Pokémon Vengeance

silverlime

Try out the demo (currently only about 1 hour of gameplay), and join the Discord!

Pokémon Vengeance, heavily inspired by Pokémon Reborn and Rejuvenation, takes place in the Verdiva Region, which consists of 3 main islands:
- Deloria Island, the island on which the player begins their journey, is lush and full of forests, jungles, and mountains (and even a volcano). 

Deloria.png

- Cryolysis Island is very cold and icy, and only consists of 1 city. It is very mountainous and not inhabited by many.

Cryolysis.png

- Dritari Island is very barren except for some areas in the Northeast. Stiffcrack Desert spans throughout this island, making it difficult to build many towns and cities inland, though there are some along the coast.

Dritari.png

You, the player, start in Goldsong Village. This quaint village is on the west coast of Deloria and is known for its beautiful autumn atmosphere. You are visiting your older sister, Aria, for the first time in many years, and are away from your home and parents in Graywave City. Your family, the Knight family, is known throughout the region due to everyone's amazing accomplishments. Your mother, Artemis, was a champion for a long time until her soon-to-be husband, Lucius, defeated her in battle. Even Artemis' sister, Hestia, is well-known due to her Elite Octet status. Lucius and Artemis went on to have 3 children: Anthony, Aria, and you, the player. Anthony is known for his recent status as a Gym Leader, and he was at the top of his class at Darkleaf Academy. Aria, of course, went off to Kalos and earned her name as Kalos Queen. That leaves you. How will you earn a name for yourself? Will you live up to your family's reputation, or will you forge your own instead? How will you react when your perception of reality is shattered? How will you exact your revenge (or towards whom)?

During your time visiting Aria, a tragedy befalls your parents at their home in Graywave City. Verdiva, no longer under the protection of their champion(s), is overcome with people competing for new control over the region. Two new organizations reveal themselves after this tragedy, but their goals and practices differ immensely. Team Regal wishes to seize control of Verdiva now that the two strongest trainers are gone and the region is in disarray. Team Celestial, on the other hand, wishes to prevent people from gaining too much power, because once someone is strong enough to capture legendary Pokémon, they have the ability to disrupt the natural balance and stability in the world, which has been seen countless times in the past. Ultra Space will also be a major focus of Pokémon Vengeance, and the player will be able to explore many aspects of it along his/her journey. You and Aria must become trainers so that you can avoid the fate your parents experienced and choose how to serve justice.

Features:
- 18 Gyms (one for each type)
- Elite Octet (one for each stat)
- Reborn/Rejuvenation-style Field Effects (updated and expanded, including 6 new fields as of now)
- Choices/Actions affecting story
- Gym Leader rematches (several)
- Many new moves/abilities for existing Pokémon (available through tutor and hidden ability)
- All Pokémon from Gen 1 to Gen 8 available by the end of the game (including IoA expansion)
- Z-Moves
- HM replacements
- Improved Pokémon World Tournament

- Custom Mega Evolutions

Some of the early characters (art is not final):

Aria
trainer077.png
You may remember Aria from the XY anime, and yes, this is the same one (albeit some years later). She may have seemed like a happy girl with a perfect life, but there's more of a story behind her. She was born in Graywave City and was pressured by Lucius and Artemis to become a Pokémon trainer. They made her attend Darkleaf Academy until she and her aunt Hera convinced them to allow her to go off to Kalos. Hera set up a mentorship for Aria with a woman named Palermo, with whom she was acquainted. Aria had a lot of fun there exploring how to use Pokémon for performing, though she moved back to Verdiva after rising to the top and having nowhere else to go from there. Unfortunately, so many years later, she still isn't on good terms with her parents when they disappear, which she comes to regret.

Hestia
Capture.PNG
Hestia is a wise, modest woman who is very kind and nurturing. Aria idolizes Hestia for all the help she has given to her. Aria even moved to Goldsong Village just so that she could be near her. However, Hestia is not to be underestimated, and has earned her position as a member of the Elite Octet due to her clever and unique battling style.

Skyler
trainer170.png
Skyler is Aria's new boyfriend, as well as your brother Anthony's best friend throughout their time at school together. He is understanding and generous, and also has a passion for music, which is perhaps a reason Aria (as a performer) was drawn to him. Aria moved in with him after living with Hera in Goldsong Village for some time. Skyler is also the Flying-type Gym Leader of Goldsong Village.

Pokémon World Tournament:
The Pokémon World Tournament will take place in Jadeburn City, and will be available starting after only 3 badges. It is going to be a tremendous part of the game, and hopefully can be as entertaining as possible. All levels will be set to 50, irregardless of whether the player's Pokémon are above or below that level, which allows the player to have fun at any point in the game. The player will register trainers in a device known as the Tournament Pager throughout his/her journey, and you will see this starting right after you get your first Pokémon. The Tournament Pager will be used to register all trainers, including ones from other regions (which there will be quite a lot of). This means that they can all be found somewhere in-game, though many will only appear on certain days of the week. You can participate in the Pokémon World Tournament with anyone registered in the Tournament Pager, though more formats will be available as you register more trainers, progress in the story, and meet other requirements. I plan to include many different tournament formats, and here are some I already have planned (each of these formats will also have choices for either single battles or double battles, and either partial team or full team participation, but the Field Effect will be randomized unless otherwise stated):

Spoiler

Open Tournament: Any trainer registered in the Tournament Pager can compete in this format, and it will be the first one available. Trainers will not have access to TM moves or hidden abilities, and will only have access to level-up moves up to level 50. IVs will be randomized and EVs will be set to 75 in each stat. This should be a manageable format to play in even with the limited availability by the third badge, but most Pokémon will still be fully evolved (unless holding Eviolite).

