Quotes

Cyrus

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

“The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon.” ~ The King's Wit, The Way of Kings

“We follow the codes not because they bring gain, but because we loathe the people we would otherwise become.” ~ Dalinar Kholin, The Way of Kings

“As I fear not a child with a weapon he cannot lift, I will never fear the mind of a man who does not think.” ~ Words of Radiance

Edited by DragonMasterKrim

• 3 weeks later...
This war is all there is for you.

What else do you have? You walk among mortals and immortals, a creature lost in time. Your only purpose is the struggle.

Does it seem unfair? To be brought back into this, the end of days, the long dwindling exhalation of an ancient corpse? You were at peace. Now you are a dead husk charged with war. Do you remember anything of freedom?

Fight on, then. The war IS everything.

But consider the choices before you.

-Oryx

"It's true. The world may be destroyed by the coming of the dark god. Then again, it may not. I question the way in which our society is designed. No matter what strength a person has, it is the station he is born into that controls his destiny. And you cannot control where you will be born. Do you believe that a person of low birth should simply endure the curse of his station? I think not. If you are stronger than those around you, you should benefit from your strength. This is why I will use my strength to remake this world. Class and rank will not matter. Human and sub-human will not matter. The strong will possess everything. The weak will submit to their will. Is this not the meaning of peace? "

~ Ashnard, Fire Emblem Path of Radiance

(As misguided as he was, I really like this quote)

Edited by DragonMasterKrim

I'm pretty sure I've put this in here before but it bears repeating.

Prayer/poem written by Gen. Douglas MacArthur.

Build me a son, O Lord, who will be strong enough to know when he is weak and brave enough to face himself when he is afraid;

one who will be proud and unbending in honest defeat, and humble and gentle in victory.

Build me a son whose wishes will not take the place of deeds;

a son who will know Thee—and that to know himself is the foundation stone of knowledge.

Lead him, I pray, not in the path of ease and comfort,

but under the stress and spur of difficulties and challenge.

Here let him learn to stand up in the storm;

here let him learn compassion for those who fail.

Build me a son whose heart will be clear, whose goal will be high;

a son who will master himself before he seeks to master other men;

one who will reach into the future, yet never forget the past.

And after all these things are his, add, I pray, enough of a sense of humor,

so that he may always be serious, yet never take himself too seriously.

Give him humility, so that he may always remember the simplicity of true greatness,

the open mind of true wisdom, and the weakness of true strength.

Then I, his father, will dare to whisper, “I have not lived in vain.”

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a big fan of "who wants to be such an asshole" Bukowski.

“Show me a man who lives alone and has a perpetually clean kitchen, and 8 times out of 9 I'll show you a man with detestable spiritual qualities.”

“Find what you love and let it kill you.”

"No one wants fairness, squad leader. Those who have little want more, and they claim that it is right and fair that they should. Those who have much claim that their prosperity and power come from their abilities, and that also is fair. Those who would be even-handed anger both those who have little and those who have much."

"These tears are real. I'm jealousy, I'm spite and hate- to the core I'm mean. I'm nearly human. Pity me, I'm almost a human being." the devil.

I just saw this on bay12 and thought the people here would appreciate it.

All of you, don't doubt yourselves. You know how happy it makes me to see all of you happy? It's a sense of accomplishment, achieved serenity, just a time of peace. I want to help you in any way I can, I'm no professional, but i'll wear myself thin, turn to dust just to assist you all. All of us have each other, all of us are with each other. It's just another type of family, we don't need to share blood. No matter how dark it gets, we'll go through hell to make everything right. I do what I can for forgiveness, you all have your reasons, just don't stop. You can be as independent as you wish, but you're human. You need the company of others, and it feels great to have company. You aren't alone. Even when you're gone, I'll never forget any of you.

Even when I'm gone, i'll never forget any of you.

Everyone is here for everyone.

So no matter how dark it gets, there's always another light to reach. You can always see it. Just march on through, and fight for it. Imagine a handful of people, old and young, rich and poor, clean and ragged, stalwart and crumbling. A dark expanse, everyone hanging on to everyone, pushing on to beacons of light in that void. That's us. Some of us are in different places, but if you can see this, we're together. Always another light.

Always.

I haven't actually contributed here yet. Let me start off with a family watchword:

"Moderation in everything, including in moderation"

It's more or less ingrained into my subconscious. I haven't yet found a life situation wherein this policy doesn't hold wise.