Pokémon Reborn Hardcore!

Solarance

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if I told you that I wasn't' the champion of CoM

Oh, it's the scientist, isn't it? OK, no biggie. I didn't save, so all I gotta do is defeat you again (fun boss battle, it was amazing) then fight the science guy. Only reason I didn't is because I thought I was outside the CoM and was done.

Hey! Um, I just did something on a non-recorded run, and I found something new (SPOILERS):

I beat the fake Corey, and all of his Pokemon have fled. Is there anything else I can do, or is it over for now? I'm just up to the Shade battle, by the way.

Hey! Um, I just did something on a non-recorded run, and I found something new (SPOILERS):

I beat the fake Corey, and all of his Pokemon have fled. Is there anything else I can do, or is it over for now? I'm just up to the Shade battle, by the way.

I won't tell you anything except for two hints that there are two ways to miss a certain Pokemon. You need to do that event before collecting ANY of the others. The second thing is to make sure to do everything before Agate and you know the event when you see it.

Also as a quick update, I'm having war with my computer and I might need to turn it in. Hopefully I can get it up, but don't worry about Hardcore. Data wise I'm really only going to lose a little bit of progress on the fights worse comes to worse.

• 2 weeks later...

So long time no talk. So I tested something out that seems to work but I can't make any promises what'll happen with it. As it stands, I have figured out how to swap characters around so that you could play as someone such as Shelly and freely switch back to the player. It's quite a bit of work that probably will mean I actually need more than just me working on the mod.

I really want thoughts and ideas on this concept because I don't want to waste a whole bunch of time delaying Hardcore E16 if nobody is really going to use this addition since it could potentially require a massive overhaul of the game.

I've seen some of these flashback scenes being done in a game called "The last word". Anyway it was essentially you playing as someone else with set stats (which could be Pokemon in this case) fighting some other dude (which was usually stronger than you) while also giving some backstory.

Sort of a challenge battle in which you have to come up with a strategy to win based on your Pokemon as well as your opponents'. So not really beat the same game with this character but more like beat this one battle with this character.

I don't know if this requires actively switching around your characters (and if switching around your own Pokemon is doable or maybe that's what you meant by playing as Shelly), but that's what first came to mind.

Edit: This doesn't have to be a flashback of course.

Edited by Pietvergiet

I have a feeling that this new feature is definitely the party-character-switching kinda thing as most RPG games have, right? If so, I'm not too surprised that it's possible. In fact, I embrace it. Maybe there can be a Team Meteor arc, who knows. Plus, it'd be fun to use a PULSE

I have a feeling that this new feature is definitely the party-character-switching kinda thing as most RPG games have, right? If so, I'm not too surprised that it's possible. In fact, I embrace it. Maybe there can be a Team Meteor arc, who knows. Plus, it'd be fun to use a PULSE

Sorry I had to do that update on a phone and the fact I can be understood on a phone would be a miracle. While most RPGs do that, they don't have restraints called Pokemon Essentials preventing them from using half the systems in place to do such a concept since well each player technically has unlimited party members when you think about it, but can only bring six. My idea was more along the lines of having access to a few different characters and teams just mostly for the heck of it (and so they aren't worthless as well).

That's kind of the first stage: let people play as other characters and see how that works out though it's more of a fun thing since well it'd be hilarious to do a fern vs fern scenario (since I'd pretty much give you the character after you partner with them...or after a certain point in the story ie Route 1 for Fern, Victoria after the Solaris fight, Shelly after the orphanage fights). Basically there'd be an option in the menu screen to switch to any character unlocked at any point (I may still do this for E16, but that's about it). There's a lot of little things that should be worked out before I attempt that though.

The episode backstories is definitely a concept I'd love to do, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to do them all by myself since that requires a ton of work (mostly because I'd have to re-event maps entirely since we ain't adding that much content over and over again). That'd kind of be like the whole Explorer of Skies episodes in a sense. Lot of work but 90% of it would be transferable except for the overworld sprite stuff. But if I had to do an episode for a meteor grunt, it'd go like this:

"In a world where everything has been corrupted by people, one team has stood up to face this injustice and put a permanent end to its reign. That team is none other than the great team meteor. But even they cannot achieve this without the help of a hero. Though that hero came in an unexpected form of one of their own. A grunt, no, a nobody who has yet to live up to that potential. That hero is me: Grunt Burne, gruntiest of grunts. My partner, Willie, and I were sent a mission, one that would change my life forever: destroy all means of escape for the people in this wretched city.

