If Xenpurgis becomes topical...

Magus543

So i've been guessing that Xenpurgis is some sort of virus, most likely either a mind-control one or a killer one. I guess the current crisis is going to make the next update feel more real? Imagine being stuck in our penthouse with Melia, Venam, Huey, Reina, Lavender, the three siblings, and Rhodea. Hope they have Ekans and Ladders to pass the time. 

But seriously, hope everyone here stays safe and healthy. Messed up times.

1 hour ago, Delta3416 said:

Isha is the real concern here. I think the kind of vaccines we received when entering the city may be relevant.

Yeah, and Melia got the golden one. That's going to be VERY relevant. That's sort of why i think it's a mind control virus, if they have Melia under their control then the stakes are raised, and such a virus would affect the Nightmare city, which would explain why the Puppet Master comes into play.

I mean, we could have avoided the vaccines, but Melia just had to tell the clerk we weren't vaccinated. That's going to backfire. 

1 hour ago, Magus543 said:

Yeah, and Melia got the golden one. That's going to be VERY relevant. That's sort of why i think it's a mind control virus, if they have Melia under their control then the stakes are raised, and such a virus would affect the Nightmare city, which would explain why the Puppet Master comes into play.

I mean, we could have avoided the vaccines, but Melia just had to tell the clerk we weren't vaccinated. That's going to backfire. 

I'm not gonna blame her for that, since no one except Isha and Cassandra would know anything about the vaccines. Anyway, it's good that Melia isn't anti-vax!

44 minutes ago, Tikkit said:

I'm not gonna blame her for that, since no one except Isha and Cassandra would know anything about the vaccines. Anyway, it's good that Melia isn't anti-vax!

Disclaimer: the following paragraph is just my being contrary for contrariness's sake. Vaccination is important IRL.

IIRC, vaccination remains effective when the unvaccinated population is small enough. Also, vaccines do not protect against existing conditions. So if Melia hadn't insisted, we wouldn't really have been able to transmit any pathogens -- and the chance of us catching something the rest of the population is immune to is very small. Thus there wouldn't have been any consequences. 

However, Melia is supposed to know better about authority at that point, isn't she? After Route 1 and Amethyst Cave, and all of Terajuma? A golden vaccine for an extremely rare kind of people, specifically for her? Shouldn't something have rung alarm bells? 

(I know it's easier to say in retrospect, and after playing Insurgence [select to see the hidden text], but still...)

Edited by Mindlack

I don't think it will be about brainwashing, because

Spoiler

the whole virus/vaccine/brainwashing thing was already used in Insurgence, I doubt Jan would use the same story as another popular fangame.

57 minutes ago, Edo said:

I don't think it will be about brainwashing, because

Reveal hidden contents

the whole virus/vaccine/brainwashing thing was already used in Insurgence, I doubt Jan would use the same story as another popular fangame.

Spoiler

I wouldn't be so sure about that- the overall plot of the game, including what the Xenpurgis is, was decided after V6, which released back in 2015. That part of Insurgence would debuted with most of the rest of the game when the Suzerain decided not to do things episodically anymore, which dropped a year later. Given that data, it seems doubtful that Insurgence would've had that degree of influence even if it did have a similar plot point by coincidence (it is a pretty common trope, after all).

On the other hand, Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon also released during that time frame, and Rejuvenation already has a pretty heavy amount of influence from that game (see: the turning people to stone thing, for example), so it is still theoretically possible. Though I doubt the Devs. would tell us if you are right...

As for my own thoughts on what the Xenpurgis Nacht is... I really haven't the foggiest. As a Madoka fan, my initial thought is certainly that it'll be a particularly massive and powerful Rift of some sort, one Team Xen can't control and is currently trying to keep held back, but this feels like it'd be something more than that given the context of everything else going on in the world. The Puppet Master's insistence that we should beware the thing is certainly suspect, since almost every other sign seems to point to the second Calamity will be something else entirely. Yeesh...

I didn’t think of a plot point similar to said game, involving some kind of brainwashing, but more something along the lines of: Random (ie out of the blue) mandatory vaccination after a domestic trip = suspicious.

Different types of vaccines for different people (without any test of any kind as far as we know) = very suspicious.

A golden vaccine for Melia and for virtually no one else = definitely abnormal, as Melia’s life is... unusual (if you don’t know about her time travelling) 

The city mayor is a Xen = very bad stuff waiting to happen.

2 hours ago, Autumn Zephyr said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I wouldn't be so sure about that- the overall plot of the game, including what the Xenpurgis is, was decided after V6, which released back in 2015. That part of Insurgence would debuted with most of the rest of the game when the Suzerain decided not to do things episodically anymore, which dropped a year later. Given that data, it seems doubtful that Insurgence would've had that degree of influence even if it did have a similar plot point by coincidence (it is a pretty common trope, after all).

On the other hand, Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon also released during that time frame, and Rejuvenation already has a pretty heavy amount of influence from that game (see: the turning people to stone thing, for example), so it is still theoretically possible. Though I doubt the Devs. would tell us if you are right...

As for my own thoughts on what the Xenpurgis Nacht is... I really haven't the foggiest. As a Madoka fan, my initial thought is certainly that it'll be a particularly massive and powerful Rift of some sort, one Team Xen can't control and is currently trying to keep held back, but this feels like it'd be something more than that given the context of everything else going on in the world. The Puppet Master's insistence that we should beware the thing is certainly suspect, since almost every other sign seems to point to the second Calamity will be something else entirely. Yeesh...

