Ymora Academy Reboot [Interest Check / Discussion]

Chim

What... does that even mean?

It's the same personality, but just with a different gender. I'm guessing Murdoc was asking that as Kage was blind and had a personality that could work for either gender. (I could say something else here, but I will leave my thoughts to myself for once).

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've decided to go with a new character, the only problem I'm having is deciding whether or not to go with a similar backstory. I honestly liked the runaway backstory I had with Slade, it just needed a few tweaks and I feel it would've been fine. Still, it might be redundant doing it over again. :T

I've decided to go with a new character, the only problem I'm having is deciding whether or not to go with a similar backstory. I honestly liked the runaway backstory I had with Slade, it just needed a few tweaks and I feel it would've been fine. Still, it might be redundant doing it over again. :T

I'd say take a different approach. It be a bit strange to make a new character... and then make them the same character pretty much anyway. What motivations they have plays a looooot into the characters and stuff like that from their backstory. So, it's best if your starting new to pick a different thing since you'll probably wlak the same path you did last time if you're not careful. That's my opinion though and it's your character after all.

@Homophobic character: I agree with Murdoc. It can be a good character but only if played well. If you just want to use it to bring edginess, you won't make the cut. If a character was being bullied for having gay parents or even was raised with a strict belief, I can accept that they aren't comfortable around gay people. In this case the PCs have other issues and gay couples reflect those problems, but aren't the subject of hate. If done like that I may consider it as long as there aren't anti-gay comments.

@Prankster: I was considering Liepard... It's one of those Pokémon that can be really interesting to write. (in my opinion)

And the OOC will go up later today. I need Dobby here since he has to claim the third post for a PC overview. But I forgot I have to go to the dentist (ugh -.-') so it may take a little longer.

I'd say take a different approach. It be a bit strange to make a new character... and then make them the same character pretty much anyway. What motivations they have plays a looooot into the characters and stuff like that from their backstory. So, it's best if your starting new to pick a different thing since you'll probably wlak the same path you did last time if you're not careful. That's my opinion though and it's your character after all.

I'm going to kind of stay in the middle on this one. If agreed completely with Huk, I'd be contradicting myself given I've created characters with similar back stories, but completely opposite personalities and actions. Motivations can really separate one character from another even with similar backstories. Exlink if you do go down this path, I suggest twisting it a lot and changing a few events, how they happened, and how it effects the character differently.

@Homophobic character: I agree with Murdoc. It can be a good character but only if played well. If you just want to use it to bring edginess, you won't make the cut. If a character was being bullied for having gay parents or even was raised with a strict belief, I can accept that they aren't comfortable around gay people. In this case the PCs have other issues and gay couples reflect those problems, but aren't the subject of hate. If done like that I may consider it as long as there aren't anti-gay comments.

I can't usually recommend off putting type characters as sometimes they tend to be taken out of context. What I don't ever recommend is putting something in for the sake of spicing it up, but have no explanation of it. But yes, a character like that can be good, but it's difficult to handle.

As for the OOC, I suppose you could say please don't post until Dobby posts (or their comments will get deleted) or Tacps could lock it then unlock when the elf arrives.

Going to the length of actually getting a mod to lock the entire thing until Dobs gets around to it seems like a bit much...

I'm sure a simple message at either the top or bottom of the post in bold red, big ass letters would more than suffice to let people know not to post until right away and to wait. I myself have done it a few times, and they always seemed to work out since they're pretty hard to just overlook given the contrast, hence there's no excuse for not knowing, so...

Going to the length of actually getting a mod to lock the entire thing until Dobs gets around to it seems like a bit much...

I'm sure a simple message at either the top or bottom of the post in bold red, big ass letters would more than suffice to let people know not to post until right away and to wait. I myself have done it a few times, and they always seemed to work out since they're pretty hard to just overlook given the contrast, hence there's no excuse for not knowing, so...

As a forum mod, you eventually learn that people sometimes just won't pay attention. Not to say I don't trust anyone here, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone didn't notice it.

Besides... I can just nuke the post no harm done. ((and explain to the person that they don't want any posts. if it's an app I'll make sure to grab it before I delete it and give it back to them in the PM that way it's not lost as well.)) So yea, we got it handled if it happens Chimmy and Dobbs. No worries.

Besides... I can just nuke the post no harm done. ((and explain to the person that they don't want any posts. if it's an app I'll make sure to grab it before I delete it and give it back to them in the PM that way it's not lost as well.)) So yea, we got it handled if it happens Chimmy and Dobbs. No worries.

That was the other alternative I had in mind but for some reason forgot to mention. But yeah, that can be done.

I'm going to kind of stay in the middle on this one. If agreed completely with Huk, I'd be contradicting myself given I've created characters with similar back stories, but completely opposite personalities and actions. Motivations can really separate one character from another even with similar backstories. Exlink if you do go down this path, I suggest twisting it a lot and changing a few events, how they happened, and how it effects the character differently.

That's actually what I was saying... I just didn't articulate that part about making it very clearly different motivation-wise. Most people aren't very good at that and tend to lapse into a rut with characters it gets harder when you have huge similarities between them. ((motivation... is the hardest thing to write and keep in mind imo... most forget that their character should have those and they should help to dictate their actions to some degree.)) That's where my advice comes from. It's probably just from years of teaching new players that I assume to go with things as such even if I probably shouldn't. I always air to caution rather than well recklessness. I don't want to chuck something to someone that can't handle it. ((since at times... I can't handle that stuff and we all know that I've got some skill. Maybe not a lot, but some XD>))

Dobby is online just in time. I'll make the OOC and go to the dentist. After that I still may tweak some details about RoG but all the rest should be good. And totally not 99% the same as the previous one