Official Gym Leader Help Thread

Deleted User

Hello! I am having some Difficulty with Shelly Honestly.

My Team

Braixen lv: 34

[Ability : Blaze]

[Nature: Adamant]

- Psyshock

- Flame Charge

- Ember

- Pysbeam

Manectric lv:32

[Ability : Lighteningrod]

[Nature : Naughty]

-Quick Attack

-Thunder Fang

-Bite

-Discharge

Noibat lv: 32

[Ability : Telepathy]

[Nature : Jolly]

-Air Cutter

-Roost

-Bite

-Wing Attack

Meowstic lv:32

[Ability: Prankster]

[Nature: Impish]

-Psyshock

-Miracle Eye

-Psybeam

-Confusion

Cacnea lv:28

[Ability : Water Absorb]

[Nature: Mild]

-Payback

-Feint Attack

-Absorb

-Needle Arm

Buizel lv:25

[Ability : Swift Swim]

[Nature: Careful]

-Water Gun

-Pursuit

-Swift

-Aqua Jet

__ In PC __

Kricketot 15

Cleffa 5

Swirlix 10

Litleo 15

Pachirisu 14

Skitty 15

Ekans 23

DuckLett 1

Zigzagoon 15

Spoink 15

Lillipup 15

Happiny 10

Helioptile 20

Mareep 10

Meowth 13

Swadloon 20

Growlithe 20

Vanillite 15

I am willing to grind if needed or go out catching a pokemon that I don't have.

Thank you for the help and advice before hand!

Replace Cacnea with Growlithe,because he will learn Flame Burst at level 28 and you can change the field into a Burning Field!And level up a little more..

Good Luck!

Edited by Tomy

Also, Dodrio with Rage and Pluck, and Emolga with Acrobatics, can solo her without even burning the field. There's also an Onix in Peridot, that you can use as a suicide lead with Sturdy and set Stealth Rocks, that are gonna cripple her.

There's also BASED GOD AMPHAROS, with Power Gem at 35. If you want a keeper that has a variety of uses, destroys multiple types and has moves that field effects like, raise that Mareep, even if it isn't for Shelly.

I played through this battle with Braixen and Meowstic on my team, I recommend relearning howl on Braixen and pulling Charge Beam on Meowstic instead of Miracle Eye. You can get a sweep of sorts if you try to use these two, also get Light Screen on Meowstic to weaken the Struggle Bugs.

I'd level up the maetric and noibat a bit more. Also get braixen to level 36, evolve it to get mystical fire and then use a common candy on it to go back to level 35 so it doesn't disobey you.

Noibat and manetric will do very well together since noibat has telepathy. Just spam discharge and air cutter since noibat, due to telepathy, will not get hit by discharge. That should KO most of her pokemon that go out against you, or at least her first two mons. Anorith I have no answer for except that you need to keep training that buizel up. Cacnea is useless in this fight sadly.

Your meowstic REALLY needs work. Thats just a bad moveset that needs screens (reflect and light screen are godly and why you have deleted them I have no idea).

Also, Dodrio with Rage and Pluck, and Emolga with Acrobatics, can solo her without even burning the field. There's also an Onix in Peridot, that you can use as a suicide lead with Sturdy and set Stealth Rocks, that are gonna cripple her.

There's also BASED GOD AMPHAROS, with Power Gem at 35. If you want a keeper that has a variety of uses, destroys multiple types and has moves that field effects like, raise that Mareep, even if it isn't for Shelly.

I Never did compare the base stats Between Ampharos with my Manetric. I mostly used my Manetric cause he was the better Electric type pokemon at the time. I will most definitely get Ampharos if his movepool is better.

I played through this battle with Braixen and Meowstic on my team, I recommend relearning howl on Braixen and pulling Charge Beam on Meowstic instead of Miracle Eye. You can get a sweep of sorts if you try to use these two, also get Light Screen on Meowstic to weaken the Struggle Bugs.

Hmm, I don't really remember having Howl, but I will replace it with my ember attack. It's hard making my Braixen do enough damage cause I feel like his attack stat isn't high enough for his level.

Where is the move tutor? I think I found him/her before but I can't remember where at the top of my head.

I'd level up the maetric and noibat a bit more. Also get braixen to level 36, evolve it to get mystical fire and then use a common candy on it to go back to level 35 so it doesn't disobey you.

Noibat and manetric will do very well together since noibat has telepathy. Just spam discharge and air cutter since noibat, due to telepathy, will not get hit by discharge. That should KO most of her pokemon that go out against you, or at least her first two mons. Anorith I have no answer for except that you need to keep training that buizel up. Cacnea is useless in this fight sadly.

