• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dunno 'bout the rest but i'm somewhat expecting this oscar character to be the spring maiden seeing as ozpin contacted him??

would be kinda cool tbh

unless they pull some "haha, psyche!!" shit, he can't be the spring maiden as he's ((presumably)) a male. connected to ozpin yes - ozpin's name likely comes from Oscar Zoroaster Phadrig Isaac Norman Henkel Emmannuel Ambroise Digg, aka the wizard of oz for those who don't know. the first letters spell OZPINHEAD. Ozpin, head of beacon academy. funnily enough, the wizard from wizard of oz's first name is Oscar. combine this with ozpin contacting him, his black hair, and i guess he's a young ozpin somehow. after all, ozpin has black eyebrows - suggesting he had black hair when he was younger. combined with his time shenanigans and likely being the wizard from the seasonal maidens story... yeah!!

• 3 weeks later...

Volume 4 Chapter 6 spoilers below.

READ AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION

I think Tyrians' semblance is the ability to suck aura out of people upon contact. I think this because of the fact that those red lines can be seen almost every time he strikes Ruby. It would also fit his scorpion faunus status. Then there is his interest in Jaune, which I think to be because he is fascinated by Jaune's large amount of aura.

Edited by Azure NightStriker
Thought of more to say

1 hour ago, Azure NightStriker said:

Volume 4 Chapter 6 spoilers below.

READ AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION

Reveal hidden contents

I think Tyrians' semblance is the ability to suck aura out of people upon contact. I think this because of the fact that those red lines can be seen almost every time he strikes Ruby. It would also fit his scorpion faunus status. Then there is his interest in Jaune, which I think to be because he is fascinated by Jaune's large amount of aura.

I'm a chapter behind, because I'm not a first user.

Hi all, so I watched the trailers and the first few episodes of volume 1, was kinda hyped about it since everybody seems to praise RWBY, and though it wasn't bad I have to admit I wasn't really compelled.

I'm pondering wether I should give it more time or not, and since you people seem to be enjoying the series I'm counting on you to convince me! What do you think makes RWBY worth watching?

• Support Squad
1 hour ago, Alistair said:

Hi all, so I watched the trailers and the first few episodes of volume 1, was kinda hyped about it since everybody seems to praise RWBY, and though it wasn't bad I have to admit I wasn't really compelled.

I'm pondering wether I should give it more time or not, and since you people seem to be enjoying the series I'm counting on you to convince me! What do you think makes RWBY worth watching?

RWBY gets better as it goes because aside from introducing more interesting elements and attaching you to a character the team behind it gets better at producing it. Animation, dialogue, fight choreography all gets better as you go.

• Developers
13 hours ago, Sparky said:

I'm a chapter behind, because I'm not a first user.

I think barely anyone here is a first user, but if you make a FREE Rooster Teeth account you can watch the episodes on Sunday (Whereas they come out for First users on Saturday).

Anyway, my thoughts on Chapter 6 below:

Spoiler

So I was very pleased to see Tyrian being so much more powerful than team RNJR, because all of team WTCH should be pretty incredibly strong imo, and it would be sort of a copout if he was more evenly matched with them. The reveal he's a faunus, and a Scoprion no less, is brilliant, and watching him fight was amazing. At least we know Salem is an equal opportunity evil mastermind. I think the idea his semblance may be absorbing Aura in some manner as Azure Nightstriker suggested above certainly seems like it has merit, and I can't wait to see how chapter 7 fares with Qrow joining the fray.

Also Ren's senses seem VERY heightened indeed with how he spotted Tyrian coming, I wonder is that part of his high level of training, or perhaps there's something more there, maybe a hint of semblance?

9 hours ago, Alistair said:

Give it until Season 2/3, I know I'm saying to watch a bunch of the show before deciding which normally is a bit... silly, but due to RWBY's episodes being a lot shorter it's much easier to get through the earleir parts to really get into the meat. A lot that were watching since season 1 sorta saw the potential moreso and that what kept us about and with each season it only really gets better in every way as people have said already lol. Season 3 is when it REALLY gets rolling and I think it's the best indication of if you like season 3, you'll dig it as a series. So, give until then. Mostly, the shortness of the episodes really does a lot to make it easy to get to that point and it's really when it picks up I feel. Tbh, RWBY in production value story etc gets a lot stronger as it goes on. The first two seasons build it up well as they build the world and introduce you to the main cast very well, and season 3 gets the story rolling and it gets rolling FAST. Season 4 slows down the pace a bit ((so far it's not fully out yet.)) but it's well worth it for all the worldbuilding we're getting. Really, RWBY feels like a very very light show them'ing wise in the first two season, but there's a stark contrast set in season 3 with immense tonal shift in thematic and overall with how the show is presented. it transitions into this well however and it's not jarring. ((well maybe emotionally it is lol.)) In short, I'll say give it a bit. Season 1 is pretty rough and sorta like the extended pilot of the show. Normally I'd not say "give the time to grow on ya." but I think due to RWBY's rather short episodes is well worth your time diving into it to at least the later half of season 2 and the early parts of season 3. If it's still not appealing to you at that point defs drop it.

