Pokemon Desolation Episode 5

Caz

So I've gotten through a decent amount of the game so far. I met up with the foxes, and am now trying to rescue some Pokemon. However, my team is kind of bad right now. Does anyone have any suggestions to improve the team? This is what I'm currently using:

Spoiler

ouvHNf9.png

18 minutes ago, Filthy Casual said:

So I've gotten through a decent amount of the game so far. I met up with the foxes, and am now trying to rescue some Pokemon. However, my team is kind of bad right now. Does anyone have any suggestions to improve the team? This is what I'm currently using:

Hide contents

ouvHNf9.png

Lol yeah, that team is pretty bad. 😂 But you can get a linkstone for Haunter from an old man near Addenfall. The Shiny stone is also close to this area too, it's hidden on a rock at the top of Hardened Mountain. At this point you have access to Shinx (Wild) and Ralts (30 credits) you can also get Starly, Joltik, Drilbur and some other decent Mons from the credit shops in Blackview. It really all boils down to personal tastes as the game kinda starts throwing good Mons at you after leaving Addenfall.

I actually don't understand the thought process that went into making Tristan LOL. Is it supposed to be literally impossible unless I cheat the AI somehow? P2; Heliolisk; Mega Lop; Exploud and Staraptor. All complete with competitive movesets and abilites... My team hasn't had any real troubles so far, in fact I've been able to beat almost everyone up to this point with at most 4 pokemon-Pangoro and Greninja I used almost exclusively until I got the magby, which is now a magmar and doing good work vs most people and I got a Luxray specifically for Amelia- and suddenly Tristan comes along and I can't do shit like wtf. No moon stone means I cant evolve my Nidorino, no magamarizer means I can't get magmortar and I don't even have credits for a ralts. Am I just stuck here because I activated the Tristan event or?

Picture of my team btw

478ef12d56c76bd6adffffb77fca5e2c.png

10 minutes ago, lolbro said:

I actually don't understand the thought process that went into making Tristan LOL. Is it supposed to be literally impossible unless I cheat the AI somehow? P2; Heliolisk; Mega Lop; Exploud and Staraptor. All complete with competitive movesets and abilites... My team hasn't had any real troubles so far, in fact I've been able to beat almost everyone up to this point with at most 4 pokemon-Pangoro and Greninja I used almost exclusively until I got the magby, which is now a magmar and doing good work vs most people and I got a Luxray specifically for Amelia- and suddenly Tristan comes along and I can't do shit like wtf. No moon stone means I cant evolve my Nidorino, no magamarizer means I can't get magmortar and I don't even have credits for a ralts. Am I just stuck here because I activated the Tristan event or?

Picture of my team btw

It is not impossible I tend to not have trouble with Tristan in my runs but I know a lot of people have difficulties with it. The way I beat tristan is to find a pokemon I can setup against and sweep from there. A flygon with superpower might be helpfull. Also can't you pickup a moon stone at this point? I'm not 100% sure since it is a while ago I played this.  Also what do you mean with stuck?

19 minutes ago, lolbro said:

Picture of my team btw

What you need is a sixth member. I had a Sudowoodo to wall out most of his mons.

1 hour ago, FairFamily said:

It is not impossible I tend to not have trouble with Tristan in my runs but I know a lot of people have difficulties with it. The way I beat tristan is to find a pokemon I can setup against and sweep from there. A flygon with superpower might be helpfull. Also can't you pickup a moon stone at this point? I'm not 100% sure since it is a while ago I played this.  Also what do you mean with stuck?

Where would I find a flygon? And how would it help? I highly doubt it lives boomburst from exploud and its not like I can force him to bring wigglytuff out because my only pokemon to kill exploud is pangoro and that's because the AI uses surf instead of boombursting again... Also by stuck I mean I can't get past the bridge to do any of the Ranger Center quests in blackview

1 hour ago, Filthy Casual said:

What you need is a sixth member. I had a Sudowoodo to wall out most of his mons.

?? Did you not read what I wrote? Up until Amelia I used at most 3 pokemon. Luxray beat one pokemon on Amelia's team and Nidorino has been in battle exclusively with grinding oriented trainers. The fact that I need to use one single pokemon to counter an entire gym leader and then toss it away is really stupid, considering sudowoodo is literally terrible. I guess the roggenrola in Silver Mountain Peak(?) could be good but that means I have to use my link stone on the boldore instead of on my Magmar.

Also does anybody know where I could get a moon stone if at all possible?

1 hour ago, lolbro said:

Where would I find a flygon? And how would it help? I highly doubt it lives boomburst from exploud and its not like I can force him to bring wigglytuff out because my only pokemon to kill exploud is pangoro and that's because the AI uses surf instead of boombursting again... Also by stuck I mean I can't get past the bridge to do any of the Ranger Center quests in blackview

?? Did you not read what I wrote? Up until Amelia I used at most 3 pokemon. Luxray beat one pokemon on Amelia's team and Nidorino has been in battle exclusively with grinding oriented trainers. The fact that I need to use one single pokemon to counter an entire gym leader and then toss it away is really stupid, considering sudowoodo is literally terrible. I guess the roggenrola in Silver Mountain Peak(?) could be good but that means I have to use my link stone on the boldore instead of on my Magmar.

