Ymora Academy Reboot [Interest Check / Discussion]

Chim

So I have a small announcement.

I'm going to open the OOC and Sign-ups a little early, but this does not mean the RP will start early. My goal is still October 4th (if there aren't any drawbacks when I actually move). The reason for this is that I noticed some people already finished their characters which bring me to the most important part of this post.

Sign-ups will be a lot stricter. I'm going to use Stratos's example and only accept characters that will contribute to the story. If you don't put any effort into creating your character, chances are you won't make the cut unless you're really good at that. But Ymora is a big RP so I'm not going to put a limit on the sign-ups. So by opening the topic a little early, Dobby and I can actually give some feedback about what does and doesn't work for this RP. We won't shut down anyone. We're also aiming for some fresh blood so we don't want to scare away new players. In fact we're going to help them out as much as we can so that they can enjoy themselves as well.

Now there's one more problem I have to address. Normally I would PM, but since that didn't work out last time (I got completely ignored), I'm going to try it this way.

@K_H: Last time you were kicked out. Obviously you start with a clean sheet, but considering the way you behaved and played out your character last time, I'm going to keep an eye on you. First of all I want to make clear that your character will be evaluated like all the others. However I want to see something different from you. I've noticed that in the Pokémon RPs, you tend to go for the same Pokémon every time, give them more or less the same personality and you always nickname them the same way. I have no problems with you going for your favorite Pokémon, but it gets rather boring quickly.

But considering how you played this out last time, I'm going to limit your character when it comes to the available Pokémon. Your character can not start with a Riolu or Zorua. You also won't be able to obtain one unless you show us you can handle their 'abilities'. I do this in order to avoid you powerplaying / solving everything even though your character shouldn't be able to. So no more talking Zorua because of Illusion or a Riolu / Lucario that somehow can sense everything with his aura.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IC.

I can use most of the OOC that I already had. I'm not going to change the history and I'm still going to use the Dragon limitation. A part of this RP was born when they introduced Fairy types because Dragon types were so powerful, so I actually don't have to mess around with details too much. Right now I'm just deleting stuff I'm not going to use anymore and try to limit the wall of text.

The only thing I seem to have lost is my Academy and Region map.

I'll think about signing up. ((I have a feeling I might get swept up in the current though with how fast this one just shot off the first time since I've got a lot of things and don't have the time to post all day XD.))

But yea, might rehash an old character or make a new one. Depends. Thooooooough should I do it now or... wait? That's what I'm confused about lol.

Alrighty then, looking forward to it. Hopefully I'll be ready with something by the time the sign ups come.

And going back and examining mountains of information and details in order to write an entire, concrete alternate history for a Character's life story that's actually feasible ain't easy... don't do it unless you're freaking crazy and have time and energy to spend. And to make it even worse, I'm taking most of the details from memory cause I'm too lazy to search for the PMs in my inbox...

It's fine, I've gotten over the Lucario Craze i had. and having the Zorua was just asking for trouble.

I'm glad to hear that. I'm sure you can enjoy yourself discovering other Pokémon to use.

I'll think about signing up. ((I have a feeling I might get swept up in the current though with how fast this one just shot off the first time since I've got a lot of things and don't have the time to post all day XD.))

But yea, might rehash an old character or make a new one. Depends. Thooooooough should I do it now or... wait? That's what I'm confused about lol.

Wait until the OOC opens. I'm just doing this first since some people already seem to have characters ready or are finishing them. And since I have limited time due to work (I'm currently training a very, very slow new colleague), so it also works in my favor. Now I get extra time to help out new people.

Wait until the OOC opens. I'm just doing this first since some people already seem to have characters ready or are finishing them. And since I have limited time due to work (I'm currently training a very, very slow new colleague), so it also works in my favor. Now I get extra time to help out new people.

Hmmmm, I don't really think that's a good idea. It gives certain players extra time to tweak thing and get their sheets in order. That's really not fair to everyone else who gets in on the second wave. We have less time to prepare and therefore a lot less chance of getting in. I personally think that all sheets should be handled all at the same time rather than giving veterens a better chance jsut cause they played last time if you are really considering the character's in the way Strat did for his more recent RP. Even if they are mostly complete etc... it's still an unfiar edge they have with extra prep time. But, that's my opinion.