Open Master Tournament: Any trainer registered in the Tournament Pager can compete in this format, but it will not be available right away. Trainers will have access to all possible moves, abilities, and items. Sets will be made with maximum viability in mind.

Mix Tournament: Similar to the Open Tournament, except each person chooses 1 Pokémon from the opponent's team to add to his/her own team.

Rental Tournament: Each trainer will have a selected team of Pokémon to choose from that are not owned by them. This is another format that will be available near the beginning, as the player's team composition does not matter. As a result, the sets of each Pokémon will be more competitively viable.

Type Master Tournament: Each trainer can only have Pokémon of one type on his/her team. Gym Leaders, Elite Four members, and even some other trainers that have tend to have mostly one type of Pokémon may participate in this format. This will not be available directly after the third gym due to it requiring a more expansive team composition. 

Gym Leaders Tournament: This format be open, but will only will contain Gym Leaders (past and present). While there is no monotype obligation, teams will lean towards a specific type. Perhaps there will be another format with only Gym Leaders from specific regions, like in B2W2.

Elite Tournament: This format will be open, but will only contain Elite Four and Elite Octet members (past and present). While there is no monotype obligation, teams will lean towards a specific type.

Champions Tournament: This format will be open, but will only contain Champions (past and present). This will likely not be available until the post-game and will have teams of the highest viability.

Evil Tournament: This format will be open, but will only contain members from "evil" organizations, which includes Admins and Leaders.

Terrain Master Tournament: In this format, the player will choose a Field Effect, and all of the battles will be on that field. Depending on which field is chosen, different trainers will appear with teams catered to that specific field. This will not be available until the player has registered many trainers into the Tournament Pager, as at least 8 trainers are needed for each of the 49 current fields (though many will participate in multiple fields). Perhaps I will make certain fields available as enough trainers for that field are registered in the Tournament Pager instead of having them all be unlocked at the same time.

Legendary Tournament: This format can only be done in singles and each player only uses 1 Pokémon, which must be a legendary. Obviously, this will not be available until post-game.

Tag Team Tournament: This format can only be done in doubles and the player teams up with a trainer of his/her choice fighting other trainers who also team up. Opposing teammates will not be completely random, so match-ups like Lusamine and Guzma, Trevor and Tierno, and Tate and Liza can be made.

Screenshots from the game so far:
Screenshot_Gallery.png?width=1440&height=432

New fields implemented (details for all fields can be found in the attached Field Effect Manual):

Spoiler

- Indoors

- Boxing Ring

- Subzero Field

- Jungle

- Beach

- Xeric Shrubland

Note that this game is made with Pokémon Essentials. Here's a credits list for work I have used so far:

Spoiler

Gen 7 Data:
- Zeak6464
- TapuFini
- SpartaLazor
- leparagon
- M3rein
- BlackOutG5
- Rune
- Rigbycwts
- Rot8er_ConeX
- James Davy
- Luka S.J.
- silverlime

Mega Evolution Cries:
- AurumDeluxe

Battle Sprites:
- Pokemon Essentials Team
- Amethyst
- Jan
- Zumi
- Bazaro
- Koyo
- Smeargletail
- Alex
- Noscium
- Leparagon
- N-kin
- fishbowlsoul90
- princess-phoenix
- DatLopunnyTho
- Conyjams 
- kaji atsu 
- The cynical poet
- LuigiPlayer
- Falgaia of the Smogon S/M sprite project
- Pikafan2000
- Lord-Myre
- ShinyLyni
- AutumnSpire
- Drawnamu
- Duncapham
- KalerioDion
- TheAetherPlayer
- Crocovyle
- G.E.Z.
- KingOfThe-X-Roads
- Spook
- Cynda
- Involuntary Twitch
- mjco
- Z-nogyroP
- PumpkinPastel
- RadicalCharizard
- EventHorizontal
- zlolxd
- Khrona
- Andracass

Trainer Battle Sprites:
- Kyle-Dove
- Gnomowladny
- MegamanOmega
- geno2925
- PhoenixOfLight92
- Drawnamu
- JIKARORIGINAL
- Zender1752
- Beliot419
- IceJkai
- zlolxd
- Wiispeed03
- Somersault
- silverlime

Trainer Overworld Sprites:
- Dragoon
- Dazz
- izzyvicious
- PizzaSun
- PurpleZaffre
- DevDuelist
- silverlime

