Official Gym Leader Help Thread

Deleted User

Hey, me again. Right now, I'm stuck at Charolette, and was wondering what stardegy I should use. I have been grinding my Archanine with flash fire up to pair with my Typhlosion, but have been having limited success due to her rock type moves. I know quite a few people swear by rain dance, which is an option I would be willing to explore, though I'm unsure of what the best Pokemon to pair rain dance with is. I do have a high leveled Kingler, and am willing to catch a new Pokemon, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

well i used a Gigalith+meowstic M with prankster to set up trick room. than i swapped Mewostic M to Azumarill. Trick room usually work cause most of Charlotte Pokemons are of base speed 100 and above. or you can use a bronzong(heatproof)+Gigalith. bronzong sets up trick room and gigalith just rock slides anything and everything you see.

Thanks everyone, I'm going to try a combination of your advice to see if I can finally take down this little pyromaniac. The reason I didn't post my general/current team is because I wanted to get an idea of what kind of combos everyone else used, but if my problems persists, I'll happily list out my current team. Well, now I guess you could say...

I'm fired up.

Prankster and Trick Rooom have nothing to do with each other. Prankster moves status moves one position higher, but TR is -6. Trickroomers have to be bulky to set it after tanking a hit or two.

You can also abuse Prankster Rain Dance (or Drizzle Politoed, who's available again) with a Swift Swimmer or two. Kingdra double-resists fire and is your best pick. Although I also love Golduck.

used Meowstick M to set up screens also thus making it able to take hits. prankster helped in setting up the screens. so prankster is some what necessary when running a meowstick M with only support moves.meh my bad should have elaborated more on the strategy cause i assumed most people will run screens+light clay on most support Meowstick M.

Unpdate on my progress. I tried to use a Bronzong in an attempt to set up a Trick Room, but the poor thing always gets annihilated by heatwave/flamebitz combo. I also threw Trickroom on my Meowstic (F) and had similar results. My issues with this gym (and Samson's) is that there are plenty of "perfect" Pokemon to counter her, but most of them are unavailable since I'm stuck in the Circus area. I feel like the Gigalith/Bronzong combo could work, but she always manages to sweep my Trickroom setter before I get the chance. So I guess my next strategy should be getting a Golduck and having some rain dance users. I know generally it's best to post your team here, but right now, I feel like no one in my team has any sort of advantage, save for my Kingler.

Another way I found that makes things easy against charlotte is if you can remove the darmanitan early, setting sand storm while the field is burning leaves her with no way to deal any sort of major damage to rock types outside of lucky burns. If you have something that can survive long enough to set up sand storm with a few rock types, she is completely stuffed.

Alright, I think I may have a new strategy. While I do have a Heatproof Bronzong, two fire type moves are enough to take it out, but now, I'm going to try something different. Using Gigalith and Typhlosion to deal as damage dealers, I might have a plan. Originally, I tried to use a Typhlosion Arcanine combo, as they both had flash fire, but I believe her Typhlosion has Hidden Power Rock, and was able to one hit my poor Arcanine.

Yeah he does have hidden power rock, as does Volcarona who is actually faster/hits harder with it. Typhlosion doesn't have flash fire anymore at least although that actually worked AGAINST me since I was hoping to trace it <_<

I spent nearly an hour and a half on Charlotte last night with my psychic/ice team, and jeez it was the most frustrating/hardest gym match since shelly.The rain/blizzard(in that order) strat is good and all but the trick is actually getting your capable pokemon to pull it off before getting KO'd by Darminitan/Tyboy Darmanitan's field boosted(either the steam or burning one) flare blitz hits absurdly hard to where it was one-shotting EVERYTHING on my team that didn't resist it. I used Medicham, Walrein, Gardevoir, Alakazam, Delphox,and Mamoswine. I have to leave so I'll expand more on how I won later but if you can leave Rotom for last as after an overheat or two it can hardly dish out any damage and KO Ninetales and Volcarona ASAP as soon as it appears because those two can ruin everything for you given a chance to set up. Brick Break is actually useful for this fight too since Delphox sets up light screen and Rotom has reflect.

At long last, I was finally able to finish her off. In the end, Brongzong didn't do me any real favors, but was able to take a few hits while I rockslided her to oblivion. After that, I managed to take out her critically wounded Pokemon with my Scrafty and Sylveon. Thanks to everyone who gave me advice, I think she might have been one of the hardest gym leaders so far.