Hmmmm, I don't really think that's a good idea. It gives certain players extra time to tweak thing and get their sheets in order. That's really not fair to everyone else who gets in on the second wave. We have less time to prepare and therefore a lot less chance of getting in. I personally think that all sheets should be handled all at the same time rather than giving veterens a better chance jsut cause they played last time if you are really considering the character's in the way Strat did for his more recent RP. Even if they are mostly complete etc... it's still an unfiar edge they have with extra prep time. But, that's my opinion.

Unlike Stratos I don't put a restriction on the amount of players. Dobby and I agree that we can handle a lot of people and normally we won't reach 20 like last time. I think we're going to get 12-15 PCs so everyone can start signing up whenever they want. If they put some decent thought into their character, they are in.

But if they would make a backstory that wouldn't work with the settings for some reason (or any other problem), I can give them a few extra days to fix that problem. (If I open the OOC right now everyone still has 10 days at least)

And people using their old character again already have an advantage so there's nothing I can do about that.

Ah true I suppose. It still feels really iffy though to me... guess it's just the Old Curmudgeon in me lol.

I might reuse Emberly for this... I don't know she's weirdly my easiest to adapt character ((I really don't understand it but it's true and she sorta covers my younger character section. She's just easy to write that way. So might be reused.))

Anyway, I'll wait then... mostly since I don't know that awful much about Ymora. I was kinda not a big part of the first. But, I'd like to at least give it a whack this time instead of just lettin' it slip by lol.

• Support Squad

I'm happy that I've created a new character. Ryan feels so generic to me.

NGL, Ryan was angst in a bottle at times. Understandably, what with the vision of death, but still quite edgy.

@Huk, we can only try to consider all apps equally. If people have more experience as a veteran or time to prepare because they started the work early, that's their dues for starting earlier. All we can do is try to be conscious of the circumstances behind each app. We can't really operationalise a character application to review it exactly lol/

NGL, Ryan was angst in a bottle at times. Understandably, what with the vision of death, but still quite edgy.

I mean, this new character isn't exactly a bubbly character. Maybe through the character development I hope she goes through, she might become that way, but she's got a way to go to get there.

@Huk, we can only try to consider all apps equally. If people have more experience as a veteran or time to prepare because they started the work early, that's their dues for starting earlier. All we can do is try to be conscious of the circumstances behind each app. We can't really operationalise a character application to review it exactly lol/

That's the thing I could properly get one done by now but I don't really have the tools to do so cause I don't have them will people that have played do. Sorta not cool imo... but that's me I suppose. Cause I could write my app probably in about 10 minutes ((which is about how long it usually takes, how long it took me to write Johanna's for Strat's RP in lol.))

I can;t really pull out one if I don't know what I'm supposed to include though. Guess that's what I'm getting at.

I was planning to include that when I actually open the OOC but it's not that different from other RPs.

Name:

Age: 14 (Unless you have an idea for a non student character. If that's the case PM me and Dobs)

Program: Trainer, Breeder, Coordinator

Starting side: Student or RoG (switching sides during the story is allowed)

Appearance:

Personality:

Starter: (level 8, details about the moveset will be released when the OOC gets up)

Backstory: If RoG, include how they recruited your character.

Extra: Not really necessary. Example: Monoteam or not, ...

• Support Squad

Well, everyone sees the new OOC at the same time. The new characters are just ideas that are gonna be moulded to the world. Hell, Chim said he was recycling a lot of the old OOC, you can skim some of that to get an idea of it all. That's what everyone else is working with.

Speaking of the old OOC, is character appearance for the profile being done the same way it was being done in the original Ymora RP?

In a nutshell yes, but everybody is now a student as RoG is dead (well joining RoG that is). But basically, a few character are making a return but a lot of discussion is that there are going to be changes in them based on our experience and to spice it up a bit.

Speaking of the old OOC, is character appearance for the profile being done the same way it was being done in the original Ymora RP?

You mean with that website? Not really, you can use it if you want but describing is fine.