Surge Story: Chapter 2- "GAOWS" [Completed IC Thread]

Sutoratosu

Sid grins as his fellow cadets discuss about their strategy "ok all of us wants a piece of this bird, well as the saying goes the bigger they are the harder they fall, this icy SOB underestimated us, didn't finish the job keeping us alive and claiming our territory." Sid cracks his knuckles. "we have firepower to assist our GAO in disabling and grounding this thing..so i guess its time for a little bird hunting?"

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“All done,” Logan said with blood on his hands. “I’ve stopped the bleeding; you’re good to go, Nathan.”

He then turned to the rest of the cadets who were talking about how they wanted to kill the giant bird. The way they talked seemed like it would be a walk in the park. Was he the only one who felt nervous and even a little scared? Or was it their way to relief some steam before their first serious mission? “You guys make it sound so easy. Don’t forget this is our first mission, so don’t underestimate what that thing can do. And if you need a remainder, just look around you. That thing massacred a lot of the more experienced soldiers.”

Logan used his uniform to clean his hand before laying it on Kenny’s shoulder. “Especially you; while I do think you’re on the right track don’t rush to your death. I don’t want to be the one to pull your body from under the snow.”

With that said he hoped his fellow cadets would be a bit more careful. He took his rifle and walked off behind General McCarthy.

Lars ran up to the group, rubbing a hand on the back of his head with an embarrassed grin.

"Um, sorry I'm late. They had me helping hold the side gate against these weird snow things. We fought most of them off, but then there were some loud sounds coming from this way. Sleepy got spooked and teleported me into the forest... I just got back and headed over here. What's going on?"

Edited by Flux

"I'm ready to go. Can't say I've taken a wound like this before, but you can be in worse situations. This Charmeleon here wants to tear into something; that bigass bird looks like a good option. When ice meets fire, one of them annihilates the other, and I don't see people throwing ice cubes on campfires." He thought for a moment. "Icarus is terrified though. Seems like he hates the cold."

"while I do think you’re on the right track don’t rush to your death. I don’t want to be the one to pull your body from under the snow.”

Kenny smiled at the statement, then responded with a bit of humor.

"I hear you loud and clear, buddy. As a matter of fact, I don't want to be the one being pulled out of the Snow! Ryu, Eve, Let's go."

and with that, he stood up, and then marched behind General McCarthy, Ryu and Eve following closely behind him.

Edited by K_H

"Nothing, Lars, we're just going to kill a giant ice bird that killed tens of our comrades. So, are you in, Lars?"

Lars blinked at the news, unsure if he had heard Lionel correctly. After a while, he spoke.

"Oh." He paused for a while more as the news settled in. "OH. That is not good." He still looked like he hadn't completely accepted the fact that people had died and their lives were all in danger. He shrugged the rifle he was carrying further up on his shoulder, looking at the spheres that contained Sleepy and Dominance. "Yeah, I guess I'm in." He looked back at the rifle. "Can't say that I'm a very good shot with this thing, nor can I guarantee Sleepy or Dominance will be much help. They're both kinda small..." He paused, still looking surprised and confused at the situation he found himself in. "So, uh, we're gonna go kill a giant bird thing, then?"

Clint nodded at Lars, "That's right. That bastard doesn't stand a chance." He turned to the rest of the group. "Look you guys plan all you want, but all I need is my strength and the strength of my partners." A fire now burnt in his eyes, something that was quite unlike Clint's usual laid back behavior. "I know that thing is bigger than Pimparella here, but it's just a lame chicken with some snow flowing off of it, it's got nothing on Pimparella, she's a beast and all that chicken does is hide behind some snow." Clint looked back to the healing center. "That's it I'm not just going to stand around here anymore while that blue jay starts building up it's snow or whatever, I'm going to get healed up, then I'm going to kill it. Meet me over there when you're all done fooling around, or just stay here and watch me kill it, it's your choice." With that Clint started heading over to the healing center.