Please Help

I'm being obliterated by Entity Shade (can't get further than Rotom)

---------------------

Current Team:

Delphox Lv47

Item: Soothe Bell

Abilitiy: Magician

Nature: Bold

1) Scratch

2) Mystical Fire

3) Flamethrower

4) Psyshock

Onyx Lv25

Item: N/A

Ability:Weak Armor

Nature: Lonely

1) Gyro Ball

2) Rock Smash

3) Smack Down

4) Dragon Breath

Mightyena Lv31

Ability: Quick Feet

Nature: Lax

1) Bite

2) Swagger

3) Assurance

4) Scary Face

Houndoom Lv31

Ability: Early Bird

Nature: Quirky

1) Bite

2) Odor Sleuth

3) Beat Up

4) Fire Fang

Minun Lv31

Ability: Volt Absorb

Nature: Naughty

1) Charge Beam

2) Swift

3) Discharge

4) Sing

Pangoro Lv33

Item: Fist Plate

Ability: Scrappy

Nature: Naive

1) Cut

2) Slash

3) Circle Throw

4) Vital Throw

-------------------------

Potential Reserves:

Zorua Lv30

Arcanine Lv28

Munna Lv37

Yamask Lv32

Porygon Lv28

Glameow Lv28

Sandshrew Lv 26

Cubchoo Lv29

Solrock Lv28

Sneasel Lv24

Purloin Lv28

Spritzee Lv25

Phanpy Lv23

Arbok Lv23

Bunnelby Lv23

Klink Lv32

Barboach Lv29 (has Magnitude)

Edited by SicknTwisted94

Please Help

I'm being obliterated by Entity Shade (can't get further than Rotom)

---------------------

Current Team:

Delphox Lv47

1) Scratch

2) Mystical Fire

3) Flamethrower

4) Psyshock

Onyx Lv25

Ability:Weak Armor

Nature: Lonely

1) Gyro Ball

2) Rock Smash

3) Smack Down

4) Dragon Breath

Mightyena Lv31

1) Bite

2) Swagger

3) Assurance

4) Scary Face

Houndoom Lv31

1) Bite

2) Odor Sleuth

3) Beat Up

4) Fire Fang

Minun Lv31

Ability: Volt Absorb

Nature: Naughty

1) Charge Beam

2) Swift

3) Discharge

4) Sing

Pangoro Lv33

1) Cut

2) Slash

3) Circle Throw

4) Vital Throw

-------------------------

Potential Reserves:

Arcanine Lv28

Munna Lv37

Yamask Lv32

Porygon Lv28

Glameow Lv28

Sandshrew Lv 26

Cubchoo Lv29

Solrock Lv28

Sneasel Lv24

Purloin Lv28

Spritzee Lv25

Phanpy Lv23

Arbok Lv23

Bunnelby Lv23

Klink Lv32

Barboach Lv29 (has Magnitude)

Holy Arceus, you swapped light screen ou for scratch in Delphox, you should retain that light screen as many ghost types are hard htting special sweepers, and will-o-wisp for Delphox also to cripple physical threats(Trevenant etc)~Onix should be able to set up Stealth Rock, entry hazards help a lot in battle(Chandelure)~All-out attacks are not necessarily suffice enough in long run esp in Reborn~and your Mightyena has advantage of having swagger, use that against Gengar as it is not physical~and Pangoro's Cut can be replaced with better moves, Reborn's HMs are replaceable~ Minun's Switcheroo might comes in handy to swap out the items that accentuate their attacks~and i noticed you have a Barboach, Whishcash has helped me break many fields, you might wanna train it up for its EQ field breaker ftw~and either Houndoom or Mightyena one has to go, they fulfill the same role in a team with same typing, personally i suggest Mightyena as it has not much dexterity going for it~

Edited by TimTim

So I take it the Rotom is causing you the most issues. Your delphox is so overleveled that I doubt it will be much help in this battle.

I'd level up your onix a bit as it is immune to Rotom's discharge and isn't too troubled by shadow ball. It will also help a bit with Chandelure but beware of energy ball.

Houndoom should make pretty quick work of Doublade so you should keep it alive for that (watch out for Brick Break). It can also help with Trevenant.

Mighteyena should help with Banette as it doesn't carry much to help with dark types (beware of destiny bond though).

I assume you can deal with Gengar as you make it to Rotom.

Overall your team doesn't have the best balance with 3 dark types, 2 fire types and minun (who is arguably the worst electric rodent out there). So training up some of those reserves for your team in the future wouldn't hurt.

• Upvote 1

@SicknTwisted

well first train up your mons to round lvl 40 and lower your Delphox lvl with common candy so it obey you. well the lvl cap right now is lvl 40 and there is no point in having a pokemon which does not obey your orders. You can buy common candies from the candy store at Obsidia ward. train up Mightyena by killing the Woobats at the under ground railnet they should be around lvl 20 and can be 1 shotted and give speed EV too which can be useful. you can also train Pangoro and Houndoom there too. well u just need to train up than you should be able to beat shade. i used a lvl 39 Mightyena to sweep most of his team(but i ev trained atk and speed so yeah).

