Official Gym Leader Help Thread

Deleted User

Send Help! Ciel keeps kicking my teeth in than dancing on the remains :( .

My team:

1. Blaziken (Speed Boost): High Jump Kick, Flare Blitz, Brave Bird, Bulk Up

2. Azumarill (Thick fat obvs why not ): Waterfall, Play Rough, Super Power, Surf

3. Rhydon (Reckless): Megahorn, Stone Edge, Takedown, Earthquake

4. Noivern (Telepathy): Dragon Pulse, Boomburst, Super Fang, Tailwind

5. Espeon (Synchronize): Psychic, Power Swap, Morning Sun, Shadow Ball

6. Meowstic Female (Infiltrator): Psychic, Dark Pulse, Light Screen, Shadow ball

7. Simisage (Gluttony): Seed Bomb, Acrobatics, Leech Seed, Brick Break

Alright, once you get to her last pokemon, switch out into Noivern and use light screen. Noivern will most likely get OHKO'd by it, so you can safe switch into Meowstic and use Light Screen. Then try and get Will-O-Wisp and replace it for Shadow Ball or Dark Pulse to widdle it away as you're attacking it. I used this with the help of Smok3iT on my own thread.

Hello! I'm going up against Shade relatively soon, and I want to make sure I'm bringing the right team members before I start grinding.

Note: my team is Level 33-35 right now; I know I need to level them up before I fight him.

Floatzel | Level 33
Swift Swim
Impish
- Aqua Jet
- Pursuit
- Double Hit
- Baton Pass
Swoobat | Level 33
Simple
Brave
- Calm Mind
- Air Slash
- Heart Stamp
- Assurance
Persian | Level 33
Technician
Mild
- Power Gem
- Fake Out
- Fury Swipes
- Bite
Pignite | Level 34
Blaze
Bashful
- Take Down
- Rollout
- Arm Thrust
- Heat Crash
Swalot | Level 34 @ Black Sludge
Liquid Ooze
Adamant
- Body Slam
- Sludge
- Toxic
- Stockpile
Luxray | Level 35
Guts
Naughty
- Thunder Fang
- Facade
- Bite
- Swagger
I'm considering grabbing Porygon to get a Porygon2 for the fight so I can make use of the field's boosts to Download and Zap Cannon, but I'm not sure if the Move Relearner is open yet? I'd also like to put a Ghost or Dark type into my team just to make sure I can handle him, but I'm not sure about what to pick. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated, thank you in advance!

I'd be bringing in Noctowl back into your team, making sure to get it to level 37 to learn air slash. Swalot and Luxray will both help. I'd also get numel back in too as camerupt will help against a couple of shade's pokemon. I don't see swoobat or floatzel being too useful at this stage, so they could both be dropped. Luxray needs charge beam for this fight to change the field from short circuit to factory. That will stop shade getting any major bonuses from the field effects, so give it that over facade for now. Biggest issue I see is that you have nothing that will be any good against shade's lead pokemon. Persian with a chesto berry equipped seems the safest choice if it has plenty of speed EV's.

Floatzel could be good for chandelure with aqua jet.

Won't hit hard enough and will get mauled by energy ball in return. He's better off changing the field and using either emboar or camerupt against it. Or trying to fish for flinching from persian.

I'd be bringing in Noctowl back into your team, making sure to get it to level 37 to learn air slash. Swalot and Luxray will both help. I'd also get numel back in too as camerupt will help against a couple of shade's pokemon. I don't see swoobat or floatzel being too useful at this stage, so they could both be dropped. Luxray needs charge beam for this fight to change the field from short circuit to factory. That will stop shade getting any major bonuses from the field effects, so give it that over facade for now. Biggest issue I see is that you have nothing that will be any good against shade's lead pokemon. Persian with a chesto berry equipped seems the safest choice if it has plenty of speed EV's.

