Reborn VS Rejuvenation ( Opinions and thoughts )

RosaHeart

Hey so I'm sure this topic has been done many times but I recently got finished playing the most recent version of Reborn ( which is actually my first playthrough ) and I can say that I both enjoyed but also was a little tired with it. So here is my thoguths on Reborn based off it's own story, seperate from Reju. first.

Reborn's story was fun, exciting, and serious. Frankly it does a lot right in my eyes as far as story telling goes as the bag guys supposed motives are blivable enough and how they are responsable for certain things that happened in game that actually caught me off guard and I thought that was really cool. And the fact that things get serious rather quickly is nice to because it let's you know right away the kind of game your in for. The Shinies are amazing, and many of the characters are comelling in their motivations and for what they do. That being said...

This game is far from perfect and I have quite a list of grievencess with it. My biggest and most pained part of it was the sheer amount of backtracking that is required in it. Don't get me wrong, I understand that many games use this to pad the game out and such but most of the time the game will give you and easier way to get back and forth once you've done it once. Now I don't know if I'm in the minority hear but it seemed to me that wasn't the case. Sure, you never had to resolve puzzles but even with them solved it was still a long treck back and forth, multiple times mind you.  Another thing is there is a bit of a lack of direction when your supposed to do something a lot of times and more of ten then not I found myself having to look up were to go or how to do a thing. And I feel like this could have been solved by having the NPC's that are usually going with you to stop a little ways ahead and have them wait for you yo catch up rather then instantly poofing them to the end. Finally, and this one is the smallest only because I know that this is a premade story from a pokemon game or league the creator once played before so they need to make sure the story flows acertain way. But still, the illusion of choice happens way to much for my liking. I get that all choices still have some minor effect on the hidden realtionship numbers but it still urks me a lot. Many times someone tells you to give them a thing or asks you a question about something and whatever your answer is doesn't really change the outcome. 

But anyways, onto the topic of this thread.

To all the points above, Rejuvenation falls into the same posatives and for me not so much the same negatives. Sure, there is backtracking in Rejuvenation but not nearly as much and I don't feal there are many illusion of choice moments in this game. It does a little better job in guiding the player to on were to go in their objetive but I have also had to look stuff up time from time. But all in all, I would say I did enjoy my expirence in Rejuvenation more then I did Reborn. Do not get me wrong, I think Reborn was good to, and I would GLADLY play Reborn over any of the mainline pokemon games these days cause I'm an adult now, so I'm no longer as easily settled with the cartoony villians we get in the main games. ( Sun and moon excluded cause dang Lusamien was crazy! lol ) But that does bring up one point in Reborn's favor if you ask me over Rejuvenation, and that is the villian motives. I get that leaving the villian's motives kind of secret later on can be a story telling choice but framkly when you look at the two teams  side by side, Reborn's villians goals seem more apparent and humanizes them a little more, Honestly I had a hard time really pegging the villians in Rejuvenation and even still after having full played through twice, both in the early days and the latests version, I still don't fully understand what it is they are trying to achieve entirely. As such, I've never rally been able to connect to any of the main baddies that you face over and over. But in the end I still enjoyed the expirence so, meh I can let it slide for now lol.

When you look at both Reborn and Rejuvenation side by side they both have a lot of the same things going.

Darker gritty story

Great characters ( Icluding friend characters you really grow attached to. ❤️ shelly -Reborn- ❤️ Melia -Rejuvination- )

Options, and lots of em! So many pokemon...

Vibrant and original worlds that are awesome to explore.

A challenging difficulty ( Though Rejuvenation's feels a bit more fair )

Gym Leaders and Elite four members that actually do something! -GASP!-

Super Mega Awesome Shinies! ( with increased shiny rate to boot! )

So yeah. Two games that are very similar yet vastly different in so many ways. Like I said before I love both games, so please don't think I'm hating on either one. These are just my thoughts. What do you guys think? Did you enjoy Reborn more? Rejuvenation? Am Who are your faveorite characters? Lemme know peeps!

Story Reborn<Rejuvenation 

-its really hard to toll at this point since both stories are still in progress especially rejuvenation. They are close but I choose rejuvnarion because I liked the time travel stuff and rejuvenation story is far larger than reborn

Challenge Reborn>Rejuvenation.

