Bug Monotype run of Reborn (Latest Defeated Leader: Amaria)

Jess

2 hours ago, ProjectIceman said:

Wide Guard...I wasn't even aware that Paras could get that move...and Powder on Vivillon...who said that bug types were only good early game lol

Haha, yes, Vivillon has been an absolute star in my run, really versatile too! I could breed Wide Guard on Dwebble too, but I have a "no duplicates" clause... So I couldn't have both Crustle and Dwebble/Crustle again in same squad. Overall, I have to say I've fallen in love with the strategic battling style you have to implement in order to find success with bugs. They have so many weaknesses and such low stats, that you have to counter that somehow... And the only way is to take advantage of every single tiny detail and create strategies! 

Edit: @ProjectIceman Paras gets Wide Guard through breeding... Goes like Tirtouga-->Mudkip-->Turtwig-->Paras. Of course, I had to get myself Mudkip and Turtwig by trade, but I never used them for battling, so I'm cool with my mono's rules.

1 hour ago, Karamo said:

That...was amazing! I really was caught offguard by the very sweet background story section, and the Wide Guard strategy was actually unexpected! I loved it! I hadn't realized how weak Charloette was to blocking moves that hit both pokemon with the first two.... I may have to borrow your strategy with a few edits for mine :D Good luck on the future battles!

Haha, thank you! :) 

Feel free to share your strategy when it comes to beating Charlotte with your bugs as well! I'd love to hear that! ;) 

Btw... The backstory is fanfiction, but I indeed used a level 1 Paras, which got up to level 35 during the fight...

Edited by Jess

16 hours ago, Jess said:

I'm not extremely afraid of psychic mons with a Bug squad! xD

Oh, btw, you know what they say about @Zellorea's psychic mons though... That they are weak to Bugs, Ghost and Dark cause their powers are based on their brain activity. So, they are like the human mind. Scared of ghosts, insects and the dark!

But with the power of Psychic abilities... I control a giant fly swatter! Whaddya gonna do to deal with a giant fly swatter?

1 hour ago, Zellorea said:

But with the power of Psychic abilities... I control a giant fly swatter! Whaddya gonna do to deal with a giant fly swatter?

Have them gather around Crustle and then watch as the net breaks as it tries to squash them. o.o

Just now, Awesome_One said:

I would assume Volcarona would be able to melt the head of the hammer since it's made from some kind of metal right?

FINE! I'll smash them with Vanhanen castle. 

Hmm... Parasect can spray the Psychic types with the shrooms that basically control them. Idk if that would stop anything but that's a possibility.

No... Not really. 

Lol. Fine. You got me with that one.

Yes! Who knew the only way I could beat a team of bugs, is by crushing them with a castle XD. I should've tried it against Shelly 

CHAPTER 26: Winter Olympics, Reborn Style!

Okay... so, after a week of posting nothing, cause doing a PhD can really consume all your time, we can hop right back into it! So, without further ado... Shall we?

After defeating Charlotte, we can use Dive outside of battle, so I bring back Respect, my Squirtle and trusted HM slave TMX assistant to help me on the way to Ametrine City! Cain has already informed us and Shelly that when he managed to trace down Heather, she was with Blake, a weird guy who would take care of her... But now Ametrine City, where Blake's residence is, is blocked by ice... and nobody can supply it with food! Of course Heather has a Salamence, so she theoretically can escape and be safe... But better be sure! We also have to get to Ametrine anyways, since annoying Terra told us that the sleep-inducing signal that is affecting Agate City is emitted by somewhere near Ametrine City... So, little choice we have... 

We find our way in Ametrine Mountain, Surf and Dive around and below the huge block of ice and find that a PULSE Avalugg is at the centre of it... So, we have to put it out of its misery, by fighting it...