Your meowstic REALLY needs work. Thats just a bad moveset that needs screens (reflect and light screen are godly and why you have deleted them I have no idea).

I forgot about the common candy! I will definitely try that for my Braixen.

I notice what the Telepathy does, after I looked at his other Abilities, and thought it would be a good key to let me take charge of that battle.I also have Cacnea in my party since I wanted a grass type. I like having a balance team. But then I remember Grass is weak to Bug soon as the battle started.

I am ashamed of my Meowstic. He is a better hit than my Braixen. And removing my light screen was an accident. I was hoping he would have a different movepool. So far everything has been psychic types and I was hoping for a dark or ghost type move to show up. Maybe it will later or Meowstic is primary a support role Pokemon. I have been debating on keeping my Meowstic since my Braixen is a Fire/Psychic type.

Thank you for all the help, advice and input! I will get to work on reconstruction my team and leveling them up some!

(Maybe I will get better once I learn what roles fits better to what pokemon.)

Edited by Vithan

This. Stealth Rock is handy against Leaders with a type weak to Rock. And Onix with Sturdy is a perfect suicide lead to pull this off.

Against Shelly, I set up Stealth Rock then set the field on fire with Numel and Vulpix. She never stood a chance . . . :blink:

I'm having some trouble with Kiki at the moment.

My Current Team:

Scrafty (Lv. 39) (Female)

Nickname: Scrafty

Nature: Relaxed

Ability: Shed Skin

Moves: Brick Break, Swagger, Crunch, Hi Jump Kick

Lopunny (Lv. 41) (Male)

Nickname: Link

Nature: Hardy

Ability: Limber

Moves: Jump Kick, Quick Attack, Rock Smash, Dizzy Punch

Typhlosion (Lv. 41) (Male)

Nickname: Wing Zero

Nature: Calm

Ability: Flash Fire

Moves: Flame Wheel, Swift, Defense Curl, Nature Power

Ariados (Lv. 42) (Female)

Nickname: Puru

Nature: Relaxed

Ability: Insomnia

Moves: Sucker Punch, Leech Life, Night Shade, Shadow Sneak

Meowstic (Lv. 43) (Male)

Nickname: Empluse

Nature: Docile

Ability: Keen Eye

Moves: Charge Beam, Psychic, Fake Out, Psyshock

Simisear (Lv. 45) (Male)

Nickname: Rainfall

Nature: Naive

Ability: Gluttony

Moves: Taunt, Bite, Cut, Scald

PC:

Vulpix (Lv. 28)

Onix (Lv. 25)

Trubbish (Lv. 31)

Clefairy (Lv. 32)

Heatmor (Lv. 40)

Corsola (Lv. 30)

Nosepass (Lv. 33) (Shiny)

I'm open to any suggestions.

Meowstic is probably your best bet, having a STAB and field-boosted Psychic. Replace Lopunny for a different Pokemon that will be good for the Gym, like Granbull. Intimidate and Charm is VERY nice.

I was lucky enough to get a burned on the medicham from lava plume on typhlosion without swapping any pokes out since I was going to sack lopunny to revive meowstic in case for the worse.

Yeah um this may be hard because im at flobot with these 3 ghosts (doing ghost monorun):

got no held items

Gastly lvl 25

levitate

night shade

confuse ray

hipnose

curse

golett level 25

No Guard

rollout

magnitude

shadow punch

iron defence

frillish level 25

Cursed Body

will-o-wisp

bubblebeam

recover

night shade

flobot just seems way too difficult for this right now

• 2 weeks later...

Needing help with Luna

Team in Spoiler

Delphox 59
Blaze
Flame Plate
-Flamethrower
-Shadow Ball
-Psyshock
-Psychic

Luxray 56
Guts
No Item
-Charge
-Discharge
-Spark
-Crunch

Mamoswine 55
Snow Cloak
No Item
-Earthquake
-Icy Wind
-Ice Shard
-Blizzard

Drapion 56
Keen Eye
Poison Barb
-Poison Fang
-Crunch
-Hone Claws
-Toxic Spikes

Flygon 56
Levitate
Hard Stone
-Rock Slide
-Dragon Claw
-Crunch
-Bulldoze

Panpour 30 (HM slave bc u need rock smash to get to gym....)
Torrent
No Item
-Water Sport
-Scald
-Cut
-Rock Smash

Purugly 58 (team member usually, when not with panpour)
Defiant
Silk Scarf
-Fake Out
-Body Slam
-Faint Attack
-Hypnosis

Everything else below lvl 45 (Granbull 43 , Noibat 40 , Heatmoor 42 are only things I really ever used).