Erick looked to Nathan at his shoulder

"Alright then..." He said

"Let's get going... I may not have been able to kill one monster that deserved it..." He continued talking as he and Nathan began to move along behind the General and the others

"But I'm sure as hell gonna take out this one..."

===============================

As the Converstation on strategy wraps up, the group follows behind McCarthy, walking by the scene of the battle to hold the side entry ways, the group gets a glimpse at how bad things really could've been at the front gates, as soldiers comb through the deep snow, uncovering stiff bodies of their former comrades beneath, pulling desperately at them to try and dislodge the frozen corpses... only at times for the limb the were pulling on to shatter at the joint and come away in their hands...

It was a grizzly image as the group walked by a pile that had formed, made entirely of those who had fallen to the frozen hell the battles for the side entry ways had been...

Out of respect for those slain, the group silenced their talking and humbled their arrogant anticipation of killing the thing that was ultimately responsible for the attack on Fort Bexly... simply focusing themselves on completing their mission and avenging their comrades without becoming more casualties...

McCarthy disappeared into the front doors of Command Central and into the front lobby of the building. The General took a turn around a corner, heading through another pair of double doors along a lengthy hall way as Fox1 squadron followed behind him closely. eventually, the group came to a large, semi circular room, the lights were on, several beds lined the walls, the Medical wing was a bustle of activity as Soldiers following McCarthy's previous orders to treat the wounded rushed about, gathering necessary supplies for medics who had begun making rounds about the bedsides... many Soldiers had no visible thing wrong with them... except that they had their eyes closed... what no one knew yet, however, was that most of these cases were in a comatose state from exposure to the cold...

McCarthy stopped in front of another pair of double doors at the back of the Medical wing, palming them open and striding in... in these rooms was another Med. Ward, this one equip with various tables and cabinents with locks on them... in the center of the room was a large raised dias... on it sat two identical machines...

this was the med. wing used for GAO injuries...

Surge had been keeping up the back of the group, and was the last to enter into the GAO ward, as he headed through the door way, however, he was certain that in the previous ward he'd seen Enyo Greyjoy, a soldier from his squadron, lying on one of the beds, her eye's closed... but he said nothing as he walked by, knowing it was best not to preoccupy the team's minds with a dire mission like this one under way...

Ray walked to a nearby cabinent, taking out a ring of keys and inspecting the jars their as the General began to speak.

"Anyone who needs to Heal their GAOs, do it now... you have seven minutes..."

He looked to Nathan Grey, who was still supported on one shoulder by Erick.

"The Doctor will attend to you as soon as he collects what he needs, Grey."

With that, he shroud back through to the human Med wing, turning to look back at the Squadron as the doors slid closed...

"You have Seven minutes... I will retrieve you at that time and we will proceed to our objective on the roof... prepare for battle while your in here."

He held out his hand on the wall... a blue outline of the General's hand appeared there, and a whirrrring sound could be heard as a panel of walling slid back in the GAO med wing, revealing a small, long room filled with various weaponry.

"That what you see on the wall back there..." the general began

"Is a hidden entry way into the sub armory of Fort Bexly. if you do not have a weapon, get one now... and no grenades... we can't risk any unnecessary damage."

With that, the General took a step back into the Human med wing, and the doors slid shut, leaving the squadron to heal their partners and prepare...

Edited by Stratos

"Erick, you can let me go. I managed to hobble out of that damn blizzard with my balls freezing off and that bird freezing people to death, I can handle walking around the med ward." With that, he dislodged himself from the other man's support, and limped toward the machine. "Icarus is alright, he just almost died of fright. I don't know how Charmeleon handled it, though. He lost a lot of body heat keeping me alive." He placed the ball containing the lizard inside the machine. "I'll let that run through." Nathan then proceeded to release his Bagon from the capsule. "Come on, bud, let's get ourselves some guns. Well, you can't really operate one, but you'll be with me in spirit, right?" The GAO nodded. He had regained a bit of his lost bravado now that he was in a temperature-controlled environment. The pair walked toward the armory door.