I just swapped in Noctowl and Numel for Floatzel and Swoobat, thank you for the tip!

Also I'm thinking about possible ways to take down Shade's lead and I was wondering, do you think that catching a Yamask, grinding it to Level 37 for Shadow Ball, and then evolving it might be a decent option? I mean, Cofagrigus has terrible Speed but it might be worth a shot? Alternatively I could do the same with a Purrloin sitting in my box, wait til Level 37 for Night Slash before evolving it, though the only Purrloin I have on me is Timid.

Hello! I'm currently at Ciel and she's hard. Noivern, Togekiss, Talonflame can't beat. I have no clue what her ace is. (Altaria??)

PLEASE BEAR IN MIND I AM DOING GENERATION 4 RUN!

Team + Rotation

[infernape][Level 73][/size]

[iron Fist][/size]

[Naughty][/size]

- Flare Blitz[/size]

- Acrobatics[/size]

- Shadow Claw[/size]

- Close Combat[/size]

[Rotom Wash][/size][[/size]Level 73][/size]

[Levitate][/size]

[bold][/size]

- Discharge[/size]

- Ominous Wind[/size]

- Hydro Pump[/size]

- Substitute[/size]

[Gastradon][Level 73][/size]

[storm Drain][/size]

[Adamant][/size]

- Waterfall[/size]

- Sludge Wave[/size]

- Surf[/size]

- Recover[/size]

[A Big and Powerful Staraptor][Level 73][/size]

[intimidate][/size]

[Naughty][/size]

- Final Gambit[/size]

- Agility[/size]

- Brave Bird[/size]

- Close Combat[/size]

[Magnezone][Level 73][/size]

[sturdy][/size]

[impish][/size]

- Discharge[/size]

- Zap Cannon[/size]

- Flash Cannon[/size]

- Charge Beam[/size]

[Yanmega][Level 73][/size]

[speed Boost][/size]

[Hasty][/size]

- Detect[/size]

- Ancient Power[/size]

- Air Slash[/size]

- Bug Buzz[/size]

[Luxray][Level 73][/size]

[Guts][/size]

[Naive][/size]

- Wild Charge[/size]

- Swagger[/size]

- Electric Terrain[/size]

- Crunch[/size]

[Drapion][Level 73][/size]

[battle Armor][/size]

[Docile][/size]

- Bulldoze[/size]

- Toxic Spikes[/size]

- Cross Poison[/size]

- Night Slash[/size]

[Probopass][Level 73][/size]

[Magnet Pull][/size]

[Lax][/size]

- Stone Edge[/size]

- Power Gem[/size]

- Earth Power[/size]

- Discharge[/size]

[bronzong][Level 73][/size]

[Heatproof][/size]

[Modest][/size]

- Extrasensory[/size]

- Heal Block[/size]

- Heavy Slam[/size]

- Explosion[/size]

[Toxicroak][Level 73][/size]

[Poison Touch][/size]

[Jolly][/size]

- Poison Jab[/size]

- Bounce[/size]

- Sucker Punch[/size]

- Drain Punch[/size]

Other Pokémon in my PC.

Turtwig Being Grinded ATM. Has Egg move Superpower! :D

Bidoof Level 6

Pachirisu Level 23

Purugly Level 44

Carnivine Level 43

Happiny Level 10 [CAN'T EVOLVE CAUSE FINAL FORM IS NOT FROM GENERATION 4!]

Thanks if you help me!

Do your rules allow you to get a Snorunt just to evolve it into Froslass? If so, you should get one. It will be helpful to give a cold to the bat.

Edited by PsychoticPudu

I just swapped in Noctowl and Numel for Floatzel and Swoobat, thank you for the tip!

Also I'm thinking about possible ways to take down Shade's lead and I was wondering, do you think that catching a Yamask, grinding it to Level 37 for Shadow Ball, and then evolving it might be a decent option? I mean, Cofagrigus has terrible Speed but it might be worth a shot? Alternatively I could do the same with a Purrloin sitting in my box, wait til Level 37 for Night Slash before evolving it, though the only Purrloin I have on me is Timid.

