Post 5th gym team rework suggestions

pizzagod13

EDIT: I have edited my team, thanks for any suggestions that were provided. New team is

Espeon

Greninja

Venasaur

Lycanroc

Oricorio (to be replaced with Magnazone when it becomes avaliabel)

Incinaroar

I just beat the fifth gym in Rejuvenation and went onwards to the next part of the game. Then the fight on the bridge started to kick my teeth in. I did eventually manage to beat it, with a bit of changes to party order, use of sitrus berries and some luck. Note: I am also playing on set mode with no items allowed (normal difficulty too), so potion spamming is out of the question...

Despite winning I have started to realize that some of my team is not really pulling their weight and I feel like my streak of winning without too much trouble will soon come to an end, if I don't change something up soon. Sorry in advance if I misspell Pokémon names. I am also playing on set mode with no items allowed (normal difficulty too), so potion spamming is out of the question...

Team is

Greninja (Protean) Sp.A and Speed Evs

Vileplume Sp.A and HP Evs

Lycranroc (Dusk) At and Speed Evs

Oricorio (Electric) Sp.A and Speed Evs

Pyroar Sp.A and Speed Evs

Gothitelle Sp. A and Speed Evs (I think at least)

Both Lycranroc and Pyroar seem to get blown up instantly. They are glass cannons to be sure, and they certainty CAN do stuff. But most of the time they just die and they are also impossible to switch into. I am not sure I want half my team to be glass cannons, but, maybe there is some way to make it work?

Anyway, I can't really EV train quickly until I am able to return to the city, but I would appreciate suggestions, so that I can change things up when I get to that point. 

Note: I still have the Eevee that you get from the one quest, so it can turn into plenty of Pokemon...

Again any help or suggestions on what to add to the crew would be appreciated! Thanks

EDIT: Just got the Growlith, should be a good replacement for Pyroar eventually (need to wait until it learns flare blitz) so i guess Pyroar can stay until then maybe?

Edited by pizzagod13
new info

I don't have many suggestions, but is the 5th gym Valarie? If so, the help center in the next town should offer a Magnemite as a reward which is always one of my best pokemon in a playthrough since it is pretty tanky and gets sturdy. I would personally replace Oricorio with that. In general, if you are having survivability issues, a tanky pokemon would help a lot, especially since it seems like you dont have any. So maybe an Umbreon? you can always get more Eevee through breeding. With the way you're playing, it may be helpful to have more than 6 pokemon ready to fight and swap them out as needed.

Just now, Arlonen said:

I don't have many suggestions, but is the 5th gym Valarie? If so, the help center in the next town should offer a Magnemite as a reward which is always one of my best pokemon in a playthrough since it is pretty tanky and gets sturdy. I would personally replace Oricorio with that. In general, if you are having survivability issues, a tanky pokemon would help a lot, especially since it seems like you dont have any. So maybe an Umbreon? you can always get more Eevee through breeding. With the way you're playing, it may be helpful to have more than 6 pokemon ready to fight and swap them out as needed.

I already beat the 5th gym, the water one. First line bud lol. 

I will consider replacing oricorio with magneton, seems potentially useful. I had the same thought about Umbreon, but am not sure how good it will be without toxic. My vileplume has it, so I suppose I could still do toxic strategies. 

I also just got the growlith, so once it learns flare blitz (at lv 56 cause they want me to suffer) I can replace my fire type with that...

Thanks for the suggestions!

3 hours ago, pizzagod13 said:

I just beat the fifth gym in Rejuvenation and went onwards to the next part of the game. Then the fight on the bridge started to kick my teeth in. I did eventually manage to beat it, with a bit of changes to party order, use of sitrus berries and some luck. Note: I am also playing on set mode with no items allowed (normal difficulty too), so potion spamming is out of the question...

35 minutes ago, pizzagod13 said:

I already beat the 5th gym, the water one. First line bud lol. 

Right, I just wasn't sure which type the 5th gym was, its been a while since I did a playthrough. First line only said which gym was beaten, not which one it was. Hope the suggestions help!

I think it's the Vileplume, Oricorio, Pyroar and Ghothitelle..

