Riddle me this!

Dhanush D Bhatt

Hey guys. So this post is dedicated to riddles. The way this goes is, i ask a riddle and you guys answer. If i get a satisfactory answer i give out the next riddle. If not i shall give out the next riddle a day later along with the answer to the previous one These riddles are mainly logic based so give them your best :D
If anyone has any riddles, feel free to post them here.

Ok to start it off i shall ask 2 easy ones:

1) If you overtake the person who is third in a running race, what position will you be?

Comments: Easy but i have seen many people go wrong with this one

2) A bridge 2 kilo meters long can hold exactly 1000 tons and will break if it has a load greater than that. Before entering the bridge, a truck is weighed and is found to weigh exactly 1000 tons. The truck proceeds to cross the bridge. Halfway through, a bird weighing 200 grams sits on the truck. Yet the bridge does not break. Why?

Comments: Not as easy as the first one but a nice riddle

Reply with your answers :)

Edited by Dhanush D Bhatt

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Third. Duh.
2) It burned up that weight on gasoline.

Try harder. ;)

(EDIT: Also, about 2): who would say that (or let that happen)? Engineers have to keep a safety limit of at least factor 5-10 on constructions. For example: an elevator which can maximally carry 200 pounds has to be built so that it can carry 1000 pounds before breaking.
This is to evade accidents when accidentally crossing the told limit, and to evade plastic deformation, which could weaken the structure(s).
Also, that's quite the truck)

Edited by laggless01

1.) Le Bronze Medal

2.) Normal Person Answer: Birds don't sit on trucks, they nest

Engineer Answer: It is mathematically impossible for a bridge to hold an exact amount of weight as stress varies from different points of the bridge. If a bridge is able to hold 1,000 tons the whole way through, that would mean that the midpoint of the bridge is the weakest. That does not mean the other points of the bridge can hold more weight. Since the truck already crossed that point, the remainder of the bridge can handle more weight which would prevent the bird breaking the bridge.

1) Third, obviously.

2) "Halfway through, a bird weighing 200 grams sits on the truck". That may have been badly worded, but as is, nothing indicates that the bird landed there after the weighing.

That, or it's because of consumed fuel.

Yes the second one is badly worded but its just a riddle guys :P

1) third is the correct answer

2) weight loss due to fuel consumption is the correct answer.

The next riddle iiiisss:

3) A man strikes up a conversation with another man in a bar. He says "I know so many songs (no the man is not Ark). I bet a hundred bucks that if you give me any girl's name i can sing a song with that girl's name in it". The second man doesn't believe him and gives him a name. How can the first man win no matter what girl's name is given?

Comments : 2/5 Hint : all of you have done this at some point of time

If it would be possible, limit the riddles that have to do with playing with the English language. When trying to solve them, I think of them in my native language so it's a bit painful. Up to now I've found all of them.

Here's one from me:

You have two sticks that can be burned. Each is burnt whole in 1 hour. The rate in which they are being burnt is not proportionate to their length. For example half of the stick could burn in 5 minutes and the rest in 55. The whole stick however burns in 1 hour. How can you use them to count 15 minutes?

Here's one from me:

You have two sticks that can be burned. Each is burnt whole in 1 hour. The rate in which they are being burnt is not proportionate to their length. For example half of the stick could burn in 5 minutes and the rest in 55. The whole stick however burns in 1 hour. How can you use them to count 15 minutes?

Aargh this is complicated. Here goes

Cut the stick into 2 pieces. Light both the pieces from both ends. Now you have 2 cases:

1) Both pieces burn out at the same time. You just measured 15 minutes

2) One piece burns out before the other. Break the remaining piece into 2 pieces. Light both the pieces from both ends.

Keep repeating case 2 until you get a case 1

I can give a mathematical proof for this but i am too lazy :P

Edit: Thought of an easier solution:

Cut the stick into 2 pieces. Light one piece from both ends. As soon as that piece runs out, light the other from both ends.

Riddle 4 )

You have 9 coins of same shape and size. One is defective and is heavier than the others. You have a weighing balance with 2 pans. How do you find out which coin is defective by using the balance only twice?

A fun one that I know:

A father and son our out driving one day and hit some black ice, getting into a terrible car crash. The father dies on impact, but the boy is rushed to the hospital. When on the operating table, the doctor looks at the boy and says, "I can't operate, he's my son!"

How is that possible?

A fun one that I know:

A father and son our out driving one day and hit some black ice, getting into a terrible car crash. The father dies on impact, but the boy is rushed to the hospital. When on the operating table, the doctor looks at the boy and says, "I can't operate, he's my son!"

How is that possible?

Well since you didn't specify the surgeon was a male i am going to guess the surgeon is the son's mother

Riddle 4 )

You have 9 coins of same shape and size. One is defective and is heavier than the others. You have a weighing balance with 2 pans. How do you find out which coin is defective by using the balance only twice?

Take 4 coins, put 2 on one side of the scale and 2 on the other. If it's unbalanced, the coin is in one of those piles, the one that's lower/heavier than the other.

If the first 4 were balanced, try the next 4. If these 4 are balanced as well, it's the last, the 9th coin which hasn't been measured yet.

A fun one that I know:

How is that possible?

You never specifically stated that the driver was the son's father, therefore, the surgeon capable of being the boy's father.

Take 4 coins, put 2 on one side of the scale and 2 on the other. If it's unbalanced, the coin is in one of those piles, the one that's lower/heavier than the other.

If the first 4 were balanced, try the next 4. If these 4 are balanced as well, it's the last, the 9th coin which hasn't been measured yet.

The problem with your solution is that if the second pile of 4 coins is unbalanced then you have no way of finding the defective coin.

Ah, I've solved a similar one with 12 coins but you could weigh three times and should also show if the defective was lighter or heavier. It's almost the same, though a bit trickier.

The one with the 9 coins, I found a bit easier. The way I solve it (because I'm weird and give names) is:
name them 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9

take 123 and 456

if 123>456 then heavy defective in 123 pile

then weigh 1,2

if 1>2 then 1d, if 1<2 then 2d, if 1=2 then 3d

same with 456

if 123=456 then defective in 789

weigh 7,8

repeat process like 1,2

The solution on the one with the candles is correct. You can do it with 1 stick. I gave two so you could also

burn one at both ends and burn one at one end

when the first stick burns completely, 30 minutes have passed

now you can count 15' by burning the already halfway burnt second stick from both sides

RIDDLE
I have millions of yes, yet I live in darkness. I have millions of ears, yet only four lobes. I have no muscle, yet I rule over two hemispheres. What am I?

Edited by nickcrash

@Etesian and Nick : Yup that works.

To Nick's riddle :

The brain. It has millions of nerves for seeing or hearing. It is always in darkness. Has 4 lobes and 2 hemispheres but no muscle

(I've seen this one before)

My next riddle:
A teacher wanted to check the intelligence of 3 of her students. She tells them to sit in a triangle so each one can see the other 2. She tells them to close their eyes. She tells them 'I am going to place a blue or red cap on all 3 of you. When i tell you to open your eyes, you have to raise your hands if you see a blue cap'. She places a blue cap on all 3 of them.When they open their eyes, all 3 of them raise their hands. Shortly afterwards, one boy says 'I have a blue cap'. How did he come to this conclusion?