VS PULSE AVALUGG

My team:

dustox.gif

Patience, the Dustox (Male)

Calm/Compound Eyes (Item: Black Sludge)

Venoshock

Silver Wind

Toxic

Moonlight

Well, actually, just this. Patience hadn't seen glory since mid game, so I took down PULSE Avalugg by using him. A Toxic poisoned badly the Avalugg, while a Rock Slide did just below half HP to my Dustox, since the Icy Field changes Rock attack typing to Ice, which is neutral. Then, a Silver Wind hardly scratched Avalugg, but gave me a +1 in all stats. Finally, it was a Moonlight stall, which restored 50% of Patience's HP each time it was used, enabling him to easily survive after Freeze-Dry's and Rock Slides, combined with the +1 in Defence and Sp. Defence. Avalugg was easily taken down by Poison, leaving with a huge roar, and clearing the path for us and Shelly to access Ametrine City and find Heather, after questioning the effectiveness of the location at which Team Meteor placed their PULSE Avalugg... Probably it was Taka's decision, which would make perfect sense! <3 Taka

When we reach Ametrine City, which is coated in her snowy cloak, we wander around asking and gathering information... Turns out that Heather is a secret benefactor of the people of the City, since she secretely provides them with resources, while Blake is being an asshole and tries to starve the City out. We found the old house of Lumina and Evelynn Seijaya, aka the E and L in ZEL... And we learn about their backstory from a diary that is abandoned on the table... Turns out, that Zero was a lone Team Meteor administrator, who took interest in Eve's prototype PULSE Magneton machine that she was building to save Lumi from the illness that costed the life to both their parents... The goal was to amplify the healing effects of her pokemon in order to heal Lumi... Which now explains why Lumi has a Glaceon (snowy Ametrine City), Eve has an Espeon (the brainiac of the trio) and Zero has an Umbreon (shady Meteor admin). During one of the experiments, Eve's Magneton evolved into Magnezone while it was connected to the PULSE, and, similarly to how the 3 Magnemites of a Magneton fuse during evolution, Zero, Eve and Lumi were affected by this energy and got their consciousnesses fused into Zero's body... Collectively known as ZEL... Curse and blessing... Lumi survived, mentally, and won't be alone, ever...

Blake finds us and threatens us to leave, but we gather intel and find him at his place... After demanding that he releases Heather, whom he keeps locked in a cabin up on the Mountain, he suggests a trade for the Ruby Ring, after Shelly accidentally reveals that we have... After our refusal to let go of the Ring and accept his offer, he takes things into his hands, steals it and runs to meet the Meteor helicopter which is on the way to pick him up... But, when we exit his place, we meet Cal, who  has a faded mix of red and blue colour on his hair... Turns out Cal is Blake's young brother... Passion, my Volcarona, breaks free of his Pokeball and sits on Cal's head, smiling. Seems like Fire types do take a liking on his... It also looks like he has indeed changed, so we can trust him now! His mistake was unforgivable back at Pyrous Mountain, but everyone deserves a second chance... Cal apologises to Shelly for his behaviour that hurt her ages ago and they reconcile, but we don't learn more about this... We have no time, gotta chase down Blake and get ring back! Cal reveals us something about a hidden passage that leads to a cabin they used to use for their Meteor meetings... Maybe Heather is locked in there! All we gotta do is search Blake's place! After some searching, we manage to get his PC to work and we find clues about the correct password, which opens a door and leads up higher, into the Mountain!

We follow the path and find the cabin where Heather is locked in. The combined power of Salamence and "Heather", Shelly's Yanmega, break the door and release Heather, who apologises to us for being a brat and thanks us for our help... At last, she is a proper person! Grew up a bit through all this... We then go back down and start our trek up towards the Ametrine Peak...

We find Cal, who confronts Blake, telling him off, but Blake gets Meteor grunts to stall us and keeps climbing the Mountain... This stupid goose chase keeps going with quite a few double battles. Plus, my Flying Bugs aren't particularly excited about the snow... Fiery Wings' (my Vivillon) firey aura has nearly turned into fiery ice crystals and every time he is sent out, he just brrrrrrr's and goes back in on his own. Braveheart (my Butterfree) keeps sneezing his Silver Wind at me while Ecstasy's (my Yanmega) Bug Buzz is probably 10 times stronger with the intensity at which her wings are rattling by the cold... See, if I had a Ribombee, she could make more scarves for everyone, but nope! Come fast Episode 17. At least Passion's Flame Body keeps the Pokeballs warm, cause I doubt I'd win with solely my Volcarona... Anyways, eventually Cal and Heather fly to the peak with their Charizard and Salamence respectively, as I meet up with Shelly to fight, even more Team Meteor grunts who try to stall us and gain time for Blake as he tries to escape. And then, when I try to follow the impatient Shelly, who has gained (A LOT) of confidence after making up with Cal, we get stopped by Aster... He seems to have changed his mind about being in Team Meteor after Eclipse's horrible soul eating experience by Sirius' Chandelure and challenges us to a battle for TMX Waterfall, in order to help us! Well, certainly Aster, bring it on buddy! :) 