4 Chapter 6 thoughts.

Spoiler

So first things first, Weiss's dad still a giant phallus. I fucking hate that dude. Really that whole scene I was like my loooooord all you people suck. Man... this season is sorta making me just really like Weiss. Because damn I feel for ya girl you're surrounded by a bunch of assholes my lord.

Note 2: I really don't believe that is Weiss singing period. Like I get that sometimes your voice can change drastically when singing but it juuuust felt out of place.

Note 3: Ironwood still handsome as fuck.

Onto our good friend Tyrion, I... dunno fi I'm ready to say that's what his sembalnce does cause tbh... I don't really get that impression? Like it didn't seem to do anything noticable and if it did suck away aura I'd think we'd notice it like visiablly on Ruby. But she doesn't really seem effected in that way. SInce when your aura drops it's cuase you aren't really able to maintain it. Least, far as I know. I dunno... I jsut don't get the impression. It does soemthing important, they showed us that for a reason, what that reason is... n idea. I'd prefer to wait and see then hazard guesses at the moment tbh. We'll possibly get an answer next episode. Hence why I'm not willing to ride the theory train yet lol.

But yes,  love how he basically jsut schooled the hell out of them and it's clear he's... not really even trying either. Like he's hardly being serious in this and was deeeeeeeeeefinitely toying with them. Here's hopin' we get uber serious awesome fight sequence in the next Chapter.

9 hours ago, Marcello said:

I think barely anyone here is a first user, but if you make a FREE Rooster Teeth account you can watch the episodes on Sunday (Whereas they come out for First users on Saturday).

Anyway, my thoughts on Chapter 6 below:

Reveal hidden contents

So I was very pleased to see Tyrian being so much more powerful than team RNJR, because all of team WTCH should be pretty incredibly strong imo, and it would be sort of a copout if he was more evenly matched with them. The reveal he's a faunus, and a Scoprion no less, is brilliant, and watching him fight was amazing. At least we know Salem is an equal opportunity evil mastermind. I think the idea his semblance may be absorbing Aura in some manner as Azure Nightstriker suggested above certainly seems like it has merit, and I can't wait to see how chapter 7 fares with Qrow joining the fray.

Also Ren's senses seem VERY heightened indeed with how he spotted Tyrian coming, I wonder is that part of his high level of training, or perhaps there's something more there, maybe a hint of semblance?

But I got to see Chapter 5 on a Saturday without a RoosterTeeth First account.

• Administrators
8 hours ago, Hukuna the Undying said:

Onto our good friend Tyrion, I... dunno fi I'm ready to say that's what his sembalnce does cause tbh... I don't really get that impression? Like it didn't seem to do anything noticable and if it did suck away aura I'd think we'd notice it like visiablly on Ruby. But she doesn't really seem effected in that way. SInce when your aura drops it's cuase you aren't really able to maintain it. Least, far as I know. I dunno... I jsut don't get the impression. It does soemthing important, they showed us that for a reason, what that reason is... n idea. I'd prefer to wait and see then hazard guesses at the moment tbh. We'll possibly get an answer next episode. Hence why I'm not willing to ride the theory train yet lol.

I'm thinking the same thing. If Grimm Eclipse is to be used for an example (and why wouldn't it) a person's aura acts more or less like a shield, like, halo-style energy shield. Ruby got hit up and her shield went down, as seen the last time she was hit especially hard. There, of course, could be more to it since before this it wasn't ever especially apparent or highlighted like it was here, but, for now I'm not sure it's terribly important.

Hey thanks for the lengthy answer Hukuna. I just finished volume 1 and although the plot is still advancing slowly, I can already tell characterization is progressing steadily and the animation is slightly smoother than in the pilot. I'll make sure to check out the rest.

4 hours ago, Marcello said:

As anyone can on youtube. But with a Rosster Teeth free account, we got to see Chapter 6 on Sunday

I meant that as in I saw it on the RoosterTeeth site, because Chapter 5 was released last Saturday

7 hours ago, Alistair said:

Hey thanks for the lengthy answer Hukuna. I just finished volume 1 and although the plot is still advancing slowly, I can already tell characterization is progressing steadily and the animation is slightly smoother than in the pilot. I'll make sure to check out the rest.

