Exodus: Beyond Eden Chapter 1: Into the unknown [IC]

Sutoratosu

"Not again" Kenshin said under his breath as the predators of the forest seem to attack them once again.Kenshin pucker his lips and release a long train whistle, signaling his pet drone to attack the wolf that was on top of Zero. from outta nowhere, the orb drone shows up as tries to ram the wolf with great speed, guess you can say it came in like a wrecking ball.

Edited by typhlosionrulez

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vixen, as per the Sniper's job immediately whipped around to check on the main force. She saw them being set upon by the Mossy, Wolf-Beasts, she took steps be concealed as possible, so they wouldn't charge her position. She readied her long rifle, first setting her sights on Wolf assaulting Garren. She released another shot form her Long Rifle straight for the thing's Head.

The wolf atop Garren was blown away by the force of the Round Vixen fired, sneding it rolling down the hill and slaming against a tree. It's skull had been completely blown apart by the bullet, unfortunately this meant that alot of rather undesirable gore was on the visor of Garren's helmet and his chest... but at least the man was alive... unable to see anything through the layer of blood and grey matter on his helm, but alive nonetheless.

The wolf assualting Zero dodged and rolled off the man, yanking him upright on the ground and using him as a makeshift shield... which Kenshin's drone plowed right into, destroying what little shield that Zero had left in his Exo Suit and breaking several of his ribs with the remaining impact force. The Moss Wolf got it's claws up into the chinks in the back of his armor, holding him out in front of it as it stood... then with the other hand, it reached up and tore of his helmet, sending the thing flying against a nearby tree, probably breaking it.

The beast issued another howl, holding Zero like a Riot Shield. These things... they were definately smarter than the Monochromes... the fact that this one had thought to use Zero as a human shield and virtually take him hostage proved it. And it was obvious it intended to use him as a hostage... because it didn't anything further to inflict harm on him, just held him.

A moment later it had picked up a rather large tree limb from the forest floor, using it like a bat and sending Kenshin's drone flying into a tree, breaking a few pieces off of the machine. it lay there, immobilized. The Moss Wolf then glared up at the soldiers atop the hill, puffs of steam issuing from it's mouth. It would be virtually impossible for any of them to hit it without also hitting and killed Zero as well, given that his shield was no longer sustained without his helmet... precisely what the wolf intended... The other wolves seemed a bit hesitant in their assaults now, ceasing their wild charges... obviously this one holding Zero was the Alpha male...

===============================

Health:

Zero 0% (No longer wearing helmet, shield completely inoperable)

Kenshin's drone 0% (Damaged heavily, repairable)

Zero's Helmet ??? (Likely to be damaged...)

((To clarify, all Moss wolves have stopped attacking.))

Kenshin stood there idly, on top of the hill, frighten of what these things are capable of. shit this wolves are smater than i taught, what are these abomination? he question himself as the drone was lying there on the tree, within the radius of the alpha wolf, the drone seems to be heavily damage and battered, but still functional. maybe i can detonate b.o.l.t. to end all of this, NO! that would be stupid, ill be killing Zero in the process, ill just save it as my last resort if this doesn't end well.

"guys i think we have a situation here. it seems our ally has been taken hostage by a wolf" he said through his audio of the team. Kenshin put down his arc caster on the ground showing a sign of peace to the wolf.

The wolf turned it's attention to Kenshin as it noticed him placing his weapon on the ground. It nodded, still holding Zero, and looked at the other squad members before issuing an authorative roar at it's Pack underlings. Silently, one of the ten survivors reverted back into all fours position and walked slowly down the slope, stopping behind him in a sitting postition...

It was obvious how this was going to play out now. even without words, this Wolf was negotiating for the lives of his children and grand children. For every weapon he saw placed on the ground, he'd order another of them to move away from the squad... perhaps there was a way to save Zero yet.

=====================

Party B's Demands: lower all weapons.

Party B's term's of reward: Zero gets released upon demand's being met.

Vixen's voice came over the comms. "Leave them go, they don't want to fight anymore. Look at how their tactics have changed, they went from a full-on assault to taking a hostage. These Beasts aren't stupid, and I reckon they have at least base reasoning skills if they changed tactics that drastically. You lot are going to have to trust me on this one, because even I can't get a clear shot of the one holding him."