- I know rejuvenation intense is much more difficult. But reborn has much more battles that got me stuck than rejuvenation. 

-In rejuvenation the  battles that are really difficult were ( valor mountain, rift gardevoir and Aelita, and maybe crawli and angie) In reborn there were more IMO like charlotte, Shelly, shade, glass factory, arceus taka and zel double battle, solar is and more. In reborn I feel like they really use the field sa an advantages more than rejuv.

-it is also more difficult to train EV and exp In reborn (also getting heart scale) 

Rivals Reborn > Rejuvenation 

- All fern, Victoria and Cain have all different personalities fern being a cocky annoying Rival, Victoria being a more mature and caring, and Cain brings a lighter atmosphere. You battle them from time to time which I think it makes them unforgettable.

-As for Ren In Rejuvenation, you really dont see him until very late after the wetlands and I honestly forgot about him. 

But what I like In Ren is his character development and compare to the rivals In Reborn he actually contributes unlike Cain and maybe Victoria who gets captured most OF the time

Team Meteor>Team Xen

-i think team meteor is more intimidating than team Xen. Whenever people like Sirius, Solaris or Lin shows up, it feels like characters are going to get killed. I just dont feel that way when Madelis Geara, or MadameX shows up

- In Rejuv there are still other more antagonist remaining such as freya and Kieran, Isha, Cassandra  etc so I dont know How much more they can contribute to the story but as now I prefer reborn

Arceus Fanatic  El<Angie/Indriad

i think El is more sane when it comes to arceus but I just love the dark atmosphere during Angie arc. Compare to El Angie is just batshit insane lol

Sidequests Reborn<Rejuvenation

i think rejuv have more and bigger sidequests than reborn. Sidequests have their own stories that later contibutes to the main story such as Karen and the siblings. It also has their own villain team anti assist which  probably have a major role to fulfill later In the game. 

-In reborn there are not much sidequests that contributed other than the 5 policy officers

Characters contribution Reborn < Rejuvenation

-i think this is where rejuvenation tops reborn. Your group In Reborn are kind of useless ( Cain, Noel, Anna, Charlotte Laura I think only Shelly contributes a little) despite having 4 gym leaders and 2 elite 4 members they get captured all time. ( on the good note, titania and Amaria were good companions at one point 

- In rejuvenation, Despite Val, Saki and adam(later contributes) were pretty useless, at lease you have aelita, melia Erin, and Ren that are useful.

overall

-Both games are extremely good and i would prefer there 2 over main games and other fangames. I slightly prefer Rejuvenation over Reborn because of the characters and the story. I cant wait to get play their endings and I would like to play both games again to change some of my choices. In the end of the day this is just my opinion. I may have missed some points so pls tell me if there were any

Edited by ShadowAgent
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ShadowAgent said:

Story Reborn<Rejuvenation 

-its really hard to toll at this point since both stories are still in progress especially rejuvenation. They are close but I choose rejuvnarion because I liked the time travel stuff and rejuvenation story is far larger than reborn

Challenge Reborn>Rejuvenation.

- I know rejuvenation intense is much more difficult. But reborn has much more battles that got me stuck than rejuvenation. 

-In rejuvenation the  battles that are really difficult were ( valor mountain, rift gardevoir and Aelita, and maybe crawli and angie) In reborn there were more IMO like charlotte, Shelly, shade, glass factory, arceus taka and zel double battle, solar is and more. In reborn I feel like they really use the field sa an advantages more than rejuv.

-it is also more difficult to train EV and exp In reborn (also getting heart scale) 

Rivals Reborn > Rejuvenation 

- All fern, Victoria and Cain have all different personalities fern being a cocky annoying Rival, Victoria being a more mature and caring, and Cain brings a lighter atmosphere. You battle them from time to time which I think it makes them unforgettable.

-As for Ren In Rejuvenation, you really dont see him until very late after the wetlands and I honestly forgot about him. 

