Trespassers V2: Tales of the Masks [IC]

DragonRage

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Sorry, but it's like a maze down there," Nuparu taps at his mask in thought, "I don't spend a ton of time on the surface, and I don't go that deep very often.  Not because I don't know my way around, but because there's a lot of things down there that would love to eat a matoran if they could catch one.  Believe me, I'd love for you to be able to go in there without putting my neck on the line, but even if it was possible...  There's a fair number of critters willing to eat soil or rock down there too.  I don't fancy your chances if one of them happens by while you're retrieving the Toa Stone if you go alone.  United we triumph, divided we get eaten by a Blade Burrower or something."

"Don't worry yourself too hard", Cicivexa put out, "just uphold your end of the deal and take us down as far as you do know. If anything does go wrong, know that everyone else here is almost as strong as me, perhaps stronger."

He then leaned in towards the two matoran, before speaking in hushed tones. "And given a good opportunity, I can reduce any beast to naught but boiling slag, as easy as I can breathe."

Cell pauses his digging when the Nuparu mentions asking if they would be able to defend against "Rahi beasts".  He looked up and gave the Matoran an assuring nod and thumbs up.

Whatever these Rahi beasts were he doubted they could be much if any worse than one of those damned Slashers.

Right around the time Gozer said to move he finally found what he was done with his inventory check and visibly ready to go himself.

Since the choice seems to have been made to go for the Earth Stone, Nuparu and Halhi lead the group to a tunnel hidden under a large tree.  The way is twisty and dark, lit only by a glowing rock Nuparu pulls out of his backpack, and similar rocks set in the walls near higher-traffic areas.  Other matoran, armored mostly in black, purple, and orange, pass by at times, but don't seem inclined to confront you once they notice your local guides.  Nuparu consults a map on a stone tablet a few times, but he seems fairly confident of the way as he takes you deeper underground, and the air and walls begin to warm...

If you have anything you'd like to do before you reach the Toa Stone's resting place, now is the time.

Hiroki peered down the tunnel, somewhat on edge. She was confident that she could handle whatever this place had to throw at her, but she wasn't fond of being underground. The only time she had been was probably the second-worst thing she'd experienced in her life, though it didn't have anything to do with that location in particular. Hiroki shivered slightly at the memory, despite the warmth of the area. Focus on the task at hand, Hiroki. They were likely going to have to fight, if what their guide had implied was true. "What is, um, a Rahi beast, anyway?" Know thine enemy, and all that. 

Cell followed along giving off a feint glow himself, not terribly bright nor reaching more than a couple feet, but better than total darkness at least.

He listened closely for the answer to Hiroki's question, but otherwise didn't appear phased by the fact that they were wandering around in a series of monster infested underground caves.

"Well, 'Rahi' literally means 'not us'.  It used to be used to refer to anything that wasn't a matoran.  So, uh, all of you would technically qualify," Halhi shares, "But meanings shift over time.  Now it's come to be more of a term for wild creatures, things that can't speak and don't have a village to call home."

"Down here that mostly means burrowing Rahi," Nuparu pans his lightstone around the corridor nervously, "Blade burrowers, giant worms, several flavors of twenty ton bug, Fikou spiders if we're really unlucky.  In this light, their webs are going to be practically invisible.  Fortunately, they usually prefer the surface."

"Speaking of light, do we get any of those things you have there? In case we get separated at any point?" The lights were rather faint, and it made Edmond wonder whether it was merely by way of energy conservation, or if they were incapable of producing any light brighter than the stones which Nuparu was carrying.

Cell digs in his bag again, this time pulling out a small glass vessel filled with a black liquid.  He scrounges around for  bit of cloth or a wick from another grenade to strip down before breaking the seal on the oil grenade and stuffing the makeshift wick inside.  After giving it a few seconds to soak the wick he lights off the simple candle and hands it over to Edmond.