Sarah huffed in agitation and stowed away her arc caster in turn, after sitting on the ground in order to make herself seem small and avoiding eye contact with them. "Guys," she said quietly, "you need to make yourselves seem like you aren't as big a threat; eye contact and body language plays into this. Try what I'm doing and see if it helps." The girl was aware of how intimidation worked, and how to best counteract it.

Big instinctively turned his body towards the Mossy Wolf speeding up towards him and shot with his AR right at the thing's chest, moving backwards at the same time to keep some distance. Those beasts seemed to be way less armored than the Monochromes, although they were faster, and as such he used the little time he had to swiftly switch to his Machine Gun and use it to try and shoot any stray Wolf that came near his companions.

That was when Zero, right behind him, got hit. Soon the whole situation had changed into a hostage scene. Tense situatins aside, Big couldn't help admiring how smart these beasts seemed to be.

"Hehe, that will be a little tough for me Miss Sarah." he answered to the girl. "But guess it's worth a shot." With that, Big slowly kneeled near her and put his MG to the ground.

Another fierce roar from the Alpha male. Two more Moss Wolves reverted themselves to all fours and then walked down the hill, joining the sibling behind their grandfather's protective scheme of using a hostage. This confirmed it without a doubt. The team would have to keep this up to avoid any more fighting. Meanwhile the wolves still on the hill began to back away slowly from the soldiers, seeing how Sarah and Big had gotten down and made themselves less of a threat. They were hungry, yes... but they knew that their father's orders would keep them alive right now. attacking these things had been a mistake; they had proven themselves to be far more than capable of fighting back.

They'd have to resign themselves to simply leaving and finding less volatile prey. That is, or course, so long as none of the humans botched the negotiation.

JACE

"I remember that day..." Jace said as he panted before the giant of an alpha male he was facing. a short, serrated blade that sparkled like the night sky hung lazily in his hand. The Monochrome Patriarch stood not far ahead of him, having rendered itself visible upon realizing the Major could tell where he is. It's black hide had streaks of swirled and creamy white splattered across it from head to tail. it's claws were short and curved like a raptors, while it's legs were long and thickly muscled. The thing resembled a giant Geeko crossed with a Komodo dragon... and that's exactly how Jace remembered the one he'd killed two years ago.

"You killed my entire fire team that day..." he continued, clenching the blade in his hand and forcing himself to stand upright. nearby his Chimera rifle lay in pieces along with his shot gun and pistol. This bastard was smart, destroying all his ranged weaponry and forcing him to take it on hand to hand. But he was more than ready. "Do you see this blade?" he asked, holding the weapon out in front of him with the flat turned towards the lizard. "It's the same one I used back then. All four of their names are engraved on it now... and today, I'm going to make sure I don't have to inscribe anyone else's name in this metal." He got down low into the standard combat stance taught to all ESF, Low enough to dodge any high blows, yet still move quickly and hit all the vital organs... of course, this fighting style was developed for use against other humanoids, but that hadn't stopped him before.

"That's a very interesting story, major..." Quiet called down from the forest canopy. "But I'm afraid you're going to have some company for this." he dropped down onto the forest floor beside Bane, rolling to distribute the impact. Both his guns were at the ready, his black shades fixed on the Alpha.

"Care to explain why you disobeyed my orders to retreat, Soldier?" Bane said, not taking his eyes off the beast.

"I had the hunch that you were going to do something... unwise here." Quiet said. "Enough chit chat... it's coming." the moment he finished speaking, the alpha roared, confirming his evaluation. it charged towards them, twice as large and fast as any of it's pack members had been.

But both Jace and Quiet were ready. Words were not needed to communicate their strategy here...because it was obvious to both of them.

Garen rose slowly from where he lay on the ground. He was unsure who had shot the wolf that had jumped him, but he would have to find out later and thank them. He wiped a gloved hand over his visor to try to clear the blood, though it mostly just smeared. He had heard through the audio feed that the beasts were trying to negotiate, though he couldn't have truly believed such a thing until he saw it now, with his own eyes. The wolves had lined up behind what he believed to be the Alpha Male, and the squad had lain down their weapons. He walked over to the others, slowly removing his two pistols from his side and placing them beneath him. He looked up at the wolves in awe. As much time as he had spent in nature, he had never encountered another being with this level of intelligence.