After the general left, Sid spoke up to the group "I'm gonna get my ammunition and heal up my GAOs as well.. meet you back here by seven, don't start the party without me." Sid walks away as he gets his pokes healed up into the machine as he sighed. man, what do i've gotten into, well i'm not going down without a fight.

He then saw Clint healing his GAO and approach him "Yo tough guy, the general just open some secret armory down the fort, I suggest you grab one of those equipment. I wouldn't be relying on our GAO's too much, seeing that thing just blew the bajesus out of the entire army. " As Sid casually whistles waiting his GAO to get fix.

Logan decided to heal his GAOs just to be sure. He knew that hadn’t taken too much damage in the previous battle, but he wanted to eliminate every possible risk for them being unable to battle. He felt much safer with Crush’s defense and Ace’s fire attacks would surely be a great help against the monstrous bird.

After he had released his GAOs again, he checked his rifle and filled up on bullets. He then proceeded to replace his first aid supply; a new habit he had developed during the past months. In the early stages of his training, Logan found out he was quite good at being a medic. He probably had the highest score in that field in his squad. He was even trained specifically to act as a medic while they would be in the field; a job he took very serious. Ever since some of his relatives died in a car crash, before the virus broke out, he had vowed he wouldn’t let anyone die if he could help it. That was the main reason he had accepted his role. While being well aware that one day his friends’ lives might be in his hands, he didn’t want to run away from his responsibilities anymore. And that’s why he couldn’t just sit around doing nothing.

Logan walked over towards Surge. “Sir, do I have permission to aid the wounded soldiers? I can’t sit around and do nothing while they need help. Not even for seven minutes,” he said with conviction in his eyes.

Erick walked over to the Armory after Nathan made it clear that he didn't need help walking, Beldum floating behind him. he walked over to the rack along the wall, inspecting the rifles there. he looked around at the other weaponry in the chamber. then decided what he would carry into battle. He walked over to another rack and took an X-19 assault rifle from it, slinging the strap over his shoulder as he moved on to the other wall and picked two Beretta M11s from the long rack beneath the Rifles on the wall. he checked the weapons, seeing that none of them had clips, and began searching for where the ammo was kept, his foot kicking a box as he walked, which made a strange metallic clinking sound. he knelt down and flipped the lid, finding the thing full of loaded M11 clips. he reached in and grabbed six; two clips for the M11s he had chosen, 2 reloads for those, and 2 more encase someone needed the Ammo in battle. he followed the same policy in finding the Assault Rifle clips, making sure to take five. he loaded the extra ammo into a pouch on his belt, then spotted a strangely labeled crate in the back of the armory. he walked over, seeing that the sole sign on it was a northen star. he flipped the lid and knew what was inside as soon as he could see...

They were Flash-Bangs... the single most valuable weapon in a fire fight besides actual guns... these little babys could create a large enough distraction for the enemy that they could easily be picked off before they could recover and begin firing again.

Erick reached into the crate and took out three, shoving them into the pouch at his belt along with the spare ammunition.

He looked around the armory one more time, and seeing nothing else he felt would be appropriate to bring into the operation, he turned and headed back through the hidden doorway connecting the sub Armory and the GAO ward, stopping at one of tables in the ward and taking Virtue's capsule from his belt. Staring down at the thing and thinking...

Well, looks like our little spat is over one way or another...

He was answered by a familiar voice in his mind, though he didn't intend for the thought to be a message...

Like hell it is... Genisa answered simply. Erick ignored that little comment and pressed the button in the center of the capsule, the Kirlia appearing on the table top in a burst of white light. Genisa refused to make eye contact with Erick, turning away to face the wall...

Erick really didn't have the time to deal with childish shit like this... he and his squad was gonna go marching into battle in a few minutes, and he would need both his GAOs co-operation in order to do his part in battle. he looked at the Kirlia, his eyes hardening with frustration.

"Look at me." He said. Genisa refused, not acknowledging him at all.

Erick sighed... looks like he'd have to take another approach to this other than simply letting his anger and frustration do the talking...

"Look," he said, trying to start the conversation over.