Music:
- GlitchxCity
- Lugigigas

Z-Move Scripts:
- Marcello

Tilesets:
- Pokemon Essentials
- Crazyninjaguy
- Magiscarf
- Heckelgrande
- Pokemon Dawn
- PrincesPhoenix
- PkmnAlexandrite
- Alucus
- Kyle Dove
- Dewitty
- CNC
- zetavares852
- The English Kiwi
- LotusKing
- JesusCarrasco
- Kyle dove
- Heavy-Metal-Lover
- xDinky
- Newtiteuf
- Frma96
- Hydrargirium
- Poison-Master
- Thedeadheroalistair
- Shutwig
- Asdsimone
- Xxdevil
- Steinnaples
- Hek-el-grande
- sylver1984
- NikNak93
- TeaAddiction
- Cuddlethefatcat
- Gigatom
- The-Red-eX
- ChaoticCherryCake
- EVoLiNa
- Phyromatical
- Clara-WaH
- ChaoticCherryCake
- silverlime

Animations:
- Pokemon Essentials Team
- Pokepoke12arceus
- Amethyst and Pokemon Reborn Team
- Mde2001
- Smeargletail
- Vulpes Draconis
- andracass

Other Art:
- Jesse M
- Deepzekrom
- Midnitez-REMIX
- Cecihoney
- KaysCollapse
- Pikachumazzinga

Scripting:
- Amethyst and Reborn Team
- Marcello
- Jan and Rejuvenation Team
- MR. GELA
- WolfPP
- FL
- Kurotsune
- Golisopod User
- HM100
- Marin
- CaysCollapse
- silverlime

PBS:
- HM100
- WolfPP
- ardicoozer
- silverlime

Modular Title Screen:
- Luka S.J.

I'd love to hear any questions, thoughts, feedback, or suggestions, and I hope this can become a cool project!

Field_Effect_Manual.txt

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Played through the demo and I'd say what's there so far seems quite promising. It's only one town and route each so not really enough to form concrete expectations; the starting town doesn't have much going on as is usual for Pokémon games but Route 1 has an interesting little gimmick to it that's required to progress through the first time.

Regarding the plot there's not mucbh that can be said since the demo barely scratched the surface but the setup seems interesting enough, although I think the intro bit of the game brings up the bit about your parents a little too often in quick succession. Otherwise the only thing I can say is that I'm not really sure what Aria being a character from the anime is intended to contribute; it seems to be mostly just used as a backstory for her although as someone who hasn't watched the Pokémon anime in a hot minute I don't know what sort of reaction I'm supposed to have to her presence. It did kinda bug me how she just ditches her old Pokémon now because reasons when it's her explicit motivation to become able to protect herself and her family so sticking with the Pokémon she already knows for a long time and is familiar with should really be the smarter choice.

Visually the game looks nice so far. Gen IV graphics produce pretty clean environments and it works well for Route 1 and Goldsong Village's coast. The custom NPC sprites blend in well and the one we get to see in battle so far looks quite good. The protgaonist's various sprites unfortunately all look rather plain and uninteresting, particularly the male ones.

There are no major battles in this demo, but the random trainers on Route 1 are unfortunately rather ill-balanced in my opinion. There levels are a little too high for how little exp you can get until that point without grinding wild encounters and they use quite a number of Pokémon species that are just too strong for that point in the game. The second trainer you can find on Route 1 has a Durant, a Pokémon with three base stats higher than 100 at a point where players are lucky to have more than two Pokémon above Level 5 without grinding them out. Other standout Pokémon found on Route 1 include a Sudowoodo with Stone Edge, a Minimize spamming Litwick that's also surprisingly tanky, a Draining Kiss spamming Comfey that's annoyingly tanky, a Wigglytuff with Hyper Voice, a Snubbul with Elemental Fangs for coverage and potentially an ability that sharply raises its Speed, a Sneasel and a Dunsparce that will Rollout you into oblivion if you don't get rid of it quickly. With a lot of annoyingly strong enemies running around much of the gameplay is spend progressing a few stept forward and then immediately turning back around to the Nurse at the entrance to the Route because your team is on its last leg after just one, maybe two trainer battles. Many of the trainers also already carry three or four Pokémon with them with can make breaking through some of those annoyingly strong ones even more of an issue.

Another contributing factor is that the early game seems rather heavily skewed in favor of Fire Type Starters and pretty heavily screwing over the other two Types. With Route 2 being set in a forest some Type bias is expected but it becomes kind of an issue when the trainers get in on it as well. The Field boosts Grass moves but many of the enemies resist it so if your Starter is a Grass Type your strongest team member's offense just got screwed while Water Starters need to be wary of enemies' powered up Grass moves. Fire Types meanwhile get to burn through the plentiful Bugs you have to fight on this route while being threatened by relatively few enemies.

All that is exacerbated by battles being locked to "Set" mode. I get that it's a game design choice to make battles more challenging by removing a player-only advantage but it really never improves anything when it's forced on everyone. The vast majority of the time all it does is make random trainers more time-consuming to beat than they should be and training up new team members harder than it needs to be. Even if you feel like Set mode is somehow an absolutely vital component for the game to be fun and challenging I feel it would be a much better idea to restrict them to fights where it actually matters instead of also extending it to those trainers that should mainly exist to feed us exp on our way between the important bits of the game. Also options really don't hurt anybody.

