Ymora Academy Reboot [Interest Check / Discussion]

Chim

Cool, I'll probably shoot something your guys way before to awful long. I don't think I be doing anything that breaks the norm ((since... I'd rather have a student perspective at least first lol.))

but maybe I'll try something funky... we'll see. Expect to see something from me sooner or later Chimmy XD.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, the OOC should be up tomorrow. The moveset isn't too difficult but if you're not familiar with Ymora: 6 moves per Pokémon. 4 attacks and 2 support moves are allowed. An attack can also be used as support (Rapid Spin for example which is somewhat useless unless someone actually goes for hazards).

Oh and RoG already infiltrated the Academy if that wasn't clear. That's the one big chance for chapter 1 so you won't miss anything by joining the bad guys.

• Veterans

I'd highly, HIGHLY advise against that. We've had a certain someone who tried to do that before.....needless to say thing's didn't turn out well, for both that and a multitude of other reasons...

Chim forgot to mention no coverage moves (IE Solarbeam for Vulpix) and no moves over 60 BP (or something close to that). Also you can only select moves from the learnset and breeding at the start. I'll just give you Zuko's (Vulpix) starting moveset for an example:

Zuko (Vulpix) Lv 8

Ability: Drought

-Ember

-Feint Attack

-Quick Attack

-Roar

-Tail Whip

It's actually simpler than it looks. Basically, pick weak moves and try to use them in creative ways instead of picking the best moves possible at the start. Seriously, I was able to turn mud-sport into a really useful move.

Edit: NO! NO! NO! JUST BECAUSE SHIPS HAPPEN WE DO NOT ENVOKE PEOPLE TO CREATE CHARACTERS LIKE THAT FOR THAT PURPOSE! We're here to have character interactions not pick something due to shipping. Also, yeah...the last guy who did that...we don't talk about him.

Hm...looking back on the shippings listed prior, I wonder about maybe making a homophobe for some edginess.

*Rubs temples in mild agitation*

for the love of god, don't do it, Darvan.

It won't end well for you, didn't end well with the last guy who thought like that either And like Hukuna said, he ain't gonna let something like that slide. Plus that's shitty writing to just give a character a trait like that and have no justifiable reason whatsoever behind it, and even if you did give one, it still would end badly for you.

I said this quite a bit in the original and all, but...

you guys know that you don't have to nessacarily change your starter just because someone else has the same thing, right? All you'd have to do is put in a bit of work to make them stand out- can be done any number of ways, from making it the opposite gender (If applicable), to making sure it's personality is unique, or... the more cheap and lazy method if all else fails, making it shiny...

So yeah... I usually go for the first two, but will occasionally choose the shiny if it's something I actually find quite nice... ((Like dem black charizards... sadly, none for mareek))

Hell, this time around Mareek's starting with a Sableye. And I know right here and right now that unless everyone and everyone's mother uses it, I'ma still stick with that choice even if there are one or two others. Joker's got enough personality and quirks and virtues to still stand out

Not well, let alone is it ever well written. It's just never an interesting character trait as it's very binary and usually just never good.

That's without... certain things happening... and I'd rather not have a rehash of last time. That shit was a mess and so big of one I had to be drawn in to handle it. ((it's partially why there's two mods for this forum too.))

So, yea, just don't go there Darven. It's best that it left alone. Because it's not really something I want in this sub-forum ((this is for fun and it quickly diminishes when a character is that antagonistic.)) and it just not something I want here. I want every one to feel welcome. That's just how I personally feel about it.

• Support Squad

Hell, this time around Mareek's starting with a Sableye. And I know right here and right now that unless everyone and everyone's mother uses it, I'ma still stick with that choice even if there are one or two others. Joker's got enough personality and quirks and virtues to still stand out

Even with Darklight gone there's still another prankster... Doux will be haappy

Speaking of, I fully intend to rehash Claude. I love the guy, I love Doux and I get a chance to pull a mulligan on any mistakes I made with him?

Lessdoit

Bleh…someone is already using Vulpix? Ehh…back to the drawing board...

I'm just going to be up front, I had more problems than you can imagine with Vulpix as Drought is an ability that has caused many problems. Since I'm the only person who had a weather ability Pokemon, we kind of had to change around some things to get around these issues (I even considered changing Zuko's ability). It is on my to consider list of starters, but I did make a heavy ruleset on Drought to get around the issues in the original. It's both stronger and weaker than the original use, but it makes more sense and less problematic.

Though I will say nothing is final. (If I don't pick Henry, I won't pick Vulpix as a starter either). But yeah, two people having the same starter isn't an issue. Unless someone wants Skitty. Then we have an issue.

If I may chime in: I don't think a homophobic character would necessarily be a bad thing, IF it was done right, i.e. they don't go running around spouting slurs and throwing shit at the LGBT characters. I think it could actually be somewhat interesting, especially if they were otherwise a "good" character overall. But, as the majority has spoken, this is all just my opinion.

sticker,375x360.u1.png

Well that aside, are there gonna be any other restrictions on starters beside Zorua and Riolu, and the pseudo babies? I got a few ideas, but I gotta attend to the rest of the sheet (among other things) first.

EDIT: That's one reason why I like you Murdoc. Being able to look at the other side of things.

Edited by Darvan Korematsu

• Support Squad

If I may chime in: I don't think a homophobic character would necessarily be a bad thing, IF it was done right, i.e. they don't go running around spouting slurs and throwing shit at the LGBT characters. I think it could actually be somewhat interesting, especially if they were otherwise a "good" character overall. But, as the majority has spoken, this is all just my opinion.

Strictly speaking, we have had one character, Allvin, have a slight aversion to Claude and gravitate, coincidentally I think, to female bug types. Closest we came to it really.

Don't count out my character's pokemon.

Also yeah, I'd be fine with a homophobic character if it didn't define him as a person. Main reason I'd be against it is because our last person was legitimately using homophobic slurs in the OOC before his character even had the chance to start. I also feel the need to mention that he was eventually banned from the forums.

Speaking of, I fully intend to rehash Claude. I love the guy, I love Doux and I get a chance to pull a mulligan on any mistakes I made with him?

Lessdoit

Oh lord no bro... I'm not going anywhere near Prankster. Running Keen Eye- it's got a far better connection to the backstory between the two than prankster ever could, and it fits far better with the type of character I intend Joker to be.

the Zorua/Riolu Restriction is just for me, IIRC.

I'm just going to be honest here. I don't really want to see a talking and illusion making Zorua after that whole thing from anyone. If someone wants to use it, keep it to the game mechanics and not have it talk.