What do you really love about Reborn?

Kamu

I love just how satisfying the game is. I lost against Shade many times and had a bunch of different strategies to beat him and then did something on a whim and it ended up winning me the battle. Through trial and error and just throwing my hopes out there I managed to finally beat him [like just now] and it was just the best feeling ever afterwards. Up until then the Gym leaders' tricks and teams haven't been as hard to stump as Shade for me and he was one helluva trial that I finally overcame.

What are some things that really make you love this game?

Woo 6vLa6Dy.png

COREY'S SUICIDE. I have said it before and I will say it again, that scene is absolutely masterful, the single best moment in the game bar none, and proves just how good Ame can be at deconstruction when she wants to be. Which is why I have often been so harsh in criticizing other passages that are not as well developed: once you have seen the peak of someone's talent, you start wishing that they would ALWAYS be at that level (specially if you have sincere admiration for the person, like I have for Ame).

Hmm... It's kinda hard to explain, but I just really like the feel of the game itself. I have fun with the plot and characters, and while the game does have design flaws, I feel it avoids many of the pitfalls the real games and most fan games fall into. I feel like I'm not being handed everything, and that I'm making real progress when as I progress through the game, especially when I look at my team through the game. The first time I played Reborn it kicked my teeth in, as I was used to not having to explore a lot to get a good team. (My first playthrough was when episode 12 was the most recent version, and I finished it with only a Typhlosion, Swampert, Mightyena, two fodder Pokemon I forget about, and a fodder Heatmor that pulled it's weight sometimes.)

Right now, I'm used the vanilla Reborn so I sadly find it kind of easy right now. Then Reborn Hardcore was released, and I'm back to having happy difficult fun times. Definitely really looking forward to the completed game, and I honestly kinda have a hard time playing the official games now because they just bore me.

I'd have to say the immersive plot and characters. Keeps things from getting stale

Yeah. I'm super hyped right now for what's going on and what has been going on ever since I stepped into the Lapis ward and and onwards.

Team Magma is my favorite team barring Rocket and being a part of their little 'gang' in the game was hilarious, thwarting Aqua and stuff. Also chasing around the doctor is going to be awesome I can't wait to catch up to Cain, it's great seeing a new side to him. This game is really well-made.

The characters and plot for me. I really care about most of the characters in the game and feel their emotions. Ame's writing is just masterful in this regard!

Yes the characters are awesome.

Personal favorites right now are Charlotte and Cain. Honestly thought Cain aint shit until what's going on right now [chasing around the girls from the mental ward] and saw a new side to him. Loving it.

Yeah. I'm super hyped right now for what's going on and what has been going on ever since I stepped into the Lapis ward and and onwards.

Team Magma is my favorite team barring Rocket and being a part of their little 'gang' in the game was hilarious, thwarting Aqua and stuff. Also chasing around the doctor is going to be awesome I can't wait to catch up to Cain, it's great seeing a new side to him. This game is really well-made.

Yea. All the stuff that's been going on with Team Meteor has been intense.

• Global Mods

Field effects

A gym for each type

All Pokemon (eventually) available, plus interesting sidequests to obtain them

All Gen 1-6 starter options

Ame writes excellent dialogue

The work that goes in to make everything unique and not just default Essentials materials (tilesets, PC wallpapers that were just done, etc.)

Shards being used as currency is cool

The aesthetic of Iolia Valley

I like ice cream and cotton candy

I may have forgotten some things.

The following are the few aspects that are appealing to me in Reborn:

1. As the others above me have mentioned, the plots and how elaborate the backstories of each characters is in reborn are what have drawn me to Reborn.

2. The field effects, this is how things would play out if pokemon battles were to take place in reality, and enable the otherwise overlooked mons to take the center stages once again for their usefulness in certain fields.

3. The sidequests, the bonds between me and the event mons run deeper when you can only work hard to get them once, they will always have a special place in my heart.

4. Pulse mons and major bosses are no push overs that are actually posing real threats and terror to Reborn world

5. Cain, Cal and Luna, end of story.

Edited by TimTim

the plot and writing.

no matter when or where you are in the game, you're always at the edge of your seat.

I'd also say the setting and graphics of this massive world that is the Reborn region...but we'll see how that is when E16 comes out and the city has been remodeled~ I'm normally not a fan of dark, gloomy areas but Reborn is an exception because it does it well. if that makes sense, haha~

This might be a little bland because all of the things I'm listing here are pretty much stated above:

1. The plot - I've played numerous Pokemon fan-games and hacks, and I must say Reborn's plot is the best plot I've encountered so far. The dialogue is amazing and the dark atmosphere the game reveals is unlike any Pokemon game I've ever came across.