But what I like In Ren is his character development and compare to the rivals In Reborn he actually contributes unlike Cain and maybe Victoria who gets captured most OF the time

Team Meteor>Team Xen

-i think team meteor is more intimidating than team Xen. Whenever people like Sirius, Solaris or Lin shows up, it feels like characters are going to get killed. I just dont feel that way when Madelis Geara, or MadameX shows up

- In Rejuv there are still other more antagonist remaining such as , freya and Kieran, Isha, Cassandra  etc so I dont know How much more they can contribute to the story but as now I prefer reborn

Arceus Fanatic  El<Angie/Indriad

i think El is more sane when it comes to arceus but I just love the dark atmosphere during Angie arc. Compare to El Angie is just batshit insane lol

Sidequests Reborn<Rejuvenation

i think rejuv have more and bigger sidequests than reborn. Sidequests have their own stories that later contibutes to the main story such as Karen and the siblings. It also has their own villain team anti assist which  probably have a major role to fulfill later In the game. 

-In reborn there are not much sidequests that contributed other than the 5 policy officers

Characters contribution Reborn < Rejuvenation

-i think this is where rejuvenation tops reborn. Your group In Reborn are kina of useless ( Cain, Noel, Anna, Charlotte Laura I think only Shelly contributes a little) despite having 4 gym leaders and 2 elite 4 members they get captured all time. ( on the good note, titania and Amaria were good companions at one point 

- In rejuvenation, Despite Val, Saki and adam(later contributes) were pretty useless, at lease you have aelita, melia Erin, and Ren that are useful.

overall

-Both famed are extremely good and i would prefer there 2 over main games and other fangames. I slightly prefer Rejuvenation over Reborn because of the characters and the story. I cant wait to get play their endings and I would like to play both games again to change some of my choices. In the end of the day this is just my opinion. I may have missed some points so pls tell me if there were any

Thank you for your in depth reply. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who has tried to look at these two side by side. I mean, I'm sure there a plenty more considering both games are on the same sight lol.

I really really like both games very much, but if i had to choose one i would pick rejuvenation.

I had 2 major problems with reborn, that made me ragequit the game 2 times before finally finishing it. 

One was the lack of possibilitys to train up new teammembers and bec of that i just couldnt beat the fighting leader and the other thing were those completely annoying puzzles from time to time (crustle puzzle, heracross and pinsir puzzle for example).

Rejuvenation makes both things much more playerfriendly, no annoying puzzles (except maybe the garufan ruins thing, but thats really the only one i can think of) and with the audino trainers and the ev center  training up new members is really enjoyable.

I prefer the story and the characters from rejuv a little over the ones from reborn, but this could also be bec i already played through rejuv 2 times while i still didn't Finish reborn for the 1st time. 

So don't get me wrong i really like both games and i'm really glad that i continued playing reborn even if i was too annoyed 2 times so that i quit it, bec otherwise i definitly would have missed a really awesome game.

But all in all i would say that i enjoyed rejuvenation a little more bec of things named above

1 hour ago, Kikss said:

I really really like both games very much, but if i had to choose one i would pick rejuvenation.

I had 2 major problems with reborn, that made me ragequit the game 2 times before finally finishing it. 

One was the lack of possibilitys to train up new teammembers and bec of that i just couldnt beat the fighting leader and the other thing were those completely annoying puzzles from time to time (crustle puzzle, heracross and pinsir puzzle for example).

Rejuvenation makes both things much more playerfriendly, no annoying puzzles (except maybe the garufan ruins thing, but thats really the only one i can think of) and with the audino trainers and the ev center  training up new members is really enjoyable.

I prefer the story and the characters from rejuv a little over the ones from reborn, but this could also be bec i already played through rejuv 2 times while i still didn't Finish reborn for the 1st time. 

So don't get me wrong i really like both games and i'm really glad that i continued playing reborn even if i was too annoyed 2 times so that i quit it, bec otherwise i definitly would have missed a really awesome game.

But all in all i would say that i enjoyed rejuvenation a little more bec of things named above

I’m glad i’m not the only one who thinks the puzzles are as difficult as its battles. For me Amaria’s gym is the most difficult

9 hours ago, Kikss said:

Yeah the puzzles are a bit of a pain but it does break up the game play. ( But screw the floor puzzels in the hidehouts! >.< ) Anywho, if I could recommend, get the Sandbox mod for Reborn. It makes the expirence so much more fun in my opinion. It gives you more controle over how difficult you want your expirence to be as you can get nearly any item in the game you want as well as any pokemon ( Including legendaries and mythics. ) And as for the training new members, what I did was buy 99 rare candies and heald onto them for just such an occasion. Here is a link to said mod if you don't know it already. Don't worry it's on this site lol.