"I know you're upset about what happened earlier, and I'm sorry that I broke the promise and called you into your capsule so suddenly like that..."

She still didn't acknowledge him. he continued on never the less.

"But right now, you have to just let that go; we need to work together... this isn't an evaluation anymore, this is rea-"

He was cut off by a thought message

"Save your breath... I know what's been happening."

"Alright then." Erick said, a bit irritated

"Then are you ready to stop this childish crap and forgive me? We're not playing at Soldiers anymore, as you apparently already know."

Genisa turned to face him... then slowly nodded her head silently

"Good." Said Erick, walking off to wait infront of the doors for McCarthy to return and get them. Genisa leapt off the table and followed behind him, along with Beldum.

============================

Surge looked to Logan

"I applaud your dedication to your comrades, Walker, but I'm afraid it's permission denied... we've got a mission to get on with any minute now, and we can't lose any time looking for anyone on the team."

With that, Surge walked off towards the armory; the only actually weapon he had currently was his side arm...

Jory nodded and followed Surge toward the armory, as his rifle had been torn from his hands by the incredible power of the large bird's wind attack.

Clint turned back from looking at the counter to hear someone talking to him.

"Yo tough guy, the general just open some secret armory down the fort, I suggest you grab one of those equipment. I wouldn't be relying on our GAO's too much, seeing that thing just blew the bajesus out of the entire army. "

Clint sighed, it was Sid. Clint wasn't a huge fan of Sid, he'd certainly grown on him since the first day of camp, but Clint was still reluctant to trust him. He just had the smell of a street rat. But, still Clint knew he had a point here, he'd seen a lot of the bodies on his way over, perhaps he'd been overzealous in his trust of Pimparella. Clint let out another sigh and turned to Sid. "Alright, Sid I'll go check it out. Besides it's not like I've been waiting to shoot something since I got here." There was little truth in that previous statement, Clint knew how to use a gun, but he preferred not too and in fact was a little turned off by the idea of using them.

Clint pushed off the counter and turned around, starting to head in the direction of the armory. "Oh yeah...' he turned back to Sid, "Just stay alive alright kid..." Clint then turned back to head over to the armory. Reaching in to his pocket for a cigarette. He knew this may be his last walk down this hall way and he was pressed for time so he'd just have to make due with enjoying his potential last cigarette while walking. However, as he looked back up from retrieving the cigarette he noticed Jory and Surge walking in the same direction. Normally, he'd try and catch up to them and make some small talk. But, today was a little different, today Clint wasn't in the joking mood. So he decided to hang back, quietly walking behind them.

*Meanwhile, in the subterranean levels of the Base*

Lt.Caraway ran down the corridor, heading for the elevator at the other end... he'd heard over the comm system about what was happening outside, and knew that by now, there was really nothing he could do to aid in the battle on the surface, seeing as it was now over...

He glimpsed into an open doorway as he ran by, then slowed to a jog and then stopped.... in his mind, he went back over what he thought he'd saw in there...

He walked back over to the door way, and his thoughts were confirmed when he saw two men in laboratory coats struggling with a heavy crate... on the floor nearby were several lab technicians, all of them snoring, out cold. the room was an absolute mess...

Thinking this to be some type of infiltration, Caraway pulled his side arm from the holster on his hip, getting it up to a ready position, aiming for the small of one of the men's back. He called out as he moved through the doorway cautiously.

"Halt, or I will shoot!"

One of the men turned to look at him over his shoulder, and Caraway recognized the face

"Oak?" he asked, a bit unsure if his initial theory of what was going on here was correct after all... he crept a little closer, still keeping his gun at the ready however...

Oak let go of the end of the crate he was carrying, causing the side he was hoisting to fall to the floor with a loud crash. it startled the other man, who looked to see what had caused his partner to drop his end, and Caraway was able to recognize his face as well. Oak was putting up his hands

"And Rowan?" Caraway asked, lowered his gun finally...

whatever's going on here, it's unlikely to be a crime against the US if these two are involved... He thought to himself... that's when he remembered the incident in the atrium several months ago... he raised his gun back to where it had been, this time aimed at Oak's chest

On second thought... anyone is capable of committing high treason... no matter who they are.