I start off by setting up double toxic spikes with drapion (dies immediately after). My delphox can then 1-shot the bisharp, mamoswine can 2-shot the tyranitar and Luna often wastes a Hyper Potion or two here.

After that I get screwed over hard. Malamar and honchcrow both take down at least two whenever I've had a shot at them. Nothing can touch the Umbreon. And I haven't even seen the last pkmn.

The only thing I can think of doing is training up the lvl 30 Makuhita in my box, and I would really rather not.

So, any ideas?

Needing help with Luna

Team in Spoiler

Delphox 59

Blaze

Flame Plate

-Flamethrower

-Shadow Ball

-Psyshock

-Psychic

Luxray 56

Guts

No Item

-Charge

-Discharge

-Spark

-Crunch

Mamoswine 55

Snow Cloak

No Item

-Earthquake

-Icy Wind

-Ice Shard

-Blizzard

Drapion 56

Keen Eye

Poison Barb

-Poison Fang

-Crunch

-Hone Claws

-Toxic Spikes

Flygon 56

Levitate

Hard Stone

-Rock Slide

-Dragon Claw

-Crunch

-Bulldoze

Panpour 30 (HM slave bc u need rock smash to get to gym....)

Torrent

No Item

-Water Sport

-Scald

-Cut

-Rock Smash

PC

Purugly 58 (team member usually, when not with panpour)

Defiant

Silk Scarf

-Fake Out

-Body Slam

-Faint Attack

-Hypnosis

Everything else below lvl 45 (Granbull 43 , Noibat 40 , Heatmoor 42 are only things I really ever used).

I start off by setting up double toxic spikes with drapion (dies immediately after). My delphox can then 1-shot the bisharp, mamoswine can 2-shot the tyranitar and Luna often wastes a Hyper Potion or two here.

After that I get screwed over hard. Malamar and honchcrow both take down at least two whenever I've had a shot at them. Nothing can touch the Umbreon. And I haven't even seen the last pkmn.

The only thing I can think of doing is training up the lvl 30 Makuhita in my box, and I would really rather not.

So, any ideas?

The most reliable Pokemon that you can use against her Umbreon is your own Drapion; considering leveling it to 57 and picking up Cross Poison as a more reliable means to damaging it. As for Malamar, pick up a Bug type move on Drapion to kill it easier as well. It has either Bug Bite or Fell Stinger, and while the latter isn't that good, killing Malamar with it gives you +2 immediately, which can help in cleaning up the rest.

Use Flygon against Tyranitar and reserve Mamosine for her Honchkrow. Her final Pokemon's a Sableye, which is actually really annoying to you since it can burn you (I think) and Delphox can't reliably come in either. Thankfully you have Luxray with Guts against it so it can get worn down fairly easily. Consider messing with your movesets as well, and since HMs can be deleted here you might as well put Rock Smash on Mamoswine if you want the slot for Purugly; I suppose it'll do good against Honchkrow, but don't expect it to help too much.

The most reliable Pokemon that you can use against her Umbreon is your own Drapion; considering leveling it to 57 and picking up Cross Poison as a more reliable means to damaging it. As for Malamar, pick up a Bug type move on Drapion to kill it easier as well. It has either Bug Bite or Fell Stinger, and while the latter isn't that good, killing Malamar with it gives you +2 immediately, which can help in cleaning up the rest.

Use Flygon against Tyranitar and reserve Mamosine for her Honchkrow. Her final Pokemon's a Sableye, which is actually really annoying to you since it can burn you (I think) and Delphox can't reliably come in either. Thankfully you have Luxray with Guts against it so it can get worn down fairly easily. Consider messing with your movesets as well, and since HMs can be deleted here you might as well put Rock Smash on Mamoswine if you want the slot for Purugly; I suppose it'll do good against Honchkrow, but don't expect it to help too much.

Thanks for the advice; I'll try that. I don't really use Mamoswine's Blizzard anyway so I could easily put rock smash in that slot.

Edit: drapion couldn't really do any real damage, so I just used it up for toxic spikes setup. With some very fortunate switches from the opponent (purugly's body slam did 40% to honchcrow when i was trying to finish off umbreon) managed to win. Thanks for the help :)

Edited by Dracodino300

Stuck on Noel because Hidden Power fire. Burning the field is a double-edged sword.