Random bit about music: I ran itno an Aroma Lady using Hopes and Dreams from Undertale for her battle music and then a few stept further an Dancer who used a track ripped straight from I think the Gen II games. Talk about whiplash. Also personal opinion but I feel like you shouldn't use climactic final boss music on random route trainers because it dulls the impact of whatever track you'll be using for the battles that are actually supposed to feel climactic. Particularly if it's music from other games the emotional connection players may have with it is going to make it hard for other tracks to compete against that.

Lastly two bugs I encountered: during the battle at the big honey tree the enemy's Lv 6 Combee had an invisible sprite

Secondly both Fury Swipes and Fury Attack don't work and throw out an error related to the Battlebond Ability for some unfathomable reason:

image.png.17853aa3d905d17ee58e9109fee35677.png

Clicking on OK results in the Pokémon's turn being skipped

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Gentleman Jaggi said:

Played through the demo and I'd say what's there so far seems quite promising. It's only one town and route each so not really enough to form concrete expectations; the starting town doesn't have much going on as is usual for Pokémon games but Route 1 has an interesting little gimmick to it that's required to progress through the first time.

Regarding the plot there's not mucbh that can be said since the demo barely scratched the surface but the setup seems interesting enough, although I think the intro bit of the game brings up the bit about your parents a little too often in quick succession. Otherwise the only thing I can say is that I'm not really sure what Aria being a character from the anime is intended to contribute; it seems to be mostly just used as a backstory for her although as someone who hasn't watched the Pokémon anime in a hot minute I don't know what sort of reaction I'm supposed to have to her presence. It did kinda bug me how she just ditches her old Pokémon now because reasons when it's her explicit motivation to become able to protect herself and her family so sticking with the Pokémon she already knows for a long time and is familiar with should really be the smarter choice.

Visually the game looks nice so far. Gen IV graphics produce pretty clean environments and it works well for Route 1 and Goldsong Village's coast. The custom NPC sprites blend in well and the one we get to see in battle so far looks quite good. The protgaonist's various sprites unfortunately all look rather plain and uninteresting, particularly the male ones.

There are no major battles in this demo, but the random trainers on Route 1 are unfortunately rather ill-balanced in my opinion. There levels are a little too high for how little exp you can get until that point without grinding wild encounters and they use quite a number of Pokémon species that are just too strong for that point in the game. The second trainer you can find on Route 1 has a Durant, a Pokémon with three base stats higher than 100 at a point where players are lucky to have more than two Pokémon above Level 5 without grinding them out. Other standout Pokémon found on Route 1 include a Sudowoodo with Stone Edge, a Minimize spamming Litwick that's also surprisingly tanky, a Draining Kiss spamming Comfey that's annoyingly tanky, a Wigglytuff with Hyper Voice, a Snubbul with Elemental Fangs for coverage and potentially an ability that sharply raises its Speed, a Sneasel and a Dunsparce that will Rollout you into oblivion if you don't get rid of it quickly. With a lot of annoyingly strong enemies running around much of the gameplay is spend progressing a few stept forward and then immediately turning back around to the Nurse at the entrance to the Route because your team is on its last leg after just one, maybe two trainer battles. Many of the trainers also already carry three or four Pokémon with them with can make breaking through some of those annoyingly strong ones even more of an issue.

Another contributing factor is that the early game seems rather heavily skewed in favor of Fire Type Starters and pretty heavily screwing over the other two Types. With Route 2 being set in a forest some Type bias is expected but it becomes kind of an issue when the trainers get in on it as well. The Field boosts Grass moves but many of the enemies resist it so if your Starter is a Grass Type your strongest team member's offense just got screwed while Water Starters need to be wary of enemies' powered up Grass moves. Fire Types meanwhile get to burn through the plentiful Bugs you have to fight on this route while being threatened by relatively few enemies.

All that is exacerbated by battles being locked to "Set" mode. I get that it's a game design choice to make battles more challenging by removing a player-only advantage but it really never improves anything when it's forced on everyone. The vast majority of the time all it does is make random trainers more time-consuming to beat than they should be and training up new team members harder than it needs to be. Even if you feel like Set mode is somehow an absolutely vital component for the game to be fun and challenging I feel it would be a much better idea to restrict them to fights where it actually matters instead of also extending it to those trainers that should mainly exist to feed us exp on our way between the important bits of the game. Also options really don't hurt anybody.

Random bit about music: I ran itno an Aroma Lady using Hopes and Dreams from Undertale for her battle music and then a few stept further an Dancer who used a track ripped straight from I think the Gen II games. Talk about whiplash. Also personal opinion but I feel like you shouldn't use climactic final boss music on random route trainers because it dulls the impact of whatever track you'll be using for the battles that are actually supposed to feel climactic. Particularly if it's music from other games the emotional connection players may have with it is going to make it hard for other tracks to compete against that.

Lastly two bugs I encountered: during the battle at the big honey tree the enemy's Lv 6 Combee had an invisible sprite

Secondly both Fury Swipes and Fury Attack don't work and throw out an error related to the Battlebond Ability for some unfathomable reason:

image.png.17853aa3d905d17ee58e9109fee35677.png

Clicking on OK results in the Pokémon's turn being skipped

Thanks for trying out the demo, and your feedback is appreciated! Since there is so little content so far, I am very willing to change a bunch of things around, and some of these things you talked about I already fixed or have plans to fix for the next release. I acknowledge that there are quite a few critical errors in the demo, and I plan to fix as many of these as possible and refrain from doing them again in the future.