Cofagrigus could work, but I'd be concerned about betting on the AI doing something stupid when it comes to matters of type advantage. I'd raise yamask in the way that you described anyway because it will be useful for a few upcoming battles after shade at least, and it doesn't help shade no longer gives shadow ball away as a TM either. I'd pass on purrloin. If you want a dark type that might help, I'd consider doing the nuzleaf event in the beryl cave/rhodocrine jungle. It will be very hard to beat that event, but getting nuzleaf will help immensely.

Cofagrigus could work, but I'd be concerned about betting on the AI doing something stupid when it comes to matters of type advantage. I'd raise yamask in the way that you described anyway because it will be useful for a few upcoming battles after shade at least, and it doesn't help shade no longer gives shadow ball away as a TM either. I'd pass on purrloin. If you want a dark type that might help, I'd consider doing the nuzleaf event in the beryl cave/rhodocrine jungle. It will be very hard to beat that event, but getting nuzleaf will help immensely.

Hm, yeah, I think what I'll do is train up the Yamask first, and if I struggle with it too much, I'll either try to grab the Nuzleaf or maybe the Scraggy from the Slums - I don't want to spend too much time on the tough events if I can avoid it right now.

So who should I drop in favor of Cofagrigus? Right now, the planned line-up is Swalot, Persian, Pignite, Numel, Luxray, and Noctowl. I'm guessing Persian?

Hm, yeah, I think what I'll do is train up the Yamask first, and if I struggle with it too much, I'll either try to grab the Nuzleaf or maybe the Scraggy from the Slums - I don't want to spend too much time on the tough events if I can avoid it right now.

So who should I drop in favor of Cofagrigus? Right now, the planned line-up is Swalot, Persian, Pignite, Numel, Luxray, and Noctowl. I'm guessing Persian?

None. The team you currently have might just be enough to get you over the line. If you have to drop someone, it might be swalot, but his toxic will be useful for a few of shade's pokemon. Cofagrigus won't help as much as the others. If you're still stuck, you could try getting a mightyena with snarl + intimidate to soften up a few of his attackers.

None. The team you currently have might just be enough to get you over the line. If you have to drop someone, it might be swalot, but his toxic will be useful for a few of shade's pokemon. Cofagrigus won't help as much as the others. If you're still stuck, you could try getting a mightyena with snarl + intimidate to soften up a few of his attackers.

Alright, I'll grind up a bit tonight and give it a shot in the morning. Thanks again for all the help, I appreciate it very much!

• Upvote 1

Do your rules allow you to get a Snorunt just to evolve it into Froslass? If so, you should get one. It will be helpful to give a cold to the bat.

Yeah they do. Where do you get a Snorunt?

Edited by Rebel Mudkip

Yeah they do. Where do you get a Snorunt?

Ametrine Mountain with a 4% chance. Dawn stone's in the Byxbysion wasteland grotto.

A small note, change Bronzong to Levitate.

And if you want a surefire strategy to rip holes to her team, use a Floatzel from Celestine Mt. Set rain with something else and then let it run wild and oneshot everything not named Togekiss or Altaria. With Aqua Jet under the rain, I'd say it can make very short work even of Talonflame.

Ametrine Mountain with a 4% chance. Dawn stone's in the Byxbysion wasteland grotto.

A small note, change Bronzong to Levitate.

And if you want a surefire strategy to rip holes to her team, use a Floatzel from Celestine Mt. Set rain with something else and then let it run wild and oneshot everything not named Togekiss or Altaria. With Aqua Jet under the rain, I'd say it can make very short work even of Talonflame.

Ok I'll try that when I get floatzel! Thanks!

Ok I'll try that when I get floatzel! Thanks!