Edit:Ignore this because just beaten noel.

Current team( Training a Scrafty)

Scrafty Lv.48

-Facade

-Brick Break

-Crunch

-High Jump Kick

Torterra Lv.54

-Crunch

-Giga Drain

-EQ

-Cut

Lunastone Lv.47

-Heal Block

-Cosmic Power

-Psychic

-Stone Edge

Manectric Lv.53

-Bite

-Discharge

-Wild Charge

-Quick Attack

Sharpedo Lv.50

-Poison Fang

-Ice Fang

-Crunch

-Aqua Jet

Hariyama Lv.52

-Knock-off

-Close Combat

-Wake-up Slap

-Vital Throw

In box that are active:

Gyarados Lv.54

Ninetales Lv.54

Aggron Lv.52

Escavalier Lv.53

Noteable boxed Pokemon:

Dusclops Lv.41

Magneton Lv.34

Mareep Lv.10

Croagunk Lv.28

Cofagrigus Lv.34

Piloswine Lv.33

Camerupt Lv.43

Edited by OmegaRa1der

Stuck on Noel because Hidden Power fire. Burning the field is a double-edged sword.

Scrafty Lv.48

-Facade

-Brick Break

-Crunch

-High Jump Kick

Torterra Lv.54

-Crunch

-Giga Drain

-EQ

-Cut

Lunastone Lv.47

-Heal Block

-Cosmic Power

-Psychic

-Stone Edge

Manectric Lv.53

-Bite

-Discharge

-Wild Charge

-Quick Attack

Sharpedo Lv.50

-Poison Fang

-Ice Fang

-Crunch

-Aqua Jet

Hariyama Lv.52

-Knock-off

-Close Combat

-Wake-up Slap

-Vital Throw

In box that are active:

Gyarados Lv.54

Ninetales Lv.54

Aggron Lv.52

Escavalier Lv.53

Noteable boxed Pokemon:

Dusclops Lv.41

Magneton Lv.34

Mareep Lv.10

Croagunk Lv.28

Cofagrigus Lv.34

Piloswine Lv.33

Camerupt Lv.43

Yeah, for your team, do not burn the field, it won't help one bit.

First piece of advice is get both escavalier and aggron out and into your team line up, and ditch sharpedo and surprisingly hariyama who actually isn't too useful this fight. Especially if escavalier has iron head + swords dance, you will find clefable so much easier to kill (provided that it's HP is not fire...I forget). Give aggron a cheri berry so it can KO wigglytuff and not get T-waved. You'll also need escavalier for porygon-Z, and I hope your special defense is higher than your defense. Fix that with some zinc otherwise it'll grab the download boost for special attack and it will cause you so much hurt. Lunatone needs more training as that might help against Porygon-Z as well.

Otherwise that magneton would help provided its trained for long enough and has T-wave

Scrafty Lv.48

-Facade

-Brick Break

-Crunch

-High Jump Kick

Torterra Lv.54

-Crunch

-Giga Drain

-EQ

-Cut

Lunastone Lv.47

-Heal Block

-Cosmic Power

-Psychic

-Stone Edge

Manectric Lv.53

-Bite

-Discharge

-Wild Charge

-Quick Attack

Sharpedo Lv.50

-Poison Fang

-Ice Fang

-Crunch

-Aqua Jet

Hariyama Lv.52

-Knock-off

-Close Combat

-Wake-up Slap

-Vital Throw

In box that are active:

Gyarados Lv.54

Ninetales Lv.54

Aggron Lv.52

Escavalier Lv.53

Noteable boxed Pokemon:

Dusclops Lv.41

Magneton Lv.34

Mareep Lv.10

Croagunk Lv.28

Cofagrigus Lv.34

Piloswine Lv.33

Camerupt Lv.43

Yeah, for your team, do not burn the field, it won't help one bit.

First piece of advice is get both escavalier and aggron out and into your team line up, and ditch sharpedo and surprisingly hariyama who actually isn't too useful this fight. Especially if escavalier has iron head + swords dance, you will find clefable so much easier to kill (provided that it's HP is not fire...I forget). Give aggron a cheri berry so it can KO wigglytuff and not get T-waved. You'll also need escavalier for porygon-Z, and I hope your special defense is higher than your defense. Fix that with some zinc otherwise it'll grab the download boost for special attack and it will cause you so much hurt. Lunatone needs more training as that might help against Porygon-Z as well.