One major thing I actually kind of completely redid was Aria's character as of this stage in the demo, which I think solves some of these issues about the plot so far that you're talking about. Instead of being suddenly motivated to go on an adventure, I'm changing it so she is actually reluctant, and only agrees to get a new Pokémon because Hera encourages her to do so. She also only plans on bringing the Pokémon with her to Darkleaf Town and intends to return it to the professor afterwards. While I agree that her relation to the anime doesn't add too much to her as a character, I don't intend to go too deep into her anime self (which was only created to characterize Serena anyway, so there's not too much interesting stuff to into here anyway). This is mainly just a small quirk about her character, and I plan to take her in a different direction for the story of Pokémon Vengeance.

I was actually worried that the custom NPC sprites weren't very good, so I'm glad you like them. As for the player character sprites, I plan to add in character customization eventually (which is why they all have the same poses), so the sprites aren't supposed to be very interesting yet. The reason I didn't include this in the list of features is that I'm still not 100% sure that I'm going to include it, but if I don't, I'll definitely redo the main character sprites to look more interesting.

As for the difficulties of the battles and preference towards fire starters, I already have plans to fix those, so don't worry about these being problems in the future. I really don't know what I was thinking with some of the trainers, so I apologize for the frustration here.

The main reason I wanted to make the battles in set mode was so that double battles weren't objectively more difficult than single battles (because doubles are in set even if you have that off). I think you have a good point that this is only necessary for major battles, so I think I'll implement that for the next release.

I have heard mixed things about the music so far. Some people like it, and some think it's too intense, so I'll probably tone some of them down a bit. I personally find that more intense music just makes battles more interesting, and I'm not really a fan of dull trainer battle themes because these are the ones you hear the most, but I'll still keep the variation in trainer battle music so at least they aren't both repetitive and dull.

As for the problem with multi-hit moves, that's really strange that you're getting this error because I definitely fixed that a while ago and I see that it's fixed in my most recent scripts, but I see that the demo has this problem still. I guess I had an outdated scripts file in the demo somehow, so I apologize for that.

The problem with Combee, on the other hand, seems to be very inconsistent and I couldn't figure out what is causing it, but it seems to only affect Pokémon with shadows underneath them and it goes away once you hit them. Maybe I'll just get rid of the shadows under airborne sprites so this won't be a problem anymore because it seems very difficult to trace.

1 hour ago, Angelkitsune said:

why are some of the pokemon's abilities are weird, like my torchic got cute charm and a swablue with water absorb. Also try adding some persona 5 music :3c

Yeah I made each Pokemon have 4 total abilities (2 regular and 2 hidden). I've already planned to make this a bit more clear in the next release because it wasn't really mentioned anywhere and I didn't really say anything about it in this post. Music is also going to be revised in the next release. Thanks for trying out the game, it means a lot!

• 1 month later...
On 10/10/2020 at 10:38 AM, Elios said:

This is awesome! Do you have a discord server or something like that where you post more updates or just the thread for now?

Thanks! I plan to create a discord server for the community once version 1 is released, but for now it's mainly just the thread.

But since I haven't really posted much of the progress we've made since the demo yet (besides Aria's redesign and the new map segments), how about the map for the second section of Route 1? This is where the foliage starts to transition from the golden leaves in the Goldsong area to the dark leaves in the Darkleaf area. It also maybe even fits an early Halloween theme (though this is completely a coincidence).

Capture.PNG

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DevilWaffer2020 said:

Is there a list of all the new starter abilities and which ones get them? Also do any of the starters have new megas?

As for new abilities, I can do you one better. Here's a spreadsheet with all the abilities planned to be given to Pokemon. Abilities highlighted in yellow are new for the Pokemon and these are subject to change, so don't expect them to be final, though I think the starter abilities won't change too much. Also keep in mind that hidden abilities are not available by default.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DeDkxbOA3MkoueWPXUIXWfgPMUFXRiL67uK32Ods7mc/edit#gid=0

I'm going to keep it a surprise which starters will receive new megas, but some are definitely planned to!

3 hours ago, silverlime said:

As for new abilities, I can do you one better. Here's a spreadsheet with all the abilities planned to be given to Pokemon. Abilities highlighted in yellow are new for the Pokemon and these are subject to change, so don't expect them to be final, though I think the starter abilities won't change too much. Also keep in mind that hidden abilities are not available by default.

I'm going to keep it a surprise which starters will receive new megas, but some are definitely planned to!

Ok thanks and one more question. Will there be wild starters like Rejuvenation? If not that's fine I just like using rotation teams and I rotate through starters as well.

3 hours ago, silverlime said:

umm also where is the spreadsheet

1 hour ago, DevilWaffer2020 said:

Ok thanks and one more question. Will there be wild starters like Rejuvenation? If not that's fine I just like using rotation teams and I rotate through starters as well.

Yes, all starters will eventually be available as event encounters, and we plan to make them all available starting at the same point in the game so that you aren't punished for not choosing certain starters.

1 hour ago, DevilWaffer2020 said:

umm also where is the spreadsheet

Oof um I may or may not have forgotten to put the link before lol, but it's there now.