I thought the Xenpurgis Nacht would be a reference to the Walpurgis Nacht, the night of the witches' sabbath from folktales and times where witch hunts occured. It is also mentioned in literaure like 'Faust', where weird and evil looking beings are present. It sounds to me like Xenpurgis would be some terrifying plan from Team Xen, like the vaccines actually containing rift matter which will be activated during that night and transform lots of civilians, or encase the whole city in a gigantic Dimensional Rift.

But I got curious when you mentioned Madoka, since an anime reference kinda seems more likely. I haven't watched it, but reading about Walpurgisnacht from the anime really makes it sound like some frightfully strong Rift mon, which would explain why Flora was so scared that she would try to murder Cassandra, the one in control of the Xenpurgis.

Frankly, we simply don't know enough about it to tell if it's referencing the anime or the classical rites at this point. Most notably, we also don't know which Team Xen it's tied to- and if the red-haired Mysterious Figure is indeed Freya, then we have someone tied to the original version actively manipulating things here. For all we know, they could be the actual controllers for this issue and Flora was biting at the wrong tree the whole time. 😓

I had the same thought about the plot being too similar to Insurgence. But as you mention, the plot was decided in 2015 and Insurgence’s final version which featured the vaccines was released in 2017. 

I think it has something to do with GDC itself. 
As for the Puppet Master’s role in it, he told us to beware it. What does that mean with respect to him and Team Xen?

Interesting that you would mention Freya. Keeping with the Freya-is-Risa idea, at one point she refers to ‘Team Xen scum’. Likewise, Kieran says to Ren that he is ‘disgraceful’ for having joined Team Xen. So, those two must have personal motives for working with Madame X.

Honestly, as much as I want to know more about the surfboarders with Ultra Beasts and their connection to Team Xen, I'd rather know more about Cosmia and her brother. They have received the vaccine, and so will become victims of whatever insidious thing comes of those vaccines. Which is weird, since they have some connection to Madame X, considering the fact that in a sidequest Cosmia straight up teleports into some guy's house and kidnaps him before he can tell you her identity.

5 hours ago, Delta3416 said:

I had the same thought about the plot being too similar to Insurgence. But as you mention, the plot was decided in 2015 and Insurgence’s final version which featured the vaccines was released in 2017. 

I think it has something to do with GDC itself. 
As for the Puppet Master’s role in it, he told us to beware it. What does that mean with respect to him and Team Xen?

Interesting that you would mention Freya. Keeping with the Freya-is-Risa idea, at one point she refers to ‘Team Xen scum’. Likewise, Kieran says to Ren that he is ‘disgraceful’ for having joined Team Xen. So, those two must have personal motives for working with Madame X.

I'm pretty sure the Surfer duo have an agenda and are playing Madame X like a cheap fiddle. Also Kieran called out Ren for wearing that disgraceful uniform, which may instead be a jab at his robot body. But ehh, it's still showing contempt for Xen. 

1 hour ago, Tikkit said:

I doubt that anyone is playing Madame X like a fiddle. She seems to be way too competent for that, and she is probably fully aware of their disdain for team Xen.

Madame X fell down a trap door though, Hahahahah. 

Either way, they both have the ability to time travel. Perhaps the time diamond was given to Madame X by the surfer duo. 

On 4/6/2020 at 12:16 AM, Delta3416 said:

Keeping with the Freya-is-Risa idea, at one point she refers to ‘Team Xen scum’. Likewise, Kieran says to Ren that he is ‘disgraceful’ for having joined Team Xen. So, those two must have personal motives for working with Madame X.

On 4/6/2020 at 5:52 AM, Tikkit said:

She is probably fully aware of their disdain for team Xen.

I think that's just the surfers playing a role -- Risa is an actress after all.

Why do you expect them to be genuine? It's in their interest to not announce their actual opinions or alignment (if they specifically claim to despise Xens, you can see them as "weirdos but maybe allies at some point" and treat them as such instead of preparing to obliterate them on sight). And it's easier to lie when you're a figure shrouded in mystery that surfs through time.

Edited by Mindlack

True enough. Also, can we take a moment to congratulate Freya for managing to pull off using a Beheeyem? I know the Ultra Beast could be considered her ace, but to me the Beheeyem is, since it's the one that allows her to do all this crazy stuff like the battle with Melia and Aelita on the pyramid, and the supposed death of 

Spoiler

Crescent.

46 minutes ago, Tikkit said:

True enough. Also, can we take a moment to congratulate Freya for managing to pull off using a Beheeyem? I know the Ultra Beast could be considered her ace, but to me the Beheeyem is, since it's the one that allows her to do all this crazy stuff like the battle with Melia and Aelita on the pyramid, and the supposed death of 

Hide contents

Crescent.

That Beheeyem is HAX I tells you!!! HAX!!!!!! 

So we would clearly need some form of block against it, i guess we have the Delphox, but c'mon, surely some dark types could help us out. No bias or anything.

5 hours ago, Tikkit said:

I don't even want to block against it. It's amazing that her Beheeyem is so good, considering the fact that it's a Beheeyem. Makes me want to do a Psychic type monorun.

Whole reason i named my own Beheeyem "Freya" is because of her Beheeyem.