I prefer Rejuvenation mostly because of the environments.

I dunno, Reborn just felt, cramped, if that makes sense, compared to the more locations variety that rejuv has

Story wise i do think reborn comes out on top (though to be fair this is because it currently is on its second to last episode so the story has progressed farther the Rejuvenation's)

Also this is probably just a little pet peeve of mine, and I may be over exaggerating, but a lot good pokemon that aren't PU teir cannon fodder in reborn are locked behind a lot of events. Sure rejuv does it to but not to the extent that reborn does 

I prefer Reborn thanks to that game trying to stay within the confines of the main pokemon games lore, while Rejuvenation likes to do its own thing and also throw some elements from the different Pokemon continuities too much for my liking, like the Pokemon anime. Reborn also IMO has a stronger cast of characters and story, with a bit more freedom on your character's relationship with the NPCs thanks to the hidden relationship stat. However Rejuvenation does do some things better than Reborn, like the map design, sidequests, machines taking place of HMs and a better "push" to where you need to go.

• Upvote 1

I just finished a run of both Rejuvenation and Reborn. Personally, I like Reborn a bit more than Rejuvenation. The QOL of Sandbox is just so nice in Reborn. I don't have to breed for good IV's and the world feels a lot more large. I think Rejuvenation has a lot of aspects that are way better than Reborn, but it also has flaws that make me like Reborn a bit better.

One thing that kinda bothered me was the random things that happen in both games, such as a betrayal of a rival, a mysterious and omnipotent leader of the evil team, a troubled gym leader who works for the evil team committing suicide, hypnotizing the player into fighting their friends, and a few other things. It's not the biggest deal, since they played out in different ways, but it still felt a little meh while I was playing similar events at the same time.

Reborn's characters are kinda useless, in terms of both their roles as Gym Leaders, or as supporting characters. Everyone is constantly kidnapped or in danger, despite being Gym Leaders. Plus, almost none of them are where they are supposed to be, meaning it's literally impossible for anyone else to challenge the league. Rejuvenation answered the issue with the whole Amanda scene. Also, I really liked how Rejuvenation put us in the eyes of other characters so we can see their role in the story past what we see from our own eyes. It gives them an additional depth of character, and makes them feel a lot less useless. The character progression in Rejuvenation is insane. On the other hand, Reborn's characters are also kinda forgettable when playing the story. You lose Florina and Julia until like 10 gyms after challenging them. Radomus and Luna disappear for 7 gyms before we meet them again. Rejuvenation's characters are just always there to move the plot along. They seemed to grow along with us, while the characters in Reborn are very stagnant in terms of who they are.  Plus characters in Reborn are constantly lecturing us about their views of life, which is kinda annoying sometimes. They feel more like parents than friends. Nobody wants to know what we think, unlike in Rejuvenation.

I kinda don't like how we get our badges in GDC. Most of our badges are not from the actual leader, or are given after battles with the leader outside of an official match. The Normal, Electric, Ice, Psychic, Flying, Rock, and Ground type badges are all obtained in very odd manners. We know the leaders exist, like Talon and Lavender, but we are given their badge without fighting them. It just feels kinda forced for the

sake of level progression. Just stick to a normal badge instead of stuff like Adam being like "ha ill just randomly give you my badge" when he decides to talk to us, or Kriess being like "eh you saved me here is a badge lol". The progression in Reborn, as a result, feels a lot more natural than the story in Rejuvenation. It feels a lot more open ended at times. Route 1 is a great example. There isn't really any point in Rejuvenation where your group objective isn't making you go to a specific place and do something.

My BIGGEST issue with Rejuvenation is the backtracking in side quests. I love them. But holy hell, why do I have to travel to so many different islands. I can't even fly between them. I just have to go to the pier, go to a different island, fly to the destination, go back to the pier, then go to the next island. I literally procrastinated these quests because I really just do not want to go. It especially sucks if you forget to do something. Then you have to go all the way back to the previous island just to finish the quest. Reborn's sidequests aren't as annoying in my opinion. You can easily tackle them as you travel. But most of the side quests in the late game involve so much backtracking to other islands. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, H.P. Doom said:

My BIGGEST issue with Rejuvenation is the backtracking in side quests. I love them. But holy hell, why do I have to travel to so many different islands. I can't even fly between them. I just have to go to the pier, go to a different island, fly to the destination, go back to the pier, then go to the next island. I literally procrastinated these quests because I really just do not want to go. It especially sucks if you forget to do something. Then you have to go all the way back to the previous island just to finish the quest. Reborn's sidequests aren't as annoying in my opinion. You can easily tackle them as you travel. But most of the side quests in the late game involve so much backtracking to other islands. 