Let's pretend that never happened

8 minutes ago, silverlime said:

Yes, all starters will eventually be available as event encounters, and we plan to make them all available starting at the same point in the game so that you aren't punished for not choosing certain starters.

Oof um I may or may not have forgotten to put the link before lol, but it's there now.

Let's pretend that never happened

Thanks can't wait for it to be finished!

• Like 1

just played thru the demo with scorbunny as my starter due to him being my favorite of the 3 from sword/shield (if the gen 8 starters werent a thing i likely woulda went torchic or chimchar) and aside from the first rival battle being rather 1-sided (not much a scorbunny with just tackle can do against a popplio that has water gun -_-) i had a bit of fun with it

as for the table that has all the new abilities and such for mons do you think you could also provide documentation as to what these abilities do as many of them seem to be custom

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ArcBolt27 said:

just played thru the demo with scorbunny as my starter due to him being my favorite of the 3 from sword/shield (if the gen 8 starters werent a thing i likely woulda went torchic or chimchar) and aside from the first rival battle being rather 1-sided (not much a scorbunny with just tackle can do against a popplio that has water gun -_-) i had a bit of fun with it

as for the table that has all the new abilities and such for mons do you think you could also provide documentation as to what these abilities do as many of them seem to be custom

Thanks for trying it out! Here's a document with all the new moves and abilities so far: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1l2pZe5Tn7Lv3hOGtg4gdRDj3UlYrzeaDOzBmFJXuQyY/edit

so something i was curious about is in the move/ability documentation it mentions electrode gets a new ability combustion which causes it to auto-use explosion upon taking a fatal hit................. but what has me curious is how that will work if you have electrode use explosion naturally, would that trigger combustion as explosion is effectively speaking a self induced fatal hit or are there plans to prevent something like that

7 hours ago, ArcBolt27 said:

so something i was curious about is in the move/ability documentation it mentions electrode gets a new ability combustion which causes it to auto-use explosion upon taking a fatal hit................. but what has me curious is how that will work if you have electrode use explosion naturally, would that trigger combustion as explosion is effectively speaking a self induced fatal hit or are there plans to prevent something like that

I'll let that speak for itself (also note that the HP bar only takes this long to go down because I have a bunch of programs running, and I apologize for the poor quality)

Must say, I am pretty impressed with this game so far. I have not gotten far but the story and unique characters are really good. It is quite buggy however right now so I may wait for some updated versions to continue, specifically the game script took to long to load and the game had to restart 3 times during the opening breaking news scene and for some reason every time I battle the sage on route 1 the game always crashes and he never sends out his second pokemon and I am forced to close the game. But some issues are to be expected in a demo so I really hope that you continue to work on this game cause we sure could use more fan games like reborn and rejuv and this seems very promising. 

12 hours ago, darkwaters33 said:

Must say, I am pretty impressed with this game so far. I have not gotten far but the story and unique characters are really good. It is quite buggy however right now so I may wait for some updated versions to continue, specifically the game script took to long to load and the game had to restart 3 times during the opening breaking news scene and for some reason every time I battle the sage on route 1 the game always crashes and he never sends out his second pokemon and I am forced to close the game. But some issues are to be expected in a demo so I really hope that you continue to work on this game cause we sure could use more fan games like reborn and rejuv and this seems very promising. 

That's strange, I haven't heard of either of these problems yet. On which part of the opening scene does it say the script was taking too long? I'm not sure how I would be able to fix this problem if I can't replicate it, but I'll look into it nonetheless. For the sage, did you get an error message before the game crashed? This would help me figure out what the problem was. Anyway, sorry for all these issues, but I'm glad you still somewhat enjoyed it.

On 10/26/2020 at 12:00 PM, silverlime said:

That's strange, I haven't heard of either of these problems yet. On which part of the opening scene does it say the script was taking too long? I'm not sure how I would be able to fix this problem if I can't replicate it, but I'll look into it nonetheless. For the sage, did you get an error message before the game crashed? This would help me figure out what the problem was. Anyway, sorry for all these issues, but I'm glad you still somewhat enjoyed it.

So the script took to long at the part when the news reporter showed up on screen and and for the sage what happens is ill beat the first pokemon he sends out and then i get an error message. After i close the error message, he just never sends out a second pokemon. I can choose moves for my pokemon to use but it just says there is no target 

48 minutes ago, darkwaters33 said:

So the script took to long at the part when the news reporter showed up on screen and and for the sage what happens is ill beat the first pokemon he sends out and then i get an error message. After i close the error message, he just never sends out a second pokemon. I can choose moves for my pokemon to use but it just says there is no target 

Ok, thank you. Do you happen to have the actual error message though? It should be in errorlog.txt (save file folder), and this would tell me exactly where the problem is in the code.

• 1 month later...

I'm back with a small progress update.

Here's our Mega Arcanine sprite (made by Vlamingo):

Vlamingo_01a.png

And Aria's back sprite (made by Ny):

trback.png

A major part of v1 will be the completely revamped field effect interactions, and you can see this with the current length of the Field Effect Manual compared to how it started out when fields were first ported from Rejuvenation (I hope nobody dislikes the concept of field effects):

Spoiler

Vengeance:

Capture.PNG

Rejuvenation:

Capture1.PNG

It has already about doubled in size, but once we add the interactions with all the gen 8 abilities and the 100+ custom abilities from Vengeance, it will grow even more (not to mention that we still have the moves to do, as well as possibly even a few item interactions)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sorry, it has been a while since I last posted here, but hopefully you will enjoy this progress update.

