The Ones Left On The Table: Worst Starters

Chase

Anyway, a lot of starters are being repeated here. Looks like if there are no personal issues, the choices will be the same.

Here is my top 5 most disliked

5. Pikachu - unofficially, since I don't have anything bad to say about starters other than the four below. Besides that hate that mouse in general.

4. Fennekin - I don't really mind the first two stages. It's the Delphox that ruined the design. That ear hair are horrible

3. Tepig - yay, another fire/fighting starter! And worse then the previos two as well! I say no to Bacon.

2. Charmander - I'm still salty about it's mega forms. There are other pokemon who could get one, but no! Everyones favourite lizard had to get a new shiny form with blue flames! Even when the Yzard was perfectly fine as a mega.

1. Chicorita - ahhh Chicorita, poor thing. So underwhelming. I know it's useful when used right. But plainly every other choice is a better one.

I gonna answer them by gen k

Gen1-Squirtle:in gen 1 I always don't pic water type starter because there're other good water type out their like Vaporeon,Poliwag line and Lapras even if it's low level by no big deal so no water starter for gen 1 and the reason I don't hate Pikachu is I use him quite a lot in game actually when I fight againt Blue or whatever his name is I finish his last mon with Pikachu and it's always satisfy when I finish the game with my starter

Gen2-Chicorita:no need to say anything everyone know that Chicorita can't do any good in GSC or even HGSS I didn't mean it's not good Chicorita can fight and can be with you till you fight Red like Glitch did but Cyndaquill and Tootodile is so much better

Gen3-Treeko:I don't hate Treeko well actually Treeko is my favorite starter from Gen3 but he's the weakest out of all 3 starter,Torchic,Mudkip=2 typed and have good move,Treeko=1 typed and most of the move is grass type

Gen4-Piplup:I never finish Gen4 game before but from what I can see and hear people talking about these game Chimchar look dump and same type as Torchic but it can be powerful at the final part of the game,Turtwig is grass,grass is weak but when he become ground type he become a beast,Piplub...water/steel it's not a good type more weakness and it's move is not that good at all like the only steel type move that it can learn is Steel Wings and it can learn some flying type move which is not necessary at all there're Powerful Starapter out there that better have better move that Piplup move,I don't hate Piplup,he's cute and cute enough to be Dawn partner but he's SUCK!

Gen5-Snivy:look cool doen't mean it's good as most of people don't like Tepic more but he's still useful as an attacker even if he's slow but Snivy is a tanker and debuffer which isn't my play style,coil to make it tanker andheal over and over again by sucker other mon hp isn't bad but it's boring(for me)

Gen6-Fennekin:I like Fox.I like Fennekin and a lot too but when it's evolve it's not good even with powerful move most of it Psychic move is unnecessary because there're other good psychic type out there that can make psychic move damage better,Chespin is also bad but not useless I seen him in online battle sometime but Dephox,well I'm sure some people play online battle with it too but not much

5. Tepig - Even though I was tired of the fire/fighting starters at this point, once this mon got reckless, I've been a little interested in it. Also I kinda like it's design.

4. Fennekin - I honestly can't think of any other starter that could be put here. The Fennekin line used to be cool...well, that is until I saw Delphox. So this one is kinda just here. I don't hate it but it's just a starter I don't think I'll ever use to be honest.

3. Squirtle - Never really fond of it. Used it once, got bored of it pretty quickly. Also, Blastoise has been somewhat of a villian to me (specifically in my Fire Red nuzlocke).

2. Piplup - I used to like Piplup but then I tried using it and well, I just always felt a bit awkward making a moveset for this mon for some reason. Also, when it evolved into Empoleon, I thought it was gonna gain a secondary typing that could give it more moves to work with to beat Torterra, y'know like how Infernape was a Fire/Fighting which had fighting type moves to beat Empoleon, while Torterra was Grass/Ground so it could just earthquake Infernape, while Empoleon doesn't really gain anything offensively well against Torterra. I know it could get Ice Beam through TM and learn Drill Peck but I wish it had a STAB move that would put it on an even playing field with Torterra. Its just something that bothers me.