"Amazing..." he began, his voice reflecting his amazement. "Simply amazing... the level of intelligence they must have... in a wolf!"

Another roar. Three more Mossys went to all fours again and walked down the hill to join the rest of their pack. Things seemed to be going well enough... only a few wolves remained at the ready. Who would be the next to lower their guns and further the peace being brokered?

============================

Situation Report

Wolves withdrawn from attack: 6/9 ((Note that this count does not include the Alpha Male))

Wolves left on hill: 3/9

Party B's terms: Lower all weapons and end hostility

Kenshin keeps his eyes on the wolves at all times.. and has been counting how many of his team has disarm themselves.Discretely the engineer turns on his comm contacting his acting commander Garen.

"Garen...Garen do you copy" he said in the scouts radio "i have an uneasy feeling about this, so i come up with a contigency plan if this negotiation went south" the engineer sighed "i dont know what these wolves are up to, either way its better to be safe than sorry." he pause an continue with his last resort plan. " i can detonate my drone, seeing its within the radius of these wolves,its blast should kill these muts. unfortunately we have to sacrifice Zero in the process...these wolves are desperate captain, but so am i...the needs of the many outweighs the need of the few, i hope it wont come to that seeing almost all of our team is unarm... its your call, waiting for further instructions" Kenshin said as he observes his surroundings.

Garen turned to Kenshin, a bewildered look upon his face, though it probably couldn't be seen through the layer of blood.

"What are you saying..." he began, his naturally calm demeanor being the main reason that he wasn't furious right now. "We should abandon Zero, aggravate the wolves, and lose a piece of equipment that may be very valuable later in the mission, all while we seem to be on terms of peace?! No. If, for some reason, these wolves do decide to attack us again, our weapons are right at our feet."

He almost went into a speech about how it is against the very nature of almost any animal, especially an animal with this level of intelligence, to make such a choice when they could flee and survive, but he realized that the other man would probably have almost no idea what he was talking about, as Garen likely knew more than most of the others here about the subject of nature. He continued.

"We DO NOT leave anyone behind. That's what the major has been stressing ever since we arrived here. Battle is when our integrity is truly tested. Can we be a team, and do whatever it takes to make sure every single one of us makes it through alive, or will we panic and save our own skin? I don't know about you, but as long as I'm in charge, we will be the team that looks out for each other. For now, the wolves appear to want peace. If their minds change, then we come up with a different plan, but it will be one that includes keeping Zero alive."

He returned his gaze to the wolves, saying one final thing into the comm for everyone to hear.

"Now, if there are any of you that have yet to place your weapons on the ground, do so now. That's an order from your standing captain."

"Fine." Vixen's voice said coming over the radio. She placed her long rifle aside. However, she increased the magnification in her helmet lens. She still wanted to be able to see what was going on. She stayed flush with the ground, staying hidden.

"I trust your judgement captain" Kenshin spoke with through all the team's comm. "But if so ever, we end up like Zero down there, then its on you...over and out" Kenshin said as he remove his helmet.and whistles again to deactivate the drone down below.

Arieta was the second to last to place her weapons to the forest floor, sighing in disappointment. I would rather just blast them straight to hell... But orders are orders, I guess... She reached up and stripped off the Flashbang belt she wore across her shoulders and tossing them down beside her RPG on the ground. Then came the belt of incendiaries... and then the frags... where was the C4? oh, here. Guess she should probably put the Detonators with them too...

By the time she was down relinquishing her cache of explosives, Vixen had already placed her long rifle on the ground in the distance... strange... would the Alpha even be able to tell whether or not she had complied? The Sniper was pretty well hidden, hell, Arieta herself had a hard time discerning her from the surrounding foliage, and she was closer than anyone else.