Also does anybody know where I could get a moon stone if at all possible?

You can get flygon in a cabin at the top of the mountain (need a key though). The reason why it is a pkmn with a solid movepool and a good typing. A well placed superpower/rock slide/earthqauke is not to be underestimated.

Also I wouldn't worry about the link stone by the time you can get a magmarizer/ you can get an extra link stone.

@lolbro

You can find Trapinch in the shack at the top of Silver Mountain (where you first met Tristan).  Trapinch learns Superpower at lvl 40. Another option could be Primeape, it learns Cross Chop at lvl 41. Tristan used to be much worse, considering that Fighting-type moves were weakened by the previous field effect. Also, if you caught the Croagunk back in the jungle (before the battle with Connor), now might be a good time to raise and train it. Rock Smash has 70 BP in this game so it's a very viable STAB, not to mention Croagunk learns both Poison Jab and Sludge Bomb, both of which are effective against Wigglytuff.

I guess you should keep your Boldore as Boldore and not evolve it, you can still set up Stealth Rocks. I don't know what moves or ability your Luxray has, but I'd say it's your best bet against Staraptor. Or you can save Boldore and use it against Staraptor: should it use Close Combat, I'm pretty sure Boldore tanks it (especially with Sturdy!) and then knocks Staraptor out with Stone Edge.

You can eventually get Moon Stones in Cellia City, other than that I think Pickup or catching / stealing from wild Lunatones are the only methods of obtaining them. You can buy Magmarizer in Cellia as well. Another method would have been to catch the Magby when it's holding Magmarizer but it's no use to fret over spilled milk now.

Even though you did fine with just 3-4 Pokemon up to this point, it's never a bad idea to raise more. This game throws good Pokemon at you quite frequently.

Well, that was an experience! I just finished Desolation for the first time, and MAN, was it fun! I loved using my low tier heroes throughout the adventure! However, despite this, I also did the first thing I ever did in a Pokemon game and not include a water type on my team. I'd like to change that. Do you know the best ones currently available? Also, as Seel in the game? I'd love a Dewgong as my final member (don't get me wrong: Sudowoodo has been a beast up to this point, but I'd like to use something new).

EDIT: I forgot to show my team for suggestions for water types:

Spoiler

AaMqUbv.png

Just some notes:

Pidgeot is on the team because I plan on using him as my mega. I already used Mega Gengar in Insurgence, and that alone was a bit too broken for my tastes (it swept the first elite 4 member with just a sub up).

Shiftry is there to steal items. His ability lets me take other items in the wild, and honestly, I thought I stole the Mightyenite in that climactic battle.

If anyone is getting boxed, it's probably Pseudo. I hate to say that, as he's my favorite from Gen 2, but I really need a water type, and Pseudo is eventually going to lose his usefulness.

Edited by Filthy Casual

You need to throw a gourmet treat in a specific place in the blackview seas. Some water pokemon come out for the treat. I think I saw a staryu.

On 10/15/2017 at 11:52 AM, lolbro said:

Picture of my team btw

I UNDERSTAND YOU SO BADLY OMG

IT TOOK ME SEVERAL TRIES

I caught a Nidoran, evolved it into Nidoking

caught a Mankey, evolved it into Primeape

I even caught a Froslass... but forgot about Mega Lop's Scrappy T.T

It took me so much effort,,, and luck

My team was Meowstik, Camerupt, Primeape, Luxray, Froslass, and... I really don't remember, oh god, but when I beat him I was soooo relieved! He's literally like the most difficult leader I've seen so far. T.T

I like your Pokémon's nicknames btw

and good luck!!

He needed those names on his mons to defeat Tristan :P . Tristan was okay for me tho...used a Boldore, Frosslass, (both temporary), Blaziken, Walrein (big wall this is. It can withstand hi jump kick of requiem or mega lopunny), Gengar, Magneton (got rekt by fighting attacks).

Honestly in Desolation,the difference between a gym battle and a random trainer battle is really huge.

All the trainer I met with gallade, had used false swipe against me.Why would they even need false swipe? I can understand if someone wanted to catch a pokemon and use false swipe on it.

Tristan's AI is dumb.Just a simple example.Tristan sends out staraptor and I sent out roggenrola(Yes,I didn't evolve it).

Staraptor uses close combat and roggenrola(sturdy) uses stone edge.It does huge damage.Tristan and I both heal.Again staraptor uses close combat and another stat lose and roggenrola OHKOes.

My blaziken takes care of the rest.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Yagami said:

All the trainer I met with gallade, had used false swipe against me.Why would they even need false swipe? I can understand if someone wanted to catch a pokemon and use false swipe on it.

It's because Caz only makes movepools for boss battles. All the rest get automatically generated which are most likely the last 4 moves a pokemon can learn at that point.

Hey guys :) I'm pumped that this game is coming back as it is one of my favourite pokemon fan games. One thing I love about the game are its different sidequests and collectibles, but one collectible item (or items) seems very elusive to me. I'm talking about the coloured pieces where you find at random hard to find locations. Can someone tell me how you find all of them and what purpose do they play exactly? I currently have three and I'm sure there's more, but I'm not sure which ones I'm missing. Thanks in advance!