1. Chikorita - I really feel bad for Chikorita. It is really unfortunate that it had to be in the Johto region where it's only sorta effective against one gym leader, that being Chuck, but only because his best pokemon is Poliwrath. In every other gym (except Whitney) it will not be of much use at all. Also, it's a bit of insult to injury when Team Rocket mostly uses poison types, so it's not really great against them either. So yeah, you'll probably not use it for like 80% of your time through out Johto (unless your insane and decide to do a solo run with it). It does have some good use as a support but I don't really like a starter being used mostly as a support.

5- Torchic. I like the torchic line, but its over-popularity ruined it for me.

4- Fennekin. I like Delphox, but the first two in the line are just generic foxes.

3- Tepig. Too much detail on the design, especially Emboar. Would have been better if it has a more simple design, like the squirtle line.

2- Snivy. Boring and uninspired in my opinion. No charm at all.

1- Oshawott. Can't stand it, it's so boring. Woah a cool water animal thing that's like a ninja. And oshawatt isn't cute at all

Edited by Qoseph

• 1 month later...

Gen One:

Umm...I use them all...Maybe Squirtle is my least-used Gen-1 Starter?

Gen Two:

Totodile, though I do use him, just not as much.

Gen Three:

Treecko

Gen Four:

All of them.

Gen Five:

Have a love/hate relationship with these starters...that being so I love/heart them all equally.

Gen 6:

Chespin

The Chikorita line is actually my favorite starter line...it's really not the most useful line, but I just like them. Perhaps the only line where I don't completely ignore the design and only focus on usefulness (which is why I can like Delphox).

For everything else, I dislike Froakie and Chespin, I pity Oshawott and "pity" Sceptile, and absolutely loathe all gen 1 starters.

-Greninja is not even that hard-hitting, Protean and it's high speed make it more of an annoyance than anything.

-Chesnaught is...Chesnaught. Everything about it screams annoying staller, from the stats, over the movepool, to the ability. And that's what you get~

-Samurott's tale is a sad one. Great movepool, great offensive stats (by starter standards) and pretty equal offensive stats so you can run it both ways. But it has no speed and the fact that Razor Shell, something I'd see as the perfect signature-move for it, was also given to Shelder. As if they didn't even consider it deserving of a neat move to help it out, like it was doomed to suck since day one.

-With Sceptile...well, I'd feel bad for this Special attacker getting barely any special moves, but they gave it a Mega that cranks up it's offensive stats like crazy, so it's back to neutral in my book. And hey, at least it's not in a situation like Kyurem-B, not having ANY physical Ice-STAB.

-I absolutely loathe the gen 1 starters. Really. Firstly, you have people (mostly genwunners) that go nuts the moment one of them is even mentioned, to the point that just listening to them for more than 2 second can make you hate them, even if you don't know what they are at that point (hence why I will never ever ever watch Star Wars)(hence why I also depsise Blaziken).

Next up, they're not even that good! Look at their stats, you have Blastoise that's got some bulk, but has pathetic offenses.

Venusaur is just as sad offensively since it doesn't even have a Poison STAB without TMs/Breeding. Or a really good special Grass STABs. What it's moveset does get is a bunch of stall-tools. Ew.

Charizard has alright offensive stats, but they're nothing to write home about and it's movepool is terrible. It's Gen 6 and it still doesn't get Air Slash unless you Heart Scale it! It does have Dragon Dance, but it's pitiful with that Attack stat. There's no reason to keep it, just replace it with any Flying or Fire type you happen to find, chances are it'll be much better. Hell, Heatmor is better! Slightly worse bulk, better overall offensive stats, great coverage with stuff like Giga Drain, Sucker Punch, Superpower, etc. It's speed is maybe the only real issue, but even then, Heatmor can work in Trick Room, Charizard is in that limbo where it's too fast for TR, too slow outside of it.

-And the Megas just make it worse. Venusaur is the most disgusting staller in the entire game IMO, Blastoise got coverage so many would kill for just cause it's a beloved Gen1 starter that also gets a Mega, and with Charizard, why the hell does it get 2 Megas???

Everything else is fine. Even as many people seemingly dislike Emboar, it is ugly, but it's alright. Hits really hard with stuff like Reckless Flare Blitz, gets Sucker Punch to help it's speed along, etc.

Just purely based on looks, my worst 5 are:

5: Mudkip

Mudkip is adorable, Marshtomp is a little on the ugly side, and Swampert looks cool. But Mega-Swampert? Ugh. Those arms just look horrible. If he was on all fours it'll be acceptable.... but ugh.