So Willie and I headed down to the Railway of Ever Growing Infections to put an end to the oncoming flocks using out Red Candles of a Brighter Future. I was going to be the brave man to set the sacred relics in their place, but Willie stopped me. He told me, 'Grunt, I've known you for a long time, but...you have so much ahead of you. Me, on the other hand, is stuck in this prison with a Zubat screeching in my ear every day never stopping for a minute. I begged him to stop again and again, but he always just keeps screeching. I'm tired of this. I want to be free so please, let me be the one to do this.'

Willie's words didn't make sense to me as I always had my Zubat in his ball, but I trusted him. So I stood guard as Willie entered the devil's pin to serve those demon's justice. I waited and saw a demon approaching in hot from the other world. Before I knew it, the candles had delivered their justice filling the sky with their fiery passions burning the demons to crisp. I waited for a minute for my partner to return, but he was nowhere to be found. I hollowed for him with all my might, but to my surprise, a trap was waiting for me. Five men in blue cut off any means of escape. With my highly trained combat skills, I was able to take two down, but even a hero has his limits. All I remember is seeing one the size of a bear before losing a grip on reality.

Willie was a free man. I, however, was not."

Hey! I was planning on mentioning a few of the Pokemon Reborn Hardcore sidequests on TV Tropes, but I had a quick question about the Corey Sidequest:

I noticed that "the ring" the Not-Corey wanted was Heather's Ruby Ring. Would its dialogue be different if I brought it the Ruby Ring instead? If so, I'd like to put it under "Developer's Foresight".

• Veterans

Hey! I was planning on mentioning a few of the Pokemon Reborn Hardcore sidequests on TV Tropes, but I had a quick question about the Corey Sidequest:

I noticed that "the ring" the Not-Corey wanted was Heather's Ruby Ring. Would its dialogue be different if I brought it the Ruby Ring instead? If so, I'd like to put it under "Developer's Foresight".

It is different, yes.

Aww, looks like I'm caught. Yeah, I don't know if it's a curse or a blessing that I try to think of every scenario a player could go through and especially with this quest, to find the least amount of ways people can screw themselves over for the haunter (which will be unmissable when Ghastly gets released).

Aww, looks like I'm caught. Yeah, I don't know if it's a curse or a blessing that I try to think of every scenario a player could go through and especially with this quest, to find the least amount of ways people can screw themselves over for the haunter (which will be unmissable when Ghastly gets released).

Wow. Kudos to you; you sure put a lot of time into this quest!

Also, I love the text for when you get Swalot.

U managed to find a life orb?

It's a rare held item on wild absol, of which there is only one.

The only reason I included that is because I had the code sitting there anyways since I needed to do something for a no item run. It's untested so who knows what it looks like. I don't think you need perfect mons to beat it but you likely will need solid teams if you attempt it. Like pick the best mons you can kind of solid. On a side note, I'll allow people to mod or edit Hardcore if they wish to better flesh out insanity mode since I won't do anything with it. (Just PM me if you're interested and I'll give you a full rundown how to do it.

Well, I beat the ZEL/Taka double battle which was one of the most challenging fights for me on regular Hardcore thanks to using Emolga to Baton Pass a +6 Evasion stack to Combusken, so I feel like it's definitely going to be doable if I continue cheesing fights with this

I'd be interested in seeing the trainer stats for planning purposes tho

So just as a progress update, the multiple characters mini project is going quite nicely. The bulk of the scripting is done other than where the Pokemon are from (cause I don't think you want them all to be from the johto region).

I'm sure there are some concerns about healing and that. The good news is that pokemon centers and healing machines heal all party members. Outside of that such as light shards, it'll only heal one character's. The trainer card also changes though it only changes the name, ID and sprite.

I'm still unsure whether or not I should give nonplayer characters a boosted 1.5 exp but we'll let beta testers decide that. That's just part of polishing since it demands quite a bit for something like this to work.