Otherwise that magneton would help provided its trained for long enough and has T-wave

Samson (EP15)

My Team (MONO-STEEL)

Metagross (62):

(Naive)

(Clear Body)

Hammer Arm

Bullet Punch

Meteor Mash

Zen Headbutt

Escavalier (61):

(Naughty)

(Overcoat)

X-Scissor

Iron Head

Slash

Reversal

Empoleon(61):

(Hardy)

(Defiant)

Hydro Pump

Aqua Jet

Drill Peck

Metal Claw

Magnezone(61)

(Jolly)

(Analytic)

Magnet Rise

Metal Souns

Flash Cannon

Discharge

Klingklang(61)

(Naive)

(Minus)

Gear Grind

Shift Gear

Dishcharge

Brick Break (HM slave, sadly :( )

Steelix(61)-------(Really want to replace with Excadrill, but cannot go back to get Drillbur :( )

(Docile)

(Sturdy)

Iron Tail

Crunch

Rock Slide

Dig

I can only use steel types, and I'm pretty much out of Ideas except maybe grinding levels, which is taking forever on the low-leveled wild mons in route 2. Any ideas? (I could grind some levels off of samson himself by failing the battle but killing a few pokemon each time, but I'd lose a HUGE chunk of cash doing that, so I would prefer not to)

EDIT:

Kiki also gave me a lot of problems, only beat her by RNGesus and using Protect to make High Jump Kick miss.

I also have more magnemites, a forretress and a wormadam steel coat thingy in the PC. I have 1 Metal Coat that can be held to boost Steel Type attacks.

EDIT2: Just noticed I also have a level 24 Bronzor in the PC. Might be worthwhile?

EDIT3: Just learned you dont lose money when you lose to samson... I thought you did? Well, time to use that to train up :D

Edited by Mortally Divine

Grind levels almost to max against Samson, and, from experience, getting an attack up with meteor mash and then zen-butting everything with Metagross worked for most of his team for me.

If you want, you can Charge Beam Magnezone and then use that + discharge to take out the special defense-lacking Pokemon on his team.

Edited by BIGJRA

Samson (EP15)

My Team (MONO-STEEL)

Metagross (62):

(Naive)

(Clear Body)

Hammer Arm

Bullet Punch

Meteor Mash

Zen Headbutt

Escavalier (61):

(Naughty)

(Overcoat)

X-Scissor

Iron Head

Slash

Reversal

Empoleon(61):

(Hardy)

(Defiant)

Hydro Pump

Aqua Jet

Drill Peck

Metal Claw

Magnezone(61)

(Jolly)

(Analytic)

Magnet Rise

Metal Souns

Flash Cannon

Discharge

Klingklang(61)

(Naive)

(Minus)

Gear Grind

Shift Gear

Dishcharge

Brick Break (HM slave, sadly :( )

Steelix(61)-------(Really want to replace with Excadrill, but cannot go back to get Drillbur :( )

(Docile)

(Sturdy)

Iron Tail

Crunch

Rock Slide

Dig

I can only use steel types, and I'm pretty much out of Ideas except maybe grinding levels, which is taking forever on the low-leveled wild mons in route 2. Any ideas? (I could grind some levels off of samson himself by failing the battle but killing a few pokemon each time, but I'd lose a HUGE chunk of cash doing that, so I would prefer not to)

EDIT:

Kiki also gave me a lot of problems, only beat her by RNGesus and using Protect to make High Jump Kick miss.

I also have more magnemites, a forretress and a wormadam steel coat thingy in the PC. I have 1 Metal Coat that can be held to boost Steel Type attacks.

EDIT2: Just noticed I also have a level 24 Bronzor in the PC. Might be worthwhile?

EDIT3: Just learned you dont lose money when you lose to samson... I thought you did? Well, time to use that to train up :D

Bronzor and metagross will be key to getting past this fight for you, even though you'll be stuck grinding for ages. My advice would be to take down hariyama as fast as you possibly can without losing metagross or bronzong. Once hariyama is down, the next stage of the fight involves finding an opportunity to set up Trick Room with either bronzong or metagross. This will help you hit everything but his ace first, and samson's team is frail enough that metagross will stand the best chance of KO'ing mienshao, blaziken, and hawlucha. Take care that his lucario does have a focus sash.

I don't know how your team will deal with conkeldurr though. I think that you may want to get forretress out for this fight and get Toxic spikes from the move relearner, and set them as a suicide lead against his hariyama. You might be able to protect hax your way past conkeldurr in that sense, though it'll heal itself up with drain punch each time.