Modifications to your team:

Delphox Lv40( use 7 common candies)

1) Scratch replace with other moves light screen is good as suggested by timtim

2) Mystical Fire

3) Flamethrower

4) Psyshock

Mightyena Lv39

1) Bite

2) Swagger

3) Assurance

4) Scary Face

Houndoom Lv39

1) Bite

2) Odor Sleuth

3) Beat Up

4) Fire Fang

Pangoro Lv 39

1) Body Slam

2) Slash

3) Circle throw

4) Vital Throw

Wihiscash lvl 39

Item:None

Ability:any ability will do

Nature:the nature your barboach has

1) Earthquake

2) Aqua tail

3) Rest

4) Amnesia

Filler for 6th slot

Lead with Either houndoom or Mightyena. sweep everything he sends out and when he sends out rotom send in whiscash. set up a few Amnesia and rest when you need if not just Aqua tail him. whiscash can take hits cause well with Amnesia it is quite tanky against special attackers.

Meh you current team is kinda bad in term of typing are you doing some duo mono type run or something. Well i suggest training some other pokemons after you beat shade if not u will certainly have trouble with other gyms.

Yeah you're just severely underleveled. Delphox is very good for this battle despite his weakness to ghost and a level 40-39 one should be able to take half his team alone.I have no idea why delphox's level is even so high lol. And scratch? Dude wtf were you thinking, never keep tackle/scratch/pound etc. Your starter starts off with those moves for a reason, they're not worth using post evolution and frankly suck post early game.

I honestly wouldn't bother with hazards since two field boosted shadow balls or an energy ball is going to KO onix anyway and only Chandelure is really going to hurt from it. Chandelure has a sitrus berry and solid defense so watch out for it as well, Houndoom should be good against him since his only option against him that isn't resisted is hidden power electric which can possibly two shot houndoom with the field boost. That said I wouldn't completely count out Minun as discharge can remove the shadow ball boost and while Chandelure's hidden power electric can still get a boost, it won't be as powerful as a BZZZZZAP! boost off the original field which WILL happen given time, don't risk that. Just note that everytime you use discharge the field switches so don't get too greedy with spamming it unless your timing is good.

If you get your team levelled you shouldn't even need to change them(though I would personally after the match), but actually Piloswine with thick fat can set up a mist which will not only weaken shadow ball, but also power up mystical fire to where it could possibly two shot rotom(then again my Delphox had a lot of special attk EVS so it might not be as powerful for you). This gym's terrain is partly what makes this battle(and most leaders TBH) challenging and if you can change or take advantage of that you'll find yourself having an easier and more enjoyable time.

Your first priority is getting Deplhox back to earth though. If you need cash just rebattle the grand hall dudes.

^On whiscash, rest is currently kind of broke in that you end up sleeping an extra turn, which is bad considering how there's always a chance a field boosted critical shadow ball can happen(it happens at least once everytime I fight shade) which will ignore amnesia's stat boost and possibly KO him. I'd bring some awakenings so you can shorten rest's downtime. Chandlure's energy ball will still hurt like hell and he'll possibly survive an aqua tail which again can be problematic. That said Whiscash cans till do some good provided you aren't unlucky and I suppose stealth rock can help Whish with chandelure.

Another thing is that Pangoro learns crunch at 42, which if you can manage, will make him a LOT more effective this battle. Just an option to consider.

Edited by Monochrome_Complex

Thank you for everyone's advice, especially Timtim. I don't really understand IV training, its just a thing i've heard people train and breed for. As for typing, duomono was not intentional, for some reason I just naturally gravitate towards Fire and Dark types. That and fire was turned out to be more advantageous in the beginning. Actually, apparently Delphox likes me enough that it'll only ignore me 1 out of 5 times despite its level. While not a great choice for a sweep, its guaranteed to listen on the first go so its a good first striker. I kept scratch around for foes that were resistant to fire and psychic, I make the mistake of trying to train all-rounders. (My pokemon FireRed Wigglytuff has Solarbeam, Thunderbolt, Flamethrower, and Hyperbeam, for example) Delphox can knock out gengar (corey) but Banette became the heavy hitter. I got through Banette by pure chance using Pangoro, then immediately got thrashed by Rotom. I just added a Lv30 Zorua to my reserves, and Barboach has become Whiscash. I do have a few other Electric types such as Electrike Lv18, Pichu Lv9, Mareep Lv14 and Emolga Lv20. I also have on the side Snubbul Lv20, Happiny Lv25, Stunky Lv25 (heard Skuntank was a pretty heavy hitter) Castform Lv15, Teddiursa Lv14, Arbok Lv23, and Trubbish Lv12 for some types that aren't Psychic, Fire, or Dark (just realized most of my 3 boxes are psychic with speckles of grass, water, and flying mixed in. oops.) I have a bunch of common candies, but i've flipflopped with myself about using them because while trying to train my other pokemon as quickly as I can (grindings hard with a job, but I try) Delphox is kinda my ace in the hole. And to be honest, I want to try to get evolve my Noibat because Noivern was my greatest asset in Pokemon Y. Just not sure how well it'll work into my team and against the gyms in Reborn.

