Exodus: Beyond Eden Chapter 1: Into the unknown [IC]

Sutoratosu

"He wasn't with us this entire time I would have seen him. Must have stayed behind with the Major. But that isn't our problem now, we have our mission." Vixen said. "We best make it to where we are going before Nightfall, or at the very least to a more easily defendable position."

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Like I said before, we've wasted enough time. We need to move now if we're to get there before sun down." Zero said before kneeling down from his pain. "I'm sure the Major will be fine, he wouldn't go kill himself just to buy us some time."

Edited by EXLink32

So Quiet was missing. Hopefully he was with the major, and he hadn't gone off on his own and gotten himself killed. But worrying about Quiet could wait. They needed to move quickly to Eden. Garen spoke through the comm, relaying his next decision.

"If nobody needs a break, then we're moving forward. We'll have to simply assume that Quiet is with the major. We don't have time to go back looking for him. Resume the formation and we'll continue moving northward. I'll check the cliffside every now and then so we aren't ambushed from above like before."

Kenshin picks up his drone,as they were set to embark on the dangerous woods once again, that bipedal mutt got you good, it seems i have to wait an hour before i fix you or until then we have to find a safe spot to camp in this treacherous forest.,for now you're just portable power supply, The engineer attach a huge jumper cable to his drone and into his Arc caster,serving it as a huge reactor to boost up the gun's lightning attack, the boy puts on the drone on his back like a proton pack( kinda like in the ghostbusters).

Kenshin nodded as he goes into position, Hopefully the team will make their verdict soon, as the engineer was ready to set foot.

Edited by typhlosionrulez

Big calmly picked his gun from the floor, and quickly made it ready for use again. "Well, that was new. I never saw animals that smart before, we gotta give them that." Walking back to his position in the formation, the big man kept talking. "No break needed here, thanks CO. Let's keep going, I'm sure the others will be ok!" He said, giving everyone a thumbs up.

"here you can have my spot in the middle" kenshin offers his spot to Zero "seeing you're not 100% fully recovered" the engineer said to the man that he was about to blow up a moment ago, luckily he had his helmet on to avert any eye contact.

"that's not a request" kenshin quickly answer. "you're vulnerable, you have no armor to protect you,let alone you can barely walk, youll only jeopardize the teams frontline defense..im only doing this for the team safety,and that includes you"

"Yes, Zero, We can't save your ass every fight." Vixen said over the comms. "And Garen keep your eyes peeled it is better we have at least 2 sets of eyes rather than just one. Everyone else, keep your eyes peeled ahead and make sure we are on target."

"Well Garen, what do you think I should do? Seeing as you're the head at the moment I think you should have a say in this."

Garen spoke into the comm.

"I'd have to agree with the others here, now that they bring it up. It's not that I don't think you can handle it, but a man can only take so much, and your shields are down on top of your injuries. Switch to a position in the middle, and Kenshin can take your place in the front since he volunteered. As Vixen mentioned, everyone should take a look up on the cliffside once in a while, though the ground is our main concern. With all of our eyes, we shouldn't miss much."

Edited by Flux

Retaking her position, Sarah retook out her arc caster with a smile. This was getting to be so exciting, though she couldn't forget her other goal of helping her parents. The girl was so excited to finally be doing something to help her parents and everyone else that a slight bounce entered her step as she scanned the horizons eagerly.

Kenshin steps forth in the frontlines as he observes forest, as his mind wonders off thinking why in the blue hell are those things attacking them... unless.. the engineer had an epiphany as he realize something "listen" he started as his voice went through the comm.

"i think theres a pattern here, everytime we go a mile those hunters keep attacking us, you know why.. its because we're stepping foot in their territory.. im no animal expert but i believe these things are more threaten to us as we are to them..the bestcourse of action is to get away from them asap, we have enough firepower and utilities to provide distraction for our escape, either we stun them or traquilze them. we don't need to take them down if not nescesary. we fight smart, we flee and live to fight another day, i know its a cowardly thing to do but its better than being their next meal, dont forget our main objective"

"Arieta" the engineer call out "i believe you're our explosives expert.. i think you can provide cover for us with your flashbangs and whatnot, so i entrust you with that duty" Kenshin said waiting for a response.

Garen spoke sternly into the comm upon hearing Kenshin's idea.

"No. We are not breaking from this path without a good reason. While it may be true that we are in their territory, anywhere we can go out here is something's territory. Running isn't going to cut it. If we run, there is a good chance they'll follow us, and then we could attract new threats on top of that the farther we go. Besides that, it seems that most things out here are both bigger and faster than humans. Even if we can distract them, they could catch up to us in no time. Think of how fast those wolves moved. We could never have outrun them."

He sighed, the weight of his leadership bearing down on him. His decisions could very well determine the lives of the entire group, and that was a big responsibility. Besides that, they had no real idea of where they were going other than "north." All he had to go on were the major's final instructions before they parted ways.

"For now, we continue north. This is a time when diurnal animals are hunting, and I find that a more likely cause for the attacks than a territorial dispute. Most animals will recognize when someone or something is simply moving through, and won't attack unless we loiter. Soon things will transition into night time, when these beasts will likely be sleeping and the nocturnal ones will awake to hunt. I don't plan for us to be out and about when that time comes. If we push northward at a good pace, we can hopefully make it to camp before nightfall."

The sun soon started to set overhead as Chimera 1 trekked along the beaten forest trail, various nocturnal bird species beginning to come out in the fading light to sing their mating calls, the notes mingling in the air and forming a beautiful orchestra of natural noise. All else was silent in the area as they walked, as if the other animals had gone quiet out of solemn respect for the melodies. The sky went to a soft orange in color, then magenta, and then a subtle, cold blue set in as the sun finally disappeared.

Something was very wrong however. And the bird's symphonies did not hide that fact from Arietta, who had been monitering the GPS on her helmets HUD display the whole time... it had said they were heading north towards Eden for quite a while now... but she had gradually come to trust the thing less and less as her eyes had told her a very different story. In fact, it had become so obvious to her that she was surprised that Garren hadn't noticed or said anything.

"Stop," she ordered angrily over the comms. "Everyone...just stop marching. It's obvious that something's been fucking around with the navigation in all of our Helmets for a while now. At first I thought that maybe either the Pilot of the ship or even Major Bane himself had made a mistake when he told us we were just a mile south, that maybe we'd been dropped far further... but this is ridiculous, even if he did so happen to get the information wrong. For the love of God, A days long walk to even get to base camp makes no sense considering the things running around this forest, a group is more likely to get picked off by the predatory wildlife than ever make it to the objective location. To make it even worse, it seems that the maps are all set up to reflect that '1 mile south' data point. Go on, check you HUDs... I can't be the only one whose map still says this right now..." Even as she spoke she turned on an infrared scan layered over a thermo in her Helmet, scanning the forest around them... so far all she could pick up in the results was the multitude of small birds singing up in the canopy.

Her attention was drawn away, however, when the virtual compass point on her Map display stared spinning rapidly without warning, the thing going into static as if recieving some type of heavy interference... and the same exact thing was going on inside of everyone else's helmets. the Mapping system had gone completely down... and unbeknownst to all, the comms were the next thing about to go... and soon the shields would start malfunctioning as well.

And then Arietta saw it... the shape descending from the dusk sky. All the Bird's singing stopped immediately as a fierce roar broke through the air. The hunger of the cry was palpable, as was the excitement... whatever this thing, unseen in the descending darkness of night, was... it seemed that it had been tracking them for quite a while.

"Shit..." she said into the Comms. "We got another tango, flanking us from our 4!" all that anyone else heard however, was her voice coming in broken word fragments "Sh...Nother...From...4!" Then there was a burst of static and the entire comm system crashed, coming up in a bright red error message in all of their HUDs.

Dobby...

"Where is Major Bane and his men?" Lt. Stone demanded from the Technician monitoring the Suit Signatures on the monitor set up against the back wall of the large white canvas tent. His face and voice were obscured behind his black and white helmet, the insignia of the ESF corps emblazoned upon the chest of his suit, his blade sheathed in the specialized Scabbard at his side. His voice came over harsh and distorted into an authoritative growl by the masking unit in his helmets comm.

"They're...well sir," The Technician stammered into the comm of his own Exo suit, intimidated by the other man. "From what we can tell... they're ten...ten miles due north of here."

"How is it even possible they overshot by such a ridiculous distance?" He demanded. "The ship drop off point was only a mile way, with a two mile detour along a forest ridge that would rise in elevation and bring them to the top of the plateau... it was a simple trail to follow, every person here did just that last week when we ourselves were dropped off." he walked over to the thin monitor, taping his finger to the red dots on the topographical map display. "So why the hell are they not here by now, but instead ten miles north? That's an overshoot so large that it has to be either sabotage or intentional."

"I...I'm trying to hail Major Bane now, sir..."

"Bane isn't even with his squad, you fool."

The technician looked up from his terminal at the screen, eyes wide when he saw Lt. Stone was correct. Bane's command signature was completely gone from the map... it had been on there hours ago though. "I...when...how?"

"How long have you just been sitting here watching them all walk completely pass this base camp?" Stone had his hand resting on the hilt of his weapon, fingers tapping against the steel of it's grip. The Technician said nothing. "How long, Damn it!?" the Lieutenant roared. "Answer me!!"

"I...sir... it had looked like they were heading here the entire time... in fact, from what I saw they had entered base camp hours ago... I thought that Bane had..."

"You're going to sit here and tell me that what's on that fucking display, right now, wasn't up there the entire time?" Stones voice was filled with skepticism. "So what, did this new orientation just magically appear?"

"Ye-Yes sir!" The Technician said adamantly. "At the very moment you walked in, infact!"

"Four God damn hours..." Stone sighed. "I gave them four god damn hours, tried hailing him time and time again... maybe I should've come in here sooner..." He turned around, walking away from where the Techy sat, his anger visible in his stride. "Fuck it all," he said, glancing back at the other man as he left. "Get me that Map on my HUD, Civi, and do it now. I'm going out after Chimera 1..." With that he lifted the tent flaps and took his leave.

Whit sat on a supply crate on the outskirts of the Base Camp just outside the Ruins that housed Eden, cleaning his rifle with high end gun oil and tweaking the scope, as he often had for the past week of being garrisoned here to help set up for the Mission. He stopped when he heard foot steps echoing towards him however. another Ranger approached, his assault rifle at the ready as he addressed the Sniper quickly.

"Venerman!" he called. "It's Commander Stone; He's assembling a search party as we speak.. and he needs a sniper to cover them through the Forrest. Follow, and follow quickly, the transport leaves in just a few minutes!" With that he headed off towards the inner areas of the camp where various tents were set up, housing scientist and their complicated machinery. In the middle of all those assembled white canvas tents stood a large Troop Transport, hover model, capable of easily traversing the terrain. There was even a snipers den installed on the roof of the vehicle, right along with several firing platforms ringing the sides and back. Several Rangers in Exo-Suits were already filing in and taking positions, reaching up and grabbing the support bars hanging from the ceiling with one hand and hoisting their weapons up into the rotating stands to prepare themselves for when they got moving... seems things were going to get interesting around here.

• Support Squad

Whit nodded to himself, acknowledging his orders. He took his sniper rifle and hoisted himself up onto the transport, setting himself up for when his skills would be needed. He then began his vigil, wary of anything and everything that could pose a threat to the group.

Kyahnna immediately fell to one knee, rifle readied and eyes scanning for whatever had caused the burst of static. Her voice, however, didn't match the professionalism of her actions. "What the hell was that? Did anyone see it?" She was clearly shaken; it just wasn't normal for equipment to go haywire like that, and the fact that they probably just lost another squadmate didn't exactly put her at ease.

Jack was put on edge by the sudden malfunction of his equipment, and had his Tranquilizer Rifle at the ready, trying to see what was causing the Malfunctions in their Systems, which included the Comm Link Crash.

Kenshin turns off his comm soon as the eerie feedback of the static went through his ears, well our HUD seems to malfunction... apparently we stumble upon something yet again. the engineer sighed, this is why i dislike nature. The Engineer keep his eyes peeled and lift his customize arc caster, finger on the trigger as he was prepared for this unseen threat.

Dang, three Tangoes in one day? Lady luck must be taking a nap right now.

Big immediatelly took his AR in hand, ready to shoot. Whatever it was that wanted them for a meal now was surely not small, judging by that roar... But the bright side was that he only heard one roar.

Standing low and focusing all his senses in the environment around him the huge man signaled to Kenshin, right next to him, pointing two fingers towards himself and then to the direction where the roar had come from. Whatever it was that attacked, it was sure that Arietta was in a hella big trouble now, and he wasn't about to let a comrade die on the first day. Rifle at ready, the Tank advanced to is target.

The engineer nodded as he quietly went to the right and stays in formation, Kenshin raise his hand and clench his fist signaling the frontliners: Big and Kyhanna to halt and stay in position, surely they do not want any sudden movement as they we're surrounded by this unknown predator. Kenshin pointed his gun at the dim forest ahead of him, securing his position.