Narcissca fight is(was) driving me mad

Monochrome_Complex

Replaying and Narcissca just feels unfair honestly, even moreso than the Mewtwo fight.

The problem is that she relies heavily on  status, on a field that makes  status  hard to avoid and the player has absolutely no held items at this point to deal with such, save for a pecha berry at the emporium except she doesn't use poison so w/e. Almost feels like you HAVE to use bag items (something I'm trying not to do)or else the match becomes a RNG fest of whether or not your pokemon wake up from spiritomb or driblim's hypnosis quickly enough. Driftblim also outspeeds anything you have at this point so there's that. Thankfully it doesn't hit too hard, but that doesn't make the "no, you can't play" strat of sleep abuse any less aggravating.

Maybe I'm just missing a berry location? 4th gym and I haven't seen a single berry outside the ones in Gearen.

I've been playing 6 hours straight fighting her and if I'm lucky I can get her down to Dusclops but at that point it's just too bulky for anything to matter.

I got close to beating her a few attempts but then she goes into potion abuse mode. Why does she have like 3-4 potions? I feel like 2 should be enough.

I remember her being hard but not this bad, I never had this much trouble with her previous playthroughs.  Right now I have Blaziken, Vaporeon, Graveler, A-graveler, shuppet and Pangoro. They got me the furthest so far.  I honestly don't know who else to use at this point.

this is on set with no bag items btw, so keep that in mind if you have any tips. 

UPDATE:  FINALLY after 12+ hours of failed attempts, team restructures, and self-harm(not the serious kind! I'm fine) I've defeated her!!!! ;_; It so turns out Ariados is quite useful for this gym! It gets insomnia, shadow sneak,  AND night shade letting it take advantage of the field quite well. I replaced Kanto-graveler with him which helped out a lot.

Spoiler

-For drifblim I lead with Alola Graveler w/electric gem and used thunder punch to bring it yellow. Even if graveler gets crit on it can still survive with sturdy. Provided Drfiblim doesn't get the def boost off spectral scream the burn damage brings it close enough to where shuppet can finish it with shadow sneak(drifblim  most of the time uses hidden power fighting to finish off A-graveler which lets shuppet get a free switch) . Sometimes though the def boost prevents thunderpunch from dealing enough so I have to switch to pangoro to resist a spectral scream and stall it a bit more. Then there were times where Drifbloom would use spectral scream instead of hidden power which would kill shuppet and ruin everything. Shuppet was key in this match.

-Chandelure usually follows so I switch back to A-graveler to take the fatal blow and have Vaporeon deal with chandelure, which even with the passho berry is feasible most of the time and Vaporeon can tank special hits like a boss. There were a couple of attempts where I got bad rolls and lost Vaporeon here but 85% of the time this was usually a win.

-Rotom is next and I initially had the flawed strategy of having Blaziken with cell battery take him out with a flame charge(which gets boosted with an additional ghost typing  on the field so it's a OHKO on rotom) but this was inconsistent and subject to fall apart with either Blaziken getting paralyzed off discharge and taking too much damage in general. I did the cell battery trick but with Ariados instead which worked better. one night shade puts rotom within ko range of a +1shadow sneak and even on crit rotom fails to KO ariados off discharge. The paralysis factor was still an issue but thankfully it only messed me up once. 

-mimikyu is arguably one of her more troublesome mons. At  first I used kanto graveler to deal with it due to its high defense but getting consistent enough damage was a gamble since I had to rely on magnitude <_< If I wasn't scoring anything over a 7 it usually meant trouble. After replacing with ariados I was at least able to break the disguise via shadow sneak, even if ariados usualy just died to mimikyu. With the disguise broken though blaziken could hit it with flame charge which would bring it to red. As long as I didn't get crit on, mimikyu could at most bring Blaziken from full health down to yellow or red.

-spiritomb was ANNOYING. I eventually realized sleep talk Pangoro was the best way to deal with him, but even then luck had to be on my side. If he got too many def boosts off spectral scream or I got lousy sleep talk draws(bullet punch instead of  rock smash/vital throw) this usually spelt doom for me in the long run. Honestly I think spiritomb screwed over more of my attempts than mimikyu did. 

-lastly but not least is dusclops. Honestly I came VERY close to beating dusclops several times but Narcy would start potion spamming which would ruin all my hard work.  The tricky thing about dusclops is that it's bulky but can chew through health like candy with night shade. Not only that but there were times that despite being up against Pangoro with like 70% health it would use spectral scream which would ruin my switch in to shuppet.(who being at full health could take a night shade and as a bonus even disable it if cursed body triggered) My strat against dusclops was to use shuppet's curse and slowly whittle it down/stall it out with Pangoro and whoever I had left, who was usually Blaziken. This was a good strat actually, except for Nacry's potion abuse <_< On my winning attempt she healed dusclops 3 turns straight with potions which bit her in the butt since I got def drops off rock smash each time haha. I was trying to drop her defense low enough anyway so flame charge from Blaziken would KO, but I didn't have to since Dusclops died from curse damage as it KO'd Pangoro.  In the end I only had a blaziken with 27 HP left. 