In the fly menu, you just have to press PgUp or PgDn to change islands. Wish the game told us this cuz i found this out by accident

5 hours ago, Crimson_Mc_Black said:

In the fly menu, you just have to press PgUp or PgDn to change islands. Wish the game told us this cuz i found this out by accident

bruh

what

omg whyyyyyyy

17 hours ago, H.P. Doom said:

I just finished a run of both Rejuvenation and Reborn. Personally, I like Reborn a bit more than Rejuvenation. The QOL of Sandbox is just so nice in Reborn. I don't have to breed for good IV's and the world feels a lot more large. I think Rejuvenation has a lot of aspects that are way better than Reborn, but it also has flaws that make me like Reborn a bit better.

One thing that kinda bothered me was the random things that happen in both games, such as a betrayal of a rival, a mysterious and omnipotent leader of the evil team, a troubled gym leader who works for the evil team committing suicide, hypnotizing the player into fighting their friends, and a few other things. It's not the biggest deal, since they played out in different ways, but it still felt a little meh while I was playing similar events at the same time.

Reborn's characters are kinda useless, in terms of both their roles as Gym Leaders, or as supporting characters. Everyone is constantly kidnapped or in danger, despite being Gym Leaders. Plus, almost none of them are where they are supposed to be, meaning it's literally impossible for anyone else to challenge the league. Rejuvenation answered the issue with the whole Amanda scene. Also, I really liked how Rejuvenation put us in the eyes of other characters so we can see their role in the story past what we see from our own eyes. It gives them an additional depth of character, and makes them feel a lot less useless. The character progression in Rejuvenation is insane. On the other hand, Reborn's characters are also kinda forgettable when playing the story. You lose Florina and Julia until like 10 gyms after challenging them. Radomus and Luna disappear for 7 gyms before we meet them again. Rejuvenation's characters are just always there to move the plot along. They seemed to grow along with us, while the characters in Reborn are very stagnant in terms of who they are.  Plus characters in Reborn are constantly lecturing us about their views of life, which is kinda annoying sometimes. They feel more like parents than friends. Nobody wants to know what we think, unlike in Rejuvenation.

I kinda don't like how we get our badges in GDC. Most of our badges are not from the actual leader, or are given after battles with the leader outside of an official match. The Normal, Electric, Ice, Psychic, Flying, Rock, and Ground type badges are all obtained in very odd manners. We know the leaders exist, like Talon and Lavender, but we are given their badge without fighting them. It just feels kinda forced for the

sake of level progression. Just stick to a normal badge instead of stuff like Adam being like "ha ill just randomly give you my badge" when he decides to talk to us, or Kriess being like "eh you saved me here is a badge lol". The progression in Reborn, as a result, feels a lot more natural than the story in Rejuvenation. It feels a lot more open ended at times. Route 1 is a great example. There isn't really any point in Rejuvenation where your group objective isn't making you go to a specific place and do something.

All valid points my friend. While I might not agree with some of them I respect your veiws on them. What I DO agree on is how it kind of is anoying that in Reborn, apparently only the player Character is truely capable of taking on the big baddies without risk of capture or death. Like for instance, when your

fighting to defend the house at the lake and yet SOME HOW, the supposed ELITE 4 member got beat by a psychotic doctor who likes to torture children. And her excuse was, "He attacked me not my pokemon." And I'm just like...so your pokemon were so weak they couldn't protect you from that?! 

And then to your point on the badegs. I do agree it kind stinks that you end up not actually being able to fight some of the leaders as I kind of wanted to. There are some instense I kind of get why getting the badge without an offical battel makes sense cause they see they you are clearly strong enough to be them but ah well.

Anyways, thanks for your in depth opinion and analysis. 🙂

• Thanks 1