No problem~ I thought I'd just chuck it out there and make it know ya know. I really love the series and seeing more folks get into it would defs be great. It one of the more solid things to come out in a loooong while imo. They put a hell of a lot of time and effort into this series and like, it really shows tbh lol. Glad it's warming up to ya even if only slightly~ Hope it pans out.

12 hours ago, Ikaru said:

Hide contents

I'm thinking the same thing. If Grimm Eclipse is to be used for an example (and why wouldn't it) a person's aura acts more or less like a shield, like, halo-style energy shield. Ruby got hit up and her shield went down, as seen the last time she was hit especially hard. There, of course, could be more to it since before this it wasn't ever especially apparent or highlighted like it was here, but, for now I'm not sure it's terribly important.

Spoiler

It probably has some significance, but it's not something I think we'll get to figure out for awhile. They've throughout the series left little inklings/hints to future happenings before without letting us entirely in on the exact details so there's not no reason for it, jsut not one I think we can discern at the moment. I will however note that ONLY when attacking Ruby did that redish static type thing show up. Tyrion I suppose didn't really ever land a true direct hit on the others, but pretty much every hit on Ruby caused it to happen. ((I think it even did when all he struck was Crescent Rose.)) But, I didn't notice it really once when it was landed on any of the other 3 in our little party, nor when he hit Qrow's sword at the end there. So... there's some significance here... but not one I think we'll get to learn for a long while. It's one of those "Note for the future" type things.

Also watched it again this morning with my little bro since he was behind on RWBY again. Notes from round two, Weiss's Dad is still a gaint phallus. ANd Ironwood still = hunky as shit.

• Administrators

I agree, #FreeWeiss #WeissDidNothingWrong #ProtectHer etc

As for the previous thing, yeah, I suppose that is fair and it may come into play later. He did say the only one he was interested in was Ruby, so I imagine that plays a part too. The fact that team RNJR is so outmatched leads me to believe everyone's individual plots are working towards a reunion of team RWBY in order to have much of a chance at all down the line. Maybe (or probably) not this volume, since they all have their own things to be dealing with. As team RNJR is now, they're not especially coordinated whereas team RWBY had several different combinations among each other (seen as early as halfway through volume one with the giant Nevermore). It's a little underwhelming and Qrow can't follow them around forever, especially now that he's shown himself directly. It's a given but I'm pretty excited to see which of all the many potential directions the series takes.

Also, a little bit late but I agree that you should definitely keep watching if you weren't convinced already, @Alistair since the quality really does just constantly get better and better. Compare the style of what you've seen already to this still image of the best character in the series, taken from the volume 4 intro (there's no spoilers; it's just her face, don't worry). On top of the art and animation improving, volume 3 in particular really does just flip the "plot" switch on halfway through. I feel like the series still has quite a way to go in terms of scale, even now.

@Ikaru ((wow... that's a cool and interesting feature. That I've defs using for a reason and that reason is to not quote your whole but also to see how it works. Ignore this part... and that if you want lol. THought the message in that spiler is defs more for you anyway lel))

Spoiler

I'll be honest... Ika. I told my little bro this earlier, but I hate Weiss's dad so much it's making me like her a loooooot more than I previously did. Like she's shot up HELLA high in the order of my fav characters by like a huge magnitude. Might be my fav of the main cast now. Still might be Blake though... but I dunno. Na, it's probs Weiss at this point. But my LORD I HATE THAT GUY. AHHHHHHHHHHHH. I WANT TO PUNCH HIM IN HIS STUPID SMUG ARROGANT RICH FACE!!! At least we got Ironwood lookin' out for her. ((fucking damn... I used to hate Ironwood, jsut cause I thought he was an idiot and to some degree, sitll is. But gotten around to liking him a lot more these days. Not to mention, he looks much more sexy with that 5'o cloak shadow like... daaaaaaaaaaaaamn. 

Next, note, ye I agree but I dunno entirely. back in the ol' JNPR days #RIPPyhrra, they weren't much coordinated either. But I'm not sure if it's cause they aren't capable or just how a team with some one like Nora on it works LOL. But,maybe the point of this is for the 4 of them to grow as such. After all, they are all going through and probably still in parts reeling over the events that happened at Beacon. ((some more than others such as Jaune for example.)) who knows? They might not really be at full capacity

Dunno, I defs think to some degree we'll probably see RWBY as a whole back together but with how spread out their are at this point I defintiely think it won't be this season. I think the reason RNJR got so beaten... is A. TO show us that our friends of WTCH ain't no stining joke, and B. well that they have a long way to go. Dunno, I think that those 4 are meant to grow as a unit themselves to some degree... this is the fasicanting part though... cause there's SO MANY way the plot could just got at this point. and I'm damn sure looking forward to every minute of it tbh.