By the way, Swift Swim Floatzel. To outspeed everything. Also mine for a Damp Rock to get 8 rain turns.

Alright, I'll grind up a bit tonight and give it a shot in the morning. Thanks again for all the help, I appreciate it very much!

If you want something even better and aggresiver for Shade, try Houndoom. It deals easily with most of the team (careful with the Tbolt of his lead in that field tho), and resists every attack of his ace other than HP electric.

• 1 month later...

So, I am rapidly approaching Shade in my Psychic & Ghost run (Just completed Orphanage). I am predicting some significant trouble against him though, and would like some advice on my team.

Lilith (Delphox), Level 36

Fire Spin, Psyshock, Mystical Fire, and Cut (Need to replace that move with literally anything else)

Keeper (Shuppet) Level 33

Shadow Ball, Will-o-wisp, Feint Attack, Confuse Ray

Aero (Swoobat) Level 35

Confusion, Air Slash, Air Cutter, Calm Mind

Teemo (Meowstic M) Level 37

Light Screen, Reflect, Psyshock, Charge Beam

Beryl (Gothorita) Level 35

Charge Beam, Future Sight, Psyshock, Dark Pulse

Groot (Phantump) Level 33

Leech Seed, Will-o-wisp, Feint Attack, Horn Leech

I know his most difficult Pokemon in previous runs for me were his Chandelure and his Rotom. But now I have Teemo to set up screens, so that should help. I was thinking about replacing Shuppet with either Yamask or Duskull, both available in his gym (Would more likely use Yamask since Cofagrigus has one of the coolest designs I've ever seen) and possibly Phantump, who I'm mainly training so he can get Destiny Bond for Garchomp. I do have the Link Stone, but I don't know if using it on this guy is the best idea, mostly because no one knows when we will be able to get more of them in the department store and I'm unsure if Abra is available later (Since Ghastly was axed). Any suggestions on what I may need to do against him? And please don't recommend breeding, as the main character in the run doesn't agree with it and I don't have the patience do it. I am willing to catch and grind a bit, but can't do so for Drifloon as I accidentally KO'ed it.

Well, since you've got a screen setter, the easiest way to beat him would be to get a Simple Calm Mind Swoobat, set up a Light Screen, bring out Swoobat and CM 3 times, heal when you get low. Kind of a pain to get the friendship up, but you should have a good amount of money by now, so just abuse the salons. I'd also recommend you ditch Shuppet and Phantump, Gourgeist is a better Trevenant and Banette is just really bad without it's mega.

Well, since you've got a screen setter, the easiest way to beat him would be to get a Simple Calm Mind Swoobat, set up a Light Screen, bring out Swoobat and CM 3 times, heal when you get low. Kind of a pain to get the friendship up, but you should have a good amount of money by now, so just abuse the salons. I'd also recommend you ditch Shuppet and Phantump, Gourgeist is a better Trevenant and Banette is just really bad without it's mega.

Well, it's a good thing Swoobat already has Simple and Calm Mind. I think Shade leads with Gengar, so does that have any physical attacks?

And Phantump is really only in training to beat Garchomp since he gets Destiny Bond at level 39.

Edited by Generalguy64

There are enough Linkstones for your run, check the new item guide in my Sig for their locations.

Also E15 Shade is much more physical, so do as Etesian says but get a Light Clay from the Dpt. Store or mining and set both screens up, Reflect AFTER Light Screen since Chandi has Infiltrator I think. Make sure you can finish all the physical members of his team before Reflect goes out, because Shadow Sneak.

Shade's Gengar knows Shadow Claw, so yes it knows physical attacks.

If you're willing to use your Focus Sash, you could just lead with Shuppet (let it hold the Sash) and use Destiny Bond on the Garchomp. Unless you already have replaced it, Shuppet should know DB without any need for Heart Scales / level ups.

You might be able to use Charge Beam and take the advantage of the field effect in play.