Soryn gathered electricity in his fingertips and attempted to form a sphere of electricity, much like he would with blood. But to his dismay, trying to contain electricity to a particular form only caused it to violently disperse. His conventional methods of fighting would have to change, as he was no longer able to deal with liquids. Instead, using his body as a conduit, Soryn began conducting electricity, using his body as a conduit. It began as mere sparks, but soon electricity leapt across his entire body, This would have to do in place of Hemosphere. Satisfied with the result, he dispersed the electricity.

"Just how stable are these tunnels?" Soryn asked with slight concern. "I'd certainly hate to be buried beneath rubble, or have our way out be blocked."

"Uh, the tunnels should be pretty stable," Nuparu guesstimates, "They've been here for as long as anyone can remember, even the Turaga, and they're over a thousand years old!  If these were going to collapse, they probably would have done it by now.  Buuut, just to be on the safe side, maybe don't use any explosives down here?  If you have explosives."

"Sorry, but lightstones are very valuable, especially in these times," Halhi explains, "The brightest ones have to be reserved for the village centers.  The Makuta is the master of the shadows, so he could be anywhere that darkness falls, or so the legend goes.  The well-lit village centers are the only places we can be certain are safe.  Why, he could be in this very tunnel, and...  We'd never know he was here unless he wanted us to."

"Oh, foolish little matoran,"  A voice like grinding rocks rings out from before the group, where a pair of red eyes burn in the darkness beyond where the feeble light of Nuparu's lightstone and Cell's candle reach.  Based on the height of the eyes, whoever it is towers over everyone in the party.  "What possible reason would have to hide from any of you?  Here?  In my domain?  You may as well have stepped into the palm of my hand."

Nuparu drops his lightstone in shock, sending the shadows skittering crazily across the walls, before a tendril extends from the darkness and seems to snuff the phosphorescent rock out, leaving only Cell's candle to protect the party from the looming blackness.  Halhi responds a bit more aggressively.  She draws her machete and takes a few wild swings at the darkness, until her weapon strikes the side of the tunnel and flies out of her stiff, nervous grip.  "Oh, Mata Nui preserve us," She whispers, backing toward the tenuous safety of the candle.

"Fear not, little one.  My brother cannot hear you," The Makuta assures you all, "His slumber shall continue unabated, as is best.  Do you not see?  These matoran are blinded by the barest hint of shadows.  Blind to a greater threat than any I could pose, one you all well know.  I may not share your power to travel between worlds, but I have seen what is coming to this world in the stars, and what is already here in the minds of its victims.  You surely have greater concerns than the well-being of a few...  peasants.  Abandon this pointless quest for the Toa Stones.  Come with me, and I shall give you the knowledge you need to purge this infestation from my world."

"I. . .thanks, Cell. It's fine." Was he interpreting this correctly? Did they have no source of light save these light stones? They were mechanical beings, but did they run off of some form of electricity or something else? There were a number of things to solve--At the encroaching darkness, Edmond gripped the candle more tightly, uncertain whether to shield and protect the flame, or let it display it's full brilliance.

"Oh sh--Hello. Makuta? Nice to meet you." Edmond said offhandedly, before attempting to whisper to Halhi, "Have you ever heard of a magnet? Lodestone?"

Cicivexa stepped forward, towards the glowing eyes. "If you have no reason to hide, then why remain in the shadows? Show yourself, and we shall consider your plea." Cicivexa's arms were crossed, making it hard to grasp either of his rods if he wanted to attack quickly. He trusted that the delay wouldn't be too long to outweigh the element of surprise, however. As soon as this 'Makuta' revealed itself, he would bombard it with frozen death. 

As the eyes appear Cell staggers back, trying to stay within the light.

He rummages around in his bag of grenades again and pulls out a small copper colored cylinder with a white band, he gets it ready, but doesn't actually activate it yet.

Cell pulls a Flashbang out of his bag.

Hiroki, when the light was dropped, summoned her armor around her. The Hellfire Knight popped into existence, coating the small girl's body in a shell of thick alloy armor and a veritable forest of weaponry; weaponry that immediately began humming and emitting an orange glow. The main cannon on her right arm swung toward where the voice was coming from, though she kept it idling in a primed state rather than beginning to fire just yet. "So you admit that you are a threat and not an ally," she said simply, the voice changing function in the suit masking any quaver that might have been present in her voice. 