One last howl came up from the maw of the alpha male, answering the Blast Trooper's Question. the Three remaining Wolves reverted back to normal and walked down the hill, joining their cousins and parents. Another roar of authority, and they all formed into an arrow formation behind him, eyes glued to the Human's up on the hill. One of the older pack members wandered off beyond sight, returning a minute later with a strange looking object... Zero's helmet. the She Wolf walked over to her father and presented it to him, which he promptly took and clasped back down on Zero's head and restored the Closed Environment of his exo-suit... this was getting more and more intriguing by the minute... it seemed these things had some understanding of how the armor worked. fascinating, if only they had an Exo-Biologist with them...

A large crash echoed from the distance a moment afterwards. The Alpha began sniffing the air subtly... an easy source of food for the pack had just come about... and a very large one at that. They wouldn't go hungry tonight. A snarl issued forth from his mouth, all of the pack members dashed off towards the noise... if any of the Soldiers had bothered to pay attention to the direction, they'd realized it had come from where they'd left Jace. Within a few seconds, all of the Moss wolves had disappeared into the underbrush; except for the Head Honcho. He looked around at the soldiers one last time, and it was obvious what he was doing. He had sent them away before he himself had chosen to go. This way he could ensure the terms were met and held.

He released Zero onto the ground, backing away from the man and reverting to all fours. in either stance, he was noticeably far bigger than any of the others. His pack must have been relatively young then, for such a size difference to be apparent. He cast one last glance...right at where Vixen was hiding on the ground. Her stealth meant nothing to his superior senses; there wasn't a single squad member he had been unaware off. Then without a single noise, he tore off into the forest behind his descendants. moving so fast he was just a blur. there was no way any of them would've been able to hit the beast even if they had their weapons in their hands. Then he was gone.

JACE

"Not today..." The boy commander said triumphantly as he brought his weapon up to bear against the Alpha. The thing had been severely wounded from the assualt with Quiet's... ability. It's hide riddled with bullet wounds, at least a good two hundred 40 caliber rounds had been pumped into the thing by the Mysterioso within barely ten seconds... with Hand guns. And the damn thing still wasn't going to go down. But Bane had a final solution. Just like back then.

He gave the verbal command within his helmet to release the backup sheild generation units in his suit, prompting the two cylindrical magnetic devices to dislodge from the Suit's main power unit, spinning faster and faster with every second. Soon a noticeable whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiir began to fill the air. A warning message came up on his screen, an advisory against the tactic he was about to use. He simply ignored it, watching as his Shield reserves plummeted straight to nothing and beyond it. The hilt of the Serrated blade in his hands connected with the contact strips on the gloves of his ESF exo suit, forming a solid conduit for the Electro Magnetic power he was about to redirect into it.

"This is what happens..." he began, getting in close to the Monochrome's underside and dodging the things vicious strikes with it's massive claws. "When you fuck with Special Forces." The sword up along with his arm, coming around in a blinding arc that left the scent of burned ozone and sizzling air. A Field burst forth from the Tactical Sword, cutting into the Monochromes flesh like pure butter and tearing it's skull right off of it's thick neck, sending up a massive crash as the heavy thing hit the barren ground. The battered and wounded Body spasmed for a few moments, then fell still. It was over. The fight was done.

"How dense are these thing's bones?" Quiet asked, appearing beside him from his former position in nearby cover. "The amount of noise that skull made when it hit the ground was ridiculous."

"Their incredibly so..." Jace said, dropping his melee weapon to the ground and walking closer to the slain lizard. "Exo-Biologist have never figured out how the hell it is they could've possibly needed them that dense without dying out from the burden of their own bodies weight. Factored in with the fact of how fast they move even despite the bone issue..."

"We have more company..." Lance said, looking off into the distance. "And they're even faster."

Jace turned and looked, seeing what the Gunslinger was talking about. a pack of Mossers, about ten strong. Young from the look of it, since one of them, obviously the Alpha Male, far outsizes all the others. Looks like the granddaddy wolf had gotten around a lot, and so had his offspring.

"Damn it..." Bane sighed, retrieving his sword quickly. "And right after I expend my suit's entire Shield reserves on this tango behind us..." He was interrupted by a hand grabbing his shoulder roughly, a familiar black shawl falling over his Helmet's visor as he felt himself being pulled backwards, slammed against something hard. Lance's voice came over the Audio Feed.

