Starters

Pausaunias

If you choose a starter in every region, which would be and why??????

Me for example, i wouldn't have any problem to choose between the 3 of Kanto because all of them are awesome.

In Johto i choose chikorita, because i almost hate every pokemon in that region exept 3-5 of them,

in Hoenn tortic because is the most cool looking and is the only fire type in the region i like and need in the team.

The Sinnoh region is a little bit "problematic" because the only fire type you found in the region is the starter chimchar :P (which is awesome pokemon too, as apearence and as battler)(and the only good starter, to say the truth, to that region) .

In Unova i choose the cute and the same time devestating oshawott,

and in Kalos region i choose chespin, only for the cool and strong (i think strong :P ) the last evo of the line!!!

Sorry if there was be the same topic in the forum to the past and this is not nessecary

Edited by Pausaunias

I always just pick my starter based on looks ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Kanto -> Squirtle. This might actually be the exception to the above rule. Looking back, Squirtle is the ugliest of the three at base form, but second best in its final evo. I guess I just pick it because of tradition.

Johto -> Cyndaquil. It's my all-time favorite Pokemon as well as the only Pokemon that I absolutely refuse to evolve. It gets an Everstone in every game that I have it. It also reaches level 100 in every game I have it. It's also completely EV and IV bred in my XY file. I like Cyndaquil.

Hoenn -> Mudkip. I also just picked this one based on appearance. Mudkip's the cutest one at base form, and the coolest one in its final form. <3

Sinnoh -> I've never actually played a Sinnoh game, but Turtwig is far and beyond my choice if I were to play.

Unova -> Also never played an Unova game, but I'd pick Snivy if I were to play one, as I did in Reborn. Reborn was my first time playing with any of the Gen 5 starters, and I actually had no idea what their evolutions looked like when I started, so that was fun. I've since caught up on Gen IV and V Pokemon though.

Kalos -> XY was the first Pokemon game I'd played since Emerald, and I ended up going with Froakie. This time, I'd looked at all the evolutions beforehand, and it was quite apparent to me that Greninja was the coolest final form. Fennekin had potential, but they completely screwed it up imo.

Kanto- When I was a wee lad, I loved the Charizard line like many others... but now, I find all three just really badly designed. None of them fit my style of play and they all just look fat and ugly >.> If I had to pick, then Bulbasaur. Cause Bulbasaur was bloody adorable.

Johto- Cyndaquil. This thing is cute as all hell. the squinty eyes, the little snout..... it made me fall in love with this Pokemon. Oh, and did I mention that ITS SOOO CUTEEEEEE. Quilava had a nice sleek design too, with its smooth body and flames. Pity that Typhlosion looked bad....

Hoenn- This is when I started to pick the Pokemon that fit my style - namely fast offensive ones. Treeko is my choice, cause Torchic too mainstream, ya? Plus I love Grovyle and Sceptile's designs. It looks so badass, and the anime must be crazy to not give Ash Mega Sceptile. But hey, Charizard MVP amirite?

Sinnoh- Fave Generation, with probably all starters in my Top 5 favorite ones ever. Empoleon looks badass as hell, and Torterra is terrifying when you face it (it has a bloody ECOSYSTEM on it's back), but the clear winner is Infernape. This monkey was so cool, with the flames on it's head to it's regal markings on it's body.... paired with some powerful ass moves.... What's not to love?

Unova- Second fave Gen, and Tepig was adorable (while Oshawott was not) and Pignite and Emboar looked terrible (while Samurott looked badass). But Snivy- It goes from Cute to cool to regal in a couple evolutions and it's just so much better looking than the others. Not to mention based Contrary. >.>

Kalos- From looks, I'd pick Fennekin. BUT Delphox is just so..... ugh. Disliked Chispin's entire line, including grass Pignite and the Hunchback of Kalos. Froakie is too mainstream though, but I'll just say that it fits my style to make me seem more original :3

I have bias towards water starters, these are my choices for each gens and regions:

