Praise The Sun... and Moon - Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon

Godot

Yeah.... already made a few walls of text regarding alchemy, azoth ritual and starters. But the question was more about specifically for Lunala and the quote "the beast that calls the moon". The green lion devouring the sun is a thing on its own, but I can't find anything about anything that calls the moon

I have no idea about the bat still... But one thing you nerds might have missed is that the Lion creates not just metal, but Gold when it devours the sun. And the Bat is affiliated with Silver.

The element of Gold is affiliated with Leadership, Royalty, Strength, Masculinity, and the Sun.

The element of Silver is affiliated with Intuition, Intelligence, Modern Technology, Feminism, and the Moon.

There is a ton of theories for the lions for alternative inspirations, but I got nothing for the bat...

The star sign for the sun is Leo the Lion and Aries the Ram, The signs for the Moon are Cancer the Crab and Taurus the Bull. There is also the 72 Demons of the Ars Goetia. In the Book there is a lion named Barbas who can be summoned to teach the secrets to machinery. The only mythos mention of a Bat I can find is that the Hawaiian Equivalent to Hercules, named Maoi who slays a one eyed bat to make the day last longer. Causing us to have shorter nights. However he had more than just one task to achieve that goal. The Bat is also a sign of inevitable death. If you witness a Spiritual bat, that means your life will soon come to an end.

What about Zygarde?

What the hell is Marshadow?

Why these types for Legendaries?

Are we going to a new region?

Zygarde's forms have been released in TGC by now. I do hope they appear in the games at some point, I want to use that dog man.

Marshadow is a supposed 3rd legendary from this new generation of games, according to some. I don't know the full of it but I recall it being like with solgaleo and lunala at first: people realised GF had put copyright over those names and they speculated they might be the names of the new legends. Marshadow was (?) one of the names copyrighted so I think that's all there is to it by now. People speculate that since solgaleo is the sun and lunala the moon, marshadow would/could be the eclipse pokemon.

Solgaleo is based on the "lion eating the sun" from alchemy, a symbol of metals (purification of metals?). Thus the steel typing. My guess for psychic is that it is the type often associated to astronomical bodies like the sun (see: espeon, the psychic type sun pokemon, or cresselia, the psychic type moon pokemon).

Lunala's psychic might have the same origin, while the ghost part might be because of the "beast that calls the moon part". Since the dark type is the evil type in japan and has less to do with the moon than with maliciousness (technically), ghost type is more akin to the "night type", if you will. The moon appears at night, so a ghost type should be able to call the night, thus calling upon the moon. Maybe we'll be getting a weather-like move this gen for eclipses and full moons (-speculation-). Still I say, I would have preffered fire/electric and fairy/ghost (-personal opinion-).

It is unknown at this point, but some people think we might, and that's a cool thought.

Two things-

First, Sun pokemon weak to Fire, Moon pokemon weak to Dark? And then there's the registered Marshadow name, and its likely typing to be Fire/Dark based on that.

Second, a pokedex that is entirely dependent upon a particular pokemon species to operate some of its functions? Methinks that Rotom breeding would be very popular in-universe once that happens. NB4 Rotom pimping jokes

• Global Mods

First, Sun pokemon weak to Fire, Moon pokemon weak to Dark?

Solgaleo being Steel has been offered an explanation by Jan earlier in the thread.

"Anyways! To explain why Solgaleo is a Steel/Psychic type.

To address the first point of: "The sun is on fire, the Pokemon of the sun should be fire too!"
This is actually a misconception! The sun is not actually on fire at all. For burning to be possible, oxygen must be present, and as the sun is in space where there is no oxygen, it is not on fire. It is however going through
a process called nuclear fusion. Elements are being fused together to create Iron.
Iron is a component of Steel. yada yada.
Upon further research I've found out that the alchemical symbol for -metal- is a lion eating the sun. Which is mentioned in Solgaleo's info on the website.
3e033d98e18b069136771af93d0ae009.png"

I wonder what role Hala will play in the games? All I know is that he's the one that gives you your pokemon, not Kukui, even tho he's standing like right next to Hala.

I'm sorry if someone has addressed this before -- I'm just curious :0

ALSO LILI IS PRECIOUS I LOVE HER ANd she reminds me of N for some reason??? Weird.

From where do we know the retired samurai looking guy's name is Hala? I haven't seen it mentioned in trailers, Corocoro, or the official site, but more than one person here knows his name.