4: Bulbasaur

I love Bulbasaur. It's just so damn adorable. Ivysaur begins to look more cool than cute, but Venusaur... I really can't blame GF much for it, since I have no idea about any other possible sprite, but it just looks too damn fat. And Mega Venusaur is basically the same as normal Venusaur.

3: Cyndaquil

This is becoming sort of a trend. Cyndaquil is adorable, hands down the best Gen 2 Starter there is. but.... Typhlosion on two legs doesn't stand well with me (pun not intended.) I'd prefer him if he was on all fours and stood to attack, instead of vice-versa.

2: Tepig

Another trend. When tepig evolves.... Ew. Two legged pigs just look so.... egh. Emboar looks better, as he looks kinda powerful but it just doesn't flow well. Heatmor looks more like Tepig's evolution than Emboar...

1: Chespin

Chespin is brilliant. But WHAT THE HELL IS QUILADIN. I swear, chespin takes on a Caterpie - Metapod - Butterfree Evolution, except for the fact that Chesnaught looks like the Hunchback of Notre Dame. GF, please. Why. (I hope Clemonts Chespin doesn't evolve in the anime. PLEASEEE)

Edited by wytch_doctr

Yeah I think Typhlosion looks the worst out of his line. His colors look weird due to how they're patterned and on two legs, he exchanged quilava's awesome flaming mohawk for a collar and doesn't look all that fast either. I always thought he looked underdeveloped and weird especially comapred to the other two starter forms(though I don't get Meganium losing it's head leaf).

• 4 years later...

Many people hate delphox because of its design...I dont get it what do you exxpect from a last evolution looking cute like a baby...Its a nice design it turned into a witch bcz it is a witch......As for my worst starter i gues samurott cause it doesnt do anything other than having a great movepool

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, I'm offended. Delphox is probably my favorite fire starter. I don't think we have any other "mage" pokemon, at least not with a wand and everything. And delphox's mage aesthetic and its fire powers work together so naturally. I just don't see how anyone can dislike it.

Anyway, my five least favorite starters...

5) Samurott. It was a missed opportunity for a water/fighting starter. Instead, it had to be pure water (thanks, Emboar) and its design was so bland as a result. It deserved so much better.

4) Typhlosion. What is there to its design? It's just a badger. On fire. Or sometimes not even on fire, looking at its later models.

3) Meganium. I'm probably biased, because it's the only grass starter who isn't badass at all, and instead is a nice healer. Still, I think the design is relatively bland. Oh, you're a "cute" grass type that's benevolent and gives off a sweet scent? Get in line, so many Pokemon do that better than you.

2) Emboar. Let me preface this by saying that I get why Blaziken and Infernape were both fire/fighting, and why Incineroar was fighting type-adjacent. In general, little kids might want to know what they're getting into when they pick a starter. Many might not know what each starter will turn into, and just choose based on the type. Kids who choose the fire starter will probably want a "badass" and "aggressive" starter. Blaziken, Infernape and Incineroar all fit the bill, so I can forgive them for having similar designs.

That excuse, however, doesn't apply to Emboar. Its design and dex entries don't imply that it's an aggressive fighter. It's more laid back, like Torterra and Chesnaught. Which would be fine, except why make it a bipedal fighting type? We already have two of those (three counting Incineroar), and again they actually have an excuse.

Emboar could have just as easily been a quadruped fire/ground type. This would have also allowed Samurott to be water/fighting, and not be on this list. And to top it off, the Tepig evolutionary line has such dumb names.

1) Charizard. Let me preface this by saying that Charizard was once one of my favorite Pokemon. That was before Gen 6. Since then, Game Freak has just been shoving it down our throats. And every time they force that damn Pokemon in front of us, it makes me more aware of the design's flaws. Venusaur was a cool plant monster that wasn't quite flora or quite fauna. Blastoise had awesome cannons on its back. Charizard? It was just a generic western dragon. I guess it had a flame on its tail, but that's it. And it was completely monochromatic (being a Gen 1 mon is no excuse, just look at Venusaur). Please Game Freak. Stop giving Charizard the spotlight every generation, or even casual fans will start to hate it.

Edit: whoa, I didn't even realize how old this thread was. No wonder there were none from Gen 7 or 8 on anyone's list