He called out more orders to the two of them

"Drop the other end of the crate and put your hands up, Rowan!"

Rowan did as the MPO ordered. Caraway began questioning the two of them now.

"What the hell is going on in here?" he asked bluntly.

Oak responded

"The situation is deteriorating... there's an unkown GAO species that was leading the assault on the surface. it's in the Atrium now... on top of this very building..."

Caraway saw Oak's knowledge of this as a red flag, he popped the safety off his weapon.

"How do you know this?" he asked suspiciosly "The things current location was supposed to be a need to know basis."

Oak began walking towards Caraway, hands still up. "Stay back!" Caraway demanded

Oak backed up a few steps and began explaining

"We passed by the Security hall... we saw the footage of the thing landing in the atrium as it happened."

Caraway didn't drop his guard, he continued the interrogation

"What happened in here?" he asked as his next question

Rowan spoke this time

"We knew that thing was going to be difficult to take out. we decided we'd bring a device to better the odds of victory; it's a weapon in the final stages of development..."

Satisfied for now by their story, Caraway holstered his pistol and walked over, the Oak and Rowan dropped their arms to their sides.

"Show me." he said. the two walked around to opposite sides of the crate. Oak sent out his GAO, Clemont, and in a few seconds, the top of the crate was on the ground, along with a few broken screw heads. Caraway leaned over the ledge of the large box and looked inside...

"What is this?" he demanded

Oak answered him simply

"Hand held rail gun... it's a three man system, one soldier holds the device housing the power supply, which is connected to the weapon through a large power cable..."

Rowan continued where Oak left off

"Another Soldier operates the weapon itself, lining up the aim and firing...and the third soldier reloads it."

Clemont's eyes glowed a strong teal, and in seconds, the crate's top was back on, the screws re-attaching themselves, sealing the thing shut. Oak looked to Caraway.

"We came in here to retrieve this and bring it up to the Atrium... but the R&D staff refused to co-operate when we told them it was needed... they said it still had several field testing trials to go through before it would be ready..."

Rowan picked up

"We tried to explain to them that this was technically a field test... but they wouldn't listen...we tried to take it despite their protest...they said they would defend the project with their lives if necessary... put up a heavy fight with their GAOs, Oak and Myself were forced to deal with them... after that was done, Oak had Clemont put them to sleep via a hypnotic suggestion... then you came in."

Oak looked to Caraway urgently as he and Rowan picked up the ends of the crate as they had earlier, hoisting it off the ground and supporting it's wieght between the two of them.

"But that's not important right now, what is important is that we get this thing up to the Atrium so that it can actually be useful."

Rowan nodded in agreement. Caraway looked at the two of them... then made up his mind about what he'd do.

"Alright," he said, walking over to them and picking up the middle portion, further distributing the weight of the container.

"Tell me, how powerful is this thing when fired."

Oak answered

"In the last test, it tore through a foot thick piece of steel like it was tissue paper. if that Bird gets hit by even a single shell from this, it'll cause severe damage."

that was all the further convincing Caraway needed. the three men hoisted the crate and carried it out of the room and into the corridor, heading for the Elevator as fast as they could...

Lars sighed, taking out the spheres containing his GAOs. He decided he would run them both through the healing machine, just to be safe. Dominance hadn't really done a whole lot at the side gate, due to having a hard time hitting the floating creatures, but Sleepy was probably fairly tired mentally. Lars smiled at the capsule. The little guy had done good work.

After healing them, he walked into the armory. He wasn't a big fan of guns, and he especially didn't like killing anything, especially wildlife. Though, technically this giant bird they spoke of probably wasn't natural wildlife. He resigned himself to the job, knowing that that was what he was expected to do here. He went to the crates, digging through them trying to find extra clips that looked like the one on his rifle. Honestly, he had no idea what type of gun it was, and nobody had bothered explaining it to him. It had sort of just been thrust into his hands as the creatures swarmed. Luckily, he had figured out how to use it, all thanks to their earlier training. He exited the armory, all ready for battle. He sighed again. High pressure situations didn't go well with his laid-back personality.