"Don't move... They're passing by now... that Lizard must've attracted them for the prospect of a free meal. Looks like we might be stuck here for a while."

Lance had a complete view of the things as they went on two legs and began tearing into the dead Alpha Mono. Yes...this was indeed a young pack. they ate as if they hadn't in a while. Typical, given that young Mosser Alphas almost never claimed sizable territories to hunt on. Not with the old geezers always prowling around with their larger, more mature packs.

He had pinned himself and Major Bane against a tree with a darker colored bark than it's neighbors, so aphotic it was nearly black. Lance and his shawl blended in near perfectly if he kept still. The Moss Wolves were to close to try getting away right now though. His earlier observation had been right. They'd have to wait the hungry bastards out until they were full and now longer interested in eating anything.

As soon as the wolves left, Garen ran over to Zero, taking off his helmet as he did so.

"Are you all right?" he asked, kneeling by the man. He didn't appear to be injured too severely, though Garen still found it a good idea to ask. He glanced behind him at the others, flashing a grin.

"Good work everybody. Nature is all about the survival of the fittest, and we just proved to those wolves that we are no easy meal. They couldn't have taken us without sustaining heavy losses, so they chose to retreat instead. It's a bit of logic that's natural for almost any animal -- remember that."

He stood up, offering Zero a hand, glancing around for a water source at the same time. He'd like to get a chance to wash the blood off of his helmet so he could see more clearly. He had a feeling he'd be needing it's protection for a time to come...

Vixen grabbed her rifle and started to scan the horizon again, looking for any signs of movement. Her voice came over the comms again. "Those things were smarter than your average beast Garen, I wouldn't get used to others being that intelligent. If you noticed, the Monochrome's had a entirely different reaction during the fight, the more of them that died the faster the others became. They seemed to be fulled by revenge. We aren't dealing with Natural animals CO, so we have no idea how they will react until we see for ourselves."

She was still concealed, waiting to get a good eye over the scene before getting back on the move.

Sarah bounced up to her feet. "See, I told you it would work!" she said loftily, bouncing over to Zero. "Are you okay? That was quite something you've just been through; do you need any help? I can help you walk," the girl spoke, seemingly all in one breath.

Kenshin stood there on the top of the hill and shock what just transpires, there's a good chance that those wolves would betray them in anyway. maybe the engineer was over thinking and was cynical about things, maybe the acting captain just got lucky, either way its all over now.

The boy slides down the slope and puts his helmet on, not to check on Zero, but the pieces of exo-suit and his busted-up drone. its not his job to fix people but to fix machines. As he went pass the kneeling scout, Kenshin spoke up.

"Good call Garen" he started. "I'm quite impress, but there will be time you won't be able to save everyone and i hope you are prepared when that time comes, either way congratulations on your first job leading the team." Kenshin said as he went straight to pick up his machine orb.

"No, I'm alright." Zero said obviously not alright. "I just need to wipe off this blood and I'll be ready." He said walking to a near by puddle and cleaning the helmet from any blood then put it back on. His whole body was hurting him but that wasn't going to stop him from reaching his goal. "Lets go, we've wasted enough time already." He said having his arms rest on his blades again.

Garen nodded to Zero, washing his own helmet as well. He thought back to what Vixen had said earlier -- about how the monochromes had acted differently. She had a point. Perhaps he was applying a bit too much of "normal animal" logic to these advanced creatures. He decided that he'd have to be more careful about that in the future. While there were times when such knowledge could come in handy, as it just had, there would likely be other times were those sorts of assumptions could cost the team, and he definitely did not want that.

When his helmet was cleaned, Garen returned it to its place on his head and spoke to the team once more. He pointed in the direction the wolves had ran off to.

"I'm a bit worried about the major..." he began. "The wolves left suddenly in his direction, as if they had found new prey. But while my gut is telling me to wait or to go back for him, the major's orders were to continue forward no matter what. We can take a short break if anyone needs it, but we need to continue north as quickly as possible. This place is already showing itself to be dangerous, and I don't want to see what it's like at night."

He paused for a second before being startled by a sudden realization. He spoke urgently into the comm.

"Where is Quiet? Was he here when we left the major?"