Edited by SicknTwisted94

Thank you for everyone's advice, especially Timtim. I don't really understand IV training, its just a thing i've heard people train and breed for. As for typing, duomono was not intentional, for some reason I just naturally gravitate towards Fire and Dark types. That and fire was turned out to be more advantageous in the beginning. Actually, apparently Delphox likes me enough that it'll only ignore me 1 out of 5 times despite its level. While not a great choice for a sweep, its guaranteed to listen on the first go so its a good first striker. I kept scratch around for foes that were resistant to fire and psychic, I make the mistake of trying to train all-rounders. (My pokemon FireRed Wigglytuff has Solarbeam, Thunderbolt, Flamethrower, and Hyperbeam, for example) Delphox can knock out gengar (corey) but Banette became the heavy hitter. I got through Banette by pure chance using Pangoro, then immediately got thrashed by Rotom. I just added a Lv30 Zorua to my reserves, and Barboach has become Whiscash. I do have a few other Electric types such as Electrike Lv18, Pichu Lv9, Mareep Lv14 and Emolga Lv20. I also have on the side Snubbul Lv20, Happiny Lv25, Stunky Lv25 (heard Skuntank was a pretty heavy hitter) Castform Lv15, Teddiursa Lv14, Arbok Lv23, and Trubbish Lv12 for some types that aren't Psychic, Fire, or Dark (just realized most of my 3 boxes are psychic with speckles of grass, water, and flying mixed in. oops.) I have a bunch of common candies, but i've flipflopped with myself about using them because while trying to train my other pokemon as quickly as I can (grindings hard with a job, but I try) Delphox is kinda my ace in the hole. And to be honest, I want to try to get evolve my Noibat because Noivern was my greatest asset in Pokemon Y. Just not sure how well it'll work into my team and against the gyms in Reborn.

You mean EV training, IV is the inherent genetic trait in a pokemon, it cannot be changed in any way, well, you dont necessarily have to EV train if you come up with a good strat, i dont EV train for in-game play, but i do soft reset for IVs and nature~Skuntank is a pretty decent mon esp couple with acid spray~I love spamming acid spray as it is one way to severely drop the opponent's special defense esp HP walls like Wigglytuff(yeah, your old partner XD)~Dont worry about losing common candies in vain 'cause its easily available in later game~Banette is pretty decent physical wallbreaker but many people here seems to disagree on the ground that its horrendous speed and defenses are holding it back, unless you pack it with priority moves(in this case, EV training is vital, which EV spread should focus solely on attack), priority moves being sucker punch, shadow sneak etc~Your mixed set strategy(Wigglytuff thing) is still applicable in Reborn, but preferably with better mons like Camerupt or Arcanine etc, Wigglytuff's role in the team is usually tank and not attacker~ Btw, dont rush into training Noibat as higher level noibat can be found later on~Ultimately, you will enjoy devising your own strats, our tips may be limited for your in game experience~

Really I'll just be happy if I can at least beat Shade. I did gain Zorua Lv30, don't know if I should evolve it yet, and I also got Corey's Nidorina and Croagunk both Lv28. How exactly do you EV train? Is it just spamming particular attacks in battle? I did manage to defeat that Lv57 Beartic with my Delphox at Lv48 and got smoochum. That's kinda what I meant by Delphox being my one-hit ace. Its high level so 1/5 it'll ignore me, but when it does hit its quite powerful. Great for one pokemon, not so great for a team sweep. I also realize this in hindsight, but even with ignoring me sometimes Delphox would've been more effective as Braixen, because Delphox's psychic type is mostly what's screwing me over. Kai (delphox) can power through Gengar but takes a ton of damage. Even if I switch out and heal him, when I switch him back in Banette is almost guaranteed a OHKO on him because of the field boost. I can change the field with Minun but Rotom changes it right back or rinses through my pokemon with the bzzap.

Edited by SicknTwisted94

This thread might have answer you needed for EV training http://www.pokemonreborn.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7866

I use my Delphox for support, will-o'wisp basically make pseudolegendary threats like Garchomp useless, burnt Garchomp's EQ only cut my Delphox HP into half which normally would KO'd Delphox instantly, plus my Delphox is Timid nature so he(yeah my guy Delphox, so proud of him) always outsped~

Every mon that excel in certain stat, say Garchomp for example it is attack, so when you knock out a Garchomp, it gives you 3 attack EVs, the rules apply to all other mons(some mons may give mixed stat EVs, like Chimecho gives 1 special attack and 1 sp defense EV)

Edited by TimTim