I guess I worded my argument for ghost being not very effective poorly, but the hive mind wasn't the main point. The main argument was similar to why psychic would be weak against bugs, they don't really think. Since bugs are almost entirely instinctual I can't imagine them having any real reactions to fears (I think ghost types base most of their moves off of fear or 'magic' from the occult.) To clarify, because bugs rely entirely on stimuli the creepy and ominous aura that a ghost would rely on in battle would be gone, the bug would see what it really sees and react simple as that. The real reason was a balancing act of course, but I think it makes sense to an extent, though this is just my opinion.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, I think a problem may be that we're focusing too much on "bugs" and not enough on "bug pokemon." Remember, while they may resemble bugs, a big part of what makes them Pokemon is their heightened brain capacity, right alongside their powers. I would expect that almost any pokemon has the capacity for fear, since they obviously have the brain capacity to take orders and make "friends" of sorts. I think we should consider that while making these choices.

Well, I think a problem may be that we're focusing too much on "bugs" and not enough on "bug pokemon." Remember, while they may resemble bugs, a big part of what makes them Pokemon is their heightened brain capacity, right alongside their powers. I would expect that almost any pokemon has the capacity for fear, since they obviously have the brain capacity to take orders and make "friends" of sorts. I think we should consider that while making these choices.

And there comes the voice of reason, reminding us all of one major factor we forgot. *Face Palm*

Flux is absolutely right, soldiers... we all forgot about the heightened intellect the average pokemon has compared to the previous animals of the earth's biosphere. If it's capable of understanding a human language fluently and following commands, then it most likely also has the capacity to fear as well... Indeed, we were all talking about "Bugs" as they once were in the world, rather than as they are currently, in the form of certain species of GAOs

Alright well I guess the resisting ghost isn't going to fly for bug types, though we now have a serious problem. Bugs would be weak to 5 type, resist only 2 and would still be a bad defensive type. I think we all knew going in that some types would be considerably weaker than others, but right off the bat we have a type that's almost left in the dust. So how about it, do we leave bug where we left it or is their another type that bugs can succeed against?

well bug was never really all that good to begin with...was probably the worst type to use even, so if no one else can think of another thing to try to balance it out, I'm fine accepting it as how it is now.

Oh, and another thing.

just to make it clear once and for all and secede us from the binds of a traditional "Children's Game": This ain't pokemon, soldiers. Pokemon is a fantasy, Surge Story is a Science Fiction set in the 2060s and onward. Pokemon... is prettied up, tailored for the likings of young children, Surge Story is most DEFIANTLY not. Things in Surge Story are not sugar coated, they are not prettied up or censored, but instead raw and real, uncut and sometimes even surprisingly harsh at times.

This... my friends, is NOT Pokemon anymore. Oh no, what we have here, lying before us, is instead Pokemon Reimagined, revisualized, taken from the realms of the fantastical to those of logic and hard reason. It is pokemon as it might be, if it were to ever exist in our world.

But Surge Story is also a tale of war, the story of an American Military Officer, and the Squadron who served under him during the war to end all foreseeable wars... the war that would make America and it's allies the most powerful nations on the earth... the war that would decide who would go on to rule the global stage. The story of NATO, and it's final, heated battle... and it is also the story of the strange, mutated organisms who fought alongside these soldiers and their commanding officer, just as much as it is about them.

The stage is set, the clock ticking, tensions rising... Kommaru Rising. The world's a powder keg... and the fuse is lit.

That, Soldiers... is what this is.

WE aren't pokemon anymore. we may share things in common, most notably the existence of strange creatures capable of far more destruction than any other weapon known to man. But we are done.

There will be some events in this world, that of Surge and his men, far in the future that will hold some basic semblance to those described in Pokemon's games... but they will be heavily edited, altered, rationalized. they will be made real. You will find no 10 year old children running around taking on mobsters(Rocket) here, or Animal Rights terrorists (Plasma), or Eco Terrorists(Magma/Aqua)... oh no, such ridiculousness will not stand in this world. Things will be revised, reexamined, and won't be accepted until they actually make sense. The boy known as Red will not be a child, but instead perhaps a JDF agent under code name... and perhaps the boy known as "Black" will not be a teenager, but instead a young HS agent... who knows?

All that matters is that this is our story now. not Gamefreak's, But our's, soldiers, and Our's alone. we will mold events as we shall see fit. And perhaps when we're finally done, we'll have something... worth being proud of.

I hereby officially secede us from the traditional binds of Pokemon, that we may establish a more perfect system and story. If you agree to this, soldiers... then, sign your Forum handle below.

Surge

We have no reason to call em Pokemon, really... short for "Pocket Monster" afterall...

hmm... well, maybe we will, name kinda makes sense in a way. We'll just have to wait and see. what will most likely happen is that "Pokemon" may become the slang term used most often by society, while the government still addresses the creatures as GAOs

EDIT: Soldiers, some new intel has been brought to me by Clemont...

Now...I simply must get one of those...

Alright, Soldeirs, I just edited post #3 of this thread to serve as the new place for the RP mechanics to be listed. I have compiled a section on the types there as well, and listed the changes we made for bug (I basically just quoted Super's initial post and then changed around a couple of things as needed, in addition I also gave bug a resistance to Grass and changed the reason why Psychic wasn't effective against it since the one we had before was along the same lines for why Ghost was not.)

So, who want's to start the discussion on Dark Types? or should I go ahead and do it?