Kenny and his GAOs headed into the Armory, since Kenny had dropped his Rifle in order to catch his GAOs when they'd been blown towards him by the Attack from the Bird, and it had subsequently been blown away by the same wind. When they went in, Kenny noticed an open crate, which was labeled only with a star, at the back of the Armory, and he went over to investigate it. Inside the crate were quite a few Flashbang Grenades.

Well, this is quite the find! These will be VERY useful!

Kenny took ten of them, and put them in his backpack in one of the five remaining empty pockets. He then went over to the walls of the Armory, grabbed a M-11 and a X-19, went over to the Ammo crates, put four of each Clip Type in two of the last four empty pockets of his bag, two of each for himself, two of each for those of his fellow Squadron Members that needed Reloads, giving him Eight Spare Clips in total, loaded both Guns with one more Ammo Clip of their respective type each, put the M-11 in his pocket for a quick draw, and put the X-19 in one of the final two empty Pockets of his bag, with the Grip sticking out for easy access. Ryu and Eve made sure to know where the Spare Clips and the Flashbang Grenades were located in the bag, so that they could easily help out their Trainer if they needed to. The three of them then walked out of the Armory, ready to take on the Bird.

"Just stay alive alright kid..." After Sid heard Clint's remark as he leaves. yeah i almost forgot i was suppose to do that..he, well here's hoping. Sid smiles and grabs his GAO's capsule after being healed.

Sid went straight forward through the armory and browse for equipment. "Time to pack heat. ..hmm let see, Smoke grenade? pff. i got unlimited access to that" he looks at Horsea's capsule."hmm, maybe i should pack light. i got my riffle, so i'll grab a pair these and some clips". Sid reaches for the beretta and some ammunition, after that he went to regroup with his fellow cadets.

Edited by typhlosionrulez

Jory entered the Armory and looked around. There were armaments everywhere, but his attention was immediately drawn to a crate on the far side of the room. He popped the lid off and smiled as he opened it up. He took out a standard issue loadout, then turned to the rest of the squad. "Let's go roast this oversized chicken."

Edited by Jory

Clint stepped in behind Jory, who was picking up something out of a crate. He walked past him and straight to the wall. "Berretta, huh? I guess this'll do," he muttered to himself as he picked up the weapon. He quickly cocked the weapon and checked the safety to make sure it was still on, then walked over and grabbed a few clips of ammo. He heard Jory say something about roasting the oversized chicken and smirked. "Now who's the cocky one?" he thought to himself, then decided to join in with Jory. "Please, man that punk ass bird is about as dead as a thanksgiving dinner," he turned and smirked at Jory, "Shouldn't be a problem, not with a group as tough as us."

Surge walked out of the armory, Strapped to one of his shoulders was an X-19 assualt Rifle, on the other, was a Standard issue rifle. he had the spare ammo clips for both of the weapons were tucked into the pockets of his Fatigues, along with a few Flash bangs. He looked down to Infantry as he headed for the door where Erick and a few others were waiting

"You ready for this, Infantry?" He asked

The Flareon let out a shower of sparks in answer.

As everyone has now been prepared for the hellish fight ahead, the Door's slid open, and through them Walked General McCarthy, his two GAOs behind him, both standing at attention.

The General looked over the group, satisfied that they had taken his advisement and armed themselves.

"FOX1," He began

"This is the moment of truth. whether we all live, or die... it will be decided in that Atrium..."

The General looked at each of the former cadets in turn, starring directly into their eyes

"Are you all ready?" he asked seriously

Lars looked at the General, his usual blank expression returning to his face. He really had no idea what they were up against. He had missed most of the battle at the side gates when Sleepy had warped him away, but the bodies they had walked past on the way here gave him some idea. He responded to the general.

"Yes..." he paused for a while before seeming to remember something. He slowly added. "um, sir."