2. The characters - I like how most of the important characters are given a significant role in the storyline. I especially like how we are shown some characters, such as Shelly, Cal and Simon, develop as the plot progresses. I really can't wait to see how the plot will weave itself to a finale at the very end. (Of course, there are some characters that still need developing - such as Serra, but I'm sure we'll see more of her in future episodes... I hope so anyway)

3. Field Effects - This is what makes Reborn very unique. It adds an extra level of difficulty - and gets the player to think about their strategies a bit more.

4. The difficulty - Reborn is possibly the most difficult Pokemon game I tried (if you exclude horribly broken games which I won't list here). There are numerous challenging battles and the leaders aren't just a walk in the park - so you actually feel pretty satisfied when you emerge victorious in a really tough battle.

Additionally, I really like how the Pokemon are distributed evenly throughout the game - especially as it gives some mons that are literally never used (e.g Kricketune, Emolga etc) a time to shine.

reborn is a really unique fanmade game and is the first one i played so i guess it's special to me???

1. it's edgey - in another game by another developer this could be lame but i feel like in reborn it's pulled off well enough to be enjoyable.

2. field effects - i love to hate them, i enjoy that in most/some cases it makes battling more realistic, definitely gives the game a unique extra dimension that isn't found in normal games.

3. the lengh - i feel invested in reborn, i feel if it were a standard 8 badge 4 elite four member game it wouldn't be so memorable.

4. level cap - unique concept that i hadn't seen used before other than for traded mons. definitely keeps the game from getting stale/too easy.

Edited by Lil' Baby Rupe

Its been mentioned by a few people above - but for me the awesome thing about Reborn is how much it gets you to invest in your team/world. From event pokemon, to interesting characters with cool stories you get to see develop, to actually having to work hard with your team to over-come leaders and tough fights, to even the progression of who you fight.

One of the things I thought was really cool is how you fight Solaris' Garchomp earlier in the game and it wrecks you, but then by the time you fight him again your team is sufficiently leveled to fight his entire team at their actual level

Length is also a huge selling feature - in just pure # of hours I've logged like several "normal" pokemon games with my team so of course you care a lot more about the team and have cool memories about the pokemon in them.

It's a pokémon game with an actual plot and remarkable characters, which makes some plot points even more memorable (i.e Corey's suicide).

I wonder how this would work without the limitations a pokémon game presents (When it comes to cutscenes and things like that).

It's a pokémon game with an actual plot and remarkable characters, which makes some plot points even more memorable (i.e Corey's suicide).

I wonder how this would work without the limitations a pokémon game presents (When it comes to cutscenes and things like that).

Great. Now I want to see a Pokemon game with CGI, voice acted cutscenes...

-The Plot and Characters: I've played quite a few other Pokemon fan games, and none of them came close to having an interesting plot or memorable characters in them. Most fan games, and games now a days have cookie cutter characters who are either uninteresting, or just plain stupid. Barring Rejuvenation, I don't think any other Pokemon game actually makes me worry for a character well being.

-The art style: This game is nice to look at, even if people might consider the graphic "outdated." The fact that it takes almost hours upon hours to find actually grassy fields or clean areas really is a plus.

-The Community: When I first joined Reborn's community, I had just fled a very toxic community that I had spent almost three years at. Now, that community is literally gone, and I can already see how the people here are a lot better than those who I'll call the "outsiders."

-The Fact That It's A Pokemon Game Not For Kids: I'm so freaking tired of the flat out simplicity of the Pokemon games. This game has grit, and I'm okay with that.

-The Difficulty(?): This game is hard. I found that out the painful way. Now, I love the difficulty, as it adds a sense of achievement to it. Beating a boss feels like a real achievement, and not something that you can just cheese with your level one hundred Swampert.

-The Music: I'm not sure who made the music for this game, or if it was a collaboration of some sort, but I'm not muting my game, which is something done right.

-The Auto Save Feature: Enough said.

-The Increased Shiny Rate: Yes.

-The Fact That Choices Have Consequences: Sure, I'm a little annoyed about missing the Shiny Charm for now, but the fact that this game remembers what you do is a plus.

Murder!: Am I twisted for this? Probably. Remember kids, if a gym leader doesn't immediately give you a badge, they're as good as dead.

It should go without saying the characters, plot, field effect and many other aspects are amazing and should not be overlooked but those will get enough attention from other people so I'm going to focus on something more esoteric.

