Exodus: Beyond Eden Chapter 1: Into the unknown [IC]

Sutoratosu

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sarah, having flipped her comm off after the static attack, prepared her arc caster. Shadowing Big as silently as she could, Sarah quickly moved toward the left flank while scanning the area frantically. What have I gotten myself into? she thought with a slight tremor.

Vixen dug in somewhere farther from the group. She still had a visual on them so she knew where they were, but she doubted they knew where she was. She got her rifle ready. Then she took a small mirror out of her pack. Since she had been living out in the wilderness even back at home, she still had old school survival gear. Mirrors were typically used to signal for help in various ways, or to communicate over short distances to a partner without the need of speaking. Vixen angled it to get light and flash it into Garen's eyes to get his attention, that way he knew where she was in case they needed to flee or if they needed to protect her position.

"Hello? Hello!?" Arietta repeatedly tried to hail the others after the connection broke, only to be met with persistent static. Another roar broke through the distance as she saw on her scan that what was doing this had taken off again, swooping down towards them all, claws outstretched. From what features she could spot in the Infrared, this thing looked to be the cross of a giant bird...and some type of lizard. "Well that obviously isn't nature's handiwork..." She muttered to herself, shutting off the now useless comm system. And she was right... but then again, perhaps the same could be said for the majority of things running around in this Forrest?

25 meters...15 meters...10 meters... it was closing fast. She knew something would have to be done to turn it off it's course, or they'd all be dead in a minute. Without a word she loaded a Neo White Phosphorus head into her Rocket Launcher, aiming it seamlessly at the beast as it approached. Her finger pressed down on the trigger, sending the explosive flying through the night air, a trail of fire lingering in it's wake as the programming kicked in and it homed in on the largest target in it's vicinity, the bird dragon.

The night was dark... and then without any warning, it exploded into light rivaling that of the sun as an explosive fire flared in the sky above them all, a horrifying screech sounding as the predator veered off it's death sweep and circled away, it's face and eyes protected by the unseeablebone plate armoring covering it's skull. But the heat and pressure had been enough to cause considerable injury to make it reconsider it's tactics, along with the heavy, white smoke coursing it's way into the beast's lungs. It was completely blinded by the stuff, flying around aimlessly, trying to sense the electric signatures of it's quarry once more.

"Get out of here!" Arietta shouted as loudly as she could. "All of you, now! I'll hold this thing off as long as I can!"

"Stop. Everyone...just stop marching. It's obvious that something's been fucking around with the navigation in all of our Helmets for a while now. At first I thought that maybe either the Pilot of the ship or even Major Bane himself had made a mistake when he told us we were just a mile south, that maybe we'd been dropped far further... but this is ridiculous, even if he did so happen to get the information wrong. For the love of God, A days long walk to even get to base camp makes no sense considering the things running around this forest, a group is more likely to get picked off by the predatory wildlife than ever make it to the objective location. To make it even worse, it seems that the maps are all set up to reflect that '1 mile south' data point. Go on, check you HUDs... I can't be the only one whose map still says this right now..."

Garen had to agree with Arietta. He had had similar thoughts himself, but he had been stubbornly determined to follow the major's order. He had followed the readings on the display of his helmet, heading north the entire time. But unknowingly, the display had been wrong. They could be anywhere right now.

Garen cursed under his breath at the realization. He should have just used his own navigation skills, instead of relying on the technology of their helmets. That was why he had learned such things, after all. He turned on his comm to give orders, just as a loud roar pierced the air. The comm filled with static.

"What the...?" he mumbled as he banged on the side of his helmet. "This is yet another reason why I stay away from technology... You can never trust the stuff to work when you need it!"

A fragmented message came through the comm from Arietta.

"Sh...Nother...From...4!"

Garen turned to his four, a large birdlike shape visible in the sky. He cursed, retrieving his pistols once again from his belt. It appeared that luck was not on their side today. The night sky was illuminated with a blinding flash as Arietta shot at the birdlike creature. Smoke curled from the beast as it changed its path, moving past the group. Garen scowled under his helmet. That would certainly draw attention to the group, though he supposed it couldn't be helped based on their current circumstances. Right now they just needed to survive.

"Get out of here!" Arietta's voice rang through the night air. "All of you, now! I'll hold this thing off as long as I can!"

Garen snapped. After all that both he and Major Bane had said, the team was again trying to make sacrifices to move on.

"No!" he shouted, running to her side. "I don't care how many times I have to say this, but WE ARE NOT leaving ANYBODY behind! Even if I'm the only one, I will stay as long as a comrade is here. By the major's orders, I am to make sure every single one of us makes it to camp, and that is what I will do. I hope that the rest of you have learned enough by now to say the same."

Though Vixen couldn't hear Garen from the distance she was at, her gunshot would have sounded like an answer. One that said she was staying to fight. She fired a slug at the creature that had just taken the rocket before. Any damage at all would be useful. She didn't know what the others would do, but she was going to perform her job.

Big heard the whistle of a land-air rocket being launched... And the the night turned day, suddenly lighting the whole scene.

Luckily it seemed Arietta was still all right and kicking hard, and the thing that was attacking them was... "Holy shit, that's one hella large chiken!" He exclaimed, honestly surprised by the size and strangeness of this new monster.

The next thing he heard was Arietta's call "All of you, now! I'll hold this thing off as long as I can!"

"Nope missy, that's my job - and my catchphrase for that matter." the huge man answered with a smile on his face while switching his strategy. The thing was probably blind with that blast to his face, and he planned on keeping it as confused as possible. "Let's distract it. Don't let it know for sure where you guys are, but keep shooting. It can't hit us if it doesn't know where to strike!" he yelled to the others. Staying in formation close to one another against something this big would probably not work, but if they only could confuse it by spreading the group on the field...

With that in mind, the Tank dashed to his left, raised his the heavy Assault Rifle and started shooting towards the dragon thing.

Zero looked up at the giant bird flying overhead. Seeing as he has only Melee weapons he's completely useless. 'Man this would be so much easier if I could just cut it to pieces.' He thought to himself complaining about the circumstances. So he just stood there focused on the bird just in case it attacked he would be able to dodge the attack.

Edited by EXLink32

Kenshin aims at the bird as the others starts shooting it from the sky, "I'll try to restrain it or level it to the ground." he called out. The engineers's eyes were set as his arc caster locks on its target and set its coordinates at the birds torso. his arc caster release an eerie turbine sound as it was charging up. "Target lock" he said behind his gun.

Kenshin pulls the trigger and fires a continuous beam of purple lightning from his gun and into the night sky. it was pure,concentrated and 100% made of charge lightning (think of a gluon gun). but this firepower comes with a price as the engineer's battery drains faster as the beam continues to paralyze or vaporize the winged creature in midair, well which ever comes first.

Garen took aim at the underbelly of the bird-creature, that being the largest section of the creature. He didn't trust himself to make precision shots from this range with a pistol. He began muttering under his breath as he move his pistol along the bird's flight path, readying his shot.

"Sorry about this, fella. I don't fancy myself a hunter, but when you attack my comrades, I have no choice..."

When he had finished, he pulled the trigger three times.

Edited by Flux

The Bullets from Big, Vixen, and Garen all bounced off the armor plating on the thing's side as it banked a hard right, heading towards the source of these new noises, opening it's mouth and letting out a deafening war cry that left all of their ears ringing...

It's cry stopped when Kenshin's attack landed, right smack in the thing's chest...except it didn't seem to be doing any damage. Oh now, quite the contrary. A series of tiny, yellow bards extended from the thing's wings and spine as it basked in the lightning, taking it all in like a sponge before shooting off high into the atmosphere beyond sight, Kenshin's Arc Caster soon running out of charge.

Up high in the sky a tiny, blazing yellow light could be seen, nothing but a mere speck...

The Lightning beast flew high above the forest, it's body reinvigorated by the blast of electricity that had been foolishly used on it. Not only had it shrugged off the injuries from Arietta's White Phosphorous missile, but it's senses had been amplified as if it had been injected with some performance enhancing drug, able to not only pick up the Squad's electromag signatures again, but also the Electromagnetic signatures of an even larger group of prey several miles south from here... why go for the small bird when a large one is heading right towards you?

The tiny, pulsating light banked another hard turn as the group watched from far below, their weapons completely unable to reach such an extreme altitude. A faint but still notable screech sounded out as the thing they had been fighting veered off in some direction and picked up speed, leaving a trail of visible, charged ions behind it as it flew... and the moment it started moving away from them, the systems all went back up as if there had never been any issue at all. The squad could no see where they all were truly...

Ten miles north of base camp. That definitely explained all the marching. But there was something else on the map that also caught their attention... there were two Signatures moving towards them from the south west... Exo Suit Signatures.

((The thing is still within the vicinity of eye sight.))

Dobby

As soon as those who had been selected for the mission had loaded onto the transport and gotten into firing position, Lt.Stone knocked on the pilot window, giving the man sitting inside the go ahead to start driving. Within moments they lifted off from the ground, hovering at least a good meter, and shot off into the jungle at a surprising speed. Stone's voice came in through the Comms in Whit's ear.

"Soldier, make sure you keep eyes on the skies. Over."

((the beast is not within eye sight of you. It's still where Garren's group is.))

• Support Squad

Whit made sure his gear was set in place, and took up his rifle, decided that the jittering of the vehicle was too much to readily steady he rifle. He set his eyes towards the sky as ordered, ready to blast anything he had too out of the sky. Healso tried to make noe of where the vehicle was headed. The more he knew, the better.

Kenshin stops firing his ghost buster gun and realize something, its only feeding the beast. After the bird flee, seemingly hungry from some more. The engineer then looks at the power indicator on his arc caster. "73% remaining!? well that's a waste of charges" he disappointingly said. Surely the creatures in this place aren't your average zoo animals. they seem to have traits, very unique traits if i may add.

"Everyone, there's someone at our 7 o' clock, could Jace and Bane" the engineer said through the comms as soon as the navigation system went up .

Edited by typhlosionrulez

Big stopped and scratched the back of his head, confused, as the lightining bird ((Zapdos? XD)) started flying away from them. After all the pretty lights he was afraid the animal would come straight back to attack them, but whatever, that was probably for the bes...

"Everyone, there's someone at our 7 o' clock, could be Jace and Bane"

He looked up to the flying beast, and then again at the -now back to life- navigation instruments. "Yep, that's right Kenshin. Aand apparently our electric chicken there is heading towards them. Any chance we can manage to give 'em a warning?"

• 2 weeks later...

Immediately after Big asked his question, a burst of static came through the comm system... followed by a very pissed sounding voice. It was heavily accented, but the Soldiers could identify it as Major Bane's, mainly because they'd already been scalded by him earlier that day...

"Care to explain why the fuck this team is ten miles north of the mission objective, Garren?" he demanded. "Or perhaps you'd care to explain why, for the past three hours myself and Mister Quiet have been tracking your trail, every single one of the probably thirty hailing calls I sent were ignored completely by you?" Both him and Quiet were no where to be seen though, despite the Radar showing them right next to the squad.

"Just answer the questions and don't Bull shit anything," Quiet's voice suddenly rang through Garen's comm. "He's beyond pissed right now from a bit of a monkey encounter we had earlier... and he's not quite sane because of it."

Dobby

The skies were empty one moment... then there it was, like a burst of thunder and lightning. A strange Animal that looked like a dragon combined with a bird burst out of the canopy, sending charred twigs and branches raining down on the transport. A harrowing screech filled the air as it pulled up and gained altitude, flattening out and cruising in the night air, flying in speedy circles around the rescue mission.

"FIRE!" was the only bit of Commander Stone's voice that he heard before the comm links died, coming up in a bright red error message in Whit's helmet. and that wasn't all, the assisted Targeting system for his Sniper Rifle had also gone down... he'd no longer have the luxury of his Exo Suits computer doing the basic calculations and lining up the trajectory of the shot for him... which meant he'd have to go full manuel.

It shouldn't be impossible, though... not if he paid any attention in Snipers School, that is...

• Support Squad

Whits eyes locked onto his target. He steadied himself, holding his breath, lined up the shot trying to account for trajectory as best he could, and once he was as sure as he could, pulled the trigger, sending the bullet towards the bird at a lethal amount of speed.

One man. One bullet. One giant, monstrous looking bird...thing...Electric outlet? weapon maybe? Honestly, it was getting hard to believe at this point that some of this stuff was being actually cooked up by Mother Nature's son, Evolution. Regardless, the bullet Whit fired hurtled through the air, the beast wheeling around just at the most inopportune moment it could... A simple move of it's wings. that was all that ended the issue. That simple act of strafing... put it's eye directly into the path of the bullet, whereas it was set to make impact on the armoring of it's chest... one simple predatory behaviour function in it's brain. That was all it took to turn Whit's shot into the shot that killed the Thunder Chicken. The bullet entered through the eye, deserving the ball and nerve, cutting it's way right through into the brain. And it was over.

A final death keel was heard by everyone on the transport as the thing fell out of the sky and went silent, a loud crash issuing forth as it's corpse plummeted into the forest canopy like a lead weight, smashing trees and tearing up earth as it skidded to a halt right in the path of the Vehicle. The moment it was dead, the comms, along with everything else, came back online. The first thing Whit heard was Stone's voice, sounding...actually impressed.

"Excellent shot... soldier." and then just as soon as his voice rang through, it was gone. But little did Whit know that right at that moment, Stone was editing the mission roster... there was no way in hell he was going into Eden with Major Bane is this sniper wasn't in the company with them... The pilot of the Transport changed course and moved around the body as if nothing had happened, and they continued their mission, everything that had just transpired being sent back to Base Camp...

Big smiled heard Bane´s and Quiet´s voices in the intercomm. Great, they´re OK! He thought to himself, though up to this point he had acted as if this was a sure thing. It was his way of dealing with anxiety, and it was always a huge relief when it proved right.

Seeing as Garren took some time to answer, he decided to take action and defend his teammate, again sure that Bane would understand the situation. "Commander Bane sir. We have been attacked by some sort of... Electric bird or something like that, and it seems that whatever it was had the ability to mess with our electronic equipment sir." He paused a moment before adding an extra. "It´s good to see you two are all right, sir."

• Support Squad

Whit allowed himself a small smirk, satisfied with his work, secure that no one would notice him. He established himself once more, making sure he was ready should he need to be. He also didn't fail to note that it was partly the beasts fault for moving at the exact worst time. He needed to be better, he couldn't rely on a fluke like that...

"Come again, soldier?" Bane's voice rang out over the comms. he didn't sound quite so angry this time though... "Did you say 'Thunder Bird'?" meanwhile there was still no sign of where he or Quiet could be... it was like they were ghosts or something, stalking them all from just beyond sight...

"Yes sir, it was something along these lines. I've never seen one of those before, and to think it could mess with our navigation sistem..." Big was starting to wonder why the commander wouldn't show up, but it would probably be anytime now. Nonetheless, his stealth skills seemed to be impressive. "Anyway, it flew away towards that other group we can see in the map."

There was pure radio silence for a minute. Then suddenly a stranger's voice rang out over the Comms in everyone's helms, and it was not very happy sounding.

"Chimera 1," it said, crackling with static for a moment before clearing up. "Chimera 1, this is Commander Stone of the Esperanza Special Forces, respond. I repeat, this is Commander Stone of the Esperanza Special Forces, RESPOND." They were being hailed apparently... probably a good Idea to answer.