Official Gym Leader Help Thread

Deleted User

Woot, managed to beat her, I also subbed in magneton, which helped out a bunch, but leading with emolga and quagsire gave me a good start to the fight, then magneton got to throw discharges around left and right while quagsire just spammed yawn and amnesia.

Thanks for the advice, onward i go!

You're welcome. The setup I use for most Battles is look for what hits either one of their types hard with a STAB, some knowledge of their defenses is also quite useful. That's how I breezed through most battles but also a lot of battles took a lot of trial and error.

could defeat Noel, thanks for the tips

my problem now is with the gym leader psychic type, double battle :(

What i did for him is I didn't have very good type coverage for psychic, so I went back and caught a Drapion, trained it up to 57 so it could learn cross poison, and then tried again, wasn't too bad with him crunching everything. Currently smashing my face against charlette, had to resort to trick room since her entire team out speeds my entire team... and OHKOs most my my team to boot.

Edited by deadpool848

could defeat Noel, thanks for the tips

my problem now is with the gym leader psychic type, double battle :(

Get Joltik from North Adventurine woods, you can train it quite well in Vanhanen Labyrinth with all the Grass types and Girafarig there. Galvantula's Signal Beam can take out Exeggutor and Malamar, and it's Electro Ball can take out Sloking even before it sets up Trick Room.

I am also having a problem with Noel due to his stupid ass Clefable. heres my team.

Torterra lvl 51

Overgrow

Leech Seed

Giga Drain

Earthquake

Gengar lvl 45

Levitate

Shadow Ball

Dark Pulse

Confuse Ray

Shadow Punch

Ampharos lvl 51

Static

Discharge

Power Gem

Cotton Guard

Confuse Ray

Azumarill lvl 53

Huge Power

Superpower

Rock Smash

Aqua Tail

Rough Play

Rapidash lvl 52

Flame Body

Flame Wheel

Flare Blitz

Strength

Bounce

Meowstic (F) lvl 47

Infiltrator

Psychic

Signal Beam

Light Screen

Shadow Ball

Any help is appreciated because he is a huge pain to beat. Thank you

I am also having a problem with Noel due to his stupid ass Clefable. heres my team.

Torterra lvl 51

Overgrow

Leech Seed

Giga Drain

Earthquake

Gengar lvl 45

Levitate

Shadow Ball

Dark Pulse

Confuse Ray

Shadow Punch

Ampharos lvl 51

Static

Discharge

Power Gem

Cotton Guard

Confuse Ray

Azumarill lvl 53

Huge Power

Superpower

Rock Smash

Aqua Tail

Rough Play

Rapidash lvl 52

Flame Body

Flame Wheel

Flare Blitz

Strength

Bounce

Meowstic (F) lvl 47

Infiltrator

Psychic

Signal Beam

Light Screen

Shadow Ball

Any help is appreciated because he is a huge pain to beat. Thank you

You can make the fight much easier against his clefable since gengar can learn sludge wave I'm pretty sure. Just grind it up a couple of levels first. It may also help to KO wigglytuff before it can set stealth rock down.

An obvious yet helpful tip is to make sure you have something with a higher sp. def stat than its def. stat to send in against porygon-z. Really important you deny the AI its special attack boost as it makes the fight a hell of a lot harder otherwise.

A steel type would help, but I'd be using magneton for preference. It will help considerably against a good portion of his team, resisting and KO'ing swellow, wigglytuff and girafaring. Replace meowstic for this match as it's the least helpful. I think it can help against cincinno too, but I'm not sure it that has a fighting move. Make sure magneton has T-wave.

Rapidash can torch the field with certain moves as suggested, you'll need a heart scale and go back to the move relearner for it though.

Using Gengar as a Poison Type isn't recommendable because it doesn't learn any poison moves naturally and all it's Poison TM's aren't available.

Sludge wave, same as setting the field ablaze, will also damage your own Pokemon when they're sent out so it's also not recommendable.....

Fun fact about where you about Noel that i figured out the hard way: It doesnt burn. only the grass near a pokemon being attacked burns temporarily thus making Rapidash less useful. Like i said though, the only thing i need help with is Clefable. It's too damn tanky and then add Moonblast = kill me.

Fun fact about where you about Noel that i figured out the hard way: It doesnt burn. only the grass near a pokemon being attacked burns temporarily thus making Rapidash less useful. Like i said though, the only thing i need help with is Clefable. It's too damn tanky and then add Moonblast = kill me.

Poison is always the way to go ;) You have the TM for Sludge Wave, see if any of your pokemon can learn it.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Sludge_Wave_%28move%29

Sadly none of my current mons can. Any clue how i can get a Crawdaunt/Skrelp?

Yes, fish with a good rod at Apophyl Beach/Peridot Ward/Coral Ward. Any poisonous water really.

And since fishing in 14.5 got easier it shouldn't take long.

Don't let it evolve at 48 tho, keep it useless 1 more level so it learn Dragon Pulse at 49 then just let it evolve. Dragalge is slow but it's got defence for days. It eats Clafable and Wigglytuff for breakfast.

Crawdant I don't know actually, But I do know you can fish for Barboach in the Aqua hideout, it seems to be the only place with clear water. Maybe you can find Corphish at the lake there? Never fished in there...

Edited by Helia

Noel's Clefable has magic guard, so it pretty much doesn't give a fuck if everything around it is on fire.

Edited by Knight_Teutonic

Yeah, since I got the gengar suggestion wrong, I'd say go with dragalgae.