Kanto - Squirtle, a literal tank, with decent attacks stats to back up, and it has less weaknesses than the other two as pure water type

Johto - Totodile, for me it is cutest of all three, and relatively versatile learnsets for three pure type starters

Hoenn - I had used three of them in different playthroughs of Emerald, and i honestly would settle for any of them

Sinnoh - This trio is by far my favourite starters as a whole, but if i have to go with the most favourite, i would say Piplup, i had been holding out for penguinn based mon after Delibird before gen 4 came out, and Piplup just did it , i like Empoleon's design, and it is functional as special defense wall while boasting a good special attack

Unova - Oshawott, water type starter bias and all round mixed attacker, with decent bulk, Samurott has a cool design

Kalos - Fennekin, as an exception to my water starter bias, since psychic type comes before water type, and Fennekin entire evolutionary line is great as a whole, i dont hate Delphox design per se though it could have some space for improvement

I also am biased towards water types.

Gen 1: Squirtle is awesome and cute. I like it in every stage.

Gen 2: I'm not sure between Totodile and Cyndaquil. They are both so great in every way. I honestly can't choose.

Gen 3: Mudkip is the cutest and the coolest. It is also really good in game which makes me happy.

Gen 4: I don't like the gen 4 starters at all. Piplup is my favourite but I felt let down by Empoleon. I wanted something cute.

Gen 5: I never played through the game with Seperior but I love it now. It has become my favourite of the starters recently.

Gen 6: Fennekin is the best. I really like its design (including Delphox).

As a kid I was very biased to all the water types, but now that I have gotten older I shall actually go with my favorites

Kanto: Bulbasaur, I always did enjoy a good challenge, and using Venusaur late game especially against Sabrina and Blaine can be hard, but it is rewarding

Johto: Totodile, only because screw the rules I'ma bite your face off

Hoenn: Always had, always will have a soft spot for Mudkip, so what if I liek Mudkipz?

Sinnoh: Chimchar, even thought Piplup is almost even, I'm thinking of overall how much fun I had playing with each one, and Chimchar was overall just more enjoyable

Unova: Tepig, because I could nickname it Smokeybacon and still not give a care

Kalos: Froakie is the most op pokemon you could wish for only if you can get the hidden ability. Also that shiny form for Greninja is on point.

I'm sorry but, froakie is the only starter I consider worth getting 0-0

It's the only one that's ghost type (shadow sneak protean)

It can be used VERY INTERESTINGLY

My favourite move set is scald, toxic spikes, extra sensory and spikes.

It's awesome being able to set up, as well as avoiding damage from electric/poison attacks and still making use of the high speed and damage.

Plus, people never expect extra sensory for some reason..

There you go. I don't think any others are worth using. Even speed boost blaziken.

Kanto: I would pick Charmander; because in my opinion while Bulbasaur is a dinosaur and Squirtle is a turtle that gets cannons; I always liked the idea of having my own personal dragon to use.

Johto: Cyndaquil; because Typhlosion is quite awesome if a bit lacking in the early game.

Hoenn: Blaziken; because while Swampert has the least weaknesses it's not exactly based on my favorite mon, and I like Fire/Fighting lightning bruisers more than super fragile Sceptile.

Sinnoh: Piplup; because while it starts out as being quite derpy it ends up being quite awesome.

Unova: Oshawott because it's a samurai.... do I really need to give you another reason?

Kalos: Froakie; because while I am quite happy that they broke the fire/fighting mold with Delphox; it's a mon that looks like a woman, but has a 75% chance of being a man; that and the fact that I don't really like most pokemon that are four times as weak to a type, and the fact that Greninja is the jack of all trades, and if used correctly; the master of all.

Ps: I agree with you Juuzou why is it that no one ever expects extrasensory?

Kanto: Squirtle, It looks so adorable and I love Wartortle's design, and Blastoise >>>> Charizard, sorry.

Johto: Cyndaquil, same as Squirtle, I love middle starter evos, they look really cool tbh, and Quilava is one of them.