Hey guys! i'm having massive trouble getting through Noel. I can usually get through wigglytuff fairly easily, but chincino wipes my team every time! here's my team. everyone is lv 51-55

Garbodor (lonely)

ability: aftermath

-sludge bomb

-toxic

-toxic spikes

-sludge wave

Rapidash (quirky)

ability: flame body

-bounce

-flare blitz

-flame charge

-morning sun

Flygon(careful)

ability: levitate

-dragon claw

-dig

-dragon rush

-earthquake

Leavanny (gentle)

ability: overcoat

-x-scissor

-leaf blade

-cut

-leaf storm

golem (jolly)

ability: sturdy

-earthquake

-double edge

-smack down

-rock smash

swampert (bashful)

ablity: torrent

-muddy water

-mud shot

-strength

-earthquake

thanks for any help!

Alright, so, I need some advice for beating Shade. Anything of use is appreciated.

Lv 40 Luxray

Thunder Fang

Baby-Doll Eyes

Charge

Swagger

Lv 38 Greninja (side note, I somehow achieved a physical Greninja)

Smack Down

Smokescreen

Water Pulse

Water Shuriken

Lv 38 Male Meowstic (Twisted Spoon)

Light Screen

Reflect

Charm Beam

Psyshock

Lv 25 (still training) Blissey

Soft-Boiled

Charm

Copycat

Refresh

Lv 36 Noibat

Aircutter

Tailwind

Bite

Roost

Lv 36 Growlithe (special attacker)

Flamethrower

Fire Fang

Close Combat

Rock Smash

I can provide info on mons in my box if requested.

Hey guys! i'm having massive trouble getting through Noel. I can usually get through wigglytuff fairly easily, but chincino wipes my team every time! here's my team. everyone is lv 51-55

Garbodor (lonely)

ability: aftermath

-sludge bomb

-toxic

-toxic spikes

-sludge wave

Rapidash (quirky)

ability: flame body

-bounce

-flare blitz

-flame charge

-morning sun

Flygon(careful)

ability: levitate

-dragon claw

-dig

-dragon rush

-earthquake

Leavanny (gentle)

ability: overcoat

-x-scissor

-leaf blade

-cut

-leaf storm

golem (jolly)

ability: sturdy

-earthquake

-double edge

-smack down

-rock smash

swampert (bashful)

ablity: torrent

-muddy water

-mud shot

-strength

-earthquake

thanks for any help!

Sludge wave will change the field into a corrosive which would help you but also hinder you.. Do you have a Numel in your box. If so train it up until it gets Lava Plume which should change the field to the burning field. You can also use weather to help you given that the battle is outside. A sun boosted, burning field lava plume is going to be quite helpful.

Alright, so, I need some advice for beating Shade. Anything of use is appreciated.

Lv 40 Luxray

Thunder Fang

Baby-Doll Eyes

Charge

Swagger

Lv 38 Greninja (side note, I somehow achieved a physical Greninja)

Smack Down

Smokescreen

Water Pulse

Water Shuriken

Lv 38 Male Meowstic (Twisted Spoon)

Light Screen

Reflect

Charm Beam

Psyshock

Lv 25 (still training) Blissey

Soft-Boiled

Charm

Copycat

Refresh

Lv 36 Noibat

Aircutter

Tailwind

Bite

Roost

Lv 36 Growlithe (special attacker)

Flamethrower

Fire Fang

Close Combat

Rock Smash

I can provide info on mons in my box if requested.

What mons do you have in your box? Any particular mon in Shade's team that gives you trouble?

Noibat is imo outright useless there, so don't bother using it. Magneton can make good use of the field effect, so I'd recommend using one. Fire-types are good for taking down Doublade and Trevenant, so you might want to use your Growlithe for those. If it's not powerful enough to one-shot them, you could try evolving it or using Pyroar instead - it learn Flamethrower at level 38.