I may do a hardcore release of this, but I do kind of have plans to also add a mod of regular reborn for E16 since we'll this more of a groundwork concept since well people might want to use this framework for mods or other fangames.

Now in terms of how people can help, I actually need spriters. As a personal rule, I won't create a party member unless they have a backsprite so that limits me to whatever reborn partners the player with. Another thing is that I kind of need someone to flip all the vs sprites, but that's a minor thing I can probably do myself. The last thing I'd like to have a few of is over world sprites for fishing surfing etc. Backsprite are likely the only one I'll give something for, but anyone who does any of the above I mentioned will get credit.

Hi, I've recently started playing Reborn Hardcore, and have just finished defeating Corey. I'm sorry if this question has been answered but during my first battle with him (which did not go well) he had different pokemon to the second time I battled him (after some level grinding). In the first battle he started with a Qwilfish and had a Swallot, Scolipede and a Nidoqueen. In the second battle he did not have those four, and instead had Nidorina, Skrelp, Croagunk and Grimer. His pokemon were also 4-6 levels lower than what it was previously. Was there a reason for this?

Edited by GalacticMarshmallow

I'm going to guess you downloaded 2.3 or whatever the non heavy mod version number is. Unlike CoM which is hardcore plus a load of additional content this run can be swapped and saves can work on Reborn with no issues. What happened is that you actually ran the region version of Reborn since that is the team he uses there. Downloading CoM should resolve this problem but make sure to download 1.51...or wait and see if I make another CoM release.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit:

So how about I give you guys a bit of an update on what I've been doing...and why the project is halted for an unknown amount of time. So basically yesterday my laptop decided to just break in all new kinds of ways. I wasn't expecting it to go that badly but my computer was already having issues so perhaps this is me just suffering for ignoring the signs. Does that mean Hardcore is completely done and over with.

Nope! Due to beta testing I have a backup so I'll only lose about 2% of all the data and features (like a couple bug fixes and one trainer in total). The playable characters addition...is a different story. Should I not be able to recover this (I hope to god I can), we'll likely see a very pissy Commander for a week or two recoding that entire thing. Though for probably the next week or two, I won't have access to hardcore.

So just as precaution for the next week or two, please make sure you either have Reborn 15 or Hardcore 2.1 while playing CoM 1.51 just in case some game breaking glitch happens (it shouldn't but you can never be too safe). I won't be able to edit or fix save files for a while...well I can if it gets really bad but it's a bit complicated. I was going to take better pics of this, but not much I can do. Here's some screenies to showcase what to look forward to:

ec9943105986d792ed1191d3f8f34788.png12fb2f30b679932c1713f73ef956447e.pngd9e61bcf9a1dbbd5fb21d33a11a09612.pngd207b64445c42ca716fa8d1643bca801.png7e98789c837ee92b169e4023ceb65ae8.pnga666a259c7f28af0828c99026e51fc93.png

(how to fail a gifs)

73cea0ab1e1ab14329410ab375c3fefb.gif

I'm going to guess you downloaded 2.3 or whatever the non heavy mod version number is. Unlike CoM which is hardcore plus a load of additional content this run can be swapped and saves can work on Reborn with no issues. What happened is that you actually ran the region version of Reborn since that is the team he uses there. Downloading CoM should resolve this problem but make sure to download 1.51...or wait and see if I make another CoM release.

Thank you, I will try CoM :)

That's really impressive and cool. Would swapping characters affect badge count? Or would it be more of a way to just try something new or play as a different character through the game?

Basically I won't change badges, pokedex, or the bag as those things, while not hard to do, get really messy and complicated for such a minor thing (lots of little details will change as a touch though). Just think of it as being able to play as a character with a fixed team that you can swap out at any time. Let's say the player is about to wipe so you could switch to Fern and fight that one trainer inbetween you and the Pokemon Center. If you swap back to the player before healing, they'll still be in the red.

Consider the player like a wild card in which they can use any pokemon they want and not be forced with a limited selection. On the downside, their actual Pokemon tend to be weaker than the party members but more balanced. It's a system I think people should play with as I do intend to use controlling multiple party members in a certain scenario which will be a pain to event but so worth it.