Hoenn: Treecko, but there's a deep reason for that. I actually started playing Pokémon with Platinum and I played PMD EoS before any other game of the main series. Grovyle is one of my fav characters in the game, and that's why I choose Treecko.

Sinnoh: My first starter, who will be in my heart forever, Piplup. I actually don't like Prinplup so much, but Empoleon is DA FREAKING KING.

I like Turtwig and Chimchar so much, If Piplup wasn't my first starter, this choice would be sooo difficult.

Unova: Oshawott, same reason as Cyndaquil and Squirtle.

Kalos: When XY was announced, I would choose Chespin :3, then Quilladin was announced and made me love Chespin more, but then Chesnaught was revealed... broke my heart. So I'd go with Froakie

• Developers

kanto- squirtle- never had the first games but I love water pokemon and the artwork for the box solidified my feelings for it

jhoto-cyndaquil because I like the growth from a meek looking pokemon to one that will quite possibley burn you out of existance

hoenn-mudkip I had the jhoto games but this is the first generation where I remember my starter was mudkip so nostalgia helps

sinnoh-turtwig- I have a unatural distaste for chimchar and piplup because chimchar looks ugly and dawns piplup anoyed the shiz out of me.

unova-snivy- I love smugleaf

kalos-chespin- kinda for the same reason as cyndaquil that second stage was just to lure you into a false sense of thought that this grass type would never be

able to hurt you

I always pick my starter according to the design of the evolution line I like most, not for its viability in battle :v

So wellp.

Kanto- Charmander all the way. I really really like the char linem always have from the start so that's not even a contest there

Johto- Cyndaquil. I like all 3 starters, except chikorita's line is meh for me, but Toto line is cool too. However, I've always liked the Cynda evo line the most, especially Quilava. And in pokemon crystal, the sprites for the whole line looked badass

Hoenn- Well shiet. I'm really torn here. I mean the first one I chose was Mudkip because Mudkipz. But I also really like Treecko's evo line so I often just balance my playthroughs with picking either one. For ORAS I went with Treecko because hulkpert is ehhh.. no

Sinnoh- this has got to be the generation in which I literally can't say I have an affinity to any of the starters. In all my playthroughs I pick Chimchar because that's the one whose evolution line I don't hate, but I don't really like it either. I liked Piplup but not its evolutions ..and then the anime made me hate piplup too

Unova- Hoenn all over again. Torn between Snivy and Oshawott. I love Serperior and Samurott both so I try to balance the choice for these as well. My first choice was Snivy though.

Kalos- Wellp. When I saw the 3 starters, I was on team Fennekin immediately, cuz froakie looked ...nothing special. Then we saw Braixen and Frogadier. That solidified my choice. I really liked the foxes so far..and then they introduced the final evos i: I can't say I like Delphox sadly, but Greninja was really cool and wellp. My choice went to Froakie in the end. (Chespin lost me as soon as I saw the rest of its evos)

Kanto-squirtle(i enjoyed it more than charmander and i never used bulbasaur for some reason...)

Jhoto-cyndaquil(my starter in heart gold. from that moment on i just love the little guy)

Hoenn-i used all the starters and i love them all the same way. i just cant pick....

Sinnoh-chimchar(infernape is my favorite pokemon,although i quite enjoyed turtwig)

Unova-a draw between tepig and oshawott.(tepig was my first starter in black and oshawott was my starter at black 2 challenge mode nuzlocke. he survived all the way through)

Kalos-a draw between all of them. like in hoenn, i love them all the same way.

I choose base on cuteness and profit for those starter

Kanto:Charmander(overate but so useful in this region)

Jotho:Cyndaquill(I thought Chikorita might be good...I was wrong I can't even get pass Falkner and Quilava look cool :3)

Hoenn:Treeko(because I want May to have Torchic...that it)

Sinnoh:Turtwig(I like to start with Piplup but then rival would win,I don't like monkey,and I want Dawn to have Piplup)

Kanto:Oshawott(OSHAAAAA!)

Kanto:Chespin(I think you know why)

Edited by BBD