"Not to be rude Mr. Makuta, but usually when making a deal people talk face-to-face and not face-to-'Two glowing red lights trying way too hard to be scary'." The gunslinger was quite nonchalante while speaking, though still kept his hand close to Ace should words become action. "Besides, I don't quite like the way I hear you've been treating these so called 'peasants' of yours. So, forgive if I'm not too keen on this whole deal at first."

"Is there a point to conversing like this anymore?" Soryn had no difficulty seeing in the dark, being a vampire and all, but he activated his electrical barrier on his body to allow his allies to have some light to permeate their surroundings. "Those who choose to dwell in darkness oft are able to be trustworthy. It would seem that an entity like you would be the type to not cede to anyone's request. Otherwise you would have shown yourself by now."

“Hide in the shadows?  I am the shadows.  The shadows in this tunnel.  The shadows behind your backs.  The shadows in your hearts.  I know you, heroes.  Better, perhaps, than you know yourselves.

“Edmond, a pleasure to meet you.  It’s always nice to talk shop with a fellow schemer, especially one so polite with his avowed enemies.  The way you sold your allies out to the Megacorporations of Seattle was a brilliant piece of work, even if you had second thoughts in the end.  Or was that not the intent?  Perhaps I might teach you a way to ensure you will always be at your allies side when they need you?  It would certainly be within my power.  As would simply instructing you in the fine art of conserving your pawns, a vital skill for any planner.

“Cicivexa, the so-called Black Mage, dabbling in arts his ancestors shaped worlds with and fancying himself a master.  I’m honestly not sure I should bother with you.  Your ilk came within heartbeats of destroying your world, and I’m rather fond of this one.  Besides, any fool with a big stick can destroy.  Give him a tinderbox and he’ll light fires too.  Fire and shadow could be a potent combination, but I must wonder if cutting all of our losses would be the wiser course.  There’s little point in ruling a cinder, or an ice block.  Do you even have any skills aside from killing and burning?

“Hiroki…  As a fellow master of deceit I must compliment your skills.  If not for my Mask of Shadows, even I wouldn’t spot a hint of your fear.  Put your toys away.  We both know that popgun of yours will never down a god.  You tested this, I believe.  Was it sufficient to the task?  No?  Within my vaults lay a weapon.  Cordak is its name, desolation in your native tongue, and cordak is what it will bring upon your enemies.  With such a weapon, you might compensate for your… deficiencies.”  His eyes briefly pan up and down the armored warrior’s body with a dismissive air.  “Well, perhaps some protosteel plating, a Kanohi mask of accuracy, and hydraulic strength enhancements are also be in order.

“Soryn, Soryn, Soryn.  Whatever shall we do with you?  You call yourself a hero on the word of a single virtuous woman.  But we both know the truth, and soon so will your so-called friends.  There is little on this island with the life-giving blood and bioelectricity you must consume.  Should I command the Rahi of this island to flee your presence, what will sate your thirst?  The matoran?  Your former allies?  How long will it be before you stop seeing friends, and begin seeing foods?  The words are so similar, are they not? You will join me now, or you will do it later.  Only the body count is yours to decide.

“Jade the gunslinger.  The mortal who stands with gods by the strength of his weapon and the skill of decades of practice.  Such a fragile power you rely on, mortal.  Your friends withstand hits that even I would feel, and fight undaunted.  But all it takes to end your pitiful efforts is one.  Broken.  Finger.”  As the Makuta says this, Jade feels the light brush of a huge, jagged hand across his trigger finger, gone like a whispering breeze but impossible to forget.  “Your ability to assuage your guilt hangs by such a tenuous thread, mortal.  Mayhaps you should consider having that thread reinforced.

“Gozer, scion of the earth.  Avatar of the earth.  Puppet of the earth.  Is there even a point in addressing you rather than the rocks and soil?  Do you even care for Dackly?  For anyone at all?  Is there a single spark of soul in that shell of rock and metal?  Bah, I’m wasting my time with you.  One does not reason with a mindless automaton. 