Simply put I do my best to play as a fire trainer, every so often I'll grab something other than fire type for a number of reasons but 90% of the time its fire types all the way. In official games it makes me feel a bit ...isolated... for lack of a better word. Every character talks about how having pokemon of every type is the way to go and the only people with mono-types are the leaders, E4 members some champions and bug catchers but none of the people you are expected to journey with even think about going mono. So when in reborn I see characters who work along a similar line of though to me, who have latched onto a single type to define themselves but are still happy to make some exceptions it constructs a world I feel more comfortable in compared to official releases.

Official pokemon games and most of the pokemon community treat mono-typing as only a novelty and people who are just their to enjoy the games shouldn't do. In pokemon reborn it gives a feel that people are using their chosen types because they just like that type and it makes me feel right at home.

I think we've had a topic like this too

Wellp

Guess it's time to restate that I simply love the darker, more mature plot of reborn. I love the concept of PULSE, the fact that you need to actually put effort into finding the better pokemon options, pokemon events are great. I also love that this game deals with more real life-existing issues like cultism, drugs, suicide, etc. And last but not least, I loved the difficulty of the game which seems to be not as much nowadays

The increased and customized shinies. When I first played this game I didn't know that the shinies had been customized and were different from in the canon games - much to my surprise when I got my shiny Snivy and it was black and red instead of that weird blue-ish color in the main series. I was absolutely delighted~

Another thing I like is the plot; that your character setting out to be the champion isn't in the forefront of the game, if it's even a thing. It seems more to me that the player character is getting badges sheerly for the convenience, or because they have to, rather than because they want to 'be the very best'. It's something I don't see in many hacks (if reborn can really be considered a 'hack' as such) nowadays - whenever I try to find good roms, the plot always centers around your character wants to be the champion, or nothing plot-wise is changed at all and it's just a re-skin of the canon games.

Reborn is something really unique, and despite my irritations with some of the mechanics, it's plot is one of my favorites I've seen in Pokemon hacks so far.

I think I rambled off topic in that last part. Whoops...

My top favorite thing about this game: the difficulty. In the original pokemon games, you can get to the end with just one pokemon, which defeats the whole point of having around 721 to choose from. Reborn actually makes you feel the need to train mons you normally wouldn't use, and I like that, I found out a lot of mons I disliked are very good (Golem, Torkoal, Throh, Muk, any pokemon with Pickup, and so on).

Second, would be the field effects, they add the need for a strategy for beating most trainers instead of mindlessly picking any mons you have and just spam the strongest attack.

Third, the characters. They all feel unique, like Cain being a flirt, or T3RR4's m3g4 1337 5ki11s!

After that I guess it would be the story, so many moments where I went "what just happened..."

G I V E

great, now I want this

Biggest "love it" about the game for me? The characters. The wonderful, relatable, well thought-out characters.

When I started playing the game I was a bit skeptical about all the colourful leaders in such a dark setting (I mean, you barely escape a terrorist attack, and one of the first people you meet is Julia with her green hair and the BOOM obsession), but I got used to it, and, more importantly, the character concepts are amazing and convincing.

And well, I think at least 80% of people reading this already know it, but the Meteors are my favourites.

They're a great criminal team - threatening, but not without their internal power struggles and a variety of characters from all ranks that have engaging and noteworthy stories.

With the exception of N in BW, I never really cared for the fate of a villain character much. Like... my favourite canon villain is Cyrus. But even though he was a really interesting character that I greatly enjoyed, I never went "wow, I want to save him".

But the Meteors... Somehow, Reborn has managed to make the villain team just as sympathetic to me as the player's friends/allies.

Unrelatable or shallow villain characters are definitely a pet peeve of mine especially in games. I'm happy to see Reborn avert this.

I also generally love how the game plays out that whole grey-versus-gray morality trope. I like that we've got these situations where you have to tolerate stuff you normally might not approve of, or that you can do good things for people who you feel might not deserve it.

Reborn's characters are so human, and that's what made me fall in love with the game.

I really like the story and characters. i enjoy playing pokemon games for the story. If I just wanted to battle, I would spend more time wifi battling. With reborn, I really enjoy the story because it becomes unpredictable at certain points and leaves me guessing about what could happen next. I also enjoy the interaction between the games different characters. Unlike normal pokemon games, important characters have unique relationships and interact with the game's other characters and not just the player. It's also nice to see the gym leaders have a role outside of the gym rather than just be another trainer you have to beat like in many of the main series games