- Vileplume isn't a very good Grass/Poison but, rejoice! One of the Help Request of Terajuma gives you a Bulbasaur which is a good replacement for it while still maintaining the type
- Oricorio is so-so tbh.. It does has it's moments and I did win the 6th gym using one but aside from that it's a good idea to switch it out.. If you're looking for an Electric type there's a Shinx you could had gotten on the Hotel in Gaeren but if you didn't there was also that Voltorb very early by buying that guys expensive pokeballs in Gaeren too but if you ALSO didn't got that there's Grubbins in Terajuma Forest so you can get a Vikavolt but if you're looking for a Flying type I usually go with Swoobat (Which is caught on the seweers of Gaeren), Swanna (If you picked the abandoned egg on Akuma Town) or Talonflame (Right in the beginning of the game), Swoobat can be a force to be reckon with if he has the Simple Ability and you get Calm Mind, Swanna is a nice Water/Flying that works nicelly on rain teams and Talonflame is just a good Pokemon in general, not as good since the nerf on gen7 but still pulls it's weight and by the next gym he can learn Acrobatics.
- Pyroar was always a weird one to me.. His highest status is S.Atk but his best ability is Moxie which increases Atk.. There are MANY other Fyre Types and even Normal Typers better than him.. If you're looking for Fire Types there's already the previous mentioned Talonflame, you can get a Macargo on the Safari Zone, a Camerupt by getting a Numel on the hidden Xen Base in Sheridan or even just play with the Growlith next to Terajuma to let him join you but if you want a Normal Type I always go with Ambipom, he is one of the best revenge killers with Fake Out + Double Hit combo with the Technician Ability, you can also have a Soutland at this point if you got the Lilipup on one of the colored apartments on Gaeren.
- Ghothitelle isn't exactly bad is just that there are better Psychic types out there, like Espeon, if you did the Help Request on Sheridan you should have one, just get his friendship at max and evolve it by levling during the day, or the previous mentioned Swoobat or, if you looking for an Psychic Attacker, Medichan, you can get a Meditite on the Amethyst Cave, you could had also gotten an Espurr on Goldenleaf Town if you played with it, there's also the Mime Jr you get on the hidden Xen Base in Sheridan covering both Psychic and Fairy type or, if you wanna keep the bulky S.Def Psychic slot, there was an Elgyen on the hidden library on Gaeren if you collected all the books scattered around and placed on the shelf.

Anyway it's up to you.

Oricorio is okayish, but not the best. Its movepool is very limited and its stats are just good enough. You can get an item to boost Oricorio's stats, but it's available later on in the game in chapter 13 though. 

Pyroar suffers the same fate as Oricorio: its movepool is too limited. Better Fire type options are Growlithe, Litten or Salandit. All of them are available in chapter 6. 

You'll probably need a good Flying type for the next gym. Speedy Rock types like Lycanroc are also very helpful. You can catch a Trumbeak in the Terajuma Jungle. Toucannon is surprisingly good with Skill Link and its high Attack stat. Other decent options are Talonflame and Crobat. Zubat is not easy to obtain though. 

21 hours ago, MhicKy said:

I think it's the Vileplume, Oricorio, Pyroar and Ghothitelle..

- Vileplume isn't a very good Grass/Poison but, rejoice! One of the Help Request of Terajuma gives you a Bulbasaur which is a good replacement for it while still maintaining the type
- Oricorio is so-so tbh.. It does has it's moments and I did win the 6th gym using one but aside from that it's a good idea to switch it out.. If you're looking for an Electric type there's a Shinx you could had gotten on the Hotel in Gaeren but if you didn't there was also that Voltorb very early by buying that guys expensive pokeballs in Gaeren too but if you ALSO didn't got that there's Grubbins in Terajuma Forest so you can get a Vikavolt but if you're looking for a Flying type I usually go with Swoobat (Which is caught on the seweers of Gaeren), Swanna (If you picked the abandoned egg on Akuma Town) or Talonflame (Right in the beginning of the game), Swoobat can be a force to be reckon with if he has the Simple Ability and you get Calm Mind, Swanna is a nice Water/Flying that works nicelly on rain teams and Talonflame is just a good Pokemon in general, not as good since the nerf on gen7 but still pulls it's weight and by the next gym he can learn Acrobatics.
- Pyroar was always a weird one to me.. His highest status is S.Atk but his best ability is Moxie which increases Atk.. There are MANY other Fyre Types and even Normal Typers better than him.. If you're looking for Fire Types there's already the previous mentioned Talonflame, you can get a Macargo on the Safari Zone, a Camerupt by getting a Numel on the hidden Xen Base in Sheridan or even just play with the Growlith next to Terajuma to let him join you but if you want a Normal Type I always go with Ambipom, he is one of the best revenge killers with Fake Out + Double Hit combo with the Technician Ability, you can also have a Soutland at this point if you got the Lilipup on one of the colored apartments on Gaeren.
- Ghothitelle isn't exactly bad is just that there are better Psychic types out there, like Espeon, if you did the Help Request on Sheridan you should have one, just get his friendship at max and evolve it by levling during the day, or the previous mentioned Swoobat or, if you looking for an Psychic Attacker, Medichan, you can get a Meditite on the Amethyst Cave, you could had also gotten an Espurr on Goldenleaf Town if you played with it, there's also the Mime Jr you get on the hidden Xen Base in Sheridan covering both Psychic and Fairy type or, if you wanna keep the bulky S.Def Psychic slot, there was an Elgyen on the hidden library on Gaeren if you collected all the books scattered around and placed on the shelf.