VS ASTER

My team:

ariados.gif

Happiness, the Ariados (Female)

Hardy/Sniper (Item: Scope Lens)

Sucker Punch

Pin Missile

Sticky Web

Cross Poison

leavanny.gif

Affection, the Leavanny (Female)

Quirky/Chlorophyll (Item: Scope Lens)

X-Scissor

Leaf Blade

Fell Stinger

Swords Dance

masquerain.gif

Kindness, the Masquerain (Male)

Naive/Intimidate (Item: Sea Incense)

Air Slash

Bug Buzz

Quiver Dance

Hydro Pump

ninjask.gif

Sakura, the Ninjask (Female)

Hardy/Infiltrator (Item: Earth Plate)

Dig

Metal Claw

X-Scissor

Swords Dance

heracross.gif

Sir Galahad, the Heracross (Male)

Jolly/Moxie (Item: Hard Stone)

Aerial Ace

Close Combat

Megahorn

Rock Blast

galvantula.gif

Gaia, the Galvantula (Female)

Modest/Unnerve (Item: Zap Plate)

Thunder Wave

Discharge

Bug Buzz

Hidden Power Ground

So, I lead with Happiness who lays a Sticky Web (mostly to slow down this damn Electivire a bit...) after Aster's Solrock sets up Stealth Rocks. Then, Solrock outspeeds and sets up Reflect, but Happiness uses Pin Missile which hits 4 times, two of which are critical hits, taking Solrock out relatively easily.

Then, Golurk is sent in and I reply with Affection, my Leavanny. Leavanny outspeeds and OHKO'es Golurk with (another) critical Leaf Blade.

Aster sends in Rhyperior and I send in Kindness, my Masquerain, who OHKO'es Rhyperior with a Hydro Pump.

Then, for Aster's Milotic, I send in Affection again. A Leaf Blade deals just below half HP of milotic, since Reflect still applies, and then my Leavanny is taken out by an Icy Field-boosted Ice Beam... :( It is the turn of Gaia, my Galvantula. A Discharge easily finishes off Milotic, and then Aster sends in his Magmortar.

I decide to keep in my Galvantula. A Hidden Power Ground deals just more than Half of Magmortar's HP and Gaia barely survives a -weakened by the Icy Field- Heat Wave. Heat Wave however melts the ice and switches the field into Water Surface, rendering my Ground type attacks useless. There goes my plan from now on. Anyways, in the next turn, a Discharge finishes out Magmortar, leaving only Electivire. Thankfully, the Water Surface Field, even though it makes Ground Type attacks useless, it boosts Electric Type attacks vs grounded mons, enabling my Galvantula to finish Magmortar with a boosted Discharge.

So, now, vs Electivire... The raidboss! I keep Gaia in, and it outspeeds... A Bug Buzz (can't use Discharge cause Electivire has Motor Drive) dealt about 50% of Electivire's HP, but Electivire finishes off my Gaia with Fire Punch... :(

I send in Sakura, my Ninjask. She outspeeds (of course) and uses X-Scissor. taking out Electivire...

My strategy was ruined by the damn Heat Wave, but at least, I had a good lead to be able to brute force Magmortar and Electivire from that moment on! :) 

Aster gives me the TMX for Waterfall and says that I have to save Reborn for Eclipse as well... I get emotional, but gotta keep going... For my friends' sake...

But that's gonna be it for the time being, cause this chapter has gotten too lengthy already!

Till the next chapter, enjoy everyone! ;):) 

Edited by Jess

On 01/06/2017 at 9:08 PM, Jess said:

Yes, it was extremely annoying the first time I experienced it (in my normal playthrough), so I decided to give Heracross a Chilan Berry in case worse came to worst. Which it did. I could've given Focus Sash to Vivillon as well and survive the Bullet Punch, but I'm not wasting a Focus Sash on bloody Samson. It's just... Samson.

i thought focus sash stays after battle, i guess not

On 05/06/2017 at 1:21 AM, Jess said:

I agree! It is nice to let your fantasy gallop a bit, if you just narrate the Reborn Story the way everyone knows it, it might get too boring... So, thanks again for showing me a new perspective over this! And, maybe expect a few more backstories to come!