Hera sprite comparison (already posted in discord, but I didn't put it here yet)
Old:
Hera.png
New:
Capture.PNG
She looked like an old lady in the original one, which was unintended, so this one portrays her as closer to her desired age (also looks a bit better if I do say so myself).

Small sprite adjustment for Skyler

Old:

trainer170.png

New:

trainer170.png

Since the Pokemon World Tournament will be a significant part of the game, trainers from other regions will also need VS sprites, so here are a few we've made so far. Look out for these trainers, as they will appear in v1!

Cheryl:
vsTrainer209.png
Mira:
vsTrainer206.png
Hop:
vsTrainer207.png

The next update will probably contain the completely revamped Field Effect Manual which will hopefully be pretty interesting.

Here's a sample from the revamped Chess Board Field in case you didn't see it in the discord (note that this is a bit outdated though, so see changes below):

For the changes we've made to the Chess Board after posting this video, note that we moved the quad ability feature to the Holy Field instead. With the other things we added to the Chess Board, it was already getting very crowded with effects, so it doesn't really need this aspect. However, we also made it so chess attacks will shift the background as if at the end of the round upon use, which could create some interesting strategies.

But anyway, here's the Field Effect page for this field now that it's mostly complete:

Spoiler

#-------------------------------- 5. Chess Board [CHB] --------------------------------#
"An army of chess pieces lines each side of the field."
:::TYPE MODIFIERS:::
*    On White turns, Normal moves become Chess Attacks and deal x1.3 damage, but Dark moves deal x0.5 damage
*    On Black turns, Dark moves become Chess Attacks and deal x1.3 damage, but Normal moves deal x0.5 damage
*    Chess Attacks gain additional Rock-type
:::ABILITY MODIFIERS:::
*    The following abilities additionally raise Speed upon entry:
        Battle Armor        Own Tempo
*    Oblivious additionally lowers Speed at the end of each turn
*    Pokemon with Levitate additonally have their Speed doubled
*    Pokemon with Trace instead have a 50% chance of using damaging moves that target the Pokemon against the attacker
*    Inner Focus additionally prevents stat reduction and ignores opponent's stat increases
*    Pressure's effect is doubled
*    Pokemon with Run Away have their Attack reduced but Speed increased upon entry
*    Pokemon with Keen Eye have an increased Critical hit rate
*    Hustle additionally applies to Special moves, but Accuracy is instead always x0.7
*    The following abilities additionally increase opposing Pokemon's PP usage by 1:
        Arena Trap        Unnerve
*    Steadfast additionally boosts Speed whenever the Pokemon is damaged by a move
*    Rivalry is activated regardless of gender
*    Skill Link additionally copies the effect of the chess piece from last turn for the Pokemon
*    No Guard additionally decreases Defense and Sp. Def upon entry
*    Stall additionally raises Defense and Sp. Def upon entry, and heals for 1/16 max HP at the end of each turn
*    The following abilities are disabled:
        Super Luck
*    The following abilities additionally decrease Accuracy upon entry:
        Scrappy            Reckless        Confidence        Gorilla Tactics
*    Contrary additionally switches the background color upon entry
*    Defiant additionally increases Attack and shifts the background's color upon entry
*    Weak Armor additionally decreases Defense upon entry
*    Infiltrator additionally gives the Pokemon the opposite color type boost when attacking (but doesn't make the move a Chess Attack)
*    Justified additionally raises Attack when using moves that gain the field's color boost, but lowers Attack when using moves that suffer from the field's color drop
*    The following abilities additionally boost Sp. Atk upon entry:
        Competitive        Neuroforce
*    Magician has a 50% chance of shifting the background the same as it would be shifted at the end of the round when using damaging moves
*    Stance Change instead has the following effects:
        The Pokemon no longer changes form based on which attacks are used
        All prior stat changes are removed upon each background shift
        When the background shifts to the Pawn piece, boosts Speed 2 stages and changes to Shield Forme
        When the background shifts to the King piece, boosts Sp. Def 2 stages and changes to Shield Forme
        When the background shifts to the Queen piece, boosts Sp. Atk 2 stages and changes to Blade Forme
        When the background shifts to the Knight piece, boosts Evasion 2 stages and changes to Blade Forme
        When the background shifts to the Bishop piece, boosts Accuracy 2 stages and changes to Blade Forme
        When the background shifts to the Rook piece, boosts Defense 2 stages and changes to Shield Forme
*    The following abilities additionally decrease Accuracy upon activation:
        Berserk            Anger Point        Compulsion        Frantic
*    Chess Attacks deal x2 damage to Pokemon with the following abilities:
        Oblivious        Simple            Unaware            Klutz            Comatose
*    The following abilities additionally lower the Accuracy of all opposing Pokemon upon entry:
        Dancer            Quip
*    Disguise additionally boosts Evasion upon entry
*    Queenly Majesty additionally switches the field piece to Queen upon entry and makes the Pokemon always move first in the priority bracket
*    The following abilities additionally boost Attack upon entry:
