Combo! Field Effects

• Administrators

So, remember at the advent of Black and White, when Nintendo announced the super exciting prospect of Combination Attacks and their temporary field bonuses?

...Because neither do I.

In fact, most people forgot that the Pledge moves existed at all, even after 6th gen's buff to them. Certainly nobody bothered with the tedious doubles-only set up for just 4 turns of whooshiness.

Alas! They are not not to be forgotten! Several of the Field Effects debuting with Episode 12 include the resurgence of these combination attacks! Further, the Pledge moves have been given a non-canonical implementation in Reborn. Pledge moves no longer need to be used in succession in order to activate, and so the combination bonuses can be used even in single battles. A Pledge Tutor is also available in the E12 area, so experiment with what kind of strategies you can pull off with these new Field Effects!

Normally at this part, I would point you to our Field Effects page, but due to site issues that we're still working on, I currently can't edit the main site. Soooo, details are going to have to go here.

#--------------------------- Burning Field --------------------------------#

fe7.png

The field is ablaze!

• Grounded non-fire types take type-scaling damage at the end of each turn
  • Pokemon with the following abilities are immune to the field damage:

-Magma Armor -Flame Body -Flash Fire -Flare Boost -Water Veil

• Pokemon in an Aqua Ring are immune to the field damage
  • Pokemon with the following abilities take x2 field damage:

-Ice Body -Leaf Guard -Grass Pelt

• Fire moves from grounded Pokemon increase base power x1.5
  • Grass moves against grounded Pokemon decrease in base power x0.5
  • Ice moves decrease in base power x0.5
  • The following moves will terminate this field effect:

-Surf -Muddy Water -Sludge Wave -Gust -Whirlwind

-Razor Wind -Defog -Sand Tomb -Water Sport -Water Pledge

-Hurricane

• Sand and Rain weather effects terminate this field effect.
  • The abilities Flash Fire and Flare Boost are activated
  • The base accuracy of the following moves becomes 100:

-Will-o-wisp

• No Pokemon can be frozen
  • The following moves gain double their normal stat-changing effects:

-Smokescreen

• The following moves gain a x1.5 increase in power and apply additional Fire type damage:

-Smack Down -Smog -Clear Smog

• Nature Power becomes Flamethrower

#--------------------------- Swamp Field --------------------------------#

fe8.png

The field is swamped.

• At the end of each turn the speed of each grounded Pokemon is reduced one stage
  • Pokemon with the following abilities are immune to the field slow:

-Clear Body -Quick Feet -Swift Swim -White Smoke

• The effect of Gooey is doubled.
  • Ingrain damages its user instead of heals
  • Pokemon with the ability Dry Skin recover 1/16 Max HP each turn
  • Aqua Ring restores 1/8 Max HP each turn (from 1/16)
  • Poison moves against grounded Pokemon increase base power x1.5
  • The follow moves gain a x1.5 increase in power:

-Mud Bomb -Mud Shot -Mud Slap -Muddy Water -Surf

-Sludge Wave -Gunk Shot -Brine -Smack Down

• Prevents use of Self-destruct and Explosion
  • The base accuracy of the following moves becomes 100:

-Sleep Powder

• Sleeping Pokemon suffer 1/16 Max HP damage each turn
  • Nature Power becomes Muddy Water

#--------------------------- Rainbow Field --------------------------------#

fe9.png

What does it mean?

• The secondary effect chance of all moves is doubled
  • Cloud Nine will randomy boost one stat at the end of each turn
  • The ability Marvel Scale is activated
  • Wonderskin will evade all status moves (from 50%)
  • Normal moves increase base power x1.5 and apply damage of a random type
  • The follow moves gain a x1.5 increase in power:

-Silver Wind -Mystical Fire -Dragon Pulse -Tri-Attack -Sacred Fire

-Fire Pledge -Water Pledge -Grass Pledge -Aurora Beam -Judgment

-Relic Song -Hidden Power -Secret Power -Weather Ball -Mist Ball

-Heart Stamp -Moon Blast -Zen Headbutt

• The following moves suffer a x0.5 decrease of power:

-Dark Pulse -Night Daze -Shadow Ball

• The following moves' stat-boosting effect is amplified:

-Meditate -Cosmic Power

• Wish restores 75% of the user's Max HP (from 50%)
  • Nightmare and Bad Dreams have no effect.
  • Sleep Pokemon recover 1/16 Max HP each turn
  • Sonicboom deals 140 flat HP damage

(oh, and special thanks to blind guardian for putting up with my craycray and helping me get these going~)

• Upvote 1

And i'm just sitting here looking at those spawned Ho-Oh, Goomy and Shiny Talonflame...

Wait, so the "Big Top" was really a joke? Aww... Oh well. When Terra comes in, the Rainbow field activates immediately?

And i can't shake the feeling that the Goomy is something Ame would do: Level 98, you have 2 levels to evolve it. Good Luck.

These all look really damn good; one criticism that I have to make, though, is that it's a bit unfair certain type moves do less damage on these field effects; pokémon more specifically oriented to using these move types are going to be useless if you're journeying through a natural field effect.

These are great! (not deadly enough if you ask me but i always have that problem ^_^) Can't wait for ep.12, one question: why only Sleep Powder is affected by the Swamp Field? Shouldn't it be all Powder moves?

I just...

The field effects I really like (especially dat Burning field), but you're getting a bit silly with these Pokemon you're spawning to showcase them... there are no random level 98 Goomy running around Reborn. (...Are there? Because that'd actually be legit terrifying.)

Also 140 damage Sonicbooms are something straight out of my nightmares. It took me a minute to catch the reference though I am ashamed...

Hey Vinny.

I don't think we can get Goomy to LISTEN to us at that level either, so you have the extra hassle of switch training it...

...all for a Pokemon you still can't use until you have enough badges. Better stick with your Flygons and Noiverns folks.

• Administrators

The field effects I really like (especially dat Burning field), but you're getting a bit silly with these Pokemon you're spawning to showcase them... there are no random level 98 Goomy running around Reborn. (...Are there? Because that'd actually be legit terrifying.)

I was being a bit silly, yes-- is it jarring? Part of the reason I went so extreme was so that people wouldn't think that there were actually Goomy running around Azurine and waste time looking for it. I was just looking for Pokemon that suited the field theme. Except Burning-- I just wanted to roast a spider for that one.

I was being a bit silly, yes-- is it jarring? Part of the reason I went so extreme was so that people wouldn't think that there were actually Goomy running around Azurine and waste time looking for it. I was just looking for Pokemon that suited the field theme. Except Burning-- I just wanted to roast a spider for that one.

Nah, it's not jarring. It made me laugh, actually. Even moreso that the Ariados was really out of place as it was the only normal one, among level 98 Goomy and Ho-oh of all things. (Although Ho-oh does fit the theme better than anything else would.)

@People looking for Goomy on Azurine Island: THERE IS NO MEW UNDER THE TRUCK YOU'VE BEEN LIED TO.

Ame cooking spiders like a boss. I just expected Goomy to be Lin's .. But okay :)

...Aaaaaw, now I want this to happen. Lin still scares me but this would be pretty cute.

Very interesting.

I wonder how soon we'll have access to using the move effects. The fire terrain will almost murder anyone's vanilluxe with one hit from what I can tell. So it works like stealth rock but since vanilluxe can have ice body it'd be the same as it losing half of its max health I think? That rainbow terrain is like telling me don't push your luck with normal types but we'll see what happens.