too old for games?

Samtale

• Developers

Im sure this might of been asked before ,but are you ever too old to play games? Honestly I never want to stop playing games. I love the monster designs in games, worlds, and puzzles that make you think outside of the box.

Im 21 right now and this has been something going on in the back of my mind. someday I hope to find someone who wont view playing games as a kid thing and will marry me one day, but Im always afraid Im going to be viewed only as a child for the rest of my life for liking games and I'll never have that chance at least that's the way I feel

sorry if this very personal but it does apply to games

Believe me bro, you're not alone on this one. To answer you question, no you're not. Video games are a form of expression that allows us to escape the hardships of reality into a world in which all manner of things are possible,much like painting or writing (in a broad sense). Believe it or not, I met my partner because of video games; it's part of what brings us together. If games are what you love, never let anyone make you feel any less because of it. That's my advice to you.

• Developers

Believe me bro, you're not alone on this one. To answer you question, no you're not. Video games are a form of expression that allows us to escape the hardships of reality into a world in which all manner of things are possible,much like painting or writing (in a broad sense). Believe it or not, I met my partner because of video games; it's part of what brings us together. If games are what you love, never let anyone make you feel any less because of it. That's my advice to you.

Thanks for letting me know your personal view, it made me feel better hearing your words of wisdom

I think it depends from game to game. If you play Dora the explorer when you're in your twenties...
Games can be for any audience, just like movies, books...name it. So no, writing off games in it's entirety as childish would be bollocks, and anyone who thinks so, knows little about them.
For example: I wouldn't recommend 'spec ops: the line' to a 12-year old...

P.S.: BTW, there's a recent video on YT from 'the game theorists' about SSB. Seems like SSBB's story is about something pretty similar.

I saw that. As for he topic at hand I always have the same answer. Being a child at heart =/= maturity.

I know people who are in their 30s that play video games and read comics who are hella mature. And I know people who avoid things like that at all costs who are immature as all holy crap. I am remembering a picture I saw on Facebook a few years ago where it had two pictures cropped together with a caption. One picture was of some nerds at a anime con cosplaying and the other picture had a bunch of fratboys partying. And the caption was "which one is considered" immature?

I'm 27 and I still play all my games. There is absolutely nothing wrong with playing em. :P I'll be a grandma playing video games still. Asking my grand kids if they know what a SNES or N64 is. xD Maybe even Dreamcast! And then I'll pull out my dusty box with all my old video games! Haha xD

Edited by Sazane

We're from an age where video-games have been around during our up-bringing. It's more rare to see a current 50 year old playing Pokemon, because they were not exposed to it as a child. I think there may be a few more senior adults playing games like Pokemon, or just a game on the latest version of the xbox. When we hit a similar age~

It's only like how the 12 year olds of today 'usually' have little respect for things like dreamcasts, N64's and so on?

(Though, this may just be from my experience, so far)

In a nutshell, I support the Dreamcast revival in the future! xD

Edited by Sparkblast

You are correct in many ways, but anyone older than... say 15-16 who still enjoys pokemon (meaning the majority here) would be shy and not participate in local events or tournaments, because the age group at which the franchise is targeted is below that. Our protagonist is a 10-yo

You are correct in many ways, but anyone older than... say 15-16 who still enjoys pokemon (meaning the majority here) would be shy and not participate in local events or tournaments, because the age group at which the franchise is targeted is below that. Our protagonist is a 10-yo

Could you imagine if Nintendo made a pokemon RPG aimed at Adults rather than Children? That'd be interesting.

Could you imagine if Nintendo made a pokemon RPG aimed at Adults rather than Children? That'd be interesting.

Pokemon X and Y were a bit more adult than the previous ones. Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are very disturbing when you read into them. Sea Mauville~

Maybe it'll happen one day, when they run out of ideas then we can wish?

Maybe it'll happen one day, when they run out of ideas then we can wish?

We can hope. I mean youngins aren't as interested in pokemon as much as before it seems :P Seems like their target audience is being reversed.

• Developers

You are NEVER too old for games, and dont let anyone else tell you otherwise. The concept of "being too old" for something is something completely made up by society and holds no grounds for what you truly want to do.

The thing about being too old for something is created by society. It is just some old outdated social construct that has affected almost ever single type of media that has ever existed. Video games are the new kid on the block in the eyes of media, they are very new and young in their life span. They have been around maybe 30 years at most, which in media is not a long time. ((they have come a long way from what they were at first, but it doesn't change the fact that they are very much a new piece of media.)). Everything in media has it's growth period. Video Games just got a start where being considered toys or for children was super reinforced by the games that originally came out. Old games had their limitations and as such it was hard to tell anything other than simple stories, and this further led to the assumption they were for children.

Similar happened to Tabletop/Board Games as well. But try having a kid play some of the crazy shit like Talisman(( very mild example.)0 or Twilight Imperium ((which is basically a 4x strategy game like Civilization, but in Boardgame form.)). Hell, even games like the Battlestar: Galactica Boardgame and other defector games would be tough to grasp.

The gist here is, things are targeted at audiences, and since games were largely targeted at children at first people assume they are only for children. But this isn't true. Something's targeted audience isn't it's only audience. Plenty of games these days are aimed at Teenage Males. Does that stop older folks, or even people of the lady persuasion from playing? Hell no. Targets are only there fro marketing teams. Society clings to them way to much imo and it is where the games are only fro children thing coems from.

