[E19] Pokémon Reborn - Looping Battle Music Mod

TheTGU

Feedback  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Do you plan on using this mod?

• Yes
    • No, although I do play Pokémon Reborn
    • No, I don't play Pokémon Reborn
  2. 2. How well does the music loop? (Keep in mind only battle music is affected!)

• Seamlessly
    • Decently
    • Poorly
    • I don't plan on using this mod/ Can't judge
  3. 3. Which would you prefer?

• Smaller file sizes and slightly better looping, at the cost of losing some smaller differences on the second/ third loop of some tracks
    • Larger file sizes and slightly worse looping, with the benefit of keeping some smaller differences on the second/ third loop on some tracks
    • Neutral

Pokémon Reborn - Looping Battle Music Mod

Being the bored person that I am, after having played through the main portion of episode 19 and some of the post-game, I have decided to update my looping battle music mod for episode 19!

About

This mod, as the name implies, makes the battle music in Pokémon Reborn loop - and not in the same way it already does, starting from the start of the file, no, it makes it loop based on a set looping point. This essentially means that you should no longer notice the point at which the music reaches its end, however, due to some of the music used in Reborn not having a clear point where it is supposed to loop, transistions might still not be 100% smooth on all battle music but I tried my best to make it as seamless as possible.

Because of there no longer being any need for the music looping within the audio file, the combined file size of these files went down from ~120MB to ~80MB. This reduction could be even higher but I decided to keep additional loops on music files that have slight differences on their second or third loop whenever possible.

Since Reborn's engine already supports looping audio natively and all audio files are in the .ogg format now, this mod only contains audio files to replace the old ones.

Installation

In order to install the mod, you need to download and extract the .zip file into your Pokémon Reborn folder. Your computer should then ask if you want to replace files of the same name. Click on yes (for all) and the installation is done!

Compatibility & Bugs

This mod should be compatible with any other mods that do not change the audio files or substantially alter how the game's audio engine works (which should be no other mods!).

Regarding bugs, well, it is just music files so there should not be any.

Download

Edited by TheTGU
E19 Update
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Kunisada said:

May I have a question?
What is loop on music?

I assume you mean this as in "What does looping music mean?"? Basically, when the music reaches a specified point, it jumps back to another specified point so that it can keep on running forever without any rough transistions when the end of the audio file would be reached.

1 hour ago, andracass said:

:oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

i am very interested in this.

how did you make it?

Well, I first added the FmodEx extension (which is linked in the original post) to Reborn. The compatibility edits I mentioned were just type-casting the volume and pitch variables on the extension's script to integers (which is about as much as I am able to do with my non-existent Ruby knowledge).

Afterwards, I opened Reborn's music files in Audacity and searched for a point at which the music can loop properly (which is easily the step that took the most amount of time, especially on the music files that don't have a clear looping point), cut unneccessary parts beyond the end of the loop off, added metadata for "LOOPSTART" (sample number at which the loop starts) and "LOOPLENGTH" (amount of samples from the start of the loop to the end of the loop; and I am not sure if these tags actually need to be in all-caps) and exported them as a .ogg files (because while the extension is supposed to work with .mp3 files, it is a known bug that it doesn't really, it will still loop but there are odd hiccups on the looping point).

And the last step was to edit the trainertypes and metadata pbs files to actually use the .ogg files and compile them. The .mp3 files still need to be deleted because whenever music is controlled through an event on the map, it seems to happily accept an audio file of another extension with the same name if it can't find the one with the specified extension (which is both odd and great).

TL;DR I added the FmodEx script which looks for metadata "LOOPSTART" and "LOOPLENGTH" on audio files and made sure the game would use these audio files where I set that metadata.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• Veterans
9 minutes ago, TheTGU said:

TL;DR I added the FmodEx script which looks for metadata "LOOPSTART" and "LOOPLENGTH" on audio files and made sure the game would use these audio files where I set that metadata.

ok super

i had actually tried doing this before releasing 18.3 and it hella didn't work.

good to know an extra script was needed

9 hours ago, TheTGU said:

Basically, when the music reaches a specified point, it jumps back to another specified point so that it can keep on running forever without any rough transistions when the end of the audio file would be reached.

Ah, I see. I'd like to try, then.

I'll fill the vote later after trying.
Thank you so much.

• 1 year later...

Updated for E19 Community Open Beta. No longer requieres any script files or dlls.

Edit 04/30: Updated champion music to loop better.

Edit 04/30 #2: I just noticed I forgot the Nightclub battle theme... Will probably add it in a few hours.

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, Fayt_Bouleouve said:

Can this work with tracks you add to the files?  I personally doubt it, but it would be awesome if it did.

It can, however metadata for the loop points needs to be set in the file. This will most likely have to be done manually by you - it's also what I did for this mod.