“Cell…  Phfah.  Too easy.  Have a shiny,”  A silvery disc arcs out of the shadows to land at the strange creature’s feet.  “A taste of what you might have the opportunity to steal or be issued from my vaults should you choose the rational path forward.  I trust you are smart enough to recognize it.

“But of course you don’t trust me.  Why would you?  I wouldn’t trust me, were I approached like this.  Fortunately, I happen to have brought an assurance.  The Kanohi Rode, the Great Mask of Truth,” The darkness recedes, revealing a silver mask that gleams faintly in the candlelight.  “One who wears the Rode cannot be deceived.  Lies, falsehoods, and even half-truths fail against its ancient and subtle power.  Don it, you who doubt me, and see for yourself.  I am no evil.  I am the only hope this world has left to fend off the Trespassers.  I could do it myself, if I had to.  But with your assistance, perhaps the matoran might survive the battle to serve me as is their destiny.”

“That mask…  It’s not infected!”  Nuparu exclaims, sounding stunned, “If the mask was trapped, it’d be covered in rust and dents by Makuta’s corruption, but it isn’t.  It’s clean!  Aside from infection, there’s absolutely no way to turn a Great Mask against its wearer.  Somebody take it, quick!  Its power might help us escape the Makuta!”

“Of course it isn’t infected,” The Makuta almost sounds offended, “Infected masks on intelligent beings create boot-licking yes-men without a scrap of creativity.  Giving one to future allies of such caliber would be a tragic waste of talent.”

“There’s no way it’s a Mask of Truth.  If the Makuta speaks the truth, and the legends agree with what he said about the Rode, it’s the perfect counter to his abilities,” Halhi reasons, “There’s no way he’d give us something that effective against him.  But there are no bad mask powers.”  Daringly, she darts forward, grabs the mask, and rushes back to the group, pressing it into the closest pair of hands, Dackly’s.  “Quick!  One of you put it on and activate it!  It’s our best chance!”

Cap's teeth grits, as this dark "God" ignores him.

Gozer, meanwhile, just stands there, frozen, pondering.

Makuta's words have no effect on him, but what effect could they have on Dackly? He needs to figure out a retort or-

"Suweeeet!  Thanks Ma-loot-a, being able to pierce falsehoods in your sight?  That's easy money when you've got an eye on the prize like moi!"

Dackly says, spinning the mask like a basketball, before plopping it on her face.

Cell stands there trying his hardest not to react, just stand there, unfeeling, uncar- oh who is he kidding?  He reaches down and looks to either side to see if anyone was watching him.  He picks up the disk and examines it, flipping it over in his hands and getting the best feel for it he can in the dim light of his glowing head.  A red claw holding a sphere, 184 etched on one edge, and an over all aerodynamic structure.

Interesting...very very interesting....

That was it. The faint sound of Hiroki growling beneath her helmet - the onboard equipment fortunately not picking this up as something to be modulated for once - was barely audible over the whine of her weapons systems preparing to fire. The Makuta had struck several sore spots in rapid succession, and the dismissive glance at her gear was the icing on the particularly infuriating cake. "TRY ME." She wasn't going to sit here and allow herself to be insulted like this; doing nothing would be admitting her weakness, and that was unacceptable. The rational part of her told her that what she was about to do was madness, but the part actually in control clenched her right fist. A lance of light burst outward from the cannon on her right arm, headed towards the darkness below the set of glowing red eyes that had dared to mock her so.

Cicivexa knew not to trust the dark being. He had only proposed diplomacy to see if it could read his true intentions. He didn't expect to read that much, however. He drew his Stardust Rod instinctively, as shadow consumed his face, leaving only two, glowing yellow eyes to pierce the darkness. "No fear of my power, huh? Death wish, I presume." But while he had begun casting, he saw Dackly and Cell taking well to this foul monster's temptations. "Do not listen to it! It might've taken control over the matoran! We cannot trust a word it says!"