and still kicking. She wondered what Gerson would think of her now. Would he be proud of the silly little trout he caught in the lake of little Arborbrook. She hadn't seen the old coot in years. She missed him.

"I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to save the world. Ever since I was a little girl. All those great men in those silly fairy tales... I wanted to be like them. I wanted to be a person that fought for those that couldn't defend themselves... to speak for those without the words to do so. I thought that being a solider was the best way to do that. And... I became a hero. But it wasn't what I wanted. I wasn't saving anyone. I was only saving myself... I was caught up in the middle of hell. The people I wanted to protect... cut to ribbons, by my own unit. Before they themselves were cut down. I then fought to just protect myself. I wasn't... strong enough. And yet, because I survived... they called me a hero. They lavished praise on me telling me I did some great deed. It was the only thing I never wanted. What happened that day... I was anything but a hero. You're right though. You should've told them that. Because that's the lesson I learned far too late. I just hope that after all this... I can live in peace. But, fighting is all I know anymore. I just hope the people of this nation... don't have to be forced down my path in life. They they know something other than war, suffering...strife. Pain. If I can win that for them... wrest that from the hands of tyranny... Maybe, I would be the hero I always wanted to be." she paused. a breath frozen in her throat. She didn't know where else to go with this. She wanted to say more but she couldn't find the words. Until she looked at Saffron. Her eyes had just, a youthful kindness to them. A kindness she couldn't help but wonder if over all the years... she herself had lost. She was starting to feel like she was the Old Man now. As if like him, she failed on her path. At the end, she was only just as bitter and jaded as he. But... she wasn't sure she was lost yet. However, only one thing came to mind for her to say.

"or maybe you'll be that hero..."