Also, was that at Ruby? I couldn't tell if it was her or Jaune he said that line to tbh. And... I've watched it twice. 

And ye, it's defs one of those as it's doing a heck of a lot more worldbuilding. I mean, we just found out about Menagerie etc etc... and that whole area and we're learning a lot about the kingdoms now and AHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Honestly... I'm a nerd for worldbuilding so I'm loving every second of this volume tbh.

Blake will always be my overall favorite. Weiss is at least top 10, but not top 5.

Well damn, Tyrian's a scorpion faunus was pretty good reveal. Even though I was partially spoiled, because the RWBY wikii s a thing, but I can say one thing about his fighting. #FuckingLuchaScorpion

Meanwhile, I've gotta side with Huk on this. Papa Schnee is a fucking asshole. Weiss knows and saw what happened, plus she couldn't control her anger as she had summoned due to said rage and aggression. We also know that Qrow is apparently a bloody shapeshifter. I legit want to see more of Tyrian's fights tbh.

Edited by Sparky
Recently seen the chapter 6 after making a Free RT account

• 3 weeks later...
Spoiler

I already liked Qrow before, but this fight of his against Tyrian was a wonder to watch. It was well choreographied and served to show how skilled both of them are. It even had some bits of humor with Tyrian's surprised look when a disarmed Qrow starts punching him :D

It's the second awesomely executed fight scene involving Qrow, after the Winter fight, and the guy is progressively amassing a good amount of screen time. I'm starting to think someone on the team insists on portraying old uncle Branwen as the coolest badass around. Let's hope this doesn't paint too big a target on his back; I suspect Qrow would be the kind of character to tragically disappear once his purpose is fulfilled, Sirius Black style.

• Global Mods
12 hours ago, Alistair said:
  Hide contents

I already liked Qrow before, but this fight of his against Tyrian was a wonder to watch. It was well choreographied and served to show how skilled both of them are. It even had some bits of humor with Tyrian's surprised look when a disarmed Qrow starts punching him :D

It's the second awesomely executed fight scene involving Qrow, after the Winter fight, and the guy is progressively amassing a good amount of screen time. I'm starting to think someone on the team insists on portraying old uncle Branwen as the coolest badass around. Let's hope this doesn't paint too big a target on his back; I suspect Qrow would be the kind of character to tragically disappear once his purpose is fulfilled, Sirius Black style.

Spoiler

With him being scratched/stung, hopefully that means he has a chance, because people that are too perfect/strong/untouchable always have to get struck down by plot at some point. hopefully he's ok from that wound though, I definitely see some poison-based complications coming but I hope he makes it through ok. He really should've used the scythe mode though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Developers

Okay so I have some thoughts and theories after watching Chapter 9, which I'll stick in a spoiler for the benefit of those that haven't seen it yet.

Spoiler

Okay so first off god dammit Qrow please do not die. You too, Sun. But if I have to choose between them, it's bye bye monkey boy.

Anyway, that aside, seeing all four of team RWBY in one episode was something I didn't expect to see. It was great to see things happening with them all, although it did leave the episode feeling a bit short.

Now for the main thing I want to talk about, Ren.

So he's been a bit weird for a while now. At first, I just thought it was some repressed issues finally bubbling to the surface, which is relatively expected given all the shit that's going down, but Chapter 9 has given me a different idea. He freaks out about destroyed towns, clearly recognises the symbol which it is safe to assume is of Raven's Bandit Tribe, and in this latest occurrence, knew a lot about the town that had been destroyed years prior, and was very adamant indeed about not going there. In the last moments of the episode, we saw the symbol for the Tribe leading down that path as Jaune & Ruby head along it with Qrow. It was around this point that I realised: A Wren is a type of bird. And while I know Ren is his surname, that could easily be a lie. Perhaps he knows so much about the destroyed Kuroyuri because he was there. Because he took part. Maybe he's freaking out because he was part of Raven's bandit-y bird-person tribe, before eventually realising killing is wrong and meeting Nora, going to Beacon, and so on. So yeah, that's my current theory on what's going on with Ren, interested to see if anybody else has thought anything similar.

Otherwise, despite it feeling a bit short because of focusing on all 4 groups, I really liked the latest episode. Weiss Glyph-slamming the door in Shitley's face was pretty damn great. Also the awkward bonding between Blake & her dad was brilliant in Chapter 8. That's all I have to say for now, really. Other than the fact I had really been holding out hope that Whitley was on Weiss' side for a while, but that's looking like a big no.