        Stakeout        Overlord
*    Stamina instead boosts Sp. Atk and Sp. Def upon activation
*    Wimp Out additionally activates whenever the Pokemon is damaged by an attack
*    Pokemon with Thrust additionally deal x1.5 damage when it's the Knight's turn
*    Tactics instead boosts the power of affected moves x1.5, and gives the Pokemon perfect Accuracy
*    Cautious additionally boosts Defense but lowers Attack upon entry
*    Sneak Attack additionally allows Chess Attacks to Flinch the opponent even with a Crit rate higher than 2
*    Similarity instead boosts a random stat for each ally on the field, including itself
*    Magic Bounce additionally shifts the background color upon activation
*    The following abilities are activated at all times:
        Bodyguard        Shackle
*    Quick Draw's activation chance is set to 100%
*    Reconstruct additionally heals 1/5 max HP upon activation
*    Chess Attacks deal x0.5 damage to Pokemon with the following abilities:
        Adaptability        Synchronize        Anticipation        Telepathy        Attentive
:::MOVE MODIFIERS:::
*    These moves become Chess Attacks, gaining a x1.5 increase in power and gain additional Rock-type:
        Psychic            Strength        Ancient Power        Pursuit            Last Resort
        Force Palm        Royal Blades        Bulldoze        Accelerock        False Surrender
        Poltergeist
*    Chess Attacks deal x2 damage to Pokemon suffering from Confusion or Infatuation (This does not stack with ability damage increase)
*    These moves have their stat-changing effects amplified by 1 stage:
        Calm Mind        Nasty Plot        Leer            No Retreat
*    Trick Room lasts for 8 turns
*    These moves increase in base power x1.5:
        Fake Out        Feint            Feint Attack        Dig            Quick Attack
        Rock Smash        Brick Break        Meteor Mash        Astonish        Shadow Sneak
        Rock Wrecker        Smart Strike        Crush Grip
*    Nature Power becomes Court Change
*    Camouflage changes the user's type to Psychic
*    Secret Power may lower Defense
*    Magic Coat additionally shifts the background upon use
*    The damage of the following moves is boosted x1.25:
        Counter            Bide
*    Confusion's additional effect activation chance is increased to 100%
*    Double Team additionally boosts Attack and Sp. Atk upon use
*    Focus Energy additionally sharply boosts Accuracy upon use
*    Moves copied by Mirror Move have perfect Accuracy
*    Amnesia instead harshly lowers Sp. Def upon use
*    Substitute instead gives the replacement 1/3 max HP (but still reduces 1/4 max HP)
*    The following moves additionally make the target's next move miss if it targets the user:
        Mind Reader        Future Sight
*    Detect additionally boosts Accuracy upon use
*    The base Accuracy of the following moves is decreased to 80:
        Outrage            Frustration        Dragon Rage        Rage            Lash Out
*    Psych Up only copies the target's stat changes that are higher than the user's
*    The following moves instead target both opposing Pokemon:
        Torment            Taunt
*    The following moves additionally shift the background color upon use:
        Reversal        Trick            Switcheroo        Skill Swap        Power Trick
        Guard Swap        Heart Swap        Trick Room        Ally Switch        Speed Swap
        Court Change        Flip Turn
*    Use of the following moves make the next successful move a sure hit against the target:
        Rock Tomb        Sand Tomb        Embargo            Attack Order        V-Create
        Thunder Cage
*    Iron Defense additionally sharply raises the Defense of the user's partner
*    Block additionally sharply raises the user's Defense
*    Focus Blast's base Accuracy is increased to 100
*    Defend Order additionally raises the Defense and Sp. Def of the user's partner
*    King's Shield additionally blocks all status moves on King turns
*    Obstruct additionally blocks all status moves
*    Poltergeist works even when the target doesn't have an item
*    The stat-decreasing effect of Royal Blades is nullified
:::ITEM MODIFIERS:::
*       Synthetic Seed lowers Sp. Def and applies Obstruct to the holder
:::FIELD TRANSFORMATION:::
*    The following moves terminate this field:
        Stomping Tantrum    Tectonic Rage
:::OTHER EFFECTS:::
*    At the end of each round, the background shifts, indicating a type of chess piece (chosen randomly) and a color (alternates each round) for the next round
*    Chess Attacks shift the background the same as it would be shifted at the end of the round
*    On Pawn rounds, no special effect takes place
*    On Bishop rounds (which only can occur in doubles), moves hitting the position diagonal from the user increase in power x1.5
*    On Bishop rounds (which only can occur in doubles), moves hitting the position across from the user decrease in power x0.5
*    On Rook rounds (which only can occur in doubles), moves hitting the position across from the user increase in power x1.5
*    On Rook rounds (which only can occur in doubles), moves hitting the position diagonal from the user decrease in power x0.5
*    On Knight rounds, the priority bracket is inverted (goes back to normal temporarily if Trick Room is in effect)
*    On King rounds, x1.5 to the Defense and Sp. Def of all Pokemon
*    On Queen rounds in double battles, type effectiveness is inverted
*    On Queen rounds in single battles, x1.5 to the Attack and Sp. Atk of all Pokemon

• Like 1