Alternatively, Nidoqueen/Nidoking are also nice to avoid parahax from wigglytuff while also getting a sizable boost from sheer force to sludge wave. Don't worry about harming your own pokemon. Once you take out porygon-z, magneton won't give a damn about the poisoned field and between it and dragalgae/nidoroyals, you should be fine.

Hi guys, I'm having trouble defeating Aya >.< Please tell me how I can beat her
My team:
Simipour (Lvl 43) : Scald, Brine, Acrobatics, Crunch
Drapion (Lvl 40) : Night Slash, Poison Fang, Toxic Spikes, Hone Claws

Donphan (Lvl 43) : Earthquake, Magnitude, Strength, Rollout

Unfezant(Lvl 40) : Air Slash, Air Cutter, Roost, Detect

Pyroar (Lvl 43) : Flamethrower, Strength, Headbutt, Endeavor

Klang (Lvl 39) : Gear Grind, Mirror Shot, Autotomize, Charge Beam

I also have Muk, Ampharos and Serperior in PC rotation
Thanks in advance!

My team:

Thanks in advance!

Have you thought of training a fast psychic type? such as Meowstic or Jynx? Either that or a mamoswine, which is better than donphan in my opinion, but i am not sure if you can get it anymore, anyways, good luck with it

My team:

Thanks in advance!

IIRC Aya leads with Muk and Tentacruel, so I would probably lead with Donphan and Unfezant. assuming your Unfezant can outspeed the Tentacruel. If it can try going for Air Slash on the Tentacruel and having Donphan use EQ. The best situation would be that Tentacruel flinches in which case you minimize the amount of damage you take in the opening turn, while potentially OHKO her leads. If all works out, you theoretically have an answer to most of her Pokemon, just watch out for the Sludge Waves and Spike/Toxic Spikes.

On the case that Unfezant does not outspeed her Tentacruel, might be best to simply lead with Klang and Ampharos (Replace Pyroar since its probably won't be useful in this battle). If you have any Ability Capsules that you can spare on hand, there is also the option to switch their abilities to Minus and Plus respectively just for this battle so they can get a 50% SpAtk boost.

IIRC Aya leads with Muk and Tentacruel, so I would probably lead with Donphan and Unfezant. assuming your Unfezant can outspeed the Tentacruel. If it can try going for Air Slash on the Tentacruel and having Donphan use EQ. The best situation would be that Tentacruel flinches in which case you minimize the amount of damage you take in the opening turn, while potentially OHKO her leads. If all works out, you theoretically have an answer to most of her Pokemon, just watch out for the Sludge Waves and Spike/Toxic Spikes.

On the case that Unfezant does not outspeed her Tentacruel, might be best to simply lead with Klang and Ampharos (Replace Pyroar since its probably won't be useful in this battle). If you have any Ability Capsules that you can spare on hand, there is also the option to switch their abilities to Minus and Plus respectively just for this battle so they can get a 50% SpAtk boost.

Nope she leads with Tentacruel and Nidoqueen now. Her Muk has been replaced with Venusaur.

EQ is not going to do as much damage unfortunately due to the field effect.

My team:

Thanks in advance!

I'd say that simipour is outdated by now, but i haven't faced Aya under the new field so yeah.

Doesn't Earthquake destroy the field?

Unfortunetly no, in the wasteland field, or whataver its called, earthquake deals x0.25 damage. However if you can find a pokemon that can learn mud bomb, that deals extra damage on that field. The way I beat aya is I went back and caught a wooper and magnemite, and trained them up. Since a good majority of her pokemon are special attackers, quagsire lasted pretty much the whole fight because of amnesia, and yawn really helped, as well as magnetone being able to completely resist the poison type moves. Just have to be carefull of the venasaur since that can do a number to quagsire. I also subbed in a solrock as something that can resist poison and learns psychic. I also trained all of my pokemon to 43/44 before taking her on.

Another thing, if it happens to be raining in your game, look into finding the mudkip event in the wasteland, swampert can be really good in that fight as it learns both nmuddy water and mud bomb early on, both of which deal extra damage on the field you fight Aya on.

Edited by deadpool848

Unfortunetly no, in the wasteland field, or whataver its called, earthquake deals x0.25 damage. However if you can find a pokemon that can learn mud bomb, that deals extra damage on that field. The way I beat aya is I went back and caught a wooper and magnemite, and trained them up. Since a good majority of her pokemon are special attackers, quagsire lasted pretty much the whole fight because of amnesia, and yawn really helped, as well as magnetone being able to completely resist the poison type moves. Just have to be carefull of the venasaur since that can do a number to quagsire. I also subbed in a solrock as something that can resist poison and learns psychic. I also trained all of my pokemon to 43/44 before taking her on.

Another thing, if it happens to be raining in your game, look into finding the mudkip event in the wasteland, swampert can be really good in that fight as it learns both nmuddy water and mud bomb early on, both of which deal extra damage on the field you fight Aya on.

IIRC, you need Strength to catch Mudkip - so it won't be helpful in that battle (unless Mudkip is your starter of course)

Nope she leads with Tentacruel and Nidoqueen now. Her Muk has been replaced with Venusaur.

EQ is not going to do as much damage unfortunately due to the field effect.

I see, the it might be best to lead with with Simipour and Drapion. Mainly since Simipour resist Tentecruel water moves and can potentially deal with Nidoqueen, while Drapion is overall bulky so should be able to take some hits and fire back as well. Since Aya does have a Venusaur now, probably keep either Pyroar or Unfezant and switch the other for for either Ampharos or Muk.