I should note, the average age of gamers period is around 35, so more adults play games than teens even do. The info people use to say they are for kids is maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad outdated and it is mostly an excuse other media forms use to bash it because they realize they are being hurt by Video Games for sales etc...

So, love games. They do so much for people. They are proven to show actual increases in problem solving skills, and spacial awareness. SO they really do help you understand the world around you funnily enough. But they also bring people together that would otherwise never met. If I t wasn't for my love of the pokemon series I would have never come to Reborn, and I would have never met some of my best friends in the entire universe. I also met another super good friends through League of Legends. Games bring people from around the world together just to enjoy themselves and have fun. We get so much from gaming. And the more gaming becomes ingrained into our culture the more other media pushes back. They realize what gaming does with people. They realize just how much it catalyzes in people, how much it resonates with them. and as the media grows it gets more and more competent with story telling. Some games I have played have affected me just as deeply as a good book, or a powerful movie. Something like Brothers, that game with the 2 brothers you controlled. It told a story through it's game play, and while it was short, I felt so glad that I had played it. I truly cried at the end of that game. It showed me something beautiful through it's game play. The interactive nature of games has the chance to allow them to be the most powerful narratives ever created. Through their gameplay that can make us feel in a way no other media can. Gaming could possibly be one of the most powerful art forms if given the chance and I believe it too be one. It only needs to be unlocked, and the taboos of it being a child's toy or pastime must be expelled for it to truly spread it's wings and flourish.

The thing about being too old for something is created by society. It is just some old outdated social construct that has affected almost ever single type of media that has ever existed. Video games are the new kid on the block in the eyes of media, they are very new and young in their life span. They have been around maybe 30 years at most, which in media is not a long time. ((they have come a long way from what they were at first, but it doesn't change the fact that they are very much a new piece of media.)). Everything in media has it's growth period. Video Games just got a start where being considered toys or for children was super reinforced by the games that originally came out. Old games had their limitations and as such it was hard to tell anything other than simple stories, and this further led to the assumption they were for children.

Similar happened to Tabletop/Board Games as well. But try having a kid play some of the crazy shit like Talisman(( very mild example.)0 or Twilight Imperium ((which is basically a 4x strategy game like Civilization, but in Boardgame form.)). Hell, even games like the Battlestar: Galactica Boardgame and other defector games would be tough to grasp.

The gist here is, things are targeted at audiences, and since games were largely targeted at children at first people assume they are only for children. But this isn't true. Something's targeted audience isn't it's only audience. Plenty of games these days are aimed at Teenage Males. Does that stop older folks, or even people of the lady persuasion from playing? Hell no. Targets are only there fro marketing teams. Society clings to them way to much imo and it is where the games are only fro children thing coems from.

I should note, the average age of gamers period is around 35, so more adults play games than teens even do. The info people use to say they are for kids is maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad outdated and it is mostly an excuse other media forms use to bash it because they realize they are being hurt by Video Games for sales etc...

So, love games. They do so much for people. They are proven to show actual increases in problem solving skills, and spacial awareness. SO they really do help you understand the world around you funnily enough. But they also bring people together that would otherwise never met. If I t wasn't for my love of the pokemon series I would have never come to Reborn, and I would have never met some of my best friends in the entire universe. I also met another super good friends through League of Legends. Games bring people from around the world together just to enjoy themselves and have fun. We get so much from gaming. And the more gaming becomes ingrained into our culture the more other media pushes back. They realize what gaming does with people. They realize just how much it catalyzes in people, how much it resonates with them. and as the media grows it gets more and more competent with story telling. Some games I have played have affected me just as deeply as a good book, or a powerful movie. Something like Brothers, that game with the 2 brothers you controlled. It told a story through it's game play, and while it was short, I felt so glad that I had played it. I truly cried at the end of that game. It showed me something beautiful through it's game play. The interactive nature of games has the chance to allow them to be the most powerful narratives ever created. Through their gameplay that can make us feel in a way no other media can. Gaming could possibly be one of the most powerful art forms if given the chance and I believe it too be one. It only needs to be unlocked, and the taboos of it being a child's toy or pastime must be expelled for it to truly spread it's wings and flourish.

tumblr_n3n5p6ePBB1rsxqqio1_500.gif

I applaud you sir.

You pretty much nailed it. every medium has gone through such a phase, being seen as only for a specific target audience.

A problem with the stigma of games not getting broken is that it gets generalized to which ones get the most attention, and those games tend to be, or marketed, childish or juvenile (refer to EA's promotion campaigns of, like, dante's inferno or dead space 3, for example).

Games that push the boundaries are generally less successful, but, unlike movies, they don't get the attention they deserve, while movies have the Oscars, Golden Globes, Cannes...since the few game award shows that exist now aren't even close to those standards. Extra Credits made a compelling video about the latter subject, if I'm correct.

Old games are still enjoyable. I use to have a DreamCast, a PlayStation, a Nintendo and a GameCube but they're broken, sadly. I still have the classic xbox though and I think there is still a bunch of GameCubes around that costs about $20 somewhere.

I remember my brothers playing some Star Wars, Soul Reaver, Sonic Adventures, Mega Man, Super Mario Strikers, Mario Kart: Double Dash and many others that are a bit hard to explain. But yeah, old games are very nostalgic. ;_;