The trailers, I believe.. I remember seeing it in at least one of them

EDIT:

hqdefault.jpg

It was in the jap trailer I guess, this small image on the kid's 3ds showed that Hala is asking you which starter you'd like

There are likely bigger images out there but I was too lazy to look for one

Edited by Masquerain

Solgaleo being Steel has been offered an explanation by Jan earlier in the thread.

"Anyways! To explain why Solgaleo is a Steel/Psychic type.

To address the first point of: "The sun is on fire, the Pokemon of the sun should be fire too!"
This is actually a misconception! The sun is not actually on fire at all. For burning to be possible, oxygen must be present, and as the sun is in space where there is no oxygen, it is not on fire. It is however going through
a process called nuclear fusion. Elements are being fused together to create Iron.
Iron is a component of Steel. yada yada.
Upon further research I've found out that the alchemical symbol for -metal- is a lion eating the sun. Which is mentioned in Solgaleo's info on the website.
3e033d98e18b069136771af93d0ae009.png"

Actually, I only brought that up to point out that Marshadow is probably a Fire/Dark typing in order to counter both Legendaries. I already saw all the stuff earlier in the thread that you were pointing out. Sorry for not making that clear.

If Marshadow was a Fire/Dark or Dark/Fire type, I think it would be the most hellish thing other than Giratina. One thing that is interesting is that each third legendary is part Dragon. Rayquaza, Giratina, Kyurem, and Zygarde are all Dragon types. It would be interesting if Marshadow was different from that, but who's to say for sure. Maybe we might end up getting another Dark/Dragon type, maybe we'll get a Dark/Poison type, or maybe we'll get a Dark/Fire type.

Anyone else see this?

https://youtu.be/8llADuptdsM

Just saw it this morning...

I have mixed feelings about it. I mean... From the moment the litten forehead= sulfur symbol thing appeared, I had started looking into the theme of alchemy for sunmoon and discovered myself many of the things I saw in vids later..so all in all, I do strongly believe sunmoon is going to be themed around alchemy.

On the other hand, some of the things said in that theory seem too "big" for pokemon.. more like people expecting far too much from these games than will be the case. Not that it would not be incredible if they really make it all come together and have planned this for so long, but ... given the increasing hand-holding and story-telling laziness, I am really reluctant to raise my hopes that high. They are already quite high for my own standards and even that is making me feel like the fall will be hard after..

All in all, this theory sounds quite cool, and yet, quite.... what's the point of it all? What is the goal? All I really want for SM is a big enough place to explore (dem hardly-can-count-10 towns really don't give alola much shine in my eyes) , a story that is at least on par with the delta ep and, if I dare hope for that much, at least on par with BW/2, a decent at least dex and actual post-game.

The koala is based on Australian folktales about dreams or "Dreamtime". The concept of Dreamtime isn't exclusive to koalas though, it is affiliated with multiple animals. Koalas are just an animal who is strongly affiliated with Australia. In other pop fictions revolving dream worlds and Australia oftem use not just koalas, but dingos, sharks, and kangaroos as well.

No idea on what true dog is inspired by, if it is inspired by anything.

The koala is based on Australian folktales about dreams or "Dreamtime". The concept of Dreamtime isn't exclusive to koalas though, it is affiliated with multiple animals. Koalas are just an animal who is strongly affiliated with Australia. In other pop fictions revolving dream worlds and Australia oftem use not just koalas, but dingos, sharks, and kangaroos as well.

No idea on what true dog is inspired by, if it is inspired by anything.

inb4 the koala brings back the dream world and is linked to Musharna.

Also, rock doge is adorable, slightly resembles a collie, and must be protected at all costs, no matter the price.

PUPPY! PUPPY! PUPPY! PUPPY! PUPPY! PUPPY!

Ahem, anyways..er...right. The Definite Sleep ability seems excellent, since the koala can't be paralysed, burnt or poisoned, seemingly. We have to see if it prevents confusion and infatuation as well, but it'll have RestTalk for sure, then (bit counter-intuitive since rest already cures all statuses...if it gets Slack Off it'll be excellent)

Also, PUPPY!

Mega Evolutions?

I am collie calling it right now, that dog will get a Spiked Collar made of Stalagmites, and that sounds Heavy Metal as Fuck.

edit: the rock Doge is literally based on the same breed of dog as Doge, Shiba Inu. There are also supposed myths about Shiba Inus saying that they are descended from Feral Wolves despite being cute and playful dogs. It may be based on a japanese Mountain Dog/wolf spirit who protects travelers when they cross mountains or hills. The dogs/wolves are also one of the inspirations for Amateratsu in Okami. (besides the obvious one of the Godess of the sun herself.) These Rock Doge are said to have Brown fur and long white ash tipped tails.