Anyway it's up to you.

1. Yeah I got the Bulbasaur egg. Will probably consider adding that. Hopefully it has good stats?

2. Can I actually get any of those Pokémon right now? I thought I was trapped on the island or is that not the case? Where is truck guy when you need him (I don't care if that doesn't make sense...) EDIT: Just found out that Yes, I can get back to the main city. Will take these into consideration. 

3. Yeah Pyroar just feels bad, that's why I want to replace it with the doggo. Unfortunately I have to wait until it can learn blitz...

4. Espeon for Gothitelle is a interesting idea, but kinda makes me even more squishy. But, Espeon is just better. I do have most of those other mons tho. 

Thanks for the suggestions.

Edited by pizzagod13

5 hours ago, pizzagod13 said:

1. Yeah I got the Bulbasaur egg. Will probably consider adding that. Hopefully it has good stats?

2. Can I actually get any of those Pokémon right now? I thought I was trapped on the island or is that not the case? Where is truck guy when you need him (I don't care if that doesn't make sense...) EDIT: Just found out that Yes, I can get back to the main city. Will take these into consideration. 

3. Yeah Pyroar just feels bad, that's why I want to replace it with the doggo. Unfortunately I have to wait until it can learn blitz...

4. Espeon for Gothitelle is a interesting idea, but kinda makes me even more squishy. But, Espeon is just better. I do have most of those other mons tho. 

Thanks for the suggestions.

1. It does, it's even better if you get one with Clorophyl and add it to a sunny team, his stats are better than Vileplume to begin with.
2. Sadly you're stuck in there for a while.. There is no truck guy.. 
3. Yeah Pyroar is just bad indeed, I only used one in ghost gym and that's it
4. Speon is always better than Gothitelle, specially if it has Magic Bounce, you can also try to get lucky mining the rocks (or use the save trick where you save, check the rock and then reload if it doesn't have what you're looking for) and try to get a Light Clay since Espeon can learn Reflect and Light Screen which can come in handy in double battles (or even singles) and make up for it's "squishness"

2 hours ago, MhicKy said:

1. It does, it's even better if you get one with Clorophyl and add it to a sunny team, his stats are better than Vileplume to begin with.
2. Sadly you're stuck in there for a while.. There is no truck guy.. 
3. Yeah Pyroar is just bad indeed, I only used one in ghost gym and that's it
4. Speon is always better than Gothitelle, specially if it has Magic Bounce, you can also try to get lucky mining the rocks (or use the save trick where you save, check the rock and then reload if it doesn't have what you're looking for) and try to get a Light Clay since Espeon can learn Reflect and Light Screen which can come in handy in double battles (or even singles) and make up for it's "squishness"

As it turns out you can leave the area. Just have to talk to the captain of the ship. So i did that and trained up a venasuar and espeon, it doesn't have magic bounce, but I can use capsules, I have like 4. Thanks for the suggestions.

• 4 weeks later...

Magnemite is catchable at the safari zone using surf. In previous version it was available after finishing all the help center quests.  You can evolve magneton in the West Gearen generator room, which is unlocked after finishing up the narcissa sidequests up to that point. You'll need a rare candy for it to work since there's no wild pokémon in the room.