Thankfully the nightmare is over, and I can sleep soundly tonight. I first tried to add Altaria but....nah it didn't work lol. The idea was to change the field to mist but Altaria  just keep getting KO'd too quickly and can't hit hard enough even with mirror move.  Ariados ended up working out and I'm glad it did.

Thanks to everyone who replied with tips, they were pretty useful ideas and made me notice a lot of stuff I missed. Still gonna see where to get Ribombee, it's one of my favorite pokemon.

7 minutes ago, Monochrome_Complex said:

Replaying and Narcissca just feels unfair honestly, even moreso than the Mewtwo fight.

The problem is that she relies heavily on  status, on a field that makes  status  hard to avoid and the player has absolutely no held items at this point to deal with such, save for a pecha berry at the emporium except she doesn't use poison so w/e. Almost feels like you HAVE to use bag items (something I'm trying not to do)or else the match becomes a RNG fest of whether or not your pokemon wake up from spiritomb or driblim's hypnosis quickly enough. Driftblim also outspeeds anything you have at this point so there's that. Thankfully it doesn't hit too hard, but that doesn't make the "no, you can't play" strat of sleep abuse any less aggravating.

Maybe I'm just missing a berry location? 4th gym and I haven't seen a single berry outside the ones in Gearen.

I've been playing 6 hours straight fighting her and if I'm lucky I can get her down to Dusclops but at that point it's just too bulky for anything to matter.

I got close to beating her a few attempts but then she goes into potion abuse mode. Why does she have like 3-4 potions? I feel like 2 should be enough.

I remember her being hard but not this bad, I never had this much trouble with her previous playthroughs.  Right now I have Blaziken, Vaporeon, Graveler, A-graveler, shuppet and Pangoro. They got me the furthest so far.  I honestly don't know who eslse to use at this point.

this is on set with no bag items btw, so keep that in mind if you have any tips. 

I feel you she was the third hardest gym leader in rejuvenation for me from what i heard flash completly nerfs her , ghost vs ghost is viable and a friend of mine recommend me to use shifry( evolve the nuzleaf in sheridan with the hidden leaf stone) her status are the most anoying and hypnosis accuracy is boosted in her field so i would change the field and get a pokemon that cant be burned or paraleyzed , sorry dont know much else I beat her using poison and leaf storm from my victreebel with a few healing items , but i dont have enough experience(i have only done one run of rejuvenation) to help much more hope this helps

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Mudkip604 said:

I feel you she was the third hardest gym leader in rejuvenation for me from what i heard flash completly nerfs her , ghost vs ghost is viable and a friend of mine recommend me to use shifry( evolve the nuzleaf in sheridan with the hidden leaf stone) her status are the most anoying and hypnosis accuracy is boosted in her field so i would change the field and get a pokemon that cant be burned or paraleyzed , sorry dont know much else I beat her using poison and leaf storm from my victreebel with a few healing items , but i dont have enough experience(i have only done one run of rejuvenation) to help much more hope this helps

It does help actually, because I didn't know about a hidden leaf stone. I do have a weepinbell with knock off so that can help with dusclops at least. Problem is I have nothing that can change the field in my box.  I don't have flash either but that sounds pretty good to use. 

Well, I used Electorde with flash to change the field. With the first chance I used Noctowl with echoed voice. It did the job. I also used Hariyama with knock off for her Dusklops and a Butterfree with Sleep Powder. Plus Pancham and Sawsbuck. It didn't really give me that much of a hard time. Hope it helps...

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, trogisfat said:

use an uburden drifblim 

Hmm worth considering though I'm not sure what item to give? Not a whole lot of berries available atm. But good advice, I totally missed drifloon before.

Ribombee too. I didn't even know it was available yet.

Being able to change the field would make the fight much easier. I nearly beat her twice tonight's attempts but again, her potion abuse makes Dusclops unkillable. I have to get lucky and hope she burns her potions(usually on mimikyu) before getting to him otherwise I'm screwed. 

Good advice guys, thanks. 

9 hours ago, Flaffney64 said:

I taught some of my Pokémon sleep talk with the tm so they could attack through sleep

Wait where is that TM? That would certainly be of use but I don't have it.

EDIT: sorry for the double post, I haven't been on here in a long time so I'm have some rust regarding how the posting actually works lol.