What Does Your Name Mean?

I always wondered to myself on certain forums why people pick the names they do. I always wonder to myself, why did I choose my current name above infinite possiblities? The question I put forth today is why did you choose your UN and what does it mean?

For myself, Darvan is my furry persona's name, and Korematsu is just a name I pulled off Wikipedia that I remembered from US History in the case "Korematsu vs. United States". I chose thjs combination, because it fuses for a full well-spun name.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was looking for a good Japanese-y sounding name for my twitter account, and the UN: Sinikuro seemed to have a nice ring to it :P and so i stuck to it...

a while back, i was part of another forum that had nothing to do with pokemon (it was a minecraft server) (this was like 5 years ago i think)

and i chose the name "uhduh13" why, because i was a pretty sassy person back then...LOL

if someone was to really dig deep into my history, around a decade ago, i was on club perguin *gasp* and i was really young back then, back then i was into the anime *gasp* Naruto and as my simplistic childhood mind could figure out, Sasuke's chidori is *gasp* blue! so on club penguin, my UN owen was her? was "BluThunder12" yep.

TL;DR:

Present: Sinikuro

5 years ago: "uhduh13"

a decade ago: "BluThunder12"

Edited by Sinikuro013

My dad used to call me Foovy( to this day idk where Foovy came from but alright dad) when i was a kid and one day i was making my first account for something( i believe it was also club penguin i was 6 at the time) and i asked my dad what name i should pick and as u guys probably guessed he said Foovy. Sooner or later I made a xbox account named Magnetic Droid(again idk) and then like 2 years after that i made a new account named Void D3stroyer( for the third and last time idk) and that is my league name as well now. Trying to think of something that is one word that sounds cool that is unique and different but for now that is the ending of the story.

Well mine is kind of stupid,but oh well. They started calling me Sheriff in high school after a big fight between a few people broke up and I somehow managed to calm down both sides. After that, and by seeing the way I was sitting relaxed in the classroom like some old sheriff in a small town,the name just came itself. And the "crazy" came on my mind when I was making an account in some game and sheriff was already taken. Now I am using this name pretty much everytime I register someone :)

My name is actually fairly simple, but it still took me a long time to decide it. While in the first place I was trying to make a longer name, possibly including numbers; I decided that to join this forum, Pokemon Showdown or Steam my name should have been short, but still original... so I thought about my favourite Pokemon and tried to start form there. My favourite Pokemon is Porygon-Z, but it didn't work this well and I decided to change Pokemon, this time picking Breloom - my favourite Pokemon to use in online battles, as it is the member I chose first of my first competitive team, and a Pokemon that actually has also the colours of the Italian flag (just details :D)

I tried to "fuse" Breloom with anything really, and I thought about my favourite colour - something actually simple - which is Cyan... (Also inspired from the Lumia Cyan update). It actually sounded pretty good so I went with it, even though I had some doubts at the beginning.

So, "Cyan Breloom" became Cyaloom.

Right now I use the name "Cyaloom" basically everywhere, except on Steam - I frequently change my name there, and right now it is F2P (because I am a F2P in Team Fortress 2).

But what if I picked Porygon-Z? It could be something like "Cyarigon"...

My name consists of the following:

Invader Zim ---> Zim(in)vader ---> Zimvader

Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy ---> Answer to Life, the Universe and Everything ---> 42

Zimvader + 42 = Zimvader42

And that's how I got muh name. Which is kinda pointless since pretty much everyone calls me just "Zim". I have sticked with this one for pretty much every place, forum, web or game that I've come across ever since.

Before this one, I used to go by the names difteriaX6 and electronX6. Why, I have no idea actually. Stupid nicknames you think are "cool" and "super-awesome" I guess XD

Shing...bit weird to explain.

I was mostly in street fighter and the character akuma. Akuma was probably one of my favourites from the series.

When akuma had purple ki, people called akuma for "shin" akuma.

I really like the name "shin", also i took research a bit what it means. It means true, new, belief etc based of wikipedia.

I added a g in the end for it fit. So Shing is explaining enough.

I was also into kanji and japanese/chinese in that time too.

If i would have other usernames than Shing, it would be:

- Blowi

- Silent

• Support Squad

A very similar topic was started a while ago. I know this is one cuz I specifically remember Ark making it.

My reasoning is in my profile thinger, though it does need updating. That shiz is pretty old now.

Well I've been using my forum name as a username since who knows how long. The first three letters are somewhat related to my initials, 2000 is probably the year I came up with this thing, and I have no idea what the rest means. DarkSpite (my alias and what I prefer to be referred to as on the internet, or simply Dark) is what I named my first character on Grand Fantasia (an MMO published by Aeria Games that I used to play). It's just the edgiest thing I could think of that would fit a necromancer (the class I wanted to specialize as). Lastly, my real name Vijay is an old Sanskrit word that means victory. It's a common Indian name.

My experience with online games started mostly with fighting games, where I would try to pull off the biggest, fattest, juiciest combos...

got a reputation for it in those communities so the name seemed appropriate(ish), and the name stuck even though I retired from most of those games.

Step parents gave me a legal name change for my birthday after winning custody when I was like 11 or 12. What every kid wants, amirite?

Looking back I'm glad I didn't try to name myself something weird like Fang or Maximum or Captain Terror.

when i wanted to start a tumblr blog a few years ago, i wanted to use the term 'point blank' in my name cause it sounded cool. at this time i was really into submas (the subway masters of unova) and was watching videos of submas stuff on youtube as i pondered another word to go with point blank. i then came across a submas video with (i think) a vocaloid song called ERROR. and then i put pointblankerror as my tumblr url and used it everywhere since.

BUT before i was pointblankerror back when i was a weeaboo (shudders) i was known as FMAfanfreak. (FMA standing for fullmetal alchemist.)

If you look back in my back in ama, I have my reason why I selected this name. But I will explain. It started with Battlefield and youtubers. One Bf youtuber went by with TheRa1der as his origin name. One day when I was signing for psn, after 3 name failure, Omega_Ra1der came in mind and I proceeded to use it. You could it is my name persona.

Fact: Omega Raider in the wolf pack means weak raider.

Also, I have variants of this name. Steam, I am frequently changing it. Current one is Omega_Groudon30

Edited by OmegaRa1der

My current one is as described by my last status: I got sick of the fruitless search for a good avatar>I made my avatar the first stupid thing that came to mind>I made every part of my profile stupid puns, name and title courtesy of a joke Mael made on said status.

Before I hit a wall in trying to find a good avatar, I was using "Etesian" for almost as long as I've been here. That one's a pseudo-reference to MGRR, which named it's main bosses after regional winds from their countries of origin. I'm Serbain, not Greek, but we're almost neighboring countries and "Košava" doesn't sound as good IMO.

• Veterans

Well,a long time ago,in a dimension close to here.

In fact it was this one,something happened.

I misspeled the word:Axel,because my key board was broken and it became Azer.

I thought it needed a suffix so I wrote it as Azery later on. BAM insta username :P

My name was actually a name I picked for a country in a game. Some time later, put the two parts of the name together, replaced the X with a Z, and I am now the Zetaark that most people probably don't know.

I've explained my before as well. But uh... it was at first because I typo'd Hakuna and didn't realize it, but I liked the corruption and just stuck with it ((since it was easy to get for a username spelled wrong lol.))

to explain the whole of it though. Hukuna is part of Hakuna Mattata, quite a Wonderful phrase, that ain't no passin' Craze. It means no worries for the rest of your days, It's a Proooooblem Freeeeeeeeee, Philosopyyyyyy!!!~ Okay... I'll stop XD. But I really picked it for that reason. I am a pretty care-free dude who just goes with the flow and I love the Lion King. ((I'd be Timon 100% though. Got a nice little bit of sass in me.))

Fulmine is part of a longer nickname of mine, Lupo di Fulmine, which means Wolf of Lightning. There is a long story behind it, that I don't tell very often since I got it from a group of friends of mine and it is sorta a personal thing between the whole of us so it is hard to explain out of context lol.

Alright guys, I will explain what all of my 40 alt names are about and why I'm a name addict who can't stick to one. Here we go.

rofl hell no. I'm just going to explaining my two primary aliases, DestructiveSkitty and Reignited'Light.

DestructiveSkitty

Playing Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness one day, and every time I did the starter selection, I got Skitty. I never liked Skitty the first time, but I just went with it because god forbid me to get anything else. So eventually, as time went by playing the game, I grown attached to Skitty, and taught it some awesome moves like Blizzard, Sing, Assist, etc. It killed a whole bunch of shit, so I thought that was pretty cool.

Reignited'Light

I was watching some OUAT, and the show brings a lot of happiness to me, since it influences that happy endings are really good. I believe that Light is a happy ending. Reigniting the light from the darkest of voids sounded pretty cool, so that's my current forum name lol.

*Looks at name*

qUPq20m.jpg?1?1280.jpg

Just a nickname~

It it helps you in anything (disclaimer: it won't), at first I thought you named yourself like that dog that replaced Brian in family guy for three episodes only. I mean now it is obvious that both things have no relation XD, but dunno there was a time where I saw the name vinny and related it.

But yeah some nicknames don't need an explanation, and some don't have one.

• Administrators

Amethyst is just my actual name so i'm not usually very creative.

I did choose to go by Ame (ah-may) for short is cuz it fits in with that, and it's the Japanese word for rain, something I've been really spiritually connected to for a long time.

...And right now I'm Poptart because Hilda apparently like Poptarts and that makes me one. I guess.