FEEDBACK QUESTION TO ALL READERS: Would you like me to give an evaluation/maybe grade bug types in the end of my run and make suggestions (movesets, EV spreads, possible ways of use, etc) to anyone who would like to try a Bug mono possibly? All answers will be read and taken under consideration! :) 

Yesi'd love to get some ideas, last time i trid a bug mono i kept sweeping ith volcarona untill i made the mistake of going Ubers and i was WALLED by that damned Landorus and he didnt miss a single stone edge, dang XD

also good luck with your PhD

and i saw the title was still on charlotte so ithought you didnt make any updates sorry

12 hours ago, Another Retired Shipper said:

i thought focus sash stays after battle, i guess not

Yesi'd love to get some ideas, last time i trid a bug mono i kept sweeping ith volcarona untill i made the mistake of going Ubers and i was WALLED by that damned Landorus and he didnt miss a single stone edge, dang XD

also good luck with your PhD

and i saw the title was still on charlotte so ithought you didnt make any updates sorry

Nah, Focus Sash gets consumed if it saves you from a OHKO...

Thanks for your wishes!

Also don't worry, I hadn't updated in a week ;) 

12 hours ago, Zarc said:

BZZZZZ BZZZZZ

As a good gentleman , i wish you good luck for the next ! 

Thanks good gentleman :P:) 

This is so overwhelmingly well-made and inspiring that I'm considering deleting my Greninja save file and doing a Grass monorun with Snivy but arghhhhhh... all that hard work and grinding for nothing

Anyways, props for your battle against Charlotte. I defeated her yesterday marginally and I'm astounded that you could pull it off with bug types. I'm guessing you're really good at competitive battling

7 minutes ago, RedAlert said:

This is so overwhelmingly well-made and inspiring that I'm considering deleting my Greninja save file and doing a Grass monorun with Snivy but arghhhhhh... all that hard work and grinding for nothing

Why delete it?  Just move it to another folder for safekeeping and start a new save.

Just now, seki108 said:

Why delete it?  Just move it to another folder for safekeeping and start a new save.

Ohh that sounds just about amazing, I'll do that :))

Spoiler

PS: Sorry for being irrelevant about this topic but I just need to backup the game.rxdata file, right?

Edited by RedAlert

42 minutes ago, RedAlert said:

Hide contents

PS: Sorry for being irrelevant about this topic but I just need to backup the game.rxdata file, right?

What you need to do is look for game.rxdata. Then, you want to move this file to a separate folder. Move it someplace you won't forget about it.

Then, just start Reborn and you will automatically start a new run. If you want to continue on your current run, just move the game.rxdata to a new folder and put your original save file in the 'saved games' folder, so you can continue your journey

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HongaarseBeer said:

What you need to do is look for game.rxdata. Then, you want to move this file to a separate folder. Move it someplace you won't forget about it.

Then, just start Reborn and you will automatically start a new run. If you want to continue on your current run, just move the game.rxdata to a new folder and put your original save file in the 'saved games' folder, so you can continue your journey

Awesome, thank you!! I'll do this once I catch up to the game :D

1 hour ago, HongaarseBeer said:

6 minutes ago, RedAlert said:

Awesome, thank you!! I'll do this once I catch up to the game :D

What I do is just rename the Game.rxdata I want to put on pause to something else, to remember what it is (e.g. BugMono.rxdata) and then start a new game. I also keep a Dropbox backup, which came in handy when my old laptop decided to catch a virus, which annihilated my files.

Consider doing something similar ;)  @RedAlert

Finally, thank you for your kind words, I'm glad you enjoy it! I will probably update it later/tonight with some quite interesting battles! (vs characters I detest, but oh well xD)

Edited by Jess

41 minutes ago, Jess said:

What I do is just rename the Game.rxdata I want to put on pause to something else, to remember what it is (e.g. BugMono.rxdata) and then start a new game. I also keep a Dropbox backup, which came in handy when my old laptop decided to catch a virus, which annihilated my files.

Consider doing something similar ;)  @RedAlert

Ah, clever. I will do the same, thanks for the heads up.

42 minutes ago, Jess said:

Finally, thank you for your kind words, I'm glad you enjoy it! I will probably update it later/tonight with some quite interesting battles! (vs characters I detest, but oh well xD)

Can't wait, I think I'm just ahead of you, albeit playing it for the first time. But I'm sure you'